Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

How effed is my PS3?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7940 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

My 3 yr old PS3 120GB Slim started giving me probs a couple weeks ago

at first the sound wasn't syncing during gameplay, then lagging (offline play), and then the menu transitions slow down, and then it just crashes.

I redid the file system, reformated the hard drive, etc, nothing changed

I replaced the hard drive (with an SSD*), it ran much more quietly and it plays for about 30 mins, and then crash up again

I think I hear the game disc starting/stopping a lot, I also hear a weird chirping noise

Any idea what the problem could be? I'd rather not buy a new one if at all possible

* As an aside, Start up, loading and menus are super fast with the SSD, at least until the console crashes

Edited by Infield Infidel, 09 December 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#2 grantb

• Couldn't get into a real school

• 1573 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

If it's not the hard-drive, I'd guess it's the optical disc drive that's giving you problems. I had the same problem; it would work fine for a little bit then just freeze randomly. Luckily mine was still under warranty so I just sent it back. I'm 99% sure it was the optical drive because of the funny noises from the disc drive and the HDD was working fine since it only happened when I was running a disc. Try watching Netflix or something for a bit, if it doesn't have any problems it's most likely the optical drive.

#3 jtn46

• SoSH Member

• 6838 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Maybe try putting the old drive back in to see if the SSD is the culprit?

#4 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4122 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

The chirping definitely could be an optical read problem, somewhat common on Sony optical devices in my experience...after about 2-3 years of frequent use they begin to do that start/stop chirping thing you describe. Also, another idea...if I recall correctly, there was some talk about defective Chinese fans in some models of the old fat PS3s over time, leading to overheating. Now that the slim version has been out for a few years or so, and your 120GB would have been that first generation I believe, I wonder if maybe a similar problem is cropping up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users