Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Texans at Patriots--Monday Night Football

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2193 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

How good are we? We'll find out Monday night. All reports indicate Chandler will be back. Got to get Logan back and Connolly too. Solder and Vollmer better get their shit ready for JJ Watt.

I think Houston is a paper tiger and Brady should rip them apart, but we'll see. Love these tests in December.

#2 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,244 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I think Houston is a very good and balanced team that is probably closer to a 9-3 team than a 11-1 one. If we had a healthy Gronk and Hernandez, I'd like our chances a lot more. Even so, I think it's basically a toss up. Arian Foster obviously presents a huge challenge but I'm also concerned about their TEs, particularly Daniels, eating up our LBs over the middle of the field.

#3 ragnarok725

• 4,065 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

All reports indicate Chandler will be back.

Where did you hear that? He didn't practice at all last week.

#4 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Where did you hear that? He didn't practice at all last week.

@MikeGiardi: Being told that barring a setback, the #Patriots expect Chandler Jones to return to action Monday vs Texans #patriotstalk

#5 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,418 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Zo has said the same thing and he is closer to the team than anyone.

#6 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,282 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

The fact that Tom is now without Gronk and Edelman concerns me when going against any good defense.

Whether Llloyd was simply not open or just being used as a decoy, Tom really only had Welker and Hernandez as regular options during that game. Stallworth should help but I think that they're going to need to run more than they did against Miami (other than that glorious last drive), and utilize other receivers in the passing game.

I think paper tiger is probably too strong but I do take some comfort in how hard the Texans had to work to beat the Jags and Lions, and how well the Pats play at home in December. And the defense's performance against Miami and the continued QB pressure are positive signs as well.

Edited by TheoShmeo, 04 December 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#7 Zososoxfan

• 1,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

This game is a great test and should be a lot of fun. Our D should be able to limit Foster to a reasonable game, but Houston's receivers pose a substantial challenge. Pats are going to have to play their LBs carefully to keep Foster in check (Spikes), but at the same time defend the TEs. I wonder if a 3-safety package might work to help with the TEs and run game. Pats will probably have Talib (most often anyways) in single man coverage against Dre, but that's the reality against this offense. No idea how the Pats intend to attack their D.

#8 Zombie Wakefield

• 76 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

The Houston Texans do not play many late-season games up north - going back through the 2010 season, they've only played six away games in northern outdoor stadiums:

13-6 W @ Chicago on 11/11/12, 54° at kickoff
13-20 L @ Baltimore (playoffs) on 1/15/12, 27° average temp
20-19 W @ Cincinnati on 12/11/11, 34° at kickoff
27-30 L @ NY Jets on 11/21/10, 46° at kickoff
24-34 L @ Philadelphia on 12/2/10, 36° at kickoff
23-24 L @ Denver on 12/26/10, 50° at kickoff

That's a 2-4 record, but 3 of those losses come from the 2010 season when the Texans were only a 6-10 team. None of the games (except the Baltimore playoff game) were in particularly cold weather, but the forecast for Foxboro in Monday is 40-50° and probably won't get much colder despite being a night game.

What strikes me about these games are how close they all were -- with the exception of the Philadephia game (where the Eagles scored 14 unanswered points in the 4th quarter), these games were all decided by one score or less. It looks like Houston plays tough on the road.

Edit: typos

Edited by Zombie Wakefield, 04 December 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#9 Jungleland

• 604 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Anyone here been to MNF at Gillette before? Need some advice on the best way to get down there (what to expect for traffic, which highway is best, etc.) Lemme know if you've got any tips.

#10 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,870 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have never been but I would assume combining normal rush our traffic with the clusterfuck that is Patriot's game traffic is the equivalent of the 9th Circle of Hell.

#11 Ralphwiggum

• 1,545 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have never been but I would assume combining normal rush our traffic with the clusterfuck that is Patriot's game traffic is the equivalent of the 9th Circle of Hell.

Quoted for truth. Pretty much everyone is getting to the game at the same time (roughly after work) and if the game is close and most people stay to the end, pretty much everyone leaves right after the game due to what time the game gets over. In particular, the "getting to the game" traffic is appreciably worse than a normal Sunday game, make sure you give yourself enough time or you'l miss kickoff.

Never done the train option to Gillette because we are typically tailgating but it might be worth it for a Monday night game.

#12 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,282 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

The only addition I would make to Ralph's advice would be to park a ways away from the Stadium and walk up. As a general rule, the closer you are to the Stadium, the worse the trip out is. The smaller lots with the mile or so walk to the stadium are better after the game.

And yes, get there early, tailgate a lot and leave yourself plenty of time to get through the human traffic walking up and the security at the gate.

I would avoid the train at all costs. The one time I took the train from Boston to Gillette was a Monday night game, and there were delays and the train was packed.

#13 Helmet Head

• 1,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Anyone here been to MNF at Gillette before? Need some advice on the best way to get down there (what to expect for traffic, which highway is best, etc.) Lemme know if you've got any tips.

Your best bet is to go early (before rush hour) and park in one of the private lots. The walk is a little further but leaving is so much faster. They also open ealier. I would actually not recommend parking in the Gillette parking lot for any game. Where are you coming in from?

#14 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

@McClain_on_NFL: After working him out this morning, the Texans are going to sign CB Stanford Routt to take the roster spot vacated by CB Brice McCain.

https://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl/status/276033534949470210
link to tweet

#15 pedroia'sboys

• 508 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

How good are we? We'll find out Monday night. All reports indicate Chandler will be back. Got to get Logan back and Connolly too. Solder and Vollmer better get their shit ready for JJ Watt.

I think Houston is a paper tiger and Brady should rip them apart, but we'll see. Love these tests in December.

What on earth makes you think Mankins is even close to coming back? I hope you're right but I doubt it

#16 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,857 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

What on earth makes you think Mankins is even close to coming back? I hope you're right but I doubt it

What on earth makes you think he's not close to coming back? There's not much info either way.

In any event the Texans are kind of banged up too--two starters (Cushing and McCain) are on IR and two more (Reed and Joseph) have been out recently. I think you might see the Pats spread it around a bit.

#17 j44thor

• 4,236 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

This will be HOU 3rd straight road game. It is extremely tough to win 3 straight road games in the NFL and should be even more so for a warm weather team to come into cold Gillette stadium.

#18 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,418 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Jeff Howe@jeffphowe

Mankins and Jones were present for walkthrough

#19 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,418 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Mary Paoletti@Mary_Paoletti

Wednesday walkthru: Jones present. No Vereen, McDonald, Gronkowski, Hightower. Stallworth's here. Bolden's back.

#20 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,418 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Christopher Price@cpriceNFL

Per @FootballZebras, Terry McAulay will work as the ref for Patriots-Texans on Monday night.

#21 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,659 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Vereen and Hightower are the random new additions this week. Let's hope they're not injury-related.

#22 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,735 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Vereen and Hightower are the random new additions this week. Let's hope they're not injury-related.

Tracy White was in some towards the end of the game.

#23 GLOSS

• 172 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I just won tickets to this game, making it the first regular season Patriots game I've attended since the Rams SNF game back in our first Super Bowl season. Here's hoping this season ends in the same fashion...

#24 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,244 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I just won tickets to this game, making it the first regular season Patriots game I've attended since the Rams SNF game back in our first Super Bowl season. Here's hoping this season ends in the same fashion...

But...but...we lost that regular season game

#25 ilol@u

• 1,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

I would strongly recommend for you to NOT park in Gillette Stadium or even the private lots down route 1. It will still be around $40 for parking and having to take a long ass walk in the cold is going to suck.

I actually live down North Street (literally a 10 minute walk - behind Gillette Stadium) and you are best off driving down North Street and finding houses where you can park for about $30-$40. Even though they aren't technically allowed to sell their drive-ways anymore, it is still very common to see people do it. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

#26 bougrj1

• 128 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

I have two extra tickets to the game that I'm selling for face. Send me a PM if interested.

#27 Hendu for Kutch

• 3,676 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

So maybe someone can help me out here...I've heard some MVP talk around Arian Foster this season.

Is he the first RB in NFL history to get MVP talk while averaging less than 4 yards per carry? Take a look at the NFL's top 10 rushers....he's the only one under 4.5 ypc, and he's way under it at 3.9 ypc. It's not like he's lighting it up receiving a ton either, with 30 catches at 4.6 yards per (which seems absurdly low).

Why all the love this year for him?

#28 DaughtersofDougMirabelli

• 2,718 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

So maybe someone can help me out here...I've heard some MVP talk around Arian Foster this season.

Is he the first RB in NFL history to get MVP talk while averaging less than 4 yards per carry? Take a look at the NFL's top 10 rushers....he's the only one under 4.5 ypc, and he's way under it at 3.9 ypc. It's not like he's lighting it up receiving a ton either, with 30 catches at 4.6 yards per (which seems absurdly low).

Why all the love this year for him?

Not that I agree, but 13 TDs is a big part of it (no one else in double digits). He's racking up fantasy stats on one of the better teams in the NFL. I would hope it'd just be talk at this point.

#29 Ralphwiggum

• 1,545 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Who is talking about Foster for MVP? I'm not saying this to be snarky, I just haven't heard it. Perusing some of the articles on the subject I see him mentioned off-hand a couple of times, but nowhere does it look like he's being seriously talked about at this point. Looking at most of the articles that are out there right now, Brady and Manning are most prominently mentioned, if you want to talk about Houston I see far more discussion about JJ Watt.

He's a secondary guy in the discussion because he's the best offensive player on the team with the best record in the league, but I don't think anyone really considers him to be a serious candidate from what I can see.

#30 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,016 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Agree with ralphwiggum - he doesn't show up on Mike Sando's weekly watch, for instance

http://espn.go.com/b...os-mvp-watch-66

#31 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,418 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Jeff Howe@jeffphowe

Jones and Mankins present for practice in shells. Gronkowski and McDonald are the only ones absent. Good sign of progress for Jones/Mankins.

#32 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Michael Giardi@MikeGiardi
Being told that Logan Mankins will play this Monday, barring a setback. Pats plan all along. He'll join Chandler Jones #PatriotsTalk

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/276748441365905408
link to tweet
link to tweet

#33 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

That tweet also indicates that Hightower was back at practice.

#34 Hendu for Kutch

• 3,676 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Agree with ralphwiggum - he doesn't show up on Mike Sando's weekly watch, for instance

http://espn.go.com/b...os-mvp-watch-66

Last week he was #6 on Sando's watch. It looks like the talk has cooled down a bit, but even then his numbers were mediocre. I haven't heard much talk of him being the winner, but he's been getting a lot of mentions on lists like that for most of the season.

#35 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 5,630 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Edited by Kenny F'ing Powers, 06 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#36 BernieRicoBoomer

• 113 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Quoted for truth.

#37 dynomite

• 4,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

I keep thinking back to a prior game when Brady and the Patriots had to contend with a blitz-happy Wade Phillips defense: 2007 Week 6, Patriots @ Cowboys. After barely surviving a bad Brady performance against the Chargers' Wade Phillips defense in the 2006 playoffs (in part by ditching 2 TE sets in favor of 3 WR looks to beat blitzes, and in part because of Troy Brown's still shocking strip), the team (and McDaniels) seemed to learn their lesson: go 3 WR, spread them out, have the RB help with blitz pickup, and use quick throws to beat man coverage.

In the 2007 Cowboys game, Brady threw early and often, ending up 31/46, with 388 yards and 5 TDs, as the Pats rolled to a 48-27 win.

Using essentially the same strategy, the Packers steamrolled the Texans earlier this season. I'm hoping the Patriots can do it again.

Here's the highlights: http://www.nfl.com/v...boys-highlights

EDIT: Can't figure out how to embed.

Edited by dynomite, 08 December 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#38 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Go Stallworth!!

#39 There is no Rev

• 23,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

:unsure:

#40 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,735 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Guessing the inactives:
FB Develin
TE Gronkowski
TE Shiancoe
T Zusevics
DE Bequette
DB Martin

I'm going to guess they don't activate Bolden for Monday. If they do activate him, probably Develin gets dropped and Cole or Brace is the last inactive.

The Texans use their TEs and FB a lot in the passing game. I'm feeling a lot of nickel this week with Chung as the fifth DB. Rumors of his demise may be premature.

#41 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,164 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think it's more likely his conditioning and health aren't 100% right now but, yeah, his demise is premature.

#42 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Texans RT Derek Newton is out for Monday per @espnafc_south

#43 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,959 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Looks like early reports re. Jones' availability were dead-on:

In a sign that he is readying to return to the field after missing two games due to an ankle injury, Patriots rookie defensive end Chandler Jones spoke with reporters in the locker room Saturday, and when asked how he was feeling, replied, "Ready to play against the Texans."

The decision of whether or not he actually suits up will not be his own, however, as Jones said, "It's a coach's decision. Never up to me."

Duane Brown vs. Chandler Jones - assuming he plays on the right side - will be a massive matchup, as HOU runs the ball predominantly to Brown's side.

#44 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Looks like early reports re. Jones' availability were dead-on:

Duane Brown vs. Chandler Jones - assuming he plays on the right side - will be a massive matchup, as HOU runs the ball predominantly to Brown's side.

CJ has to be on that side as he's the best end at setting the edge.

#45 dynomite

• 4,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

CJ has to be on that side as he's the best end at setting the edge.

Honest question: is he?

I could be wrong, but I remember him playing undisciplined against both the Broncos and the Bills (?) on a number of running plays, abandoning his gap to try to rush the passer. It's not really a knock on the kid -- he's a rookie, after all -- but I wonder whether the Pats will rotate larger folks (Love, Deaderick, even Vince) to that side and ask the LBs (Spikes) to watch the middle gaps.

#46 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,612 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Honest question: is he?

I could be wrong, but I remember him playing undisciplined against both the Broncos and the Bills (?) on a number of running plays, abandoning his gap to try to rush the passer. It's not really a knock on the kid -- he's a rookie, after all -- but I wonder whether the Pats will rotate larger folks (Love, Deaderick, even Vince) to that side and ask the LBs (Spikes) to watch the middle gaps.

In a 4-3, Vince probably won't play end. Against Houston, you have to be wary of Foster's patient cutbacks. Jones is better IMO in the run game although Nink can be good at times. He just tends to get caught up in the wash because he's undersized.

Nink, Scott, and whoever is on the offensive right side need to come up big. It's a backup RT so he'll have help.

#47 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,911 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I see rain in the forecast -- any locals who could let me/us know how hard/how bad?

#48 dynomite

• 4,682 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

According to NECN just now it'll be unusually warm (upper 50s) and raining hard in the evening then tapering into showers. Could be a sloppy first half, if I understood correctly.

Edited by dynomite, 09 December 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#49 There is no Rev

• 23,798 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

As far as Brady is concerned, crappy field good, rain bad. So the key issue here is how much tapering and when.

#50 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,045 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

As far as Brady is concerned, crappy field good, rain bad. So the key issue here is how much tapering and when.

I thought it was just wind = bad. He's been pretty great in snow, sleet, freezing rain in the past so why would rain bother him?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users