Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

"Francona: The Red Sox Years" (Due Jan. 22, 2013)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic

#1 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6268 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Terry Francona's book, written with Dan Shaughnessy, will be published on January 22, 2013. 368 pages.

Posted Image

Book Description:

From famed manager Terry Francona, a lively, unvarnished narrative of his tenure with the storied Boston Red Sox

From 2004 to 2011, Terry Francona managed the Boston Red Sox, the most talked about, scrutinized team in all of sports. In Francona the legendary manager opens up for the first time about his eight years there, as they went from cursed franchise to one of the most successful and profitable in baseball history. He takes readers inside the rarefied world of a 21st-century clubhouse, from 2004 when they won their first championship in 86 years, through another win in 2007, to the controversial September collapse just four years later. He recounts the tightrope walk of managing personalities like Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez, working with Theo Epstein and his statistics-driven executives, balancing their data with the emotions of a 25-man roster, and meeting the expectations of three owners with often wildly differing opinions. Along the way readers are treated with back-slapping, never-before-told stories about their favorite players, moments, losses, and wins.

Those eight years were a wild, unforgettable ride, and now the fascinating full story can be told in a book that examines like no other the art of managing in today’s game.

#2 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13812 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Jan. 22nd? Not for Christmas, Opening Day, Father's Day, or even World Series time? I guess I don't get the publishing business.

#3 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5995 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Pre-ordered the kindle edition using the SoSH Amazon link above.

BTW I don't care who co-wrote it with him.

#4 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5497 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Preordered as well.

Very disappointed that I'll be helping CHB make a dime but I'll learn to live with that.

#5 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 12421 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Gotta remember to pick this up when it comes out.

#6 Curll

• 3992 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Just eight years?

It felt like a lifetime. Truly an amazing and historic run. Hopefully this book is positive and reflective as opposed to vitriolic and bitter. But, Dan knows every story needs a villain and Francona will need a spoil to his heroism.

#7 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10032 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not to bum out those who have ordered this but I suspect that there will be nothing earth shattering in the book. Tito is in no position to burn bridges given that he is currently managing a clubhouse and while CHB has a track record of attacking certain subjects, this is simply another product off the Red Sox Nation assembly line for him. Maybe there will be something more about Youkilis' non-Greek physique or an anecdote or two about Mirabelli clogging the clubhouse bowl but I doubt Francona will truly share inside dirt.

In fact, Shaughnessy should be recognized for being one of the first people to grasp how large the market is for all things Red Sox. Even if it contains nothing but fluff, this book is virtually guaranteed to sell a metric fuckton of copies.

#8 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5995 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Agreed. Tito never said anything earth shattering when he managed in Boston but what he did say was very well said and I consistently went out of my way to listen to or read his words.

Hasn't he also said he would never write a tell-all type of book? In any case, there will be a lot in the book that's already public knowledge but that slipped by me at the time, or that I never heard about from his unique perspective. Maybe there will also be a little bit of self-disclosure in it, i.e. his struggles to get off the chew.

Say what you want about the CHB; the asshole can write. This authorship team, on paper anyway, looks like a winner.

Edited by Pearl Wilson, 23 December 2012 - 06:56 AM.

#9 JimD

• 4543 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'll be shocked if there isn't at least a small bombshell about 2011 and/or his subsequent dismissal in this book, even with Francona back in the dugout with the Tribe.

#10 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25368 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Agreed. Tito never said anything earth shattering when he managed in Boston but what he did say was very well said and I consistently went out of my way to listen to or read his words.

Hasn't he also said he would never write a tell-all type of book? In any case, there will be a lot in the book that's already public knowledge but that slipped by me at the time, or that I never heard about from his unique perspective. Maybe there will also be a little bit of self-disclosure in it, i.e. his struggles to get off the chew.

Say what you want about the CHB; the asshole can write. This authorship team, on paper anyway, looks like a winner.

Disagree here. His Reversing the Curse book was a pile of lukewarm drek.

I think this book is going to be a huge disappointment due to Tito partnering with CHB. Too many scores will be settled. Ownership, Manny, Schilling, etc. Had Tito partnered with someone who actually likes sports and baseball, this book would have had a chance of being enjoyable.

We'll see, obviously. But CHB ain't getting one dime from me. I'll take it out of the library.

#11 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5995 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'll let you borrow my kindle Steve :q:

#12 kevlog

• 2391 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Jan. 22nd? Not for Christmas, Opening Day, Father's Day, or even World Series time? I guess I don't get the publishing business.

C'mon, it'll be out for Valentine's Day. We are publishing it and all I can share is that Francona is a good author to work with; returns calls when he says he will - and I'm excited about it!

#13 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2932 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

It says something to me that Tito agreed to do the book in the first place considering CHB's reputation and that Tito said he'd never write a book. Tito must have received one hell of an advance.

Knowing CHB's hatred toward Schilling and vice versa I'd enjoy reading those passages however, I will not give one cent to CHBs grandchildren's college fund. He spews nothing but venom and I loathe the man.

#14 Dan to Theo to Ben

• 4036 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

He'll be signing it on January 25th at the Pru B&N.

#15 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5995 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Now see, if Kevlog is involved that just gives me another reason to buy it. I'm in full confirmation bias mode now!

Kevlog or anyone, do you know how these guys got teamed up? Is it as DeJesus Built My Hotrod seems to imply, that CHB initiated the project? Surely Tito didn't approach him. This pairing strikes me as the kind of team a publisher might cook up.

#16 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20621 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Exactly. I always loved hearing what he had to say. Hopefully, you'll be able "hear" him again while reading his words.

#17 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25368 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Exactly. I always loved hearing what he had to say. Hopefully, you'll be able "hear" him again while reading his words.

Considering who his co-author is, you won't.

#18 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7072 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I still don't understand the choice of CHB, there are plenty of writers that have talent and can actually add something rather than detract from it. I love Tito, but I won't be buying it.

#19 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20272 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

We'll see, obviously. But CHB ain't getting one dime from me. I'll take it out of the library.

I'm waiting for the movie to come out here on SoSH. :rolleyes:

#20 someoneanywhere

• 3143 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm waiting for the movie to come out here on SoSH. :rolleyes:

Me? I'm waiting for the audio book, narrated by Carl Everett.

#21 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22200 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I still don't understand the choice of CHB, there are plenty of writers that have talent and can actually add something rather than detract from it. I love Tito, but I won't be buying it.

CHB is a name who sells books. He has done these before and probably has a good rep in the marketplace with athletes and coaches

#22 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3884 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Now see, if Kevlog is involved that just gives me another reason to buy it. I'm in full confirmation bias mode now!

Kevlog or anyone, do you know how these guys got teamed up? Is it as DeJesus Built My Hotrod seems to imply, that CHB initiated the project? Surely Tito didn't approach him. This pairing strikes me as the kind of team a publisher might cook up.

I asked my sister this exact question last night. She apparently works with Kevlog, as she's a PR gal at Harcourt-Houghton. She worked on the Wakefield book a little bit (she gave me a signed copy and a signed baseball; it was god-awful, but the baseball is kinda cool to have), but isn't working the Tito book. She said it's probably a relationship that the editor who's in charge of the book has, so probably it's a high-profile editor at Harcourt and s/he's got a relationship with CHB from a past book. Editor got to work with Tito because he's a big name, and he paired Tito with CHB.

But she said it's possible Tito asked for CHB, or CHB brought Tito to H-H. She's not sure.

Also, she has the manuscript on her Kindle. She said there's no bombshells, but there are lots of small interesting things. I was hoping for cool Manny stories, but she said there's not that much about him. Just stories that show how crazy he is, but that don't really illuminate much.

#23 Jordu

• 2029 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Also, she has the manuscript on her Kindle. She said there's no bombshells, but there are lots of small interesting things. I was hoping for cool Manny stories, but she said there's not that much about him. Just stories that show how crazy he is, but that don't really illuminate much.

"Small interesting things" are enough to get me to read the book. Francona has always been articulate about the game, and I hope that carries over into the book.

I remember a press conference a few years ago in which Francona said of Matsuzaka, "When the game speeds up, he speeds up." Summed up Matsuzaka in a sentence.

That kind of thing. Not gossip, but baseball insight. I wonder if that too much to wish for.

#24 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13471 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I will take any chance I get to reflect on and re-enjoy Francona's tenure with the Red Sox. If his price for that is that some of my money goes to CHB, well, I'm disappointed but I like Terry more than I hate CHB.

#25 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3094 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

I will take any chance I get to reflect on and re-enjoy Francona's tenure with the Red Sox. If his price for that is that some of my money goes to CHB, well, I'm disappointed but I like Terry more than I hate CHB.

Perfect post.

#26 Papelbon's Poutine

• 4891 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

+1

(null)

#27 NatetheGreat

• 522 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

This book is gonna be fucking huge. Probably the biggest sports book since Joe Torre.

#28 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7189 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hopefully it's a tad more interesting. Torre's book was a complete snooze fest.

#29 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3884 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Just got some more info on the book, this time not filtered through various holiday intoxicants:

1. CHB and Tito came as a package to Houghton-Harcourt. No idea how they teamed up together. Probably, though, Tito likes him.

2. Sports Illustrated will be running an excerpt of the book in the 1/21 issue, which means it will be available online 1/16. Supposedly, the excerpt will have some good stuff.

3. I've acquired the signing schedule so you can all make plans to get a signed copy:

January 23, 12:30 p.m.
Barnes & Noble at Citigroup Center
160 East 54th Street (at 3rd Ave)
New York, NY

January 25, 12:30 p.m.
Barnes & Noble at the Prudential Center
800 Boylston Street
Boston, MA

January 26, 1:00 p.m.
BJ’s Wholesale Club
901 Technology Center Drive
Stoughton, MA

January 27, 12:30 p.m.
Costco Wholesale Club
71 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA

January 28, 7:00 p.m.
Willow Books
279 Great Road
Acton, MA

No word on whether Tito will be willing to sign your man-boobs, but it can't hurt to ask, I'm sure.

#30 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12270 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

1. CHB and Tito came as a package to Houghton-Harcourt. No idea how they teamed up together. Probably, though, Tito likes him.

I agree you're likely right and have thought that was the probable explanation since the book was announced, but the cognitive dissonance of that statement to this board will never, ever be overcome.

3. I've acquired the signing schedule so you can all make plans to get a signed copy:

That list seems both limited and weighted towards wholesale clubs. Is that normal? I don't, you know, read real books.

#31 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22200 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Will Tito and CHB both be signing at these events? And, if so, will CHB be upset if I don't get his sig on my book?

#32 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Will Tito and CHB both be signing at these events? And, if so, will CHB be upset if I don't get his sig on my book?

I'll pay an extra $5 if Shank doesn't sign it.

#33 Ferm Sheller

• 4389 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I walk past the Barnes and Noble at the Pru Shops everyday and the advertisement for the Jan 25th signing doesn't mention CHB. I can't believe he'd be there. I mean, Tito's the draw. It's "his" book.

#34 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9257 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I would have bought this book on the first day it was available if the co-writer was anyone other than CHB. But since his name is on it, I won't be buying it at all. I have no idea how him being on there will affect sales-- maybe not at all, maybe it will even increase them. All I know is that it most definitely cost them one sale, mine.

#35 JimD

• 4543 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'll borrow this from the local library, but to be honest I have low expectations for it. Tito will never let the really good stories see the light of day.

#36 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3094 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image

#37 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

“I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners…it’s still more of a toy or hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life (PAGE 54).”

Dayum. Boom goes the dynamite.

#38 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

* “(Chairman Tom) Werner talked about slumping television ratings and whined, ‘We need to start winning in more exciting fashion.' ”

* From Epstein: “They told us we didn’t have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle. We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing from what we set out to be.”

* Back to Francona: "One thing the players were always asking for was getaway day games. The owners would never go for it. They couldn’t have more day games because the ratings were already suffering, and that would have hurt worse.”

* More Francona: “Our owners in Boston, they’ve been owners for 10 years. They come in with all these ideas about baseball, but I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners — and they’re good owners. But they don’t love the game. It’s still more of a toy or a hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life.”

http://bostonherald...._red_sox_owners

Edited by SoxScout, 15 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#39 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9482 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

serious question. How do we know what is francona's and what is Shaughnessy?

#40 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I would assume anything in direct quotes is from Tito.

#41 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9482 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I would assume anything in direct quotes is from Tito.

Ok but that brings me to my second question. He says the owners are not doing it for the love of the game and its a hobby for them. What owner owns a basbeall team becuase they "LOVE baseball" last time I checked, owning a baseball team is a buisness and the point is to make a competitive team and in turn make $$$. (and then sell when the team is not making money).

#42 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Ok but that brings me to my second question. He says the owners are not doing it for the love of the game and its a hobby for them. What owner owns a basbeall team becuase they "LOVE baseball" last time I checked, owning a baseball team is a buisness and the point is to make a competitive team and in turn make $$$. (and then sell when the team is not making money).

You should probably raise your objections to the statement with Tito.

I would guess that those remarks, particularly the hobby one, stem from the owners' reaching out into other sports ventures (Fenway Rousch Racing, Liverpool, NESN stuff, etc). Perhaps Tito, rightly or wrongly, believed that the ownership was more interested in the next shiny new thing than concentrating fully on the Sox.

#43 bougrj1

• 125 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

True, I guess, but the key to your statement is you need a competitive team to make money. Not wanting to give players away days or saying we need "sexier" players can risk the on field product - you could argue that only caring for tonight's TV ratings and today's jersey sales are not the best way to make money over time. Your number one priority should be having an always competitive team and doing the necessary things to facilitate that as an owner.

#44 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7189 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Honestly the only one I can think of off the top of my head in the Big 4 is Pegula in Buffalo, who's basically the Sabres' T. Boone Pickens.

Edited by kenneycb, 15 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#45 curly2

• 2677 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

It should ALL be Francona's. If Tito is smart (and I think he is) he should have negotiated final approval so that it's what HE wants told, just using Shaugnessy to structure it.

#46 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5381 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Read between the lines of the quotes a bit 'this is a hobby for them', 'we needed sizzle and marketable players', etc. I think he is hinting that they arent really great owners. Basically, he is saying they were meddling and only concerned about revenue and profit, and dont really care about winning nearly as much as they claim they do. If this was a team that struggled to make a profit that would be one thing, but this team is a cash cow.

#47 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27957 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

The thing I don't understand is, if the owners wanted marketable players and stars, why did they let guys like Damon, Papelbon, Manny, Pedro, etc go? They thought Crawford and Lackey were exciting, and would sell tickets and increase ratings? But didn't Theo say the team had been targeting Crawford for well over a year- which suggests it wasn't a sudden, rash move? I don't know, there seems like a lot of contradictions. I guess I could read the book to find out more, but ownership complaining about an 89 win team after '10 seems valid since they had won 95 or more games the prior three years, that year was a disappointment. The way the roster "evolved" after that obviously didn't work, and there's certainly reasons for Theo and Tito to perceive why what happened did for different reasons, everyone is trying to cover their own ass and blame someone else. TIto blames ownership for being less engaged- the same accusations they lobbed at him.

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 15 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#48 RIFan

• 225 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Honestly the only one I can think of off the top of my head in the Big 4 is Pegula in Buffalo, who's basically the Sabres' T. Boone Pickens.

Cuban comes to mind. Of course, he wouldn't do anything he can't make a profit on, but there is a definite fan side to him.

#49 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13812 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Those snippets are supposed to be sexy, but they make Tito look like a moron {OMG, the owners wanted to make money} which we know he isn't. The one from Epstein needs context, but like TGE above, I'm not paying to get it.

I love going to weekday day games, but they are a logistical nightmare for the team in terms of available parking and ballpark workforce, in addition to the reduced tv viewership. The Sunday night ESPN games are terrible at the end of a homestand, but that's not the team's fault. Players need some smelling salts on that request.

Edited by Harry Hooper, 15 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#50 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm going to move this over to the main board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users