Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Will the Sox move Ellsbury?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#101 g0wave

• 198 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Ideally Ellsbury comes back strong this season and somewhere before the trading deadline a contending team (or 2) has a need whether via injury/loss or lack of performance. The value increases on the performance side and also increases on the need side. If Ells is viewed as the piece that can take a contending team to the WS or put them over the hump, often teams are willing to trade top tier prospects for that to happen. While you always need to keep an eye on the long term if you have a legit shot to go all the way, you have to take it.

Lastly if by some crazy chance this team surprises us all (i know, i know...) , we let the contract run it's course and take the draft pick.

#102 Drek717

• 1784 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

You can't just ignore that they ended up with Trevor Bauer out of that deal. It doesnt matter if you think AZ just gave him away or not. If the Sox netted a package that centers around a starter with the potential of Bauer, I'd be very happy.

Why not? He had absolutely zero to do with what Cleveland got in return for Choo. You can say they wouldn't have done the deal without a flip to acquire Bauer in place but from Choo's buyer's perspective that is irrelevant. Choo's price was set by what Cincy gave up for him, would you view this differently if Cleveland had held onto Gregorious for a week and then made the deal? Then it wouldn't have technically been a three team deal but the mechanics of the trades would have been the same.

Anyway, what you're saying is we only move Ells if we get someone willing to trade someone like Bauer for him, which I'd agree with. The only way that happened for Cleveland was finding a trade partner desperate for something in particular (a SS with starter potential) and then having/finding the ability to provide that. That's pretty rare, so I don't think the chances of us moving Ellsbury are particularly high.

#103 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2134 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Heyman: #redsox have been rebuffing ellsbury inquiries so far. can't blame em. great talent, draft pick after '13. would take haul

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/280669817533505536 mabrowndog is a dingus

Not saying much but I'm interested to know who they've "rebuffed."

#104 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6483 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I suspect that is Boras mouthpiece stuff to drive up his value. I'm sure Philly is interested but we want Lee.

#105 Drek717

• 1784 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Heyman: #redsox have been rebuffing ellsbury inquiries so far. can't blame em. great talent, draft pick after '13. would take haul

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/280669817533505536 mabrowndog is a dingus

Not saying much but I'm interested to know who they've "rebuffed."

I could see Seattle kicking the tires at this point, they've missed out on all their FA targets and have plenty of pitching prospects to move. They're probably our best bet to find a desperate team willing to overpay.

#106 ookami7m

• 4030 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

I could see Seattle kicking the tires at this point, they've missed out on all their FA targets and have plenty of pitching prospects to move. They're probably our best bet to find a desperate team willing to overpay.

What interest would Seattle have in one year of Ellsbury? They aren't competing with Texas and LA this year. They keep getting dropped here but nearly anything for ells would be a dumb trade for them.

#107 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4237 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

If Seattle is the best bet to find a team to overpay for Ellsbury, he's not going anywhere. ookami7m covers it well enough...the Mariners are not in a position of desperation at all. They're not at the point of GFIN at all, and even if they were, I don't think Ellsbury is the piece that puts them over the top. Is their frequent mention as a possible spot for Ellsbury due more to his Pacific Northwest origins or because of the delusion that he could be a key piece in bringing King Felix to Boston?

#108 Drek717

• 1784 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

What interest would Seattle have in one year of Ellsbury? They aren't competing with Texas and LA this year. They keep getting dropped here but nearly anything for ells would be a dumb trade for them.

I'd assume the Mariners trading for Ellsbury would be tied with them thinking to extend him or that it would significantly help them resign him. He is from the pacific northwest after all and they can't land anyone in open bidding, so at some point Jack Z has got to try some other way to acquire bats.

I agree that it's unlikely, but then I don't think see Ellsbury getting traded this off-season at all. Just pointing out that the Mariners keep losing out on free agent targets and really need an impact offensive player, so eventually they're probably going to get desperate. That might consist of giving Swisher 5/$80 or it might consist of overpaying in a trade. People are talking about getting someone like Bauer for Ells, the only way that happens is finding a team too desperate to act rationally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users