Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

iOS for Children

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

My cousins (ages 11 and 9) just got iPads for Christmas. Setting aside the decline-of-society side of things, I am this morning working out the best way to set things up.

Security:
Is there any way to lock down the settings so that the kids can not re-enable things I've locked down (I.e. in-app transactions)?

Apps:
I think I'm going to set up a shared Apple ID for both kids linked to an email address that forwards to their mom's email. On the fence as to whether to give them the password or not; they're pretty responsible but we don't them downloading even free apps on their own, right?

Internet:
Best options for locking down/recording web browsing activity?

Also, if there's anything else I should be thinking about, speak up. I don't have kids and my elders are tech dummies, so there's a real expertise gap in Brookline today.

#2 edoug

• 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

My cousins (ages 11 and 9) just got iPads for Christmas. Setting aside the decline-of-society side of things, I am this morning working out the best way to set things up.

Security:
Is there any way to lock down the settings so that the kids can not re-enable things I've locked down (I.e. in-app transactions)?

Apps:
I think I'm going to set up a shared Apple ID for both kids linked to an email address that forwards to their mom's email. On the fence as to whether to give them the password or not; they're pretty responsible but we don't them downloading even free apps on their own, right?

Internet:
Best options for locking down/recording web browsing activity?

Also, if there's anything else I should be thinking about, speak up. I don't have kids and my elders are tech dummies, so there's a real expertise gap in Brookline today.

I think this will help.

#3 ganador2004

• 67 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

The other thing that you could do for browsing is to download the BlueCoat k9 browser, which then lets you content filter. It seems from my use to be a little bit of a blunt instrument if you don't customize it, not sure how worried you would be about inappropriate content, etc. You'd have to disable the Safari browser to force the kids to use it - doable in settings. It lets you override any block with an administrator password, though if they end up learning that, it'd have relatively little utility to use it.

I've put it on my kids' iPods, and haven't had any complaints - but then, there are other PC's in the house that they can use.

https://itunes.apple...d407657840?mt=8

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users