Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Salty, Red Sox agree on a 1-year, $4.5 million deal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15720 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

The Red Sox settled one of their nine arbitration-eligible cases Thursday, agreeing to terms with catcher Jarod Saltalamacchia on a one-year, $4.5 million contract.

The contract represents an 80 percent raise for Saltalamacchia, who earned $2.5 million last season.

http://www.csnne.com...361&feedID=3352

#2 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5494 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

REDSOX

#RedSox agree to terms w/ Jarrod Saltalamacchia on 1 year non-guaranteed contract for 2013, thus avoiding salary arbitration.

The bolded part seems odd. Why would he agree to a non guaranteed deal? He's been offered arb already, it's not like they can on tender him at this point.

#3 Crazy Puppy

• 1775 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

The bolded part seems odd. Why would he agree to a non guaranteed deal? He's been offered arb already, it's not like they can on tender him at this point.

All contracts reached through the arb process are non-guaranteed, so it's standard for deals that are reached to avoid arb to be the same. It's debatable whether the non-guaranteed part really means anything anyway. The CBA says a team can cut a player on a non-guaranteed deal in spring training and only owe 1/6th or 1/4th of the salary (depending on when the player is cut), but only if the player fails to show "sufficient skill" to make the team. You can't just cut a guy because you don't want to pay him.

#4 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7525 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

What does this mean in terms of a possible trade?

#5 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

It doesn't mean anything, the trade partner would assume the contract as per usual

#6 Papelbon's Poutine

• 4828 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

This is lower than what had been projected, no? I can't find it anywhere but I seem to remember him being slotted in at $6M by Speier.

#7 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

This is lower than what had been projected, no? I can't find it anywhere but I seem to remember him being slotted in at $6M by Speier.

FWIW, MLBTR had him projected for $3.9M.

#8 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25851 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there *anyone* who thinks he's still on the team on opening day?

#9 redsoxstiff

• hip-tossed Yogi in a bar fight

• 6657 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

me do...One year gives them a good amount of time to see whether Lavarnway will do...

#10 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

me do...One year gives them a good amount of time to see whether Lavarnway will do...

You may be forgetting the Ross acquisition.

#11 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8891 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there *anyone* who thinks he's still on the team on opening day?

Not me. The non-guaranteed contract says to me that the Sox plan to cut him in ST as last resort if they can't get anything for him on the trade market.

#12 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27874 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't know; I think there's a very real chance that Salty and Ross platoon at catcher and Lavarnway starts the year in Pawtucket.

#13 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I thought there was zero chance of Salty being a Red Sox in 2013. However, if Napoli's hip makes him not viable as even an emergency catching option, it might change the calculus of seeing what Lavarnaway can do now vs stashing him in AAA. Ross is pretty old, so if you trade Salty and Napoli can't catch at all, suddenly you're in a pretty bad spot if Ross gets hurt or is totally ineffective. I'd still prefer to take the gamble and see what the kid has (I am high neither on Salty or the Sox being a serious contender in 2013), but it wouldn't stun me anymore to see them retain Salty to preserve organizational depth.

Edit: typo, and beaten to the punch I see.

Edited by JimBoSox9, 17 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#14 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4820 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Also, Saltalamacchia also represents another alternative at 1B should Napoli's hip falter at any point. Obviously, he's by no means ideal, but he could serve as an emergency back-up option should they decide to stash Gomez at Pawtucket for roster flexibility purposes. Can't be any worse than asking Kalish or Gomes to serve in a similar capacity.

#15 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20205 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I can easily imagine Salty being on the Red Sox roster come opening day. Among his other qualities, Salty is injury protection. David Ross is 35 years old, and plays the most physically demanding position on the field. It would not be an enormous surprise if Ross accumulated injuries during spring training. Ryan Lavarnway is, or was, considered not especially athletic, and in need of practice behind the plate. Salty is the surest thing of the three, even if his pitch-calling and defensive agility left plenty to be desired in 2012.

#16 Rovin Romine

• 2873 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

In 2010, our pitching coach was Farrell and our main catchers were Varitek and Victor Martinez. Salty appeared in 10 games. In 2011, Farrell was gone as the pitching coach and the catchers were Salty and Tek, with some pitchers performing much better for Tek. 2012 was what it was.

It's possible that Farrell might view Salty as somewhat "fixable" at least in terms of pitch calling, as he didn't have a chance to work with Salty for an extended time.

Farrell may have a completely different idea of how to prep work/pitch calling should happen than final-year-Tito or Valentine did. I think that Farrell as a manager might be inclined to redraw certain aspects of how games are managed. Farrell is smart enough to identify pitch calling as a weakness. Farrell tried to make across the board changes while he was in Toronto, at least as far as baserunning went, and we know he wants to split traditional coaching functions among two coaches.

#17 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Also, Saltalamacchia also represents another alternative at 1B should Napoli's hip falter at any point.

And unlike Nava or Kalish, he has at least a tad bit of ML experience at the position. Salty and Ross splitting the catching, with Salty as the emergency/off-day 1B and Lavarnway and Gomez both a shuttle ride away, sounds like a workable plan.

For another possibility, would a trade with the Mariners be in the cards now? They're short at C and have an excess of 1Bs. We're short at 1B and have catching to spare. Seems like there might be a deal there.

#18 Edelpeddle

• 273 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Not me. The non-guaranteed contract says to me that the Sox plan to cut him in ST as last resort if they can't get anything for him on the trade market.

The non-guaranteed contract is standard in cases of arbitration eligible players. It does not mean the Red Sox could cut him and not have to pay his salary, unless as already pointed out he fails to show "sufficient skill and competitive ability" in spring training. It happened to Todd Walker in 2007. The Padres released him after he hit .225 in spring training and the Player's Association filed a grievance which they lost because he hit .225. If Salty hits say .260 in Spring Training the Red Sox might lose an appeal if they try to release him without being on the hook for his salary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users