Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Wild Card Weekend Game Thread

• Please log in to reply
3446 replies to this topic

#1 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,691 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

One of the best weekends of the year. The lineup begins in 24 hours.

Posted Image

Schedule (times EST):

Sat 4:30pm, NBC: Cincinnati (6) at Houston (3)
Sat 8:00pm, NBC: Minnesota (6) at Green Bay (3)
Sun 1:00pm, CBS: Indianapolis (5) at Baltimore (4)
Sun 4:30pm, FOX: Seattle (5) at Washington (4)

#2 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Vonta Leach's status still appears to be up in the air - that'd be a big loss for BAL.

#3 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5,131 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Vonta Leach's status still appears to be up in the air - that'd be a big loss for BAL.

Yes it would. Who has the best shot of beating Denver in Denver of Cin, Bal or Ind?

None of those are good options. Cin would be my best guess as they play consistently whether they are at home or on the road. They also have a defense, and in particular a front seven, that will give Manning fits.

#4 Hendu for Kutch

• 3,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I like that with Cincy/Houston first, I'll know who to root for in the 2nd game. I don't think either Baltimore or Indy gives Denver much of a game, so I'll be rooting for Cincy to at least pose some sort of challenge to them.

#5 MarcSullivaFan

• 1,961 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

The Bengals have a good pass rush, which gives them a puncher's chance. I think they're going to beat Houston today.

Just saw that the wind chill for the GB/MIN game is going to be 11. Good times!

#6 EdRalphRomero

• wooderson

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I keep talking my self in circles from a Pat's fans perspective as to who I want to win -- in particular the Cin/Hou game. I think Houston is probably the best possible opponent for the Pats, but I agree with Hendu that Cincinnati seems a good shot to knock off Denver. I think I will be rooting for the Colts either way, as I will just feel better if the Ravens are out of the playoffs.

#7 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,757 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I keep talking my self in circles from a Pat's fans perspective as to who I want to win -- in particular the Cin/Hou game. I think Houston is probably the best possible opponent for the Pats, but I agree with Hendu that Cincinnati seems a good shot to knock off Denver. I think I will be rooting for the Colts either way, as I will just feel better if the Ravens are out of the playoffs.

Cincy hard. It has a better chance of winning in Denver, IMO, than either Baltimore or Indy, and I don't want the Pats to visit Denver if it can be avoided.

This weekend and next really are the best of the year.

Edited by dcmissle, 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#8 ObstructedView

• 582 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'm not sure I agree with the theory that Cincy has a great shot against Denver. The Broncos beat them in Cincy a few weeks ago, and to me it's asking a lot to expect that they'll make two long trips west and win both times in hostile environments -- one in a pseudo-dome, the other at altitude against a rested Denver team. Seems like the Bengals are the hot/trendy/"dangerous" team du jour (at least in the AFC; Seattle obviously has that title in the NFC), while Houston's stock has plummeted so steeply that it seems to be undervalued.

Edited by ObstructedView, 05 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#9 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,208 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm not sure I agree with the theory that Cincy has a great shot against Denver. The Broncos beat them in Cincy a few weeks ago, and to me it's asking a lot to expect that they'll make two long trips west and win both times in hostile environments --

Is Cincy to Houston really a long flight west?

Houston on fumes...and I read at FO that Cincy's DVOA against the pass is #1 in the NFL the last 2 months.

#10 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Agree on the Cinncy thing. Andy Dalton is shaky and on the road I can't imagine this will improve. That said, Flacco isn't going to cause Denver to soil their undies but at least Flacco has a lot of big game experience. I think Houston takes Cinncy down, in fact. Many have given up on Houston, which I think means they will snap back hard today.

#11 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17,318 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Got all my shit done this morning so I can watch football.

#12 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,208 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Agree on the Cinncy thing. Andy Dalton is shaky and on the road I can't imagine this will improve.

Eh, his road QB rating is 83.2 and he completes exactly the same percentage of passes on the road as at home and for a higher YPA. He did throw 4 more picks on the road, but 3 of those were in 1 game (against Cleveland).

#13 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,208 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Got all my shit done this morning so I can watch football.

Yep. Going out to grab some wings in a few hours, then hitting the couch...

#14 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Drinking has commenced.

#15 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Pulled all the Christmas shit down and stored. Tree is gone, house is clean. Headed to the grocery store for snacks soon. I've instructed my girl that it's football from 2:30 until 10:00 (my time). Fortunately, she is very good about leaving me alone during football days.

#16 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,610 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Pulled all the Christmas shit down and stored. Tree is gone, house is clean. Headed to the grocery store for snacks soon. I've instructed my girl that it's football from 2:30 until 10:00 (my time). Fortunately, she is very good about leaving me alone during football days.

My girl gets my beer and food for me during football days. Better put a ring on it....haha.

#17 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

My girl gets my beer and food for me during football days. Better put a ring on it....haha.

She just went to the store to buy snacks/beer for the games. This works for me.

#18 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I couldn't wait, just plugged 15 suicidal wings from Atomic Wings and a side order of onion rings. I just couldn't wait until 4pm. Now I'm watching Fringe until it's time to get to work watching the pregame. I am having difficulty waiting but it'll get here eventually.

#19 normstalls

• 1,980 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I admittedly don't watch Cincinnati too much, but when I do it sure seems like Marvin Lewis is a bad coach.
I say Houston wins by 7+ today.

#20 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I admittedly don't watch Cincinnati too much, but when I do it sure seems like Marvin Lewis is a bad coach.
I say Houston wins by 7+ today.

CIncy hasn't allowed a 100 yard receiving game this season. I think Cincy bracket's Johnson while their D-line shuts down Foster. Cincy by 3.

#21 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,637 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

CIncy hasn't allowed a 100 yard receiving game this season.

Wow, that's nuts.

#22 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Agree on the Cinncy thing. Andy Dalton is shaky and on the road I can't imagine this will improve. That said, Flacco isn't going to cause Denver to soil their undies but at least Flacco has a lot of big game experience. I think Houston takes Cinncy down, in fact. Many have given up on Houston, which I think means they will snap back hard today.

I guess. Where's that been the last month, then? People gave up on them after the Pats loss.

I think they're just not the same team. Their running game has quietly regressed, and their defense is not that good. Nobody but Watt gets pressure on the QB and they're relying on street FAs at LB.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 05 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#23 snowmanny

• 2,562 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think Indy is the worst team in the playoffs and I'd prefer them returning to
Foxboro. Rooting that way.

#24 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Wow, that's nuts.

Yeah, I just read that and thought there was a good chance it was wrong. So, I looked it up and sure enough it's correct.

Is Cincy's D severely underrated?

#25 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Marvin Lewis with a funny about J.J. Watt:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis got creative this week when asked how he planned to stop Watt.
“I wrote a letter to the commissioner to petition for 13 (offensive players),” Lewis joked. “I figure if we put a guy on each side of him and a guy in front of him, we’ve got a good opportunity.”

Lewis

#26 Oppo

• 375 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Kurt Warner just said the Ravens defense has been at its best the last couple weeks. Wut?

#27 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Kurt Warner just said the Ravens defense has been at its best the last couple weeks. Wut?

The Giants game must be very fresh in his mind. Because, otherwise, the D hasn't done much in the past month and a half.

#28 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Early sign of dementia. Actually, Warner's pretty good as long as his wife is nowhere to be seen or heard.

#29 Rudy's Curve

• 1,130 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'd be feeling a lot better about today's game if Chris Crocker was healthy but he tweaked his hamstring last week, so Nate Clements will be playing safety. I thought Clements would make a pretty good transition from corner but age has rapidly caught up with him this year. That being said, the Bengals are in much better position than they were a year ago. Run-stuffing DT Pat Sims and top CB Leon Hall were out last year and they're playing arguably better defense than anyone. It would be a huge organizational step forward if they can win this one.

#30 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,134 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Just because we're going to miss them this week

#31 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,556 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Rooting hard for Cincy. They are the best bet (though still a long shot) to upset Denver next week.

Also, the Texans are easily the most talented of the bottom four teams, so I'd rather have the BAL-IND winner visit Foxboro. I think people here are putting too much stock in the MNF game -- if Houston wins, they'll have their confidence back and will be a formidable opponent in the divisional round.

Agree this is one of the best sports weekends of the year. Just opened a bottle of Jameson 12 y.o. in honor of the occasion.

#32 CoffeeNerdness

• 429 posts

Official NBC stream here>

http://snfallaccess....s.com/schedule/

#33 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9,490 posts

Adrian Peterson sounds a little like Mike Tyson.

#34 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I thought I heard one of the announcers in Houston say J.J. Watt is underrated. Then I saw Peter King, in NY, on my TV. I've changed the channel.

#35 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

So the Vikings are apparently considering going with Joe Webb tonight.

Did I miss Ponder getting hurt?

#36 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I thought I heard one of the announcers in Houston say J.J. Watt is underrated. Then I saw Peter King, in NY, on my TV. I've changed the channel.

Bob Costas is there too, and Hines Ward. They make Rodney sound like a star. I'm OK with Dungy now too, but Rodney is one of the best now.

#37 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Elbow, and I heard Webb had half the reps this week.

#38 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Bob Costas is there too, and Hines Ward. They make Rodney sound like a star. I'm OK with Dungy now too, but Rodney is one of the best now.

I would think they want people to watch the pregame. God, it's awful.

#39 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I would think they want people to watch the pregame. God, it's awful.

Just do stuff on JJ, like now.

#40 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Minny should stick Webb in there and run some option.

#41 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5,970 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I hope JJ Watt is playing his last 60 minutes of football this year.

#42 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 9,199 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

At the risk of threadcest, I'd love to see what Chip Kelly could do with Joe Webb, who is a ridiculous athlete.

#43 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

At the risk of threadcest, I'd love to see what Chip Kelly could do with Joe Webb, who is a ridiculous athlete.

This is the first time I have seen that used to describe Webb. Can you elaborate?

#44 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,556 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I hope JJ Watt is playing his last 60 minutes of football this year.

Me too.

It sounds silly to call the likely DPoY "underrated," but you can make a case that he is -- he's as dominant at his position as Adrian Peterson is at his, but hasn't received half the attention.

#45 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 9,199 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

This is the first time I have seen that used to describe Webb. Can you elaborate?

He's huge, both quick and fast, and has a massive arm. He's not far off Cam Newton or RGIII as a pure athlete. Can he succeed as an
NFL QB? I don't know but he has impressed in spurts and a Chip Kelly offense probably gives him the best shot.

#46 Dan to Theo to Ben

• 4,861 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I see Dan Hicks. Where are Rowdy Gaines and Michael Phelps?

#47 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Me too.

It sounds silly to call the likely DPoY "underrated," but you can make a case that he is -- he's as dominant at his position as Adrian Peterson is at his, but hasn't received half the attention.

I think my definition of underrating a player is different from yours. Every coach is asked how they will stop JJ Watt from being JJ Watt. Every coach is not asked why writers don't write about him.

#48 Turrable

• 2,224 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

NBC should have sent doc to do this game.

#49 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Went to a Texans message board for the halibut, saw a post there you'll never see here: "No matter the outcome today, 12-4 this season." Nobody jumped on him either.

#50 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

4:30 kickoff? NEIN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users