Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jared Sullinger Out for Season

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2,656 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Wow

Back injured. Will need surgery.

I think you can stick a fork in this year. 

Edit: This is from Rivers yesterday:

Rivers said Sullinger began experiencing back discomfort two weeks ago, but the coach doesn’t expect it will be a major injury.

“There’s nothing, I don’t think, that is bad, just spasms,” Rivers said. “When you have a back, you have a back, it’s not one thing, it’s
everything.

“I’m not that concerned. Can his miss games here or there? He may, but it’s not anything [long-term] or anything like that.

“My guess is he plays with it every day. I keep saying, because I had a back injury my whole career, once you have a back, you have a back. It never goes away. You just have to play through it.”

Of course, Sullinger dropped in the draft due to his back. 

Edited by Jeff Van GULLY, 01 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#2 dhellers

• 534 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hmm, maybe that is why he went 21st.

What at the chances this surgery really fixes things?

#3 teddykgb

• 3,761 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Motherfuck.  This really sucks.

#4 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,886 posts

Here's wishing pick 22 was used on Mr Jones 3.

#5 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,346 posts

Ride the year out.  Make no dumb trades. Reassess.

#6 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,561 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Has he had a back procedure before?

#7 Brickowski

• PipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

What kind of surgery?  What's the prognosis?

#8 fairlee76

• 1,715 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Here's wishing pick 22 was used on Mr Jones 3.

Yup.  Sully going under the knife this early in his career is a scary proposition.

#9 Wilco's Last Fan

• 394 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

On a team with ancients like Pierce, KG and Jason Terry, three guys aged 20 (Sully), 26 (Rondo) and 22 (Bradley) suffer the three biggest injuries. Yes, we had it coming with Sully, but still- wow.

#10 Statman

• 597 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

How is Boston's medical and training staff so terrible at detecting injuries on our players? 

#11 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

It has to be something like a herniated disk. You don't undergo surgery for back spasms. A severe muscle tear? Perhaps. But that would have shelved him immediately 2 weeks ago, and there would have been no way to play through it. So I'm betting it's skeletal.

#12 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,758 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is a herniated disc given the stuff that came out before the draft.  They found a disc bulge and thought it was due to having "tight hamstrings," and thought stretching, yoga and massage would address the bulge. 

#13 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8,458 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Fuck is the operative work here.

#14 nighthob

• 3,007 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

How is Boston's medical and training staff so terrible at detecting injuries on our players? 

It was known before the draft, the staff just thought there were other ways of dealing with it shy of surgery.

#15 Statman

• 597 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

It was known before the draft, the staff just thought there were other ways of dealing with it shy of surgery.

I understand Sullinger dropped due to concerns about this back, but Doc was saying yesterday that it was just back spasms.  Either he was lying or our medical staff is incompetent. 

#16 fairlee76

• 1,715 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I understand Sullinger dropped due to concerns about this back, but Doc was saying yesterday that it was just back spasms.  Either he was lying or our medical staff is incompetent. 

A coach or a member of management playing possum?!  That never happens!

#17 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,197 posts

"It's just a nickname"

Anyway, this is worse new to me than Rondo.  Suck.

#18 dhellers

• 534 posts

Fuck is the operative work here.

Not to worry, Wilcox is ready to step into the breech! 

What's the over/under on games-until-injury for Wilcox. 10?

#19 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 13,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think I'm more pissed about the thought of more Brandon Bass than I am of the actual injury to Sullinger, which we always knew was a distinct possibility.

#20 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

The great Boston sports injury plague continues. No one is safe.

#21 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 13,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

The great Boston sports injury plague continues. No one is safe.

Not true. The players who suck are perfectly safe.

#22 DannyDarwinism

• 1,991 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Man, this is a serious downer, I really like rooting for this kid.

#23 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

It's not really a downer for me.  The team isn't going anywhere anyway, so hopefully he's just ready for next year.

#24 oumbi

• 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

and in related news, the melo era is about to begin. he is down from maine and ready to go. watch for better than advertised offense. and also watch him have clueless moments on defense.

i have seen D league broadcasts of melo play a few games. he has talent, but he looks a bit lost much of the time. 

on defense, he likes to perch under the basket and waits to block shots. he also leaves his man when he thinks he can block the shot of another player. maybe this is a legacy of being at 'cuse and their zone, but i would think the maine coaches would have corrected that. this also leaves him out of position for rebounds.

in the nba, the shooter will probably pass to the man melo leaves. that will result in a number of dunks on melo. this problem will be solved as he learns to play better team defense. but for now, it might  be a problem.

melo's offense has improved and he has a nice jump shot that is coming along, as well as a decent hook shot. 

and for what it is worth, he also seems to box out well. 
but....i do not get my hopes up for melo to come in and carry the team.

he has talent and now we can all watch him develop it.

final note, sully was quickly becoming my favorite celtic. this latest news just sucks, it stinks, it sucks.

#25 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8,458 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think I ve gone from denial and anger to coping: I am searching the list of NY Knicks draft picks through the years to see if there's a possibility of a  Ewing-Anthony Theory here.

#26 DannyDarwinism

• 1,991 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

It's not really a downer for me.  The team isn't going anywhere anyway, so hopefully he's just ready for next year.

Well that's a big part of my concern.  Kid who slipped in the draft due to long-term concerns about his back is now out for the year with back surgery scheduled, 45 games into his rookie season.

#27 nighthob

• 3,007 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well, that was the warning sign I'm guessing. They pulled him from a game due to back spasms and then scheduled the MRI to see what condition the bulging disk was in. I'm guessing the MRI was scheduled this morning when the bad news hit.

#28 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

If you believe in the 10,000 hours rule then missing key development time is crucial no matter where the team is going. Plus another valuable trade piece goes down in flames.

#29 stp130

• 649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

ARRRRGHHH, this is getting fucking ridiculous. Other than the Big 3 trade, this franchise hasn't caught a break since Parish/McHale/Joe Barry Carroll.

#30 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

If you believe in the 10,000 hours rule then missing key development time is crucial no matter where the team is going. Plus another valuable trade piece goes down in flames.

No one would have traded for him with his back issues.  The team knew about the issue, but still drafted him.  These are the risks you take when you draft a player like this.

#31 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

No one would have traded for him with his back issues.  

Pretty blanket statement for a kid who was doing well with more playing time and showed NO signs of issues until now.

NOW it's safe to say he is untradeable until he banks multiple pain free seasons.

#32 Koufax

• 1,979 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Here's a quote from Radsoxfan, one of our resident MDs, in the game thread last night:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Well, Sullinger made it through 44 games before his herniated disc caused problems. Probably better than some teams expected.

#33 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Pretty blanket statement for a kid who was doing well with more playing time and showed NO signs of issues until now.

NOW it's safe to say he is untradeable until he banks multiple pain free seasons.

Look, I was drinking the Kool-Aid on this kid as much as anybody.  But, in the back of our minds we all knew that this could happen at any time with him.  Back issues can come out of nowhere with someone who has had a major injury in the past.  I was hoping that it didn't happen but unfortunately it has.  If I were a GM and somebody offered me Sullinger in a deal I'd have asked for his medicals and would highly question taking him back.  It's just the way it is after he'd been red-flagged in the draft process less than a year prior.

#34 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,515 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Who knew that the Red Sox medical staff was now on the payroll for the Celtics?

This team was never going anywhere anyway, at least once Rondo got hurt.  The question is where do we go from here?  Officially tank for a draft pick or fight for a playoff spot and get swept in the first round?

#35 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Chris Forsberg
@ESPNForsberg

From the Celtics: Jared Sullinger underwent successful lumbar disc surgery today at the New England Baptist Hospital.

#36 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,813 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Young guys get hurt, old guys stay healthy. Go figger

#37 Brickowski

• PipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I've still not seen any information on what kind of surgery and what the prognosis might be.

#38 Koufax

• 1,979 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I like how the hospitals announce that surgery was successful before the patient is even released.  We won't know if it was succesful for quite some time. 

I once had an uncle who has a succesful brain tumor operation -- followed quickly by his demise. 

#39 DannyDarwinism

• 1,991 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Chris Forsberg
@ESPNForsberg

From the Celtics: Jared Sullinger underwent successful lumbar disc surgery today at the New England Baptist Hospital.

As always, any info from our resident docs, PTs, RNs or guys who spent half of a JV season on the sidelines with scoliosis regarding prognosis would be greatly appreciated.

#40 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 15,309 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Can Dino Radja come out of retirement?

#41 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 13,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I like how the hospitals announce that surgery was successful before the patient is even released.  We won't know if it was succesful for quite some time. 

I once had an uncle who has a succesful brain tumor operation -- followed quickly by his demise. 

Yeah, pretty sure a "successful" surgery is one where the patient didn't die.

#42 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I don't think you ever want to see a player go under the knife but if the surgery can correct the issue that made him slip (still unknown) wouldn't we rather have it done now than say in 3,4 5 years down the road?

Not to change the topic of this thread but this goes to show even more this team needs to pull a SA Spurs 96-97 and tank it. While getting into the top 3 worst record is probably not possible could they get into the 5-7 range and have an outside chance of hitting the jackpot with the lottery??? Hell I think the NBA draft gods owe us one after Bias, Duncan, and Durant. You want to improve this team next year and have any shot of winning another title with Pierce and KG? Tank it and give your chance at a young superstar. Norlean Noels with Rondo and Bradley and an aging KG would be on of the best defenses in the NBA.

#43 GBrushTWood

• 238 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Chris Forsberg
‏@ESPNForsberg

Dick Bavetta reportedly whistled Sullinger for a foul upon being wheeled out of the operating room.

Edited by GBrushTWood, 01 February 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#44 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,699 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

It's too bad Darko up and left.

#45 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Look, I was drinking the Kool-Aid on this kid as much as anybody.  But, in the back of our minds we all knew that this could happen at any time with him.  Back issues can come out of nowhere with someone who has had a major injury in the past.  I was hoping that it didn't happen but unfortunately it has.  If I were a GM and somebody offered me Sullinger in a deal I'd have asked for his medicals and would highly question taking him back.  It's just the way it is after he'd been red-flagged in the draft process less than a year prior.

It was clear his draft stock dropped due to back issues. Danny knew Sullinger was a high risk, high reward draft pick. When you take that kind of chance you run increased risk of something like this happening. So it goes.

#46 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 46,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Pretty easy risk to take at that point in the draft, but it looks like it won't work out. Not a doctor, but I'm not optimistic for his future.

#47 Stu Nahan

• 3,911 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Not true. The players who suck are perfectly safe.

Tell that to Lackey. This frankly scares the shit out of me as far as his long term prospects go.

#48 dhellers

• 534 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

It's too bad Darko up and left.

Mabye KG can call Darko and promise to be nicer during practices?

Edited by dhellers, 01 February 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#49 Ed Hillel

• 46,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

As I understand it, Sully's back problems stem from one leg being a few inches longer than the other. I don't see much of a future fix there.

#50 Ed Hillel

• 46,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Mabye KG can call Darko and promise to be nicer during practices?

Oh sweet, maybe we could lure Wally out of retirement too on the same premise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users