Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Red Sox and Napoli FINALLY agree to terms: 1 year, $5 million

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
602 replies to this topic

#601 502 to Right

• brandon spikes: child destroyer

• 1201 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Brett Favre was diagnosed with avuncular necrosis. In 1992.

So it may be nothing to be concerned with in 2013 for Napoli and the Red Sox.

#602 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 10397 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Brett Favre was diagnosed with avuncular necrosis. In 1992.

He had a dead uncle in his hip? That sounds excruciating. :P

Well, it sounds like the deal they wound up with is fair to everybody. I guess the big question from a fan's POV is whether and how the whole thing is going to affect Napoli on the field. DRS and radsoxfan--when a hip with AVN collapses, is it most likely to be precipitated by trauma, or will it just come out of nowhere? Is there any incentive for him to avoid taking chances with the hip (diving plays etc.)?

#603 In my lifetime

• 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Well, it sounds like the deal they wound up with is fair to everybody. I guess the big question from a fan's POV is whether and how the whole thing is going to affect Napoli on the field. DRS and radsoxfan--when a hip with AVN collapses, is it most likely to be precipitated by trauma, or will it just come out of nowhere? Is there any incentive for him to avoid taking chances with the hip (diving plays etc.)?

AVN can be staged in the following manner (from Medscape):

Steinberg proposed the following staging system, known as the Steinberg Classification System, which is concise and delineates the progression and extent of AVN involvement more accurately.[7, 8] This staging system has gained increasing acceptance in the orthopedic community.

• Stage I – Normal radiographs; abnormal MRI or bone scan
  • Stage II – Abnormal lucency or sclerotic site in femoral head
  • Stage III – Subchondral collapse (ie, crescent sign) without flattening of femoral head
  • Stage IV – Flattening of the femoral head; normal joint space
  • Stage V – Joint space narrowing, acetabular changes, or both
  • Stage VI – Advanced degenerative changes
  • Stages I-IV are further subdivided according to the percentage of femoral head involvement: A (< 15%), B (15-30%), or C (>30%).

Presumably , Napoli is at Stage I.  Subchondral collapse and joint space narrowing (are problems that typically require surgical intervention) and anything that increases pressure on the Femoral head would increase the likelihood of collapse.  For example, the pressure on a Femoral head from running is 5x greater than the pressure during rest.

The move to first base is helpful, but as you might be able to imagine, as the bone gets weaker, the chance of trivial trauma causing a collapse becomes greater.  I can't imagine there is any team going forward that will sign Napoli to more than a 1 year deal without at least having similar contract protection in place that the Red Sox have already included.  Basically Napoli's hip is a ticking time bomb, that could go off tomorrow or in 10 years. All that being said, it is certainly very possible that Napoli stays off the DL this year and earns all of incentives to receive 13M. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users