Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

SoSH NFL Awards

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: SoSH NFL awards (218 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the NFL MVP?

1. Tom Brady (30 votes [13.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.76%

2. Peyton Manning (39 votes [17.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

3. Adrian Peterson (144 votes [66.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.06%

4. J.J. Watt (4 votes [1.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

5. Aaron Rogers (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.46%

Rookie of the Year

1. Andrew Luck (42 votes [19.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.27%

2. RGIII (141 votes [64.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.68%

3. Russell Wilson (28 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

4. Doug Martin (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.46%

5. Alfred Morris (6 votes [2.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 dbn

• 3,280 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

All of the "good" player only succeed because of their systems. Sanchez played in a terrible offensive system surrounded by little talent. He should be MVP.

#52 Myt1

• thinks tim thomas is a dick-fil-a

• 19,542 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

For Rookie of the Year, I can see an argument for Wilson over Griffin, or even Morris over Griffin.

But if someone says definitively that Luck was better than all 3 of them, I just recognize that you watch football differently than I do, and I can't comprehend what you're actually seeing on the field.

Through one's own digestive tract?

#53 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,618 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Andrew luck was 1 interception away from leading the NFL in picks this year. He threw as many interceptions as Mark Sanchez did. And he didn't even have the decency to get 40 touchdown passes in the process (a la Drew Brees). You Luck voters are nuts.

Edited by bowiac, 31 December 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#54 dbn

• 3,280 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I suspect Luck will win ROY, but he really shouldn't. People will give too much weight to the +9 win improvement. I mean, should Attack of the Clones have won Best Picture in 2002, or Malenkov person of the century? Compare the Colts' 2011 QB stats to Luck's 2013:

2012/Luck
PCT: 54.1/56.6
INT%: 2.6/2.9
Sacks: 35/41
Rate: 72.2/76.4

To his credit, Luck did throw for a lot more yards.

#55 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21,465 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Andrew luck was 1 interception away from leading the NFL in picks this year. He threw as many interceptions as Mark Sanchez did. And he didn't even have the decency to get 40 touchdown passes in the process (a la Drew Brees). You Luck voters are nuts.

Who cares. The team with the best stats doesn't always win. Some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time have had high INT rates compared with some of the others, especially in their rookie or first few years. Elway, Moon, Aikman, Manning. Some guys don't care, and will throw their fourth INT in a game if they have a chance to make a big play and get a win (unlike Romo last night). The most important stat is still wins, and Luck has gotten 11 of those. This has nothing to do with ROY voting, but RGIII may be another Michael Vick. Don't get excited, I mean WRT staying healthy. I'll take a strapping QB like Luck every time, who also happens to be fast and quick, over a smaller QB that relies on his running a lot. Still, Griffin missing one game and being 50 - 70% for the next has to detract some voters for the award.

#56 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,618 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Ok, but we're talking about the Rookie of the Year award. Unless we're giving this out based on who we think is going to be better in 2017, I don't see the relevance of any of that.

As you said, this has nothing to do with ROY voting. That's why we care about the boatload of picks Luck threw. Cause continually giving the ball to the other team probably doesn't help your team win all that much this year, even if it's a correctable error.

#57 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,132 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Through one's own digestive tract?

I'm showing respect for all opinions (as to show tolerance). But yes, I assume they watch football through their own asses.

#58 shoosh77

• 668 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

FO says Brady best QB, Wilson best rookie QB:

http://insider.espn....-best-worst-qbs

#59 Helmet Head

• 1,215 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

FO says Brady best QB, Wilson best rookie QB:

http://insider.espn....-best-worst-qbs

Shhhh!

Whisper Campaign

#60 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,047 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Without Griffin and the Shanahans, there is no Morris, who is a great story but was drafted where he was for a reason. System RB.

But you wouldn't hold his draft position against him would you?

Shanahan has s great system, but just watching Morris--the dude is pretty good.

#61 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,539 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

But you wouldn't hold his draft position against him would you?

Shanahan has s great system, but just watching Morris--the dude is pretty good.

No, but as you note, Shanahan has been spectacularly successful with late-round backs and much of the success of his scheme lies up front. It has taken the o-line a couple of years to jell. Now add RGIII, the spread option and you have tons of help for the RB.

#62 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5,111 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

It's a close call between RG3 and Russell Wilson for me. I think RG3's game is not truly reflected in his impressive statistics. He opens things up for Alfred Morris. Their play-actions are amazing and opens things up down the field for his WR's. It's no coincidence he has a high Y/A. Wilson has better raw numbers in terms of traditional stats and a slightly higher DYAR and DVOA%. But I don't think Wilson is as dynamic as a player as RG3. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to have a guy like Wilson as the QB for my team but when two players are pretty close I look for what else they bring to the table. They are both hard working, respected by their teammates and leaders. RG3 gets the nod because I think he does more for the offense in general than Wilson.

Alfred Morris had a sensational year. Andrew Luck actually has a negative DVOA%... but his raw numbers, except for INT's are impressive.

#63 Maurice09

• 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

The Colts were 22nd in the league in rushing this year. Maybe the right system and / or coordinator makes Ballard or Brown into a Morris but that didn't happen. Indy had no threat at RB all season and every defense knew it. The Redskins system and the fact that Morris was a beast helped RGIII immensely. Because of this, Luck gets my vote.

#64 mwonow

• 1,551 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

The Colts were 22nd in the league in rushing this year. Maybe the right system and / or coordinator makes Ballard or Brown into a Morris but that didn't happen. Indy had no threat at RB all season and every defense knew it. The Redskins system and the fact that Morris was a beast helped RGIII immensely. Because of this, Luck gets my vote.

Chicken, meet egg. Egg, chicken...

One of the things that (obviously) helped Morris was RGIII's ability to throw and to run - you couldn't key on him.

Luck had his own late-round RB - Vick Ballard, who scared exactly no one.

Really, the positions in favour of Luck - or anyone except RGIII - are kind of hard to see. If you watched the games, and paid attention to how the teams fared against stiff competition...well, Luck was good, Wilson maybe moreso, and Morris was good too, but there's very little doubt that RGIII is ROY.

#65 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

One thing that goes in Manning's favor over Brady is that, among QBs who passed for 4000 yards, his yardage has the third lowest YAC %, while Brady has the second highest among QBs with 4000yds. Manning's AirYPA is 4.6, Brady is 4.0. In short, Brady throws shorter passes, which his receivers run for more yards as compared to Manning. http://wp.advancednf...rYardsStats.php

While this is partly a construct of their differing offenses (the Pats throw more screens and slants), and QB's do influence YAC, It looks like Manning has a bigger influence on his passed #s than Brady

Edited by Infield Infidel, 02 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#66 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,229 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

RT @willbrinson: Adrian Peterson wins the 2012 NFL MVP Award. #NFLHonors

#67 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 5,752 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

I really hope that's accurate. What AD did this year was friggin amazing.

#68 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21,465 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

RT @willbrinson: Adrian Peterson wins the 2012 NFL MVP Award. #NFLHonors

Fantastic. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users