Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Napoli Signs 1 Year Deal

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 TOleary25

• 324 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

1 yr, $5m per Heyman. Wow. Hard to beat that price, but it's also concerning what the Sox saw that made his price drop all the way down to $5m.

#2 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, the hip must be bad, or at least that's what the sox were pushing. They probably used Beltre's deal for parameters and said "look this is what you can do on a one year make good deal."

#3 TOleary25

• 324 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Looks like there is incentives that could push the deal to $13M if Napoli is able to stay healthy, which seems like a big IF. The Sox basically hold a player option with the qualifying offer next year that will probably be around $13M again. If he performs at a high level in 2013, the Sox can give him the qualifying offer and be happy with whatever decision Nap makes.

Edited by TOleary25, 17 January 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#4 koufax37

• 2062 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Troubling that the hip is bad enough to drop the contract that much.

Hopefully the reason for the deal is not near hopeless injury that reduces Napoli to a $5M flier, but is instead the Red Sox being risk adverse, and Napoli realizing he wasn't going to get a multi-year deal right now, so earning his incentives to a $13M and getting a multi-year next year like Beltre is the way to go.

Good situation for Napoli if he is healthy and can prove it. Good situation for the Red Sox if he is healthy and can prove it. Bad situation for Napoli if he is not healthy. Good situation for the Red Sox financially if he is not healthy, but bad situation lineup wise if he is not healthy (although the financial flexibility could help net his replacement during the year).

I'm going to proceed with skeptical optimism and hope that Napoli earns $13M as a first baseman only, and likely leaves catching behind him because of the hip risk.

Let's just hope that trading Adrian to heal some larger problems that ailed us doesn't lead to a revolving door at 1B the way trading Nomar to heal some larger problems that ailed us caused us to have a revolving door at SS for a long time.

#5 Eck'sSneakyCheese

• SoSH Member

• 6684 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Looks like there is incentives that could push the deal to $13M if Napoli is able to stay healthy, which seems like a big IF. The Sox basically hold a player option with the qualifying offer next year that will probably be around $13M again. If he performs at a high level in 2013, the Sox can give him the qualifying offer and be happy with whatever decision Nap makes.

I like that deal on both ends. If healthy the Sox get the player they originally thought they were getting at the price they were willing to pay, if not it won't cost them much and they can cut ties.

#6 alwyn96

• 659 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Man, 1/$5M is a long way from 3/$39M. I hope there's actually a functioning hip somewhere in Napoli's body. I'm not sure a bad hip ever really gets better, either. Even if Napoli destroys the league next year, his hip will still be a concern to any team looking to sign him. He's not that old, but I wonder if it ever gets better than 3/$39 for Napoli again. Probably not. It's surprising that he went so low, but it certainly does limit the risk for the Red Sox.

Revolving door/open spots at 1B can be an opportunity, too. The Red Sox found Millar/Ortiz that way a few years ago, and Daubach a few years before that.

Edited by alwyn96, 17 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#7 BoredViewer

• 2030 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Ill love to see how many people hate him when he's leading us in power categories by mid May. A very very underrated player on this board. I think it's funny that people actually rate Gomez and Holt higher than Napoli.

I think the concern is whether or not he'll still be leading/playing by mid August.

Must've been something pretty serious in the medical report. If there were other 3/36 or 2/25 deals sitting out there... I'd think he would've walked.

I never liked the 3/39... 1/5 is virtually no risk - though I'm not sure the Sox have ever really had any luck on these 1/5 deals where injuries have been a concern.
** Though I'm not sure I can recall too many that didn't involve pitchers

Edited by BoredViewer, 17 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#8 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3226 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think the concern is whether or not he'll still be leading/playing by mid August.

Must've been something pretty serious in the medical report. If there were other 3/36 or 2/25 deals sitting out there... I'd think he would've walked.

I never liked the 3/39... 1/5 is virtually no risk - though I'm not sure the Sox have ever really had any luck on these 1/5 deals where injuries have been a concern.

Agree with the basis of your point, the 3/39 if his hip was right was a solid deal IMO, but if he had deals like that out there then he would have absolutely walked. He could still make 13 million this year and I hope he does, since if he hits all of his incentives he would probably be an MVP candidate.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums, 17 January 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#9 keyalyn

• 549 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

The fact that he got three opinions on his hip and they all confirmed the same story doesn't make you confident he'll be on the field much, but 1/$5M is low risk and very high reward. He only gets paid if he produces, and if he gets injured early on they have plenty of flexibility to acquire another player.

#10 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

The fact that he got three opinions on his hip and they all confirmed the same story doesn't make you confident he'll be on the field much, but 1/$5M is low risk and very high reward. He only gets paid if he produces, and if he gets injured early on they have plenty of flexibility to acquire another player.

The opinions may have confirmed the condition, but the timing is still likely uncertain. We heard before it could be an issue at anytime or 5 years from now. It bears repeating he has never spent a day on the DL due to a hip problem and he may have had this condition for some time.

On the main board Dave Roberts speculated it could be avascular necrosis which can be asymptomatic until the hip bone collapses. This is what ended Bo Jacksons career and could explain the fact that Napoli has never had a hip problem that landed him on the DL but is such a concern to the Red Sox and obviously other teams given the lack of offers.

How this affects Napoli mentally on the field and his off season/in season conditioning knowing he has such a condition, if that is what he has, might be the biggest wild card in terms of what the Red Sox get from him if his hip does not land him on the DL.

In this context, I think its a fair deal for both parties. Napoli has a chance to make 13 million and if healthy and with a good year, might get a QO from the Red Sox at the end of 2013. The Red Sox are protected financially if the hip goes in year 1. Of course, worst case for both parties is the hip goes early, and the Red Sox have to scramble for another 1Bman in season.

The other risk for the Red Sox is Napoli stays healthy and earns 13 million but is so distracted over the hip he hits like Casey Kotchman and fields like Adam Dunn and runs the bases like Adrian Gonzalez.

#11 keyalyn

• 549 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

That's a fair point. Hopefully it is something that doesn't show up for several years or never at all. But if that was the case, you'd think that some other team would have taken that risk and offered him a guaranteed position for something better than 1/$5M. We obviously have no idea what the problem here is, so hopefully it isn't as bad as I am thinking.

#12 Towney007

• 222 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Even if his production drops by half, he's still a good value. Much better off paying Napoli 1/$5 million than paying anyone else left on the market anything at all. If Napoli had fallen through, Salty would by my 1B next year.

Edited by Towney007, 18 January 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#13 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Even if his production drops by half, he's still a good value. Much better off paying Napoli 1/$5 million than paying anyone else left on the market anything at all. If Napoli had fallen through, Salty would by my 1B next year.

That depend on if the incentives kicks in. If he makes close to 13 million and puts up less than 2 WAR as he did last year per B-Ref, its not such a good deal. And if the Red Sox only pay 5 million, well that means Napoli missed a lot of time, doesn't it?.

That's a fair point. Hopefully it is something that doesn't show up for several years or never at all. But if that was the case, you'd think that some other team would have taken that risk and offered him a guaranteed position for something better than 1/$5M. We obviously have no idea what the problem here is, so hopefully it isn't as bad as I am thinking.

Supposedly its still not a done deal according to Theo (oops, meant Ben). I find it hard to understand the Yankees not making a play for 1 yr, but maybe they did and Napoli thinks 1 yr at Fenway with the Red Sox gets him more playing time and better numbers.

Edited by Sampo Gida, 18 January 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#14 alwyn96

• 659 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

That depend on if the incentives kicks in. If he makes close to 13 million and puts up less than 2 WAR as he did last year per B-Ref, its not such a good deal. And if the Red Sox only pay 5 million, well that means Napoli missed a lot of time, doesn't it?.

He only played around 100 games last year, which is obviously going to effect his WAR, and WAR is screwy for catchers anyway. If he only plays around 100 games like he did last year, he probably won't reach the $13M incentives, but if he hits 24 HR and puts up a 110 OPS+, that's likely worth around $13M anyway. Are you arguing that the deal isn't a good value? Worst case, he sucks hard and it isn't his hip that hurts him, and the Red Sox are out $13M for one year. It's still only one year, and there's no one else on the market available for just cash with as much upside.

Edited by alwyn96, 18 January 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#15 TOleary25

• 324 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

If he only plays around 100 games like he did last year, he probably won't reach the $13M incentives, but if he hits 24 HR and puts up a 110 OPS+, that's likely worth around $13M anyway.

Exactly. Abraham reported that some of Nap's incentives are based on whether he goes on the DL or not so it's far from a guarantee that he gets $13M, especially if he is sucking/injured. These are the type of deals I love for oft-injured players. There's minimum risk if he sucks ($5M) and the Sox give him a lot of incentive to produce big numbers (more money this year and future years).

Supposedly its still not a done deal according to Theo (oops, meant Ben).

I'm pretty sure they have to take someone off the 40 man in order to add Napoli so I think that's why Ben's saying it isn't done.

#16 Worcester Ruby Legs

• 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Cherington has not made Farrell's first year easy. It looks looks like Cherington has brought in a collection of players that can't, or shouldn't, be playng every day. Napoli with his hip, Gomes, Salty/Ross/Lavarnway, and the SS question. To me, the way Farrell manages C, SS, and 1B will dictate how the Sox season plays out. Obviously every team has positions with question marks. However, the Sox seem to have more question marks than most. It should be interesting to see how Farrell handles the lineup this year.

#17 alwyn96

• 659 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Cherington has not made Farrell's first year easy. It looks looks like Cherington has brought in a collection of players that can't, or shouldn't, be playng every day. Napoli with his hip, Gomes, Salty/Ross/Lavarnway, and the SS question. To me, the way Farrell manages C, SS, and 1B will dictate how the Sox season plays out. Obviously every team has positions with question marks. However, the Sox seem to have more question marks than most. It should be interesting to see how Farrell handles the lineup this year.

For better or worse, I think Drew is the everyday SS, Gomes is probably the everyday LF, and Napoli is the everyday 1B unless all of them injure or suck their way out of the lineup. Ross and Salty split time at C, with Lavarnway likely starting in AAA. I'd say there are fewer questions than on most teams. I mean, who exactly is the Yankees DH? Who the hell is their catcher? Is Loney seriously the Rays starting 1B? These are much bigger problems. The Red Sox may not be the favorites, but they're pretty much set at every position with at least an average-ish player. It's as much a set it and forget it as a team can be - Farrell's real test will be responding to the inevitable injuries, scandals, and media BS that Boston is famous for.

Edited by alwyn96, 19 January 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#18 touchstone033

• 175 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Maybe it's me, but it was odd the way the deal went down. I can't remember anything similar happening to any other free agent.

For starters, it seems...odd...that there was apparently no knowledge of the condition of Napoli's hip. Don't teams see medicals before signing players? Was Napoli hiding his condition? Or maybe he didn't know about it?

The Sox also really had Napoli over a barrel. They had all the power in the negotiations. By spreading rumors of Napoli's hip while renegotiating the contract, they essentially prevented Napoli from signing anywhere else. That Napoi's contract essentially dropped from $39M to $5M shows Boston's advantage in the negotiations. If I'm a baseball player or an agent, the deal might make me think twice about signing with the Red Sox. And Napoli can't be happy about the way things turned out. He just lost $34M.

It just looks weird. I hope someday we get a blow-by-blow account of what went down.

Still, as a fan, it's nice to see Napoli sign for $5M, which means, presumably, Boston now has another $34M to invest in the team.

#19 alwyn96

• 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Maybe it's me, but it was odd the way the deal went down. I can't remember anything similar happening to any other free agent.

For starters, it seems...odd...that there was apparently no knowledge of the condition of Napoli's hip. Don't teams see medicals before signing players? Was Napoli hiding his condition? Or maybe he didn't know about it?

The Sox also really had Napoli over a barrel. They had all the power in the negotiations. By spreading rumors of Napoli's hip while renegotiating the contract, they essentially prevented Napoli from signing anywhere else. That Napoi's contract essentially dropped from $39M to $5M shows Boston's advantage in the negotiations. If I'm a baseball player or an agent, the deal might make me think twice about signing with the Red Sox. And Napoli can't be happy about the way things turned out. He just lost $34M.

It just looks weird. I hope someday we get a blow-by-blow account of what went down.

Still, as a fan, it's nice to see Napoli sign for $5M, which means, presumably, Boston now has another $34M to invest in the team.

It happened only a few years ago with both Drew and Lackey. It actually took them even longer to reach an agreement with Drew. It happened with the Yankees with Jaret Wright and Okajima. Normally people just forget this stuff because who cares, really? It happens.

Almost nothing teams do seems to have an effect on which players sign with which organizations, though. I don't think I've ever heard a player say they wouldn't sign somewhere because of how they handled some other player's negotiation. From what I can tell, it's basically all about money and location preference. I'm guessing the Rangers didn't send medical records to the Red Sox, and from what it sounds like, Napoli wasn't aware of how bad things were in there, and the Rangers might not have known either. It was his quad, not his hip, that was his troublesome injury last year.

Edited by alwyn96, 21 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#20 keninten

• 169 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

It happened only a few years ago with both Drew and Lackey. It actually took them even longer to reach an agreement with Drew. It happened with the Yankees with Jaret Wright and Okajima. Normally people just forget this stuff because who cares, really? It happens.

Almost nothing teams do seems to have an effect on which players sign with which organizations, though. I don't think I've ever heard a player say they wouldn't sign somewhere because of how they handled some other player's negotiation. From what I can tell, it's basically all about money and location preference.

I agree with you but their could be an exception with the Marlins.

Edited by keninten, 21 January 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#21 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I think Napoli did recieve other offers after the hip stuff leaked, but the sox deal offered the most playing time (at least compared to one other offer from Texas). It probably says some things about Napoli's mindframe if he's looking for deals that offer the most playing time and the oppurtunity to put up numbers (ie. he doesn't believe the hip is a problem).

I think this deal is an absolute steal, I also like the depth this team has.... I think one more player needs to be picked up in a bench lefthanded outfielder who can also play first base. If I were Kalish or even Nava, I'd start taking ST reps at 1stbase.

Edited by Hugh G Rection, 21 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#22 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Never really understood why fans are happy the players they are to root for take a bath financially.

The Red Sox budget is based on the payroll being below the salary tax threshold in any given year, a 3 yr 39 million deal is the same as a 1 yr 13 million dollar deal. Since Napoli has incentives that allows him to reach 13 million this year, they have to assume he reaches these incentives (all but 1 million seem achievable).

As such, the Red Sox do not have any additional money to spend this year unless they are willing to assume they blew 5 million on Napoli since the only way Napoli makes 5 million is if he is injured most of the season, Even then, they have to add the cost of obtaining a replacement for Napoli in season when the price is higher in terms of prospects/players.

#23 keyalyn

• 549 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Boston Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli revealed Tuesday that he has avascular necrosis in both hips, the same degenerative condition that ended the career of two-sport star Bo Jackson.
But Napoli said that because the condition was discovered in its early stages and is being treating with medication, he sees no reason why he can't play this season.

According to the Social Security Disability Resource Center, if caught early, avascular necrosis can be treated through medication, rest and exercise. Later stages can require surgery, such as depression at the core of the bone, reshaping the bone, a bone transplant or even total joint replacement.

Untreated, the site said, the condition can progress to severe pain and irreversible disability in the course of just a few years.

"We don't have a lot of concern about 2013," Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said. "There's no reason that Mike Napoli won't be our primary first baseman in 2013. There's no reason that won't happen starting Opening Day. It's very important to note that, although this condition is less common in baseball players than some other issues, from all the information that's been gathered, this has been caught very early.

http://espn.go.com/b...e-hip-condition

#24 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Over on the main board someone posted a study on patients with bilateral AVN which was asymptomatic on one hip. 31% went on to collapse of the asymptomatic hip in an average of 4.1 years after diagnosis. Pain preceeded collapse by 8 months on average. Of course, these were not athletes, and all of the patients had symptoms on 1 of the hips..

My main question in reading what has been written is about the MRI Texas took last March that was supposedly clean (or at least interpreted as such, these things are not always interpreted properly). Why would they take an MRI of the hip unless he had symptoms?. This explains them not making a QO since if Napoli knew of his condition then, he may well have taken it knowing it would be difficult to get a multi year deal with anyone else.

This MRI and Texas not making a QO likely led the Red Sox to investigate further with their own MRI.

#25 touchstone033

• 175 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Never really understood why fans are happy the players they are to root for take a bath financially.

Gee, I don't know. I guess it's because teams usually have a certain budget, and the more production they can buy with that budget, the better the team does?

#26 alwyn96

• 659 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Gee, I don't know. I guess it's because teams usually have a certain budget, and the more production they can buy with that budget, the better the team does?

Well, the way they talk, you'd think that fans actually liked the players and wanted to see them do well. Clearly many fans like the team more than they care about players they root for as people, which is kind of sad in a way. Sports fandom is weird.

#27 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

That's not the case this year. Red Sox are well within the salary tax threshold even with Napoli at 3/39.

#28 PhilPlantier

• 1531 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

That's not the case this year. Red Sox are well within the salary tax threshold even with Napoli at 3/39.

I don't think your point about the Red Sox being below the salary tax threshold undermines the point that spending less on the players they want creates more flexibility to acquire other players they might want -- both now and in the future. When Mike Napoli is the best value that the market has to offer at 1B, the Red Sox would almost certainly prefer to kick the can down the road for one more year, rather than tie up the position for the next three.

If this added flexibility means Napoli has to settle for a contract that sets up his unborn grandchildren for life (though perhaps not his great-great-grandchildren), I won't lose any sleep. He certainly isn't losing any sleep over my crippling student loan debt or my inability to purchase a house, no matter how loudly I cheer for him.

#29 touchstone033

• 175 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well, the way they talk, you'd think that fans actually liked the players and wanted to see them do well. Clearly many fans like the team more than they care about players they root for as people, which is kind of sad in a way. Sports fandom is weird.

I don't think your point about the Red Sox being below the salary tax threshold undermines the point that spending less on the players they want creates more flexibility to acquire other players they might want -- both now and in the future. When Mike Napoli is the best value that the market has to offer at 1B, the Red Sox would almost certainly prefer to kick the can down the road for one more year, rather than tie up the position for the next three.

If this added flexibility means Napoli has to settle for a contract that sets up his unborn grandchildren for life (though perhaps not his great-great-grandchildren), I won't lose any sleep. He certainly isn't losing any sleep over my crippling student loan debt or my inability to purchase a house, no matter how loudly I cheer for him.

I think Plantier's dead-on when talking about roster flexibility, future investment, etc. Getting a player at a bargain rate technically means more money for players elsewhere. That's why Longoria's extension by the Rays was praised; barring injury or a sudden decline in performance, Longoria will provide his team with more production at lower rate than it would cost on the open market.

Of course, on the flip side, if the team saves on a contract but doesn't spend that savings, it's not like that money's going back to the fans or anything. It's going into the pockets of the owners. With the new CBA handcuffing teams from spending on the draft or the international market and with the influx of new television money, teams have more money to spend than ever before, so I have no problem with the players getting their share of that revenue.

#30 TOleary25

• 324 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

This explains them not making a QO since if Napoli knew of his condition then, he may well have taken it knowing it would be difficult to get a multi year deal with anyone else.

This MRI and Texas not making a QO likely led the Red Sox to investigate further with their own MRI.

Supposedly the Red Sox were the one's to find this condition during the physical. Napoli then went for 2nd and 3rd opinions that confirmed the diagnosis so I don't think either Texas or Nap knew beforehand. A 2nd or 3rd opinion would be a waste of his time if he already knew he had AVN. I think the reason Texas didn't make a QO to Napoli is because they had other priorities (Signing Hamilton/Greinke).

#31 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Supposedly the Red Sox were the one's to find this condition during the physical. Napoli then went for 2nd and 3rd opinions that confirmed the diagnosis so I don't think either Texas or Nap knew beforehand. A 2nd or 3rd opinion would be a waste of his time if he already knew he had AVN. I think the reason Texas didn't make a QO to Napoli is because they had other priorities (Signing Hamilton/Greinke).

It was widely reported there was an MRI before the 2012 season done by Texas which did not show the condition. My question was simply why the MRI was performed by Texas.

#32 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'm not sure , but my guess would be that when doing a full exam on a catcher it's typical to MRI the hips and knees. Especially when checking out a catcher who is not a spring chicken. Other than that he may have felt something "different" about the hips without necessarily feeling pain or having swelling.

That's my guess, but it is a good question. The other question would be why didn't Texas find this condition? Or has it simply progressed enough where it's now noticable , where it wasn't when Texas did the exam.

#33 TOleary25

• 324 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

It was widely reported there was an MRI before the 2012 season done by Texas which did not show the condition. My question was simply why the MRI was performed by Texas.

Sorry, misread you're original post. Do you have a link talking about this MRI by Texas? The only one I can find during that offseason is an MRI on his injured ankle during the World Series.

The Rangers may have been thinking about extending Nap after a big 2011 and that may be a reason to do an MRI. Or as Hugh mentioned, it could be a regular check up on catchers. Especially for oft injured catchers like Napoli.

#34 Hugh G Rection

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

A expert on this sort of condition in the Edes piece (I think it was Edes) was saying that the Quad injury from last season may have been refered pain from the hip.  There was also some concern when Brett Favre was drafted that the initial physical found the same condition, Favre went on to have a decent career so that does leave me more encouraged that Napoli could play through (or not be affected by) the condition.

#35 Sampo Gida

• 3015 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I found this and thought it was interesting concerning possible causes of AVN.

http://bostonherald....still_being_fed

Chris Geary, chief of sports medicine at Tufts Medical Center, along with a doctor who still treats professional athletes but did not
want to be named, singled out exposure to steroids — used for either medical or performance-enhancing purposes — as a common cause of AVN
among athletes. Alcoholism, congenital abnormalities and deep-sea diving are some other causes.

“Sometimes it’s completely idiopathic,” said Geary, referring to unknown reasons for being afflicted with AVN.
“There could be no risk factors and there’s not always a discrete corollary.”

. [/quote]

A
expert on this sort of condition in the Edes piece (I think it was
Edes) was saying that the Quad injury from last season may have been
refered pain from the hip.  There was also some concern when Brett Favre
was drafted that the initial physical found the same condition, Favre
went on to have a decent career so that does leave me more encouraged
that Napoli could play through (or not be affected by) the condition.

If it was referred pain, meaning the hip was causing the pain, this is not good since it means the hip is not asymptomatic and from what I understand this leads to a poorer
prognosis.  According to one study I read in a link on the main board in the Napoli thread,  pain in a previously asymptomatic hip precedes collapse by 8 months on average.  In the same study only 30% of asymptomatic AVN patients went on to experience hip collapse.

Sorry, misread you're original post. Do you have a link talking about this MRI by Texas? The only one I can find during that offseason is an MRI on his injured ankle during the World Series.

The Rangers may have been thinking about extending Nap after a big 2011 and that may be a reason to do an MRI. Or as Hugh mentioned, it could be a regular check up on catchers. Especially for oft injured catchers like Napoli.

http://bostonherald....inally_official

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users