Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Upton brothers take their talent to Atlanta (Justin traded to the Braves)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MakMan44

• stole corsi's dream

• 13,680 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

https://mobile.twitt...458515190325249
Per Heyman deal is done pending physicals.
Deal would include the Braves pitching prospect Delgado.
https://mobile.twitt...456587676942337

The NL east is going to be a lot of fun this season.

Edited by MakMan44, 24 January 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#2 gtg807y

• 2,544 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

RosenthalTold Delgado not biggest piece going from Braves to Diamondbacks for Upton. Also told Teheran not in deal.

Have to wonder who the "biggest piece" in the deal is. Dave O'Brien in the AJC this morning said that the D-backs were asking for pitching prospect JR Graham and that he might be a sticking point in the deal, and that he didn't think the Braves would move him. Also not sure if he'd be considered "bigger" than Delgado. This is coming together pretty fast, I'm sure we'll know soon. Probably before I hit "post."

#3 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,026 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Source: Braves get Justin Upton and Chris Johnson from D-backs for Prado, Delgado, Ahmed and Spruill.

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/294461984852819969
link to tweet

#4 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Man, find an outfield as exciting as the Braves.

#5 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Pawtucket.

#prospecthumper
#idothistoo
#alot

#6 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/294461984852819969
link to tweet

First Bauer now they couldn't even get Teheran in this deal? You have to wonder if the Padres are still paying Kevin Towers

#7 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,931 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Isn't there an argument that Delgado is more valuable than Teheran? Or is that just because I have Delgado on my fantasy team? Delgado has certainly been more consistent, even if he doesn't have quite as high a ceiling.

#8 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Isn't there an argument that Delgado is more valuable than Teheran? Or is that just because I have Delgado on my fantasy team? Delgado has certainly been more consistent, even if he doesn't have quite as high a ceiling.

Teheran has a higher ceiling and is younger. That's why I'm shocked they couldn't even get him. But hey, Towers also said that Gregorious reminded him of Jeter so who the hell knows

#9 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,179 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thank you Joe Morgan.

Seriously though, Delgado is a very nice piece.  I think both teams could argue they got the better portion of the deal.

#10 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thank you Joe Morgan.

Seriously though, Delgado is a very nice piece.  I think both teams could argue they got the better portion of the deal.

Except the team that didn't get Justin Upton.

His ceiling is limitless.  He has an infinite ceiling.  There is no ceiling.  Ceilingless.  He's like a house, but missing the ceiling.

I know what your saying, they got some good pieces, and they are a team that needs more good pieces than one great one, I get that.  But man it has to be a kick in the balls to trade a talent like him.

#11 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,813 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Justin Upton has been an every other year player for the Dbacks the last 4 years. He's going to have to show that odd years are his true talent level. If it's somewhere in between his good and bad years I like the deal for the Dbacks. Prado has been almost as good the last three years.

#12 Minneapolis Millers

• 574 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Seems like an odd haul to me for AZ.  They got quantity, but did they get enough quality?  They only control Prado for this year.  The secondary prospects aren't that exciting.  Much of the success of this deal will hinge on Delgado approaching his ceiling.

#13 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Seems like an odd haul to me for AZ.  They got quantity, but did they get enough quality?  They only control Prado for this year.  The secondary prospects aren't that exciting.  Much of the success of this deal will hinge on Delgado approaching his ceiling.

I agree with you--it's a terrible deal for the Diamondbacks--but there's some additional value in controlling Prado going into his walk year--some kind of R.A. Dickey below-market-value extension might be in the cards here.

Edited by The Best Catch in 100 Years, 24 January 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#14 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,852 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Towers has telegraphed his intention to trade Upton for so long it has to have downgraded what most teams (that don't play in Seattle) were willing to offer. Pretty much everyone must have assumed that Towers valued Upton less than most everyone else seems to.

And apparently Towers needed to wrap the deal up so he could head out on his African vacation, which is just a great way to conduct negotiations.

#15 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,813 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think a lot depends on what happens with Prado. If they let him go and just offer him a qualifying offer, then it's a big mistake by Arizona. They need to either extend him or flip him for prospects with more upside. If they think they can contend this year and the next few they should extend him. If they don't they should move him. Depth at 3B seems down across baseball. If Prado goes on the market I'd expect they can get a good return.

Edited by gammoseditor, 24 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#16 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Towers has telegraphed his intention to trade Upton for so long it has to have downgraded what most teams (that don't play in Seattle) were willing to offer. Pretty much everyone must have assumed that Towers valued Upton less than most everyone else seems to.

And apparently Towers needed to wrap the deal up so he could head out on his African vacation, which is just a great way to conduct negotiations.

Clearly you've never been to Africa.

#17 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

If this were the first reported deal for Upton it might look better, but after the reported Seattle deal where AZ was getting 2 or 3 top 50 arms and Franklin, this deal looks like they settled. There is some value there, but it's more of a trade for role-players.

#18 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4,173 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

The trade was worth it for everyone because of this:

BBZsN3VCEAA3u10.jpg

#19 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,225 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Man, find an outfield as exciting as the Braves.

Gomes-Kalish-Victorino  ...  oh, you meant exciting in a good way

#20 MakMan44

• stole corsi's dream

• 13,680 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

That picture is fantastic

#21 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

When was the last time a team had an all-African American starting outfield? (not counting starting a game with backups)

Edited by CaptainLaddie, 24 January 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#22 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

When was the last time a team had an all-African American starting outfield? (not counting starting a game with backups)

This is a stretch, but off the top of my head the '06 Devil Rays had Crawford, Hollins, and Joey Gathright/Delmon Young. Baldelli was the more true starter, but only played in 92 games compared to Gathright/Young at a combined 85 games.

#23 alwyn96

• 802 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'm not sure who the starters are exactly, but the Phillies also have Ben Revere, John Mayberry, Dom Brown and Delmon Young this year. That's like the top 4 starting OFs.

Edited by alwyn96, 24 January 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#24 Morning Woodhead

• 761 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

This is so outstanding.

#25 Orel Miraculous

• 1,514 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

B.J., David Wright, and Ryan Zimmerman all played on the same AAU team as kids, with Justin serving as the bat boy.  Now they're all in the same division, playing each other 19 times a season.

#26 Kull

• wannabe merloni

• 1,153 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Braves' Marketing Slogan for 2013: "All your Upton are Belong to Us"

#27 Minneapolis Millers

• 574 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Not sure about the last time, but the Twins had the "Soul Patrol" of Hunter, Lawton and Jones in the early 2000s and later with Shannon Stewart replacing Lawton.

#28 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

BBZsN3VCEAA3u10.jpg

This is why the internet was created.

#29 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,412 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Not sure about the last time, but the Twins had the "Soul Patrol" of Hunter, Lawton and Jones in the early 2000s and later with Shannon Stewart replacing Lawton.

2007 Rays Crawford, Upton, and Delmon Young?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users