Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Offseason Roster Management

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37093 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

The 40-man now stands at 39, with 4 players still to be added once contracts are finalized (Uehara, Napoli, Dempster, Drew). Barring a trade, who gets DFAd?

They have too many catchers, but will they risk losing Vazquez or Butler to waivers? Unlike the Rule 5 draft, where players selected must remain on the 25-man active roster for at least 90 days, waiver claims only require the claiming team to keep them on the 40-man. It seems more likely than not that some team would take a chance on either player if available.

Mauro Gomez is the only player on the roster who can play both 1B and 3B, and he has options remaining. He also showed an ability to handle MLB pitching during his brief stints last season, so I can't see him being dumped just yet.

Among OFs, Nava's out of options and seems destined for a platoon with Jonny Gomes. Kalish is likely to be a frequent call-up, if not a member of the bench when the club breaks camp. That leaves Alex Hassan, whose addition to the roster prior to the Rule 5 draft surprised many. He only played 94 games last year, with 2 DL stints. Decent plate patience but hasn't shown upper-level power yet, and can play both corners though his speed, range & reads haven't drawn any raves.

Among pitchers, my mantra would normally be that it's best to DFA those who will likely need to earn their 25-man spot during Spring Training, but are out of options. If it turns out they don't make the club, they'd have to be DFAd in late spring anyway before assigning them to the minors. This includes RHs Mortensen & Melancon and LHs Breslow & Miller. Morales & Doubront are also out of options, but either would be snatched up immediately if waived.

Meanwhile, the Sox need to retain a certain number of fungible yet optionable pitchers who can be called up for short-term stints and sent back down without exposing them to waivers. Webster & de la Rosa are clearly off limits, and Britton & Pimentel are unlikely candidates in spite of their struggles last year. That leaves Beato, Carpenter, Wright & Wilson. Is there enough of a surplus there to avoid potentially losing either Mortensen or Melancon?

My guesses on this round: Beato, Hassan and Vazquez. It'll get even more interesting if they sign another starting pitcher or two without trading anyone.

#2 In my lifetime

• 363 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Among OFs, Nava's out of options and seems destined for a platoon with Jonny Gomes. Kalish is likely to be a frequent call-up, if not a member of the bench when the club breaks camp.

I believe Nava still has one option left

Edited by In my lifetime, 17 December 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#3 mabrowndog

• 37093 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I believe Nava still has one option left

You're right. In fact, he has two left. He was optioned in 2010, DFAd in 2011 without playing in the majors, and added to the 40-man in 2012 without being optioned back down. Thanks for the correction.

It probably doesn't change things as far as the team's plans for him, making him unlikely to be DFAd before spring training.

#4 Diamond Don Aase

• 480 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

They have too many catchers, but will they risk losing Vazquez or Butler to waivers? Unlike the Rule 5 draft, where players selected must remain on the 25-man active roster for at least 90 days, waiver claims only require the claiming team to keep them on the 40-man. It seems more likely than not that some team would take a chance on either player if available.

Which is why it was insane to protect both minor-league catchers prior to the Rule 5 Draft. Even if one of them had been selected, the chance that they would have been returned to the Red Sox organization is much greater than the chance of sneaking them through waivers four months before the season begins.

Daniel Nava definitely has one option year remaining but I believe that he has only one option remaining. Even though Nava did not spend any of 2011 in the major leagues, he was still optioned to the minor leagues during spring training and spent more than 20 days of the regular season there before being designated for assignment in May.

#5 amfox1

• 3306 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I would guess Beato, Mortenson and a trade to free up the third spot (could be Salty, but the catcher market is waiting for AJ to sign first, or Melancon/Pimentel).

#6 mabrowndog

• 37093 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Daniel Nava definitely has one option year remaining but I believe that he has only one option remaining. Even though Nava did not spend any of 2011 in the major leagues, he was still optioned to the minor leagues during spring training and spent more than 20 days of the regular season there before being designated for assignment in May.

Yup, you're right. I missed the optioning on 3/20/11. Thanks.

#7 mabrowndog

• 37093 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Not that it's necessarily applicable to the Sox' current roster situation, but does anyone know what the earliest date is that players to be placed on the 60-day DL? I had this somewhat insane idea (hope?) that Lackey could be stashed there if some further misfortune were to befall him this winter.

#8 Papelbon's Poutine

• 4810 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Pretty sure opening day is the earliest.

(null)

#9 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22125 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Pretty sure opening day is the earliest.

(null)

February 21, 2012 Placed RHP Bobby Jenks on the 60-day DL.

From this link

That was the Sox' earliest use of the 60 day this past season, so it might be when spring training starts.

#10 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3468 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think Lackey was borderline on trying to pitch at the end of the 2012 season, had it not been completely down the tubes. I don't see him being delayed further in the spring.

#11 lexrageorge

• 2992 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

According the link below:

http://www.thecubrep...xport/html/3506

The earliest would be 45 days prior to Opening Day. Note that the 60 day clock also would not start until Opening Day, so anyone so placed would be ineligible to play until early June.

#12 mabrowndog

• 37093 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Pedro Beato DFA'd to clear space for Dempster.

#13 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 9116 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Chris Carpenter DFA'd to make room for Napoli.

https://twitter.com/ScottLauber/status/293804307755704322
link to tweet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users