Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

ISO MacBook replacement charger that won't spontaneously combust

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AnkleStigmata

• 1,103 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have an early-2009 MacBook and the charger has croaked (60w with "T" MagSafe). Seems my options are to pay $80 for a new charger from Apple (with 1-year warranty) or a quarter or a third of that for knockoffs on Amazon or wherever. Although my original charger lasted four years with some pretty heavy use (including by my teen-age son for almost a year now) I have read countless reviews of how the Apple chargers suck - wire tends to fray near the MagSafe plug, sometimes the adapter runs very hot (my old one used to be pretty warm), etc. But the reviews of the knockoffs are no better, including reports of adapters melting/sparking/etc, and also of one seller who touts the things as new Apple products when clearly they are refurbs.

Anyone know of a good option that I'm missing? 

#2 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 11,459 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

In all honesty those all really your only two options. And I would go with the Apple charger, Never go with apple knockoffs (unless they are also name brand, like a Belkin Ipod charger I got when I got my ipod) because of what you said (in the reviews). The apple charger I have (one year old) runs warm, like your old one but not hot. So yes if the apple charger comes with a 1 year warranty, I would get that, as its worth it)

#3 crystalline

• 2,519 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

There are at least two sizes of MacBook chargers floating around out there, 60W and 80W I believe.  They look the same except the larger wattage has a larger white transformer box.  If you try to use the smaller charger for a computer that draws the larger amount of power, the charger will get very hot and this may be the reason for the reports you've seen.

#4 derekson

• 3,655 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

The newer Apple chargers that come with the L connector instead of the T seem to be a lot better at resisting fraying and wire strain around the connection to the plug. I'd just suck it up and buy the new one. Like crystalline said though, make sure you get the right Wattage. If it's just a plain MacBook it should be the 60W (the 80W is for MacBook Pros and the 45W is for MacBook Airs).

Edited by derekson, 28 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#5 AnkleStigmata

• 1,103 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

The newer Apple chargers that come with the L connector instead of the T seem to be a lot better at resisting fraying and wire strain around the connection to the plug. I'd just suck it up and buy the new one. Like crystalline said though, make sure you get the right Wattage. If it's just a plain MacBook it should be the 60W (the 80W is for MacBook Pros and the 45W is for MacBook Airs).

Thanks all. I need the 60W. Apple support site indicates 85W would work too but that it won't charge any faster; might it run cooler? In theory it would seem so. Price is the same.

#6 kelpapa

• 816 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I went through this process a year ago with my macbook. I ended up buying a knockoff through Amazon, and it broke almost immediately. The company told me they would send me out a new one, but I couldn't wait for it. I ended up going to a Best Buy and buying another one while I waited. I waited several weeks for the knockoff, and finally called them back. They claimed the mail must have lost it, etc. Like two weeks later, I still didn't have it and called them back. 

I ended up getting it, but it was a piece of shit. I wouldn't recommend going with a knockoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users