Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

SB XLVII: Ravens vs 49ers Predictions & Discussions

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: SB XLVII: Ravens vs 49ers Predictions & Discussions (171 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you watch the game?

1. Yup - hopefully the pain has subsided enough by then (136 votes [79.53%])

Percentage of vote: 79.53%

2. Nope - next time I turn on Pats is the Draft Day (35 votes [20.47%])

Percentage of vote: 20.47%

Who will win the game?

1. 49ers by a landslide (65 votes [38.01%])

Percentage of vote: 38.01%

2. 49ers in a squeaker (86 votes [50.29%])

Percentage of vote: 50.29%

3. Ravens in a squeaker (17 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

4. Ravens in a landslide (3 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

Who are you rooting for the game?

1. 49ers - is there even a question? (136 votes [79.53%])

Percentage of vote: 79.53%

2. Ravens - I like rooting for murderers and headhunters (6 votes [3.51%])

Percentage of vote: 3.51%

3. Who cares - just make it a good game (29 votes [16.96%])

Percentage of vote: 16.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11294 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

First lines have Niners by 5.

As much as Ravens are riding the hot wave, there are a string of mismatches across the board against SF. I don't think this will be close.

Unlike the Pats, I think the monster Niners DL finally expose the patched up Ravens OL, and Kaepernick will make Lewis' & (maybe) Reed's final game a sad one.

There have been a run of close SB matches, but I call 34-20 Kaepernicks.

Edited by SeoulSoxFan, 21 January 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#2 Turrable

• 2200 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I'm conflicted. I like my brother and he was very respectful tonight. I want him to be happy. But I fucking hate the assholes he roots for and I want to watch each of them cry on television in front of the whole world. This is going to be tough.

#3 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

In not even being a pour sport, I just don't care about this Super Bowl and won't be convinced by ESPN over the next two weeks.

#4 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22763 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Line on Betus is SF -4. I'm really tempted to put everything I have on that site into SF.

#5 jackleary

• 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

SF Defense is not what it used to be and their secondary can be exploited. I think they should win but I think 3 tough WR's and Rice will be too much. I think the Ravens will knock their qb around and give him the best challenge he's had all year other than the last Seattle loss.

31-27 Ravens

#6 ilol@u

• 1774 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

I am a NFL fan first, Patriot fan second (can't say the same for the other 3 sports), so I will be watching the Superbowl.

Go get it Randy - get your ring that you deserve and you can retire in peace knowing that you are finally a champion. TEAM RAND U

San Fran 20 Baltimore 14

#7 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

Why is everyone so convinced about SF?

Wasn't the AFC the superior conference?

#8 Turrable

• 2200 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

...no...

#9 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

...no...

I disagree and think Baltimore is the better team, even though I'll be rooting for SF.

Edited by knucklecup, 21 January 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#10 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21582 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

There were many horrible or mediocre teams in the AFC.

#11 Darnell's Son

• 4356 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I'm conflicted. I like my brother and he was very respectful tonight. I want him to be happy. But I fucking hate the assholes he roots for and I want to watch each of them cry on television in front of the whole world. This is going to be tough.

I don't like your brother. San Fran by 4.

#12 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

There were many horrible or mediocre teams in the AFC.

And who wasn't either horrible or mediocre in the NFC? SF, GB, and ATL?

#13 JohnnyK

• 996 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

First SB I watched was January 26, 1997. I've seen every single one since, but I have a strong tendency to avoid staying up til 5am to watch a game I really don't give a fuck about.

I don't want either of these teams to win. Sure, getting Moss a ring would be nice, but that also means getting Kaepernick one. OTOH, Ray Lewis winning another one would be bad too, but at least he is getting ballwashed so hard already that it wouldn't make much difference.

Blergh.

#14 bosox188

• 1115 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

In not even being a pour sport, I just don't care about this Super Bowl and won't be convinced by ESPN over the next two weeks.

Pretty much sums up my feeling at this point:

Posted Image

#15 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10123 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Niners will roll. Kap, James and Gore will run all over the Ravens and Vernon Davis will have a field day. 38-14 49ers

#16 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Sf 24-16

#17 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8260 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Wait is this real?

#18 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42276 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

If the Pats didn't win this year, my hope was for Rand U to finally get his ring. Sucks that Kap seems like a douche and one of their players is a rapist, but you take the bad with the good.

Go Niners.

#19 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12399 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Given the situation with Talib, the Ravens likely match up better than the Pats would, which is not to say they match up well.

On offense, given our obvious inability to stretch the field, we would have struggled. The second half of the regular season game has to be viewed with the 49ers having an enormous cushion.

On defense, containing Kap, and Davis, and Gore, and the receivers -- good luck.

The Ravens, at least, will have deep threats on offense, though obviously ones not as accomplished as the Falcons'. And the Ravens' defense, if it continues its excellence in the red zone, offers some home of keeping the game competitive, at least for a while.

#20 DanoooME

• SoSH Member

• 6459 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

7 of the top 10 in DVOA during the regular season were from the NFC (Sea, SF, GB, Chi, NYG, Wash, Atl)

#21 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 2066 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

My only prediction is that Bernard Pollard will play like an average, journey man safety and not seriously injure any of the 49ers.

#22 Toe Nash

• 3078 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

After being supremely confident in the Patriots' chances against BAL I will refrain from predictions since I have no idea what I'm talking about.

But, this is a different Ravens team than the one I watched in the regular season. The offensive line changes are huge. Will be interesting to see how they perform against a team with a real pass rush, though. That's the key to the game for me.

#23 MarcSullivaFan

• 1954 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

After being supremely confident in the Patriots' chances against BAL I will refrain from predictions since I have no idea what I'm talking about.

But, this is a different Ravens team than the one I watched in the regular season. The offensive line changes are huge. Will be interesting to see how they perform against a team with a real pass rush, though. That's the key to the game for me.

I'm not sure that the SF pass rush is all that terrifying right now. It's been pretty anemic since Justin Smith got hurt against the Pats. I see this as a high scoring game. These teams are both stronger on offense than defense, yesterday's abomination notwithstanding.

#24 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21279 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Pretty much sums up my feeling at this point:

Posted Image

Is that Dr. Seuss? I need to pick up a book or two for my grandkids. :unsure:

Now that my 100% Like Pats are out, I will turn to my 20% Like 49ers, and maybe enjoy a SB party with little to no worry about the outcome. Picking the 49ers just because of what I see as their all around 3 phases superiority. Very close game though. I think Jim is the better coach, FWIW. Yeah, nobody cares (almost) around here.

#25 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11294 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Per excellent http://www.footballperspective.com/:

With Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick facing off, that ends five-year streak where at least one of the two quarterbacks in the Super Bowl had previously won (or been in) a Super Bowl:

#26 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10248 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

I know the media will absolutely beat it to death but the brother vs brother angle here is fascinating. Aside from the Williams sisters playing one another, this is about as pure a sibling contest as you can get. Its safe to say that the Harbaughs have the most unique insight into the mind of the other team's coach in the history of the Superbowl.

I mean, these guys are close enough to know each others strengths, weaknesses and idiosyncrasies better than anyone else around, including spouses, assistants and perhaps even their own parents. Hell, I can only imagine how these guys might try to screw with each other's heads during the game. This isn't like their regular season match-up last year - this is for bragging rights for, perhaps every thanksgiving, holiday or family reunion to come.

#27 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Wait is this real?

Ha. Did I write that? 'twas late.

#28 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

7 of the top 10 in DVOA during the regular season were from the NFC (Sea, SF, GB, Chi, NYG, Wash, Atl)

Sorry, DVOA?

#29 sleepyjose03

• 2416 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'll be rooting for the 49ers, no question. In addition to hoping Moss gets his ring, I am really really really fucking tired of hearing about Ray Lewis, and I hope he breaks down and cries Adam Morrison style as Davis and Gore abuse him so badly that not even ESPN can claim he played well.

As much as I want Randy to get his, and as much as I don't want Lewis to get another ring, I really don't care that much. I am looking forward to a Superbowl where I can focus on enjoying good food & drink with my good friends without screaming at the TV or feeling like a nervous wreck the whole game.

#30 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12399 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

I know the media will absolutely beat it to death but the brother vs brother angle here is fascinating. Aside from the Williams sisters playing one another, this is about as pure a sibling contest as you can get. Its safe to say that the Harbaughs have the most unique insight into the mind of the other team's coach in the history of the Superbowl.

I mean, these guys are close enough to know each others strengths, weaknesses and idiosyncrasies better than anyone else around, including spouses, assistants and perhaps even their own parents. Hell, I can only imagine how these guys might try to screw with each other's heads during the game. This isn't like their regular season match-up last year - this is for bragging rights for, perhaps every thanksgiving, holiday or family reunion to come.

Absolutely.

The media will focus on the superficial stuff -- sibling rivalry, hyper-competitive family -- you've hit on the really interesting stuff, the guessing game and chess match.

#31 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16459 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I would love to see Ray Lewis lose. That would be nice. But I would also like to see Jim Harbaugh lose. His meltdown on Sunday when he found out he didn't get tickets to One Direction, errrrr because the replay didn't go the way he wanted it to go, was unbelievable. It was pathetic and immature. So to see him lose to his brother with hundreds of millions watching would be sweet.

Still, despite my Harbaugh hate, I can't root for the Ravens in any way. I have never liked them and I never will like them. It doesn't help that my wife is from Cleveland and, of course, her family despises the Ravens with the strength of 10,000 suns.

#32 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6779 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

OL changes are huge - turns BAL from being average or below average at 3 spots and makes them above average and possibly better.

Ravens faced Freeny and Mathis and then Miller and Dumervil and gave up, what, one sack in 9 quarters? Flacco has been very clean these playoffs, and when he is clean, he is as good as anybody.

OTOH, will be interesting to see if Pees can come up with wrinkles to stop the read-option.

I think this will be a tight game in a shootout but I think Ravens have more ways to win than SF.

#33 Trlicek's Whip

• 2975 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I know the media will absolutely beat it to death but the brother vs brother angle here is fascinating.

Not so fascinating that the one-dimensional talking point of brother vs. brother and "civil war" for the next two weeks will be unprecedented in SB hype, and will exceed all boundaries of ballwashing ever seen by human eyes.

Between that storyline and Saint Ray Lewis' retirement, I can't watch this Super Bowl knowing that they'll overkill with seven cameras - each - devoted to 100% reaction shots of him and the Harbaugh Brothers the entire game.

#34 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25522 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Not so fascinating that the one-dimensional talking point of brother vs. brother and "civil war" for the next two weeks will be unprecedented in SB hype, and will exceed all boundaries of ballwashing ever seen by human eyes.

Between that storyline and Saint Ray Lewis' retirement, I can't watch this Super Bowl knowing that they'll overkill with seven cameras - each - devoted to 100% reaction shots of him and the Harbaugh Brothers the entire game.

That's why I'm not bothering to watch the SB this year. Eff that noise.

#35 dbn

• 3231 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I voted "Yup - hopefully the pain has subsided enough by then" but the pain will not have subsided. I'm still hurting from XLII and XLVI. Shit, the pain has yet to fully subside from XXXI and XX.

Edited by dbn, 22 January 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#36 Papo The Snow Tiger

• 388 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I voted 'nope". If I watched the game I'd only end up rooting for debilitating injuries to Pollard and the both Rays. And both Flacco and the kicker. Fuck them too. Rooting for injuries would make me a bad person. I don't want to be a bad person, so the next time I tune in for anything football related will be Draft Day.

#37 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11474 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I might not watch just to skip the Helmet Catch clips.

I think we'll see that catch every fucking miserable bowl until we die. Fuck that fucking game in the fuck.

#38 MarcSullivaFan

• 1954 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I won't watch the coverage leading up to the game, but I will definitely watch the game. I have no real enmity towards the 49ers and I will enjoy watching them send Suggs and Lewis packing.

#39 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7591 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'll watch, root for the 49ers, hope to have a good time but more importantly, hope that one of the boxes I buy,wins.

Prediction 49ers 27-21

Edited by bankshot1, 23 January 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#40 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21279 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I would love to see Ray Lewis lose. That would be nice. But I would also like to see Jim Harbaugh lose. His meltdown on Sunday when he found out he didn't get tickets to One Direction, errrrr because the replay didn't go the way he wanted it to go, was unbelievable. It was pathetic and immature. So to see him lose to his brother with hundreds of millions watching would be sweet.

Still, despite my Harbaugh hate, I can't root for the Ravens in any way. I have never liked them and I never will like them. It doesn't help that my wife is from Cleveland and, of course, her family despises the Ravens with the strength of 10,000 suns.

Yeah, our coach never melts down.

Edited by Al Zarilla, 23 January 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#41 Otis Foster

• rex ryan's podiatrist

• 1095 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I thought the 49ers defense looked better on paper than its played on the field in the games I watched. Ryan raised havoc with them, and of course so did the NEP in the comeback. The Ravens have a lot of attitude and swagger, and unless you can pressure Flacco consistently, he'll carve you up. Kapernick will keep it close, but I think he'll be somewhat contained.  

I'd be much happier with a 49ers win, but I see trouble for them dealing with the Ravens, and we all know what happens when a seemingly lesser team gets on a roll in the playoffs. I will watch. But I'll skip or mute all the phony horseshit the NFL surrounds the game with. Just play football, and if the pink hats and corporate types want entertainment, then go hang out at a Bourbon Street club.

Bring back YA Tittle, Ernie Stautner and Chuck Bednarik! 

#42 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21279 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I thought the 49ers defense looked better on paper than its played on the field in the games I watched. Ryan raised havoc with them, and of course so did the NEP in the comeback. The Ravens have a lot of attitude and swagger, and unless you can pressure Flacco consistently, he'll carve you up. Kapernick will keep it close, but I think he'll be somewhat contained.  

I'd be much happier with a 49ers win, but I see trouble for them dealing with the Ravens, and we all know what happens when a seemingly lesser team gets on a roll in the playoffs. I will watch. But I'll skip or mute all the phony horseshit the NFL surrounds the game with. Just play football, and if the pink hats and corporate types want entertainment, then go hang out at a Bourbon Street club.

Bring back YA Tittle, Ernie Stautner and Chuck Bednarik! 

Sticking to just 49ers: Hugh McElhenny, Joe Perry, Leo Nomellini and the raw meat eater, Bob St. Clair. 

#43 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21279 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Deserves another view. Some called Kap a douche in the game thread, but Tarell Brown doesn't argue with him.

original.gif

And, hey, there's a pubic hair in this cup, and puts it right back on the table.

original.gif

Edited by Al Zarilla, 23 January 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#44 Otis Foster

• rex ryan's podiatrist

• 1095 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

[Duplicate post]

Edited by Otis Foster, 23 January 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#45 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 2066 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

So Ray Lewis is the MVP of the Super Bowl if the Ravens win right?  I know that it really doesn't really matter who wins the award, but it's going to be funny if Flacco has a great night but they trump up some inflated number of tackles for Ray to justify giving him the award.  Do they have the stones to give it to Ray Lewis anyway if the Ravens lose?

#46 Bosoxen

• Bounced back

• 5804 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Is that Dr. Seuss? I need to pick up a book or two for my grandkids. :unsure:

Now that my 100% Like Pats are out, I will turn to my 20% Like 49ers, and maybe enjoy a SB party with little to no worry about the outcome. Picking the 49ers just because of what I see as their all around 3 phases superiority. Very close game though. I think Jim is the better coach, FWIW. Yeah, nobody cares (almost) around here.

I'll be rooting for the 49ers, no question. In addition to hoping Moss gets his ring, I am really really really fucking tired of hearing about Ray Lewis, and I hope he breaks down and cries Adam Morrison style as Davis and Gore abuse him so badly that not even ESPN can claim he played well.

As much as I want Randy to get his, and as much as I don't want Lewis to get another ring, I really don't care that much. I am looking forward to a Superbowl where I can focus on enjoying good food & drink with my good friends without screaming at the TV or feeling like a nervous wreck the whole game.

Oh, you poor, poor babies.  It must be so hard to have your team in the Super Bowl.  Maybe I should be thanking Jerry Jones for not ruining every Super Bowl Sunday for me instead of cursing him with every breath.  What an awful thing it must be to be a Patriots fan.

Snark aside, I will reluctantly be rooting for the 49ers.  But only because Ray Lewis is an awful human being.

#47 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5550 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

So Ray Lewis is the MVP of the Super Bowl if the Ravens win right?  I know that it really doesn't really matter who wins the award, but it's going to be funny if Flacco has a great night but they trump up some inflated number of tackles for Ray to justify giving him the award.  Do they have the stones to give it to Ray Lewis anyway if the Ravens lose?

He was the MVP last time they won it, but Disney had Trent Dilfer in their "I'm going to Disneyworld" ad.

#48 54thMA

• 1653 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

What a nutpunch it's going to be when the Ravens win the Super Bowl and open the 2013 season at home vs the Patriots, Ray Ray will come dancing onto the field in street clothes on last time to fire up the loons in Baltimore and blow out his hamstring in the process.

Please don't allow this to happen 49er's; that said, the Ravens are on a roll and as long as they keep Vanilla Ice upright, looks like they'll win the game to me. Somehow the Ravens will find a way to contain/limit Kaepernick, if as was said earlier this week they did things on defense to confuse Brady, can only imagine what they come up with for Kaepernick.

Pretty amazing in todays NFL that in order to get to the Super Bowl, recent history shows examples of teams that limped through the season, got to the playoffs, make some late season/post season adjustments (fire your offensive coordinator and move some offensive linemen around), get a couple of favorable match ups (Colts/Denver) and go into the championship game with a full head of steam and bingo, you're off to the Super Bowl. The Patriots being without Gronkowski and losing Talib put the cherry on top for the Ravens; once Caldwell woke up from his nap and found out Talib was out of the game, they scored three touchdowns in the second half and won the game.

Throw in Ray Ray announcing his retirement and you've got the perfect storm; the way they were taking on water down the stretch (including that curb stopping at home vs Denver), who honestly thought this team was going to make the Super Bowl, yet here they are.

Fucking wonderful.

Edited by 54thMA, 23 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#49 dynomite

• 4523 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I might not watch just to skip the Helmet Catch clips.

I think we'll see that catch every fucking miserable bowl until we die. Fuck that fucking game in the fuck.

It's like the Buckner play and the Boone HR.  It will be a source of unending frustration and depression... until the Patriots win another Championship, which (for me, at least) will remove most of the sting.

Edited by dynomite, 23 January 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#50 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11294 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Oh, you poor, poor babies.  It must be so hard to have your team in the Super Bowl.  Maybe I should be thanking Jerry Jones for not ruining every Super Bowl Sunday for me instead of cursing him with every breath.  What an awful thing it must be to be a Patriots fan.

Except sleepy is a Vikings fan :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users