Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Andy Reid to Kansas City

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,867 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Should we also post hirings here?

https://twitter.com/...211348797460480

I am reporting the Cardinals are very close to a deal with Andy Reid to become the team's next head coach. #AZCardinals #Eagles #NFL

Edited by Sille Skrub, 04 January 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#2 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,186 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

https://twitter.com/...211348797460480

I am reporting the Cardinals are very close to a deal with Andy Reid to become the team's next head coach. #AZCardinals #Eagles #NFL

Andy is undoubtedly a very good man and a pretty good coach, but thank the guy above that my two teams have (same guy willing) no coaching worries for some years ahead. That's the Patriots (100% like) and the 49ers (20% like) and I know that exceeds 100%.

#3 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

https://twitter.com/timring3TV/status/286211348797460480
link to tweet
link to tweet

Until it's official, sure. And quoting the tweet would have saved me a couple re-reads where I thought *you* were reporting something...quote tags keep stupid people like me from having to tax our brains.

As for the news...that's a good hire. Unless it means more of the Kevin Kolb Experience. Then it's very, very bad. Like Larry Fitzgerald retiring bad. Kolb is terrible.

#4 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,867 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

How do you quote in Tapatalk? (not quoting a poster)

#5 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 9,231 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Until it's official, sure. And quoting the tweet would have saved me a couple re-reads where I thought *you* were reporting something...quote tags keep stupid people like me from having to tax our brains.

As for the news...that's a good hire. Unless it means more of the Kevin Kolb Experience. Then it's very, very bad. Like Larry Fitzgerald retiring bad. Kolb is terrible.

Part of the logic of hiring Reid, rightly or wrongly, has to be that he's the guy most likely to fix Kolb.

Kolb was not actually playing that badly this year before getting hurt and they really have no other options. I would be shocked if we don't see more of the Kevin Kolb Experience and I'm not sure that's a bad thing for Arizona given the alternatives.

#6 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,817 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

How do you quote in Tapatalk? (not quoting a poster)

You can just right the [ quote] [ /quote] tags in directly (without the spaces). Also, listing the name of the tweeter would be cool too.

#7 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Part of the logic of hiring Reid, rightly or wrongly, has to be that he's the guy most likely to fix Kolb.

Kolb was not actually playing that badly this year before getting hurt and they really have no other options. I would be shocked if we don't see more of the Kevin Kolb Experience and I'm not sure that's a bad thing for Arizona given the alternatives.

They have the free agent market and a top 10 pick. Aside from OL, what's their biggest team need?

I have to think Fitzgerald would be overjoyed if Arizona management let him personally take Skelton, Lindley & Kolb out behind the practice facility to shoot them in the nuts.

#8 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,695 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

They have the free agent market and a top 10 pick. Aside from OL, what's their biggest team need?

I have to think Fitzgerald would be overjoyed if Arizona management let him personally take Skelton, Lindley & Kolb out behind the practice facility to shoot them in the nuts.

Brian Hoyer rejoices.

#9 QUNate

• 722 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Andy Reid will likely be named the new head coach in Arizona, per Schefter.

#10 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,423 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Arizona slaps the Rooney rule right in the face. They get Ray Horton in for the fake interview.

#11 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 9,231 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

But who are they going to get? Sign Alex Smith? Draft Tyler Wilson? Those are pretty crappy and costly alternatives.

They are better off drafting a LT like Luke Jockel and seeing if Reid can fix Kolb.

#12 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,506 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

You can just right the [ quote] [ /quote] tags in directly (without the spaces). Also, listing the name of the tweeter would be cool too.

You can save time too on the iPhone by making the quote format a shortcut in auto text. Can find it under Settings>General>Keyboard.

#13 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,506 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Andy Reid will likely be named the new head coach in Arizona, per Schefter.

How is this not tampering, btw? Are we really supposed to believe that AZ never talked to Reid until yesterday?

#14 Gunfighter 09

• wants to be caribou ken

• 4,337 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Arizona slaps the Rooney rule right in the face. They get Ray Horton in for the fake interview.

I am sure Horton is playing along in this situation. He didn't get canned with the Wisenhunt housecleaning, I wonder if the "interview" was really a contract re-negotionation / contingency if Reid didnt take the job.

#15 Ferm Sheller

• 4,542 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

How is this not tampering, btw? Are we really supposed to believe that AZ never talked to Reid until yesterday?

Even though Reid was going to be fired by the Eagles (and therefore they are unaffected by any such tampering), any tampering with Reid by Arizona would be unfair to any would be suitors who chose to play by the rules. I'm with you. Tough to prove, but there may have been some tampering here.

Edited by Ferm Sheller, 01 January 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#16 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,832 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Would not be surprised if this was in the works for a week or more. Lurie said he decided 4 weeks ago that Reid would not return. The tampering rules by and large are mere inconveniences for these guys.

Man, Andy really is addicted to the action. Seems to me there were potentially better landing spots for him, Chicago for one.

#17 Gunfighter 09

• wants to be caribou ken

• 4,337 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Would not be surprised if this was in the works for a week or more. Lurie said he decided 4 weeks ago that Reid would not return. The tampering rules by and large are mere inconveniences for these guys.

Man, Andy really is addicted to the action. Seems to me there were potentially better landing spots for him, Chicago for one.

Andy was at his best when he could just give Jim Johnson the keys to the defense and concentrate on the offense. Arizona has a young and talented young defense with a highly touted coordinator in Horton, so this might be the best situation for him. Perhaps the autonomy that Reid offers a D coordinator is the reason Horton stuck around, he had other options.

http://www.nfl.com/n...-for-ray-horton

Edited by Gunfighter 09, 01 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#18 Plantiers Wart

• 2,677 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Reid to be named Cards coach. That didn't take long....

http://sports.yahoo....08950--nfl.html

Edited by Plantiers Wart, 01 January 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#19 bosox4283

• 2,568 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I really don't get it. The Eagles are 12-20 in the last two seasons. And the Eagles were loaded with talent the last two years and couldn't produce.

I'm not too sure why Reid wants to coach, anyways. After the year he has had, why doesn't he just walk away from the game, spend time with his family, and relax?

#20 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,676 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

A pretty reasonable hire. I'd have gone after Chip Kelly, but I can respect not wanting to get into a bidding war over someone like that.

#21 Buckner's Boots

• 1,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

"Reid has several reasons for his interest in the job. His wife, Tammy, is from the Phoenix area. He would also be reunited with quarterback Kevin Kolb, whom he drafted and coached in Philadelphia."

You'd think being reunited with Kevin Kolb would rank higher on the list of attractions... :blink:

#22 TheWalthamKid

• Pip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Sounds like Reid is going on vacation to Arizona for some R & R. The guy got destroyed by the fans in Philly, and I initially thought that he would take a year or two off. It goes to show how much the guy likes football and how he can't imagine not being inside the game.

I don't think the key point in the hiring of Reid is that Kevin Kolb can be fixed by Reid. Kolb played really well in a few games for Philly when expectations were low. Coming into Arizona, getting a huge contract and being pegged as "the guy" is totally different. Maybe Kolb just isn't that good. If they brought Reid in as a hope of magically fixing Kolb, then they are making the same mistake twice.

#23 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,676 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Were the Eagles all that loaded? They didn't have much going on at QB, and made a huge cap outlay to CB for some reason. I know they had a dream team moniker, but there was no basis for that as near as I can tell.

#24 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,016 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

He's inheriting a decent defense with some beasts (Washington, Campbell, Peterson) and probably thinks he can make Kolb a functional QB. Sounds like a textbook "change of scenery," both personally and professionally.

#25 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I really don't get it. The Eagles are 12-20 in the last two seasons. And the Eagles were loaded with talent the last two years and couldn't produce.

Ehh...some "experts" thing they were loaded.

I'm not too sure why Reid wants to coach, anyways. After the year he has had, why doesn't he just walk away from the game, spend time with his family, and relax?

You can't think of a reason a guy that's had a pretty good coaching career, after he gets fired, would possibly want to coach again? In a city that's going to be low pressure with no shitty weather?

Edited by DrewDawg, 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#26 Sille Skrub

• 3,957 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Moved all the AR posts in here.

Thanks for starting a new thread! Love that!

#27 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9,748 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

There were local articles that the GM or somebody high up in AZ has the same agent as Reid. Someone named Bob LaMonte. Apparently LaMonte and a few other agents rep a huge portion of the league's coaches and FO people. I would think it's often a very big conflict of interest, but in a case like this it's an easy way of greasing the wheels for moves that can't be pinned down as tampering.

Hell, I beleive LaMonte reps the Eagles GM Howie Roseman too. So while the Eagles go through the motions the last month Roseman tells LaMonte Reid is gone, LaMonte tells all of his clients in other FOs looking for nibbles, the Card guy bites and tells LaMonte that he's interested in Reid. LaMonte discusses in broad terms the possibility of interest in AZ. Reid says he's on board. And boom, 2 days after getting fired he's got a new job all quietly brokered behind the scenes by his agent.

Not sure how it works in other places in MLB, but Lucchino refused to allow Epstein to have an agent at all, right? In the NFL guys like LaMonte are repping coaches, GMs and players. Conflicts of interest all over the place, but nobody cares because it's the NFL I guess.

#28 Sille Skrub

• 3,957 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

This tweet from Mark Dalton is pretty funny:

I'm 99% sure that reports of a deal being 95% done are 100% incorrect #azcards

#29 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,832 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

There were local articles that the GM or somebody high up in AZ has the same agent as Reid. Someone named Bob LaMonte. Apparently LaMonte and a few other agents rep a huge portion of the league's coaches and FO people. I would think it's often a very big conflict of interest, but in a case like this it's an easy way of greasing the wheels for moves that can't be pinned down as tampering.

Hell, I beleive LaMonte reps the Eagles GM Howie Roseman too. So while the Eagles go through the motions the last month Roseman tells LaMonte Reid is gone, LaMonte tells all of his clients in other FOs looking for nibbles, the Card guy bites and tells LaMonte that he's interested in Reid. LaMonte discusses in broad terms the possibility of interest in AZ. Reid says he's on board. And boom, 2 days after getting fired he's got a new job all quietly brokered behind the scenes by his agent.

Not sure how it works in other places in MLB, but Lucchino refused to allow Epstein to have an agent at all, right? In the NFL guys like LaMonte are repping coaches, GMs and players. Conflicts of interest all over the place, but nobody cares because it's the NFL I guess.

Thanks for putting some meat on the bones. Sounds quite plausible.

Look, the tampering rules for these guys were revealed as a joke no later than a few years ago, when Danny Snyder was seen having dinner with Haynerworth's agent, and then a couple of hours into FA Big Al then signed the biggest contract ever given to a defensive player. They don't even try to hide it.

#30 ragnarok725

• 4,065 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Man, my impression of Chicago is totally different. High expectations, old/aging roster especially on defense, and an overrated QB. He'd be expected to win immediately with a team that's really not that good in a really tough division. Sort of like out of the frying pan and into the fire with that kind of move. Arizona has potential and more importantly some low expectations and a bit of a leash...

#31 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,832 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Man, my impression of Chicago is totally different. High expectations, old/aging roster especially on defense, and an overrated QB. He'd be expected to win immediately with a team that's really not that good in a really tough division. Sort of like out of the frying pan and into the fire with that kind of move. Arizona has potential and more importantly some low expectations and a bit of a leash...

Reasonable view. I guess it depends on how you view Kolb v. Cutler. I think Andy sold the League a bill of goods on Kolb, but it appears that Andy may not view it that way.

Also, I think Chicago ownership is more solid and certainly more patient than Ari's.

#32 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,746 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Reasonable view. I guess it depends on how you view Kolb v. Cutler. I think Andy sold the League a bill of goods on Kolb, but it appears that Andy may not view it that way.

Kolb only started 5 games this year. Kolb is mediocre at best, but mediocrity from the QB position is probably a 2-win improvement for the Cardinals over the Skelton / Kolb / Lindley pu pu platter. In Chicago, you need a miracle step forward from Cutler at the age of 30 to get better.

Lovie Smith got fired after a 10-win season; ownership's expectations are double-digit wins, at least. You can't build for 3-4 years from now. In Arizona, you can draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round and let him duke it out with Kolb / whoever. Or you can take a QB high. Or you can work on everything else, ride with Kolb and hope you get average performance, and try to fix QB later (a la Denver and Seattle). In Chicago, it's Cutler or bust, which from my perspective looks like a ticket to getting canned.

#33 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,015 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Kolb started 6 actually. He got hurt in the 6th game.

#34 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,746 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Kolb started 6 actually. He got hurt in the 6th game.

He got hurt in his 6th game, but he came on in relief in his first game. He only started 5. Anyway, 5, 6, it doesn't matter to my overall point. He was hurt most of the year and while he's not good, he's better than the other guys they were throwing out there.

#35 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,832 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Kolb only started 5 games this year. Kolb is mediocre at best, but mediocrity from the QB position is probably a 2-win improvement for the Cardinals over the Skelton / Kolb / Lindley pu pu platter. In Chicago, you need a miracle step forward from Cutler at the age of 30 to get better.

Lovie Smith got fired after a 10-win season; ownership's expectations are double-digit wins, at least. You can't build for 3-4 years from now. In Arizona, you can draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round and let him duke it out with Kolb / whoever. Or you can take a QB high. Or you can work on everything else, ride with Kolb and hope you get average performance, and try to fix QB later (a la Denver and Seattle). In Chicago, it's Cutler or bust, which from my perspective looks like a ticket to getting canned.

But Lovie got what, n-i-n-e years? You know how much rope that is? Enuf so that not 1 person has raised the "R" word after an AA HC gets canned after a 10-win season.

That's pretty rare ownership patience. Good luck finding the likes of it pretty much anyplace else.

#36 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 4,933 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

He lost the camp battle for qb to Skelton for goodness sake, given what they paid him and gave up for him that's hardly a ringing endorsement either.
Reid likes kolb, and he has a history of giving the qbs he trades away a second chance when they bomb elsewhere (eg aj feeley)

I really thought with all his family issues he could have taken a year off but hey his life.
Arizona has a huge problem on offense and it seems fair to say reid's talents lay more in that direction than defence. On defence since jim Johnson died the eagles were a complete horror show, but that's not the area of cardinal concerns. The concerns are they have no qb, no rb, a poor oline I can't think of their te and wr outside Fitzgerald is blah.
That's a lot of problems. By reid's track record he will draft a oline and try to go with kolb, or he'll draft 6 defensive line guys. It's really hard to think he won't improve that putrid pile of shit offense and I'm interested to see how he uses the first super stud wr who sent a head case he's ever coached, it will also be interesting to see if he manages to not fuck up the defence.

Seems like a good move on paper, but I watch the eagles every week and Reid is not the coach he was, the league totally caught up with his pass first policy, he's also seeming always had a good running back (Westbrook, McCoy, staley etc) and he s brutal late and at clock management. There's no way that's changing. As I say defensively he's been in charge of a horror show for years ever since he had to take a larger role.

#37 Darnell's Son

• 4,562 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

To me, the whole ownership patience thing is weird. NFL head coaches should have huge egos and no self-confidence issues. Unless you're going to an ownership group that has zero patience, you should not be worried about this. Andy Reid should think he's one of the best coaches in the business, because he was the longest tenured coach in the NFL until yesterday. Therefore, he gets to look past that crap, and look at roster construction. He's got a QB he drafted, arguably the best WR in football, and a pretty talented defense that comes with it's already seasoned DC. What's not to love for an offensive oriented HC?

#38 nothumb

• 2,600 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Not a bad situation for Reid. Give it a year with Kolb and draft a developmental QB in the 3rd-ish round. Fix the line first and try to develop some skill players on offense in the first year. After year one, you probably have a good idea whether you want to go after a top QB in the draft or keep what you have in-house.

#39 Dehere

• 2,440 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Eagles host the Cardinals next season. That'll be fun.

#40 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,579 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Eagles host the Cardinals next season. That'll be fun.

How so? Two bad teams facing each other? Or all the hugs between Reid and his ex-players?

#41 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,023 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Philly fans booing the shit out of him.

#42 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Per Schefter, he doesn't even interview out there until today.

And they've got McCoy from Denver coming in on Saturday.

#43 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,746 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

But Lovie got what, n-i-n-e years? You know how much rope that is? Enuf so that not 1 person has raised the "R" word after an AA HC gets canned after a 10-win season.

That's pretty rare ownership patience. Good luck finding the likes of it pretty much anyplace else.

Lovie got nine years, but he went 81-63 during those nine years. The Bears were 5-11 in his first year (which is tough to blame on him) and 24 games over .500 after. His last three years were 11-5, 8-8, 10-6. I don't think it's "the R word," but I don't think that's an exceptional amount of rope.

Moreover, even if letting Lovie hang around for 9 years shows patience, firing him after a 10-6 season shows that their patience has been exhausted. If the next coach goes 8-8 or 7-9 in his first couple years, he's not sticking around for 9. With an aging defense and an overrated quarterback, I think that's fairly likely.

#44 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,832 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes, but remember that Chi has a new GM and Lovie was never his guy. The new guy will be, so I expect the rope may lengthen. It may be as simple as, "We have weapons, but you absolutely need to fix this o-line, and BTW, that needs to happen right now because the defense is getting very old."

As for Reid in Ari, I think it's done. The suits in NY are probably telling Ari and Andy to reel it in a bit because this smells.

#45 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

As for Reid in Ari, I think it's done. The suits in NY are probably telling Ari and Andy to reel it in a bit because this smells.

Well, they seem to be putting on quite a show.

Reid to talk to KC before even getting to Arizona: http://espn.go.com/n...rdinals-sources

And per that article, he has yet to even meet with the Cardinals.

Edited by DrewDawg, 02 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#46 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 4,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

So if Reid lands in Zona, does that mean BB already has his eye on how to acquire their 7th round pick?

Was that a Philly thing, or an Andy Reid thing?

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 02 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#47 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,016 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Not a bad situation for Reid. Give it a year with Kolb and draft a developmental QB in the 3rd-ish round. Fix the line first and try to develop some skill players on offense in the first year. After year one, you probably have a good idea whether you want to go after a top QB in the draft or keep what you have in-house.

There's also potential trades with PHI once he's in ARI. There may be guys he can bring with him, especially on offense, as role-players or better-than-replacement parts. It doesn't mean there'll be a blockbuster deal for Maclin or McCoy necessarily, but I could see some veterans coming over that are pro-Reid.

#48 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Not so fast: Reid to interview with KC, possibly before he even interviews with Arizona.

#49 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Not so fast: Reid to interview with KC, possibly before he even interviews with Arizona.

Interesting. http://sonsofsamhorn...ost__p__4484091

#50 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Whoops, hadn't refreshed the page in 30 mins. Got Corsi'd. Serves me right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users