Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Board Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

We had to update it because spammers were bypassing capcha, etc and it was becoming a real pain

With that said, we upgraded up two versions, here are the new features.  Nothing earth-shattering

http://community.inv...s-155-released/

http://community.inv...t-230-released/

#2 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

This is potentially a very cool feature

Introducing the archive system
Brand new
to IP.Board 3.3 is the archive system. This is a very easy to use
system of archiving off old posts. You get complete control over what is
archived too but more on that a little later. The archived posts are
moved to a different table but it doesn't have to be in your current
database or indeed your current server (though of course it can be too)!
You can set up a new server just for older posts and move them all
there thus freeing up your forum post table again. This means less
overhead for MySQL to manage when people are browsing your community.

Searches are faster, look-ups are faster and everything zips along.

Archived
topics still show in the forum view as normal. You can still view them
as normal. They still get all the skinning as normal so everything works
just like a regular topic. Their URLs do not change so SEO is not
impacted.

However, as they are archived, you cannot reply or
follow the topic, so all that is removed from the display which actually
saves your server a lot of work! It doesn't have to load up the editor
javascript or load up any follow data from the database. In testing, it
actually saves 30% database access showing an archived topic. The topic
title isn't changed and the URL isn't changed so there's no need for
complex 301 code redirects for search engines.

If you change your mind or archive a topic without meaning to, you can unarchive a topic.

#3 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Can anyone who does not currently have a subscription (and presumably doesn't mind paying for one) try to purchase a subscription.  When it asks for payment method check off "Credit Card (Stripe)".

It's secure but I just need to make sure that it works (it does on my test account but the more we can test it in a controlled environment the better)

#4 soxfan80000001

• 1267 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

When I go to http://sonsofsamhorn...p=subscriptions

I get:

Oops! Something went wrong!
[#30X117]

Could not locate invoice.

Need Help?

#5 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Try this one

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/store/

#6 Detts

• 827 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Try this one

It just worked for me.

#7 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Why are there two FORUM buttons at the top of the page? They don't seem to be different...

#8 LESDL

• armed against all shadows

• 1592 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I may be having trouble with the quoting function. If I try to delete part of the quoted text, it looks like the whole of the remaining text ceases to be a quote also- at least it removes the indent. Is that the case? I don't want to clutter things up with screwed up attempts to post and see if it works.

#9 soxfan80000001

• 1267 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Sent you a PM on this

#10 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I may be having trouble with the quoting function. If I try to delete part of the quoted text, it looks like the whole of the remaining text ceases to be a quote also- at least it removes the indent. Is that the case? .

It works ok for me.

#11 ajml

• 363 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I kind of like the black text instead of blue on the mobile site now.

#12 LESDL

• 1592 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

It works ok for me.

I think it may have been one particular post from Jose. It's his fault.

#13 shepard50

• 4397 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Try this one

Worked for me today - take that Paypal. It's great to be able to use a credit card.

#14 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 18782 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Tapatalk seems completely fubar. It only loads the first page of a thread, but it tells you it's the last page.  The rest of the thread can't be accessed.

#15 LESDL

• 1592 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

The quote function is still definitely acting strange.

#16 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3514 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Tapatalk seems completely fubar. It only loads the first page of a thread, but it tells you it's the last page.  The rest of the thread can't be accessed.

I can confirm this, and it is affecting both the regular and HD versions on Android.

#17 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11284 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

When I go to http://sonsofsamhorn...p=subscriptions

I get:

Oops! Something went wrong!
[#30X117]

Could not locate invoice.

Need Help?

I always got this too. Thought it was just me. I would have bought in before now. You should really fix that.

#18 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

1. I'll be looking into some fixes today.  I"m busy at work so they might not all get done right away but except the little broken things to get unbroken.

2. Lurkers and people already with subs can't buy subs, I've gotten a number of PMs on this issue :) 

#19 Curtis Pride

• 797 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I can confirm this too.  It loads the first page as every page in the thread. So going to page 15 of a 20=page thread shows page 1 instead.

#20 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Another huge upgrade which I overlooked, and will probably be exciting to the Blacken types, is that Invision now natively supports integration with some of the major content delivery networks (and their own).  Some super exciting changes which we can implement to help alleviate the ever-existing problem of what we do when 50,000 people hit this site at once.

#21 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37938 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Nothing I've noticed so far is all that major, but I'm seeing a couple of glitches. FWIW I'm using Chrome Version 24.0.1312.52 m and Firefox 18.0.1

* As noted above, quote tags aren't working, at least not consistently. In Firefox, clicking the quote bubble provides a neat indented quote box in the composition window. But doing so in Chrome only indents the selected content (or the cursor) and positions it under the word "Quote" but without any actual quote box showing up while composing the post. In both cases, the quote boxes display property when previewing and after posting, so it doesn't really affect functionality. But it's bound to be confusing for some Chrome users. 

* The links to individual posts (in the upper-right corner of each post's box) seem to work fine, but in Chrome they're now accompanied by a broken image link, which I assume is an icon or button. No such issue in Firefox.

15rnng1.jpg

#22 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Let me work on a few image things.  The new upgrade moved around some of the image directories and created new ones.   Some inherited their parent's permissions which was what was causing the problem on a few of the ones that I was able to fix this morning.

On the other hand, if it's pissing off mark then I would consider it a feature, not a bug :fap:

#23 Dim13

• 1183 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Running into something on the mobile version - wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. I'm using an iPhone and not using Tapatalk (which may be my problem.) But if I pull up a thread page that has an embedded youtube clip somewhere on the page, the thread appears for an instant and then youtube (the site) launches over it and plays the video from the thread automatically. I can't see the video is not embedded in the post, I don't click to watch anything in the thread, but youtube launches, replaces the board, and plays the video. Not sure if I am describing this in a way that makes sense.

Just noticed it since the upgrade. Will using Tapatalk fix this? Thanks for any help and thanks, Nip, for the upgrades!

#24 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I feel so strongly about people should be using tapatalk that i'm considering paying the $40/month for our own app.  Right now we have just 52 tapatalk users so we need a few more peple using it before it can be rationalized. 

#25 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3514 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Not that I have a vote, but I'd vote for staying in "stock" Tapatalk.  It seems to get the updates much quicker than the board-specific apps, and I've already paid for the regular version and the HD version.

#26 Jordu

• 2029 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I feel so strongly about people should be using tapatalk that i'm considering paying the $40/month for our own app. Right now we have just 52 tapatalk users so we need a few more peple using it before it can be rationalized.

FWIW, the board is faster in Tapatalk since the upgrade.

#27 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

So awesome

#28 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 7782 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Upgrade has caused the forum to not display embedded YouTube videos (they work for posts prior to the upgrade but none sense). I'm on Safari on iPad.

This was happening after the last major upgrade too and it fucking sucks.

#29 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

so use tapatalk

#30 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7287 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Is it just me or did the source of quoted posts go away with this update in Tapatalk?

#31 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 7782 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

so use tapatalk

I have shitty vision so need to zoom in to read; can't do it with Taptalk. :/

#32 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I'll be slowly adding stuff to the archives over the coming months.  Invision has a new feature whereby messages which are "closed" get shuttled off to a different database, which reduces overhead on the server by about 30%. 

Generally anything over two years gets moved, or should be.  Some exceptions of course.

#33 ScubaSteveAvery

• the goats! think of the goats!

• 6869 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Archiving just Maalox's posts should make this site run 80 times faster.

Edited by ScubaSteveAvery, 28 January 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#34 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3514 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm seeing a symptom in tapatalk (latest on Android) where embedded youtube videos aren't showing up as videos or even as links.  Could be related to the mobile skin problem referenced above?

#35 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 8753 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I have issues sometimes when editing a post now that I never noticed before.  I hit the button to edit and it opens up the post, but I have no cursor or anything.

#36 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 18782 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I'm seeing a symptom in tapatalk (latest on Android) where embedded youtube videos aren't showing up as videos or even as links.  Could be related to the mobile skin problem referenced above?

Same here.

#37 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22701 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

It would be nice on Mobile to have an easy way to jump to the end page of a thread.

#38 FungosWithJimy

• 1861 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Is there an easy answer to Laddie's concern above?

#39 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14652 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Is there an easy answer to Laddie's concern above?

I'll take a look, but a new board version just came out--any idea if we're going to get upgraded to 3.4.4 soon Nip? If so, I'll wait until after that to look.

#40 Curtis Pride

• 797 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

On iPhone tapatalk, the ellipsis (three dots) leads to the Jump screen, where you enter the last page number.

#41 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33839 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'll take a look, but a new board version just came out--any idea if we're going to get upgraded to 3.4.4 soon Nip? If so, I'll wait until after that to look.

We should upgrade soon, but with all the server stuff going on recently I was gonna take it easy for a few weeks.  I think with mobile we stick with it as-is as the Droid app is out and the iPhone one is just awaiting the idiots in Apple Central to approve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users