Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Pedro named special assistant to Ben Cherington

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Pedro Martinez named Red Sox special assistant to the general manager
Evan Drellich

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/294497951357739008
link to tweet

Welcome back to the family, Pedro.

#2 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

What do "special assistants to the general manager" generally do?  Is it just a figurehead position?

#3 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

What do "special assistants to the general manager" generally do?  Is it just a figurehead position?

They'll do different projects in all aspects of baseball operations.  It's similar to an internship basically.

#4 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,127 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Is this so they can retire his number?

#5 glennhoffmania

• likes the tomahawk chop

• 8,384,290 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Is this part of the plan to get his number retired?

Edited by glennhoffmania, 24 January 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#6 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 9,167 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

If the FO wanted to do this just so they could retire his number, they could just change the rule instead. It's not like some outside entity is holding them to the requirements.

#7 glennhoffmania

• likes the tomahawk chop

• 8,384,290 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm unable to edit, but damn you, Jayhoz.

#8 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

This organization is operating as one large marketing department.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

On the radio this morning Cherington said that Pedro is working for the team and that he and Varitek were part of 3-day baseball ops meetings this week.

Edited by SoxScout, 24 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#10 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

There have been comments, including those from Pedro, to suggest that he would like to get involved in team-related activities at some point.  I think the number retirement may be a pleasant byproduct of this arrangement.

I can envision him working with Nieves in Spring Training and engaging in other work to build his experience in working on various elements of the baseball operations.  All while providing a flexible schedule to help him determine his interest level, workload and potential path.

I love this.

#11 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

This organization is operating as one large marketing department.

Any marketing director worth his salt will tell you that he can't do his job really well unless this is the case.

#12 Saints Rest

• 3,777 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I wonder if this will be the equivalent to the way they used to use Ted Williams during ST as a guru of sorts to the whole organization, coupled with a role as uber-scout/RSN Ambassador in Latin America.  SO essentially a fugurehead, but one with potentially real contributions.

#13 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Any marketing director worth his salt will tell you that he can't do his job really well unless this is the case.

Any marketing director worth his salt is probably an asshole.

#14 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,373 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

How can this be perceived as anything but a positive? 

#15 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

How can this be perceived as anything but a positive? 

What is there to suggest that Pedro Martinez would be a good special assistant to the GM?

#16 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,127 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

What is there to suggest that Pedro Martinez would be a good special assistant to the GM?

He makes those around him smile and gives great hugs.  Are there other requirements of the special assistant?

#17 pokey_reese

• SoSH Member

• 5,095 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

His change up was pretty great.  Maybe he can get that involved somehow.

#18 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

His job should be to go around the Dominican Republic telling all the kids there that the Red Sox are the best, and if they ever get offered a contract by the Red Sox, they should take it, so they can be just like the Great Pedro Martinez. Because if you sign with the Red Sox and do well, they take care of you for your whole life, just like the Great Pedro Martinez. Then hand out Red Sox-branded bats and gloves and hats and t-shirts.

#19 Skiponzo

• 903 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

He's a pretty intelligent guy and has made comments about wanting to be more involved. Pretty sure they can find a place he can help.

#20 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,118 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

1) He is really smart.  Based on everything I seen, Pedro is a very bright guy.

2) He obviously knows a lot a baseball.

3) As a Latino, we may bring in a diversity of thought not otherwise in the front office.

Obviously, his impact and effectiveness is controlled by the assignments he is given.  It seems to me, Cherington will dictate what he does.   I doubt he will be making trades or negotiating contracts off the bat, but he certainly can work with young pitchers and scout (and recruit in Latin America),  

#21 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,875 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Seriously? The guy knew how to pitch. How would him working with young pitchers be a bad thing?

#22 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,163 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Deciding if he'd be good--or bad--would require some sort of job description.  When you find one on redsox.com/careers, let us know.

I don't see a downside here, unless Varitek wastes time in meetings by taping him to a chair or something.  

#23 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,594 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

In my dream world the special assistant to the GM would handle all media relations.  No more Ben with his milquetoast, professional press conferences.  All Pedro all the time baby,  Hell, they could move his press conferences to Pay-Per-View and you'd have half this board paying for it.

#24 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Those are fair points, Skins. If he actually does something then that would be great. If this is just a PR move then it annoys me because it seems like this ownership group wants to lift up past accomplishments as a way of appeasing fans as opposed to focusing on the product on the field. I know you do both and one doesn't prohibit the other and this complaint is placed in a terrible thread for it. I'm cynical, I guess, at this point.

#25 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,118 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Those are fair points, Skins. If he actually does something then that would be great. If this is just a PR move then it annoys me because it seems like this ownership group wants to lift up past accomplishments as a way of appeasing fans as opposed to focusing on the product on the field. I know you do both and one doesn't prohibit the other and this complaint is placed in a terrible thread for it. I'm cynical, I guess, at this point.

If this is just a PR move, I could not agree with you more.  I guess I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that the will actually try to utilize Pedro and Varitek in the correct way. 

#26 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,756 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

1) He is really smart.  Based on everything I seen, Pedro is a very bright guy.

2) He obviously knows a lot a baseball.

3) As a Latino, we may bring in a diversity of thought not otherwise in the front office.

Obviously, his impact and effectiveness is controlled by the assignments he is given.  It seems to me, Cherington will dictate what he does.   I doubt he will be making trades or negotiating contracts off the bat, but he certainly can work with young pitchers and scout (and recruit in Latin America),  

I'll be honest, my out-of-the-ass impression has always been that A) Pedro is the type of elite talent who isn't great at teaching those who can't make their hand form an L, and B) isn't the lifer type who would be willing to take a FO job for short money just to stay involved.  From what we know at the moment, though, it doesn't seem like a ceremonial/ambassador type, so maybe I'm wrong on B and of course I hope I'm wrong on A.

#27 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,620 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

He will also be in charge of keeping Don Zimmer a safe distance from Fenway Park.

#28 singaporesoxfan

• 3,674 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

He will also be in charge of keeping Don Zimmer a safe distance from Fenway Park.

Good. I wouldn't trust Don Zimmer as far as I can throw him.

#29 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

If this was just a PR move I'd expect him to have been hired by NESN.

I assume he'll be working with young player about assimilating to the majors, undoubtedly focusing on the Spanish-speaking guys. I can't find any fault with that at all.

#30 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Being cynical is understandable in the wake of all that has happened since September, 2011.  And Tito just gave us a bunch of additional reasons to think that the Sox are focused on marketing at the expense of winning. 

For my part, though, I hope and assume this is for baseball AND marketing purposes.  I don't see the two as contrary in any way.

As has been stated, Pedro has been talking about doing something like this for a while, and it's easy to believe that someone of his intellect and skill level could impart something useful to other pitchers.  

And marketing and revenue creation is not, despite the CHB's repeated attempts to drum this into our heads, a bad thing.  If Pedro's presence helps generate revenue and that in turn helps pay for players, facilities or anything else that helps the Sox win, then why isn't that a good thing?  Sure, if the exclusive reason was revenue generation and they dressed it up as only relating to baseball operations, then I'd get the complaint.  But it's not binary and doesn't need to be viewed that way.

For me, the more Pedro, the better.

#31 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

If this was just a PR move I'd expect him to have been hired by NESN.

I assume he'll be working with young player about assimilating to the majors, undoubtedly focusing on the Spanish-speaking guys. I can't find any fault with that at all.

When Varitek was named SA-to-the-GM, Cherington had this to say:

"Jason was one of the most respected players of his era and will be a key voice as we move forward," general manager Ben Cherington said Thursday. "He will be involved in a number of areas including major league personnel decisions, evaluations, and mentorship and instruction of young players."

http://espn.go.com/b...assistant-to-gm

I'd assume Pedro will be involved in a similar capacity.

#32 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,585 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

OMG!  A professional sports franchise with a large, engaged fan-base cares about marketing!!!  I am simply staggered by this revelation.  

These guys shouldn't be worrying about perception or profit but instead about playing winning, tough, gritty, dirt-dog baseball just like in the old timey days!

Also, as a side note, isn't it ironic, do you not think, that two of the anti-marketing posts in this thread come from guys who live in the backwoods of the South?  I mean, Derique and Ras aren't likely to spend much money on the Red Sox this season whether they sign Pedro or an Occupy North Kakalaka activist to be Ben's special assistant.  

Edited by DeJesus Built My Hotrod, 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#33 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

OMG!  A professional sports franchise with a large, engaged fan-base cares about marketing!!!  I am simply staggered by this revelation.  

These guys shouldn't be worrying about perception or profit but instead about playing winning, tough, gritty, dirt-dog baseball just like in the old timey days!

Also, as a side note, isn't it ironic, do you not think, that two of the anti-marketing posts in this thread come from guys who live in the backwoods of the South?  I mean, Derique and Ras aren't likely to spend much money on the Red Sox this season whether they sign Pedro or an Occupy North Kakalaka activist to be Ben's special assistant.  

Man, I know that's how I came across and I'm sorry. That is ridiculous of me.

But I would say that living where I do just means I have to spend more each year on the Sox between EI and plane tickets.

Anyway, when I first saw this I rolled my eyes and thought it was some symbolic gesture and, in the scope of all the stuff Tito has been saying, I used it as a spring board to complain.

That was stupid of me.

#34 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,585 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Man, I know that's how I came across and I'm sorry. That is ridiculous of me.

But I would say that living where I do just means I have to spend more each year on the Sox between EI and plane tickets.

Anyway, when I first saw this I rolled my eyes and thought it was some symbolic gesture and, in the scope of all the stuff Tito has been saying, I used it as a spring board to complain.

That was stupid of me.

Stop.  It was fine to note that this move absolutely has some marketing component.  

And it clear that the Boston Red Sox front office definitely is aggressive - and successful - in marketing the franchise.  In some ways, they are making up for all the lost time and incompetence of the prior owners/stewards.  The reason they bid so aggressively for the Red Sox was because of all the latent revenue streams that were there for anyone with half of a brain to see.  Passionate fan-base, attractive tv market, a destination ballpark, states (plural) filled with people willing to spend time and money following the team. 

However, TGE nailed it.  If Pedro's only contribution is to steer a few of his young fellow countrymen toward the Red Sox, this is a damn fine hiring.  If he can contribute to player performance though his knowledge of pitching and the game in general, even better.  

In short, let the right arm of God help point the Red Sox back to the promised land!

Edited by DeJesus Built My Hotrod, 24 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#35 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I don't think there is a person in the world that hates the so called dirt-dog mentality more than me.

I'm not anti marketing, I'm anti-people who spend their whole goddamn lives marketing who are, so far as I can tell, entirely full of bullshit and where I live doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with that. If you want to fucking market something, first make something worth having, then let people know about it. If you want to convince people to buy some useless something so you can justify your existence, then fuck you.

And, as yet another thing, I have to spend more money down here just to watch the fucking games than I did when I lived up there, and I still get fucked up the ass by the goddamn marketing shitheads because of the goddamn blackouts.

In short, "fuck salespeople."

Edit--

But I don't see this as a marketing move at all. Pedro was better at what he did than anyone I have ever seen do anything. He is an intelligent, charismatic individual and, as has been mentioned, if he does nothing more than help recruit talent then he's more than worth the money (not that we know how much money it is) and I rather suspect he's going to be doing a hell of a lot more than that.

Edited by Rasputin, 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#36 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,076 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Give 'em hell Ras!

#37 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,577 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't think there is a person in the world that hates the so called dirt-dog mentality more than me.

I'm not anti marketing, I'm anti-people who spend their whole goddamn lives marketing who are, so far as I can tell, entirely full of bullshit and where I live doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with that. If you want to fucking market something, first make something worth having, then let people know about it. If you want to convince people to buy some useless something so you can justify your existence, then fuck you.

But this was Savin's whole point. Long-term success is built on creating value for consumers. Good marketing guys know that requires an organization-wide focus, rather than a marketing group that functions as an adjunct to the larger organization and is charged with convincing consumers to buy whatever the finance and operations folks want to sell.

LL is smart enough to know that marketing a 70-win team with the highest ticket prices in baseball is a non-starter. Marketing considerations aren't going to be what keeps the FO from putting the best possible team on the field. Marketing considerations might dictate that I have to watch the occasional puff piece on NESN in lieu of substantive coverage, but I can live with that.

Edited by maufman, 24 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#38 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

But this was Savin's whole point. Long-term success is built on creating value for consumers. Good marketing guys know that requires an organization-wide focus, rather than a marketing group that functions as an adjunct to the larger organization and is charged with convincing consumers to buy whatever the finance and operations folks want to sell.

LL is smart enough to know that marketing a 70-win team with the highest ticket prices in baseball is a non-starter. Marketing considerations aren't going to be what keeps the FO from putting the best possible team on the field. Marketing considerations might dictate that I have to watch the occasional puff piece on NESN in lieu of substantive coverage, but I can live with that.

Good marketing for a baseball team means the vast majority of the organization concentrates on making the team win as many games as possible and a relatively small group that arranges for recognizable figures in the organization to participate in other fun things for the fans.

Good marketing for a baseball team that controls its own television network involves more people creating more crap to put on the network.

Edit--why the fuck are we talking about marketing in a thread about Pedro? This is exhibit A as to why drive by posts like my original one suck rabid donkey balls.

Edited by Rasputin, 24 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#39 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 8,020 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

His change up was pretty great.  Maybe he can get that involved somehow.

I'd rather see him park one on Lucky's ear flap.

#40 bombdiggz

• 987 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

When Varitek was named SA-to-the-GM, Cherington had this to say:

"...He will be involved in a number of areas including major league personnel decisions, evaluations, and mentorship and instruction of young players."

I'd assume Pedro will be involved in a similar capacity.

Keep working with Rubby on the change up!

Any baseball organization anywhere could always use more Pedro. I'm psyched he is on board with the Sox.

#41 barbed wire Bob

• crippled by fear

• 3,288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Seriously? The guy knew how to pitch. How would him working with young pitchers be a bad thing?

We already know that he has a relationship with De La Rosa. This might be a way to have Pedro instruct Rubby and that won't be a bad thing at all.

#42 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,577 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Good marketing for a baseball team means the vast majority of the organization concentrates on making the team win as many games as possible and a relatively small group that arranges for recognizable figures in the organization to participate in other fun things for the fans.

Good marketing for a baseball team that controls its own television network involves more people creating more crap to put on the network.

Edit--why the fuck are we talking about marketing in a thread about Pedro? This is exhibit A as to why drive by posts like my original one suck rabid donkey balls.

But marketing is an organization-wide effort. Having the team's greatest living player serve as his "assistant" might be the small contribution Ben Cherington is expected to make to this effort -- you know, in addition to his responsibility for putting a winning team on the field, which we all agree is paramount.

#43 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

There have been comments, including those from Pedro, to suggest that he would like to get involved in team-related activities at some point.  I think the number retirement may be a pleasant byproduct of this arrangement.

I can envision him working with Nieves in Spring Training and engaging in other work to build his experience in working on various elements of the baseball operations.  All while providing a flexible schedule to help him determine his interest level, workload and potential path.

I love this.

With this and Tek, what's not to like? Equating this to a Dentist-level game show promotion is imprecise.

I'd say it's the next generation of Peskys that visit and are involved with the club during spring training, bridging the younger guys to the history and the way it was with the Sox when they were at their higher water marks. And it can't hurt to have Pedro teach you changeups. 

#44 dwainw

• 1,477 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'll be honest, my out-of-the-ass impression has always been that A) Pedro is the type of elite talent who isn't great at teaching those who can't make their hand form an L, and B) isn't the lifer type who would be willing to take a FO job for short money just to stay involved.  From what we know at the moment, though, it doesn't seem like a ceremonial/ambassador type, so maybe I'm wrong on B and of course I hope I'm wrong on A.

This thought occurred to me as well--the Ted Williams-as-manager being the glaring comparison.  However, I think it's as much about temperment as anything.  Pedro's elite and has a great baseball mind like Ted Williams, but doesn't possess all the surliness that would be detrimental to teaching.  Plus, if they do use him in an instructional capacity, it's not like he'll have to juggle a bunch of personalities. 

The fact that he presumably doesn't need the money or may not make a career out of this also helps.  Reduces the pressure he might feel to turn everyone into the next Pedro.

#45 Reardons Beard

• 1,049 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Any idea if he has managerial aspirations?

#46 curly2

• 2,727 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I can't picture Pedro as the type to take on a ceremonial role. He certainly shouldn't need the money, and his competitive nature would seem to make him unlikely to be a guy content with a role to put in appearances and shake hands.

There are a lot of ways he can help:

Obviously, some great players don't have the patience or makeup to teach others, but we shouldn't assume Pedro is like that. He may not improve everyone's changeup, but he can at least impress upon them the need to work inside.

When personnel decisions are made, particularly in the case of "does this NL pitcher have the stuff to pitch int he AL East?" I'd welcome Pedro's voice in the conversation.

Plus, the Red Sox have had very poor results in signing Dominican players in the last decade. In the system at the moment, the Dominican prospects (Jose Vinicio, Keury De La Cruz, Manuel Margot) are at A-ball or below. Again, I'd welcome Pedro's input on signing decisions. In addition, since teams are capped on international spending now, the Sox can't just throw dollars at players. If the Sox, Tigers and Braves are all after a talented prospect from the Dominican Republic, and all can offer about the same money, I want Pedro in the house with the family trying to get the kid to sign with Boston.

#47 NHbeau

• hates latinos/bay staters

• 579 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Putting aside all the marketing questions, Pedro never struck me as the "dancing monkey" type who want's some ambassadorship. I'll go out on a limb and say the guy misses the sport and thinks he has some worth to the team. I'm betting Tek is the same type of guy, who has the baseball lifer mentality in spades. I don't really see a downside to having quite possibly the greatest pitcher of all time in the front office in some capacity. 

#48 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5,259 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Find it amazing that any Sox fan can find fault with this. According to Ben Cherington here are Pedro's duties; "Pedro will be involved in several areas, including the evaluation, mentorship, and instruction of young players in spring training and throughout the season. To me this is a great addition and I think Pedro can make a positive contribution in all of these areas. I certainly glad he is in this role for the Red Sox than another team.

#49 BroodsSexton

• 4,811 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I watch baseball to be entertained. Pedro is entertaining. There is a higher likelihood of my being entertained by Pedro if he is hired by the Red Sox than not. I like this move.

#50 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,542 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

And, as yet another thing, I have to spend more money down here just to watch the fucking games than I did when I lived up there, and I still get fucked up the ass by the goddamn marketing shitheads because of the goddamn blackouts.

In short, "fuck salespeople."

Edit--

But I don't see this as a marketing move at all. Pedro was better at what he did than anyone I have ever seen do anything. He is an intelligent, charismatic individual and, as has been mentioned, if he does nothing more than help recruit talent then he's more than worth the money (not that we know how much money it is) and I rather suspect he's going to be doing a hell of a lot more than that.

Man, how many deep conversations have you had with marketing people? Like really delving deep into their industry, finding out what makes them tick.

Marketing people know more acutely than anybody else when a product is worth shit because they're the only ones thinking about how the outside world is going to perceive the product. The rest are often engaging themselves in a circle jerk about how awesome the product is and not venturing any other opinion, whether through groupthink, fear of dissent or just plain ol' delusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users