Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Manti Te'o and His Totally Hot Girlfriend from Out of State

621 replies to this topic

#1 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22147 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I mean, WTF?

Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

#2 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

My favorite part of that is how "Lennay Kekua" was played by Marquis Tuiasosopo's male cousin, who's a church music director.

If you read that sentence a few times it starts to look unreal, like a bizarre Mad Lib.

#3 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3265 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

That is a truly bizarre story.

#4 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6767 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Holy crap that would be awful if true.

#5 ThePrideofShiner

• 2455 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Insane that he perpetuated this. He had to know that the death could be verified, right?

#6 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22147 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Could be a little lie got out of control and became a big lie.

BTW, I put this in the Notre Dame football thread -- thanks for breaking it out, I love the thread title.

Edited by Lose Remerswaal, 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#7 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5824 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Just finished reading the article. I know a couple of friends who have been "catfished" by girls on the internet - but going along with it like this for publicity...that takes it to a whole different level. It will be interesting to see the backlash he faces if this gains MSM traction.

#8 gtg807y

• 2493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

For Deadspin's sake, they better be on the money with this one. What a truly bizarre story.

#9 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3087 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Holy crap that would be awful if true.

No kidding. I'd be crushed if this story ends and there is no dead chick.

#10 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wonder if he has contacted Oprah yet.

Dear god what a hoax.

#11 singaporesoxfan

• 3393 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Will he fall far enough for the Patriots to draft him?

#12 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16366 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Somebody had a pretty interesting theory in the comments: what if this was his attempt at staying on the downlow?

#13 ThePrideofShiner

• 2455 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Somebody had a pretty interesting theory in the comments: what if this was his attempt at staying on the downlow?

That's possible, but why did he push it to the point of letting it become a national story? Having a fake girlfriend is one thing, telling reporters that she got into a car wreck or got leukemia and you "talk" to her on the phone for 8 hours a night is another thing entirely.

#14 Dan to Theo to Ben

• 3980 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

There is never a videographer around when you need one.

#15 Dan to Theo to Ben

• 3980 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

#16 Greg Blosser

• 2173 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Francesca: "I know what you're thinking - he's a perfect Jet."

#17 bosox188

• 1056 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've been reading through the Deadspin story and I'm just at a complete loss for words.

#18 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

found out this story was coming out and told more lies to ND to try and cover his ass?

Edited by SoxScout, 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#19 NDBoston

• 748 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

This story is insane. A hoax? This isn't going to end well.

#20 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8399 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Sooooooo, he's the victim? I'm so comfused

#21 gtg807y

• 2493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Whoever takes him, it's going to be an awkward moment on ESPN's draft coverage. At least until Berman breaks the tension. MANTI TE'-OH YOU REALLY FOOLED US WITH THAT ONE

#22 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13421 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

The comments themselves make the whole thing worth reading. But man if that wasn't way too long and detailed - I definitely just skimmed that timeline.

edit: they seem to have dropped the comments from that article since it's likely getting a massive bandwidth pounding. Here were a few I enjoyed:

"More like NoSuch Dame, amirite?"

"Finally, a reason to hate Notre Dame!"

"She was registered at Stanford under her real name, Lennay Marie Wochinski. Lennay Marie Kekua was her professional name."

"On the plus side, a member of the Tuiasosopo family finally found his mark."

"So, she was a metaphor for the Irish's title chances all along?"

"Who knew Manti liked the real Man-Tie? He should do well in powder-blue Lions gear."

"This is all just a huge misunderstanding. She was Canadian."

"Hey, it's Hawaii. If they can fake a President's birth certificate they could surely fake a girlfriend for Hawaii's golden son."

Anyway, good on Deadspin for the digital sleuthing that led to the actual person in the pictures. I haven't seen a reverse-image search that difficult or important since the TPDG affair (what was her name? Jenny?).

Edited by MentalDisabldLst, 16 January 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#23 Dan to Theo to Ben

• 3980 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

The should move the draft to March 29-31, have a team conspire with the NFL to draft MT in round one, and then the monday after (April 1st), tell MT he wasn't in fact drafted.

#24 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5824 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Sooooooo, he's the victim? I'm so comfused

My guess is he's trying to pull the "I got catfished, I didn't know I was being scammed, I was really in love!" card.

The evidence kind of points to the contrary, though.

#25 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13834 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Who stays in a "relationship" with someone they have never met? That's probably just as odd as someone pulling a prank, and then pulling the plug on the prank.

#26 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Manti is obviously either complicit in this situation, or he is the dumbest box of rocks to every spend 4 years in South Bend. And honestly I think both.

Good freaking Lord, the ND people can't believe we are that stupid can they?

Maybe Poor Manti will receive such a wave of sympathy that they will award him a Nobel Peace Prize. Probably more deserving than some

#27 rodderick

• 2698 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Who stays in a "relationship" with someone they have never met? That's probably just as odd as someone pulling a prank, and then pulling the plug on the prank.

That's bullshit. He was in on it from the beginning. The dude is a star linebacker for Notre Dame, do you really believe he'd have an online relationship with some chick for years without ever actually even getting a chance to meet her in person? From reading the story, it's pretty obvious Te'o and Tuiasosopo made the whole thing up in order for Manti to have a tragic background that made him into an even stronger, more faithful and admirable figure in the eyes of the general public. I expect teams to ask him about it at the combine, and I'm pretty sure most will be skeptical of the explanation Notre Dame offered. This could end up impacting his draft stock.

Edited by rodderick, 16 January 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#28 Hextall

• 176 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Manti talking about the service for his girlfriend:

"Q. How hard was it being focused on football but knowing that there is a bigger picture
Manti Te'o: Yeah, it was definitely hard. That has to be the hardest thing that I've had to do so far; to be able to operate, and to be able to try to continue with my daily routine, but knowing that I just lost two women that I truly loved. That was the hardest thing. And the other hardest thing was my girlfriend's service was the day of Michigan's game. And I remember when I found out I knew when they were going to close the casket and all that stuff, and it was during walk thru. And I remember I asked Coach Diaco, "Coach, what time is it?" And he said, "It's 12:01." And that would be 9:00, 9:01, California time and 9:00 is when they closed the casket for my girlfriend, so I had a moment then. But I've never felt so strong; especially strong, and I never I could never thank the student body and the fans around the world for their all love and all their prayers and support. I truly felt all of that and it's helped me to get through these past three weeks and I'm truly grateful and I'm truly humbled, and I said I can't thank them enough."

http://www.und.com/s.../100412aaa.html

#29 Marciano490

• Urological Expert

• 7699 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

My guess is he's trying to pull the "I got catfished, I didn't know I was being scammed, I was really in love!" card.

The evidence kind of points to the contrary, though.

But the article says they claim to have met in Palo Alto. The only way Manti can pull the victim card is if he comes out and says the relationship was entirely online and he concocted the 'meet' story to hide the fact that their entire relationship was digital.

#30 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27855 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I bet he didn't have a grandmother either.

#31 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11719 posts

whew ...

the sound above is a collective sign of relief from the Heisman Committee ... you never feel more alive than when a bullet whizzes past your head

#32 Red Averages

• owes you $50

• 2261 posts

The only way this ends well for him is if he is in fact the first gay professional athlete in the NFL.

#33 rodderick

• 2698 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

But the article says they claim to have met in Palo Alto. The only way Manti can pull the victim card is if he comes out and says the relationship was entirely online and he concocted the 'meet' story to hide the fact that their entire relationship was digital.

Yeah, I also forgot about the "their stares got pleasantly tangled" part. There's no way he can twist this whole story around to make it seem as if he was scammed. As if his horrendous showing against Alabama wasn't enough to impact his draft stock...

#34 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5190 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Notre Dame released a statement:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

They can't be this dumb. The kid has demonstrably lied about some aspects of the story already. You're going to cast your lot with him? Bad idea.

#35 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Notre Dame released a statement:

They can't be this dumb. The kid has demonstrably lied about some aspects of the story already. You're going to cast your lot with him? Bad idea.

Honestly I think they are at the point they are just desperately hoping that someone in the SID department wasn't involved in the whole con.

#36 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16366 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

That's possible, but why did he push it to the point of letting it become a national story? Having a fake girlfriend is one thing, telling reporters that she got into a car wreck or got leukemia and you "talk" to her on the phone for 8 hours a night is another thing entirely.

Fuck knows, but it's really the only explanation that doesn't portray him as a lunatic (well, it does, but in a different and altogether more sympathetic way).

#37 ForceAtHome

• 3993 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

"She was registered at Stanford under her real name, Lennay Marie Wochinski. Lennay Marie Kekua was her professional name."

:bravo:

#38 rodderick

• 2698 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

https://twitter.com/LennayKay

Okay so his dead girlfriend tweeted him from beyond the grave today.

#39 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13421 posts

That's bullshit. He was in on it from the beginning. The dude is a star linebacker for Notre Dame, do you really believe he'd have an online relationship with some chick for years without ever actually even getting a chance to meet her in person? From reading the story, it's pretty obvious Te'o and Tuiasosopo made the whole thing up in order for Manti to have a tragic background that made him into an even stronger, more faithful and admirable figure in the eyes of the general public. I expect teams to ask him about it at the combine, and I'm pretty sure most will be skeptical of the explanation Notre Dame offered. This could end up impacting his draft stock.

That's one of only two possibilities, the other (as Red Averages alludes to) that he's gay, either with or without a relationship with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.

#40 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

But it wasn't according to his brother:

"'They started out as just friends,' Brian Te'o said. 'Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.'"

What dreams may come

(Thanks Owen for the link.)

#41 Dan to Theo to Ben

• 3980 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I suddenly have the urge to add Catfish to my Netflix queue

Edited by Dan to Theo to Ben, 16 January 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#42 hunter05

• 4774 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

https://twitter.com/LennayKay

Okay so his dead girlfriend tweeted him from beyond the grave today.

Someone hacked it I'm sure.

#43 rodderick

• 2698 posts

I think that for the first time, an athlete coming out and saying "yeah guys, I'm gay" might be the best thing for his career.

#44 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

The South Bend Tribune article is full of smoking guns that implicate Te'o:

http://articles.sout...rish-head-coach

There's the meeting in Palo Alto story, but also:

The plan was for Kekua to spend extensive time with the whole Te'o family when upwards of 40 of them came to South Bend in mid-November for ND's Senior Day date with Wake Forest.

"They started out as just friends," Brian Te'o said. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

He was leaving the house to meet someone who didn't actually exist?

She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them.

She was gifted in music and showed him over Twitter and the phone?

He had to know.

#45 rodderick

• 2698 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well, it sure as hell isn't his dead nonexistent girlfriend who wrote it!

Edited by rodderick, 16 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#46 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 9132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Any thoughts to what MSMK stands for?

#47 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Wouldn't have to. The first account's handle was changed from @LennayKay in 2012, so that handle would have been available.

#48 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the Championship game. He was just hugging his imaginary girlfriend. <rimshot>

#49 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11122 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

We're doing this story on World News tonight. Insane.

#50 rodderick

• 2698 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Wouldn't have to. The first account's handle was changed from @LennayKay in 2012, so that handle would have been available.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Still, pretty funny that someone thought of doing it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users