Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Southern CT Comcast Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10,510 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

My parents have comcast at their house. They have two non HD tvs, and two corresponding cable boxes that do not appear to be DVRs. They would like at least one DVR, It is impossible for me to figure out what they need by looking through the comcast website, because it insists that i log in with their information and i would prefer to surprise them.

I have been through the forums and it seems that you need to get a cable card (which you have to rent for 1.50 or more a month) or a special comcast TiVO and it is unclear if you have to buy the TiVO service or not, for anywhere between 8.00 and 17.50 per month.

When my step father called to ask about getting a DVR he was quoted as having to spend an addition $25 A MONTH!

i know comcast is evil, but i figure someone in the CT river valley area must have comcast and know how much it costs to get a DVR. They are currently paying about $150/month for expanded basic, internet and phone.

#2 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,420 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Per this page, you can simply enter their address to get the cost: http://customer.comc...81-cost-of-dvr/

#3 RedSoxFan

• 3,678 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

If they don't have HD then they will incur an HD fee of $9.95 and a DVR charge of $7.00, so it would be $16.95 per month to upgrade one of their boxes to DVR. The HD fee is required to have DVR whether they have HDTVs or not.

#4 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10,510 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

That seems like highway robbery. I think we pay a total of $7.00 per HD cable box and that's it.
no HD Fees (Verizon FiOS)

and it seems i can't even just get them a TiVO because then you need to rent a cable card or something?

#5 Pedros Midget

• 1,018 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I live on the shoreline east of New Haven and I pay roughly $155.00 to Comcast per month for 2 HD boxes, one for the family room t.v (big one that I watch) and one for the bedroom where my wife likes to chill and watch Homeland. Additionally, we have a regular non-HD box for the kids on a third t.v. All come with with HBO expanded basic, but only one box has a DVR (bedroom).

Not sure about the Tivo stuff, I've always just had expanded basic cable with a DVR. Yes, Comcast is evil. I've never understood why the FCC still allows what is the equivalent of a monopoly on cable to each provider in certain areas.

#6 weeba

• 1,487 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Assuming Comcast is the same as RCN, the Tivo box will count as a DVR (and have a monthly fee), but you won't need to have another separate Tivo monthly fee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users