Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2013 NFL Draft Targets

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Reardons Beard

• 1047 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

1) What are the biggest gaps for the Patriots going forward?
2) Which gaps do you try to address in the draft?
3) Who might be a target?

#2 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10021 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

They got crushed on the offensive and defensive lines. They need another high end DL next to Wilfork, a WR that can burn defenses down the field (Lloyd is not that guy but is still a solid player working the sidelines), another safety and corner wouldn't hurt either.

#3 bigsid05

• 850 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I see big needs on DL and DB. A speedy WR would be nice. This team has a ton of talent on offense for next year so another defense-focused draft would be ideal, assuming the players are there.

#4 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11125 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

1) What are the biggest gaps for the Patriots going forward?
2) Which gaps do you try to address in the draft?
3) Who might be a target?

Hard to say until re-signs and free agency, but that thread got locked.

I'd try to trade Mallett for picks, but Lombardi might be the only one that wants him, and that might be a topic for a different thread.

#5 sleepyjose03

• 2403 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Safety. Safety. Safety. Talib, Dennard, and McCourty are a good start but they really need somebody who's not a liability out there.

Then DL/OL (can never have too many).

A big burner WR in a Torrey Smith mold would be nice - but the defense is the bigger concern at the moment IMO.

#6 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12000 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hard to say until re-signs and free agency, but that thread got locked.

I'd try to trade Mallett for picks, but Lombardi might be the only one that wants him, and that might be a topic for a different thread.

I would not, unless the Pats are convinced that Mallet is not a long term solution at QB.

Brady, like Manning, is past his prime, which is natural given his age. What we don't know is the length and steepness of the downside slope. What we do know is that it is now impossible in this League to win a championship without a first rate QB. Succession planning must begin in earnest with some urgency. Within a couple of years, the QBs in NE, Denver, NO and maybe even GB will clearly be eclipsed by the ones in SF, Sea and, if he's healthy, Wash. Better to be too early than too late on this.

Additionally:

1. We continue to pay deep in the playoffs by our inability to stretch the field. Maybe it's different with Gronk in there, but Gronk has now missed important post-season games. Plural. Get a WR.

2. Sadly, more investment is needed in D-backs.

3. Line depth is always essential.

Edited by dcmissle, 20 January 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#7 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11125 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Pats pick 29th FWIW

#8 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21395 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I would not, unless the Pats are convinced that Mallet is not a long term solution at QB.

Brady, like Manning, is past his prime, which is natural given his age. What we don't know is the length and steepness of the downside slope. What we do know, is that it is now impossible in this League to win a championship without a first rate QB. Succession planning must begin in earnest with some urgency. Within a couple of years, the QB in NE, Denver, NO and maybe even GB will clearly be eclipsed by the ones in SF, Sea and, if he's healthy, Wash. Better to be too early than too late on this.

Additionally:

1. We continue to pay deep in the playoffs by our inability to stretch the field. Maybe it's different with Gronk in there, but Gronk has now missed important post-season games. Plural. Get a WR.

I agree with all of this. But where do you get a WR that can contribute as soon as they need? Do you pay Bowe?

In terms of the 2013 season, I don't see the fix. I think you, again, try the draft, but we've seen how that has gone.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Everyone is talking about Austin, but at this point I'm ready for one of the 6'3 monsters.

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

Love was playing so bad that he lost his job for a time this year, Deaderick took a step back too and was bad in the playoffs. Wilfork could hit the cliff at any time.

Johnathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia
Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

What front are we going to use, how do we want to deploy Hightower, do we look for a Chandler Jones bookend compliment?

Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

No idea where Wilson is in his development, but drastic playing time cuts in the 2nd half of the season and playing behind Gregory isn't a plus. Talib? Dowling?

Eric Reid, S, LSU
Matt Elam, S, Florida
Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

#10 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I want them to draft a DT to play alongside VW in the first round and then draft high upside OL depth. Take flyers on S and skill positions later in the draft. The Pats got manhandled on the lines today, and you can never have too many linemen.

#11 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14171 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm not at all convinced height is what they need at WR---I think Gronk is enough there, though more isn't bad, but they absolutely need speed and quality depth there.

Branch playing many downs is, frankly, an organizational failure...he is not a threat to do anything downfield, he's not able to get free short anymore, and there's no upside. I don't know if Salas is a player or not, but the decision to expose him looks bad when you end up with effectively-useless Branch out there in a must-pass situation. He and Hoonownuiuiuiuiuiuiui out there made life a heck of a lot easier for the Ravens, and while having Gronk back helps hugely they need more.

I don't know whether trying to add a vet and a rookie or a high pick is the better solution---the Pats somewhat unique and complex system creates a hurdle, but going with status quo is not a viable option. They need someone who is a true deep threat, and someone else who can develop and fill-in as well.

#12 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11125 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Brady, like Manning, is past his prime, which is natural given his age. What we don't know is the length and steepness of the downside slope. What we do know is that it is now impossible in this League to win a championship without a first rate QB. Succession planning must begin in earnest with some urgency. Within a couple of years, the QBs in NE, Denver, NO and maybe even GB will clearly be eclipsed by the ones in SF, Sea and, if he's healthy, Wash. Better to be too early than too late on this.

That's certainly a good argument, but I'd rather take the picks and build around Brady. It's not a good night to argue it but I think Brady still has some elite years left. If we don't get premium pick in return then it's not worth talking about. I wouldn't give him away.

I agree.

#13 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11125 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I agree with all of this. But where do you get a WR that can contribute as soon as they need? Do you pay Bowe?

No way. I think FA receivers get over paid. You have to draft one.

In terms of the 2013 season, I don't see the fix. I think you, again, try the draft, but we've seen how that has gone.

Yeah, but this is a good year for WRs at the end of the first to the third round. I like Robert Woods, Markus Wheaton, and Terrance Williams because I think they would pick up the offense.

#14 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16026 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Big physical DBs who can cover big WRs, DL, athletic LB who can cover people, big physical WR.

Maybe they can acquire some balls too.

#15 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Remember, we have a 1, 2, 3, 7, 7

#16 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16026 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Remember, we have a 1, 2, 3, 7, 7

No chance we draft a player at 29. That will be traded.

#17 shoosh77

• 646 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

If Welker isn't kept, I'd expect Houston to through cash at him.

#18 OldSaintJohn

• swansoned his way on the site

• 732 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I don't know about DL help, the front 7 was pretty damn good this year. I think they need to target an impact secondary player, whether it be safety (preferably) or corner. It's just not a good thing when you lose ONE guy to injury and suddenly you're a different team. The problem, of course, is the complete failure to develop anyone in the secondary for a long, long time (though Dennard looks good)

#19 sleepyjose03

• 2403 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

QB...it's obvious that they one they have isn't good enough to win in today's NFL.

(I'm talking about the Vikings of course)

#20 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7173 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I don't know about DL help, the front 7 was pretty damn good this year.

Good against the run, but they were below average in sack rate (5.9% vs average 6.2%) and lousy at covering TE (29th in DVOA per FO) and RB (23rd). They need another player who can pressure the quarterback and somebody who can run with tight ends and linebackers.

#21 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 7825 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

If Welker isn't kept, I'd expect Houston to through cash at him.

It would be impressive to see how they would do that

#22 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16026 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Good against the run, but they were below average in sack rate (5.9% vs average 6.2%) and lousy at covering TE (29th in DVOA per FO) and RB (23rd). They need another player who can pressure the quarterback and somebody who can run with tight ends and linebackers.

Is there a Bruce Irvin type out there?

#23 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

It would be impressive to see how they would do that

SHOOSH!

#24 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11125 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

Is there a Bruce Irvin type out there?

Mingo, but he'll go too high. Dion Jordan maybe.

#25 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

They need to draft someone to replace that chump Dennard.

#26 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8872 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I don't know if they need another DE enough to use a high draft pick on one. Having Chandler Jones healthy will be a pretty big boost and we may see some improvement from Francis as well. I'd like to add another high-upside young player as the 4th DE in the rotation (or to just compete with Cunningham) but I don't see it as a huge area of need.

Drafting an athletic DT who can start alongside Vince and provide some push up the middle, on the other hand, seems like a big need.

More DB depth is always good, especially if we can't resign Talib. I love Jordan Poyer, the CB out of Oregon State, and would also like to see us look at Tony Jefferson, the S form Oklahoma. Both of those guys profile as 2nd rounders.

I also would love to grab a quick linebacker who can cover in the middle rounds - a guy like Gerald Hodges from Penn State. Our LBs are painfully bad in coverage -and our depth there is pretty weak. If we can hit on that draft pick then we can let Spikes walk after 2013, shift Mayo back to MLB, and insert our new LB at the Will.

#27 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

I don't know if they need another DE enough to use a high draft pick on one. Having Chandler Jones healthy will be a pretty big boost and we may see some improvement from Francis as well. I'd like to add another high-upside young player as the 4th DE in the rotation (or to just compete with Cunningham) but I don't see it as a huge area of need.

Drafting an athletic DT who can start alongside Vince and provide some push up the middle, on the other hand, seems like a big need.

More DB depth is always good, especially if we can't resign Talib. I love Jordan Poyer, the CB out of Oregon State, and would also like to see us look at Tony Jefferson, the S form Oklahoma. Both of those guys profile as 2nd rounders.

I also would love to grab a quick linebacker who can cover in the middle rounds - a guy like Gerald Hodges from Penn State. Our LBs are painfully bad in coverage -and our depth there is pretty weak. If we can hit on that draft pick then we can let Spikes walk after 2013, shift Mayo back to MLB, and insert our new LB at the Will.

This would be cool because we have the same last name. Maybe we're related!

#28 SoxFanInPdx

• 1680 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hopefully, this is the last game I see Arrington in a Patriots uniform. Watching him get exposed week in and week out was just crazy.

#29 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7173 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Hopefully, this is the last game I see Arrington in a Patriots uniform. Watching him get exposed week in and week out was just crazy.

Arrington was good from like week 9 on. He's also one of their better coverage players on special teams.

Edited by Super Nomario, 21 January 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#30 nighthob

• 2825 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

They need to draft someone to replace that chump Dennard.

He's about the only CB I'm not worried about. They definitely need another, though, because Arrington is dreadful. Once Talib went down their goose was cooked.

#31 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Yeah he was joking

#32 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Yeah he was joking

Because he's a beast.

#33 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11125 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

Because he's a beast.

No, he's a Nard Dog.

#34 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

No, he's a Nard Dog.

You started a thread that got locked, and the last post in it was by one "Jettisoned." In summation, draft some CBs who aren't 5'3".

Edited by Darnell's Son, 21 January 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#35 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

God dammit I'm going to punch you.

#36 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

God dammit I'm going to punch you.

Captain Laddie:
:rex:

#37 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

That was me until OldFartTree talked me off the ledge tonight.

#38 Darnell's Son

• 4241 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

That was me until OldFartTree talked me off the ledge tonight.

I wish you jumped.

#39 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

I wish you jumped.

Posted Image

#40 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 2002 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I think the biggest need (as other has mentioned) is a DT to play next to Wilfork. They need someone capable of winning one on one battles if Wilfork gets double teamed. The Pats generate no pressure up the middle when they only rush four. Combine a little middle pressure with some natural progression from Chandler Jones and you start to be able to get some pressure with just four guys.

#41 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12000 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

That's certainly a good argument, but I'd rather take the picks and build around Brady. It's not a good night to argue it but I think Brady still has some elite years left. If we don't get premium pick in return then it's not worth talking about. I wouldn't give him away.

I agree.

I remain interested in people's thoughts on this.

Tom will be 36 at the beginning of next season, about Peyton's age when he was swapped out for Luck.

SF got the succession planning going early, acquiring Young at the age of 26 when Montana was 30. Montana's last healthy season with the 49ers occured 4 years later, and Joe was sent packing shortly after that.

Kraft is in this for the long term (and maybe BB too), and this now could be a medium term, worse case short term problem.

It's not as bad as the NBA, but you can spent 10 years in the wilderness if you're caught short at this position. I think we'll find out pretty quickly whether they view Mallet as a worthy successor.

#42 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7696 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Mingo, but he'll go too high. Dion Jordan maybe.

I'm pretty sure Jordan won't last either.

#43 Reardons Beard

• 1047 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Great responses so far - tend to agree biggest holes are on defense, in particular the secondary (biggest gap) and then the defensive line. Vince ain't getting younger and could use a wingman. Hope Talib is back as he really shored up things with Dennard coming around and McCourty moving to safety, but they're still one sandwich short of a picnic.

Have to figue this is a defensive focused draft with offensive pickups via FA.

Edited by Reardons Beard, 21 January 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#44 Reardons Beard

• 1047 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I remain interested in people's thoughts on this.

Tom will be 36 at the beginning of next season, about Peyton's age when he was swapped out for Luck.

SF got the succession planning going early, acquiring Young at the age of 26 when Montana was 30. Montana's last healthy season with the 49ers occured 4 years later, and Joe was sent packing shortly after that.

Kraft is in this for the long term (and maybe BB too), and this now could be a medium term, worse case short term problem.

It's not as bad as the NBA, but you can spent 10 years in the wilderness if you're caught short at this position. I think we'll find out pretty quickly whether they view Mallet as a worthy successor.

I think they're two years away from this point, but you can bet they're scouting underclassmen and keeping an eye on the top talent across the nation at the position. I'm not sure this year (or next) you actually draft a guy, but the homework is going to begin full force this offseason...if they haven't been doing it already.

I would not be the least bit surprised if they had a preliminary QB wish list for the 2015 draft

#45 seantoo

• Branch Rickey Jr.

• 1211 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I read an article recently and a friend reminded me of it yesterday, all the great quarterbacks were esentially done by 35 at least in regards to winning a superbowl. Of course all it take is the Pats and Brady doing it next year to prove that wrong, but it is fodder for thought. Maybe his last Superbowl win is allready long gone.

#46 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7173 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I read an article recently and a friend reminded me of it yesterday, all the great quarterbacks were esentially done by 35 at least in regards to winning a superbowl. Of course all it take is the Pats and Brady doing it next year to prove that wrong, but it is fodder for thought. Maybe his last Superbowl win is allready long gone.

Elway won his two at 37 and 38.

#47 Ralphwiggum

• 1291 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Not only that, athletes in all sports can play at an elite level later into their careers now than ever before. Whether that is because of better training and nutrition or better drugs, who knows, but it is true. Plus, the rules in football have changed so much since Montana's era to protect QBs. Obviously Brady does not have more than a handful of elite years left, but I think he has a couple, and comparisons to past eras just don't hold water for a number of reasons.

#48 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7470 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

1-D-line, another pass rusher, the Pats have to do a better job pressuring elite QBs
2-CB, and try to re-sign Talib
3-O-line (I thought they generally played well this year, and played ok yesterday, but another big body to protect Brady and open holes for Ridley/(if he's still alive)/Vereen.

This team is still relatively young, They're not done yet.

Edited by bankshot1, 21 January 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#49 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21013 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

John Elway wants to talk to you. People generally attribute his finally winning at age 37 and again at 38 to the Broncos successfully going after a really good running game, Terrell Davis and a strong O-line being the principals.

Oops, read the whole thread before responding. The running game helped get it over the top for the Broncos but I think the Pats need to get some big stud receivers like the Falcons and the, ugh, Ravens.

Edited by Al Zarilla, 21 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#50 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5472 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Having a great DT next to Wilfork seems like a bit of a luxury more than a need to me. The defensive side of the ball probably provides the greatest opportunities for upgrades. In 2012 we were 9th in the league in Pts against, but 25th in yards allowed, we were 6th in rushing yards allowed per attempt, and 27th in yards per passing attempt allowed. Also, we were 8th in rushing TDs allowed and 21st in passing TDs allowed. To me, this all points to the need to improve our passing defense, and I dont see how a great DT next to Wilfork helps with that. I would imagine we would see greater improvement in our passing defense if we found a play making pass rusher, CB, safety, or coverage LB in that order. As far as pass rushers go, with Ninkovich and Jones [healthy] we probably need a guy to sub for them, so we probably wouldnt want to use the first rounder on that considering at CB and safety we need a starter at one of those [assuming we treat McCourty as an interchangeable part]. So in utopia my dream draft priority board would be starting CB, safety, sub pass rusher then coverage LB.

Offensively, I cant seem to put my finger on exactly what the problem is that holds them back in the playoffs. From 07 to last night they have 5 playoff losses, and it was only against the Jets in 2010 that they scored more than 17. On the whole their offense is awesome and puts up points, it just that once a year in the playoffs the offense has a clunker game and is very much below average. We arent changing at QB,our RBs seem pretty good right now and they are young and improving, and we have 2 of the best TEs in the league. That leaves WR and O-line, at this point I think we have enough history to suggest that its probably not a good investment for this team to use picks in the first 3 rounds on WRs, and any WR that we drafted probably isnt contributing much in 2013 anyway. So offensively I think we should target a talented OL, basically finally give Dante some real toys to play with and not ask him to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t with a starter or 2. My thinking here is that perhaps if our OL was one of the best pieces of the offense, perhaps we could avoid these playoff clunkers

Putting my two priority lists together, I would say OL and CB are about an equal priority, then safety, sub pass rusher, then coverage LB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users