Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Red Sox and Napoli FINALLY agree to terms: 1 year, $5 million

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
602 replies to this topic

#451 Edelpeddle

• 273 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Maybe, I'm missing what you were hoping to demonstrate with his hit chart in Arlington? Just that he isn't a dead pull hitter?

As far as the ball carrying well in Ranger's Ballpark I couldn't agree more, in fact it is a point that I noted 7 pages ago. There was also a discussion of wall height in there as well. Of course every dot "in the seats" on the Fenway overlay isn't going to be a HR, but to me at least, the overlay suggests Napoli is a bit of a pull hitter with a lot of power to LF (not that he lacks for power to any field). Given that I completely agree that you can't really correct for things like temperature and density differences, making it a reach to compare hit charts directly with overlays, it seems to suggest that Fenway may be a moderate benefit to Napoli.

Napoli's hitting chart at Ranger's Ballpark demonstrates that more often than not he does not pull the ball when he hits in it the air. Overall, he only pulls the ball 52% of the time and more than two thirds of the time, those balls are hit on the ground. Considering he's not a pull hitter when he hits the ball in the air, I don't see how Fenway would improve his numbers when it tends to be less hitter friendly than Ranger's Ballpark.

Fangraphs and ESPN park factors suggest that Ranger's Ballpark has been a friendlier hitter's park than Fenway for the majority of the years they have data for.

http://www.fangraphs...n=2011&teamid=0

http://espn.go.com/m...tor/_/year/2012

Edited by Edelpeddle, 12 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#452 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,877 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

“[Napoli's] a guy who gets on base, has power, and could be a good fit for our ballpark,”

Why does this have to mean they think he's a pull hitter? It's certainly possible that they think that, though I'd wager it's unlikely they'd be failing to assess one of the most basic bits of information about him as a hitter when we can pull up hit charts in a few minutes and see it.

This statement could simply mean they think his power will play well at Fenway, especially down the lines.

Edit: Plus, of the 18 hits from Arlington that look long enough to be home runs in Fenway (or wall balls), ten of them are dead pull hits and another three are on the left field side of center. They may also be referring to when he really uncorks on one.

Edited by Snodgrass'Muff, 12 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#453 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,335 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

In what world do the Sox look bad? It's business. They thought they were buying X. They did their diligence and found out X was Y and responded accordingly.

Not all 30 teams will see the films the Sox did. If Napoli signs here on a 1-year deal, plays 150 games, and is left with no choice but to accept a QO, it's going to hurt the Sox down the road -- the next 30ish FA who is offered substantially the same money here and someplace else is not coming here.

Ironically, the Sox would be better off if someone like Boras represented Napoli. Unfortunately, his agent isn't part of the club, so he's got every incentive to complain down the road that the Sox were unfair to his client.

Not the FO's fault, but this is a bad situation.

Edited by maufman, 12 January 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#454 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 5,752 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

That's nonsense. They acted in good faith and found issues on the physical. If they were being disingenuous then Napoli himself would have walked first. A lot of people here found it odd that the rangers wouldn't give him a QO but we'd give him three years at the same rate. Well, there ya go. It's probably because they knew he had a hip issue.

The only free agents that are going to avoid the sox because of this are ones with hidden injuries. And that's a good thing.

Edited by Papelbon's Poutine, 13 January 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#455 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5,733 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Either Napoli is much more damaged than anyone knew, and he tried to slide by hoping due diligence wouldn't bite him, or his condition is more degenerative than he was aware of. I suspect Texas knew more than they were letting on.

In either case, it looks like a huge gamble that has more downside than upside. It looks like the Red Sox - as good as their medical investigation was, have now painted themselves into a no-1B corner.

As for hit charts...when they include information on how a batter is being pitched to (ballpark sensitive), I'll start paying more attention.

#456 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 8,000 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Not all 30 teams will see the films the Sox did. If Napoli signs here on a 1-year deal, plays 150 games, and is left with no choice but to accept a QO, it's going to hurt the Sox down the road -- the next 30ish FA who is offered substantially the same money here and someplace else is not coming here.

Ironically, the Sox would be better off if someone like Boras represented Napoli. Unfortunately, his agent isn't part of the club, so he's got every incentive to complain down the road that the Sox were unfair to his client.

Not the FO's fault, but this is a bad situation.

If Napoli thinks the Sox are dicking him around, he has every right to shop his medicals to other teams and give them the chance to beat the Sox's offer. The fact that either (a) he hasn't or (b) no one's buying is pretty telling. There's no basis for anyone to conclude the Sox aren't acting in good faith here.

#457 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10,368 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Either Napoli is much more damaged than anyone knew, and he tried to slide by hoping due diligence wouldn't bite him, or his condition is more degenerative than he was aware of. I suspect Texas knew more than they were letting on.

What does this even mean? Texas did not make a qualifying offer.

Do they have some responsibility to inform other clubs about the condition of their free agents that I am unaware of?

In either case, it looks like a huge gamble that has more downside than upside. It looks like the Red Sox - as good as their medical investigation was, have now painted themselves into a no-1B corner.

Again, what does this mean? Nothing is decided on Napoli right now other than the fact that the Sox aren't happy with the tentative agreement and Napoli isn't happy with changing it. Since neither side has much alternative, I think the odds are good that they work something out.

As for hit charts...when they include information on how a batter is being pitched to (ballpark sensitive), I'll start paying more attention.

Hit charts are complete nonsense, so I agree with you here... :)

#458 someoneanywhere

• 3,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've posted upthread a few times about how this is no black eye on the organization, and simply how the business works. I won't get back into it.

But I think it's worth noting that this was the contract -- this was the deal -- that Napoli had been banking on: his big one, the one that would pay the bills for eternity. All players play for at least one of these contracts.

And now he is looking at what could be a career-killing condition.

The notion that somehow the Sox have been blackguards about this needs to take into consideration that after all of this there is still the possibility, and the likelihood, that he gets big money (if not big years, and believe me I understand that ballplayers also want to play ball). If he and his agent really did think they were getting a raw deal, they'd have walked by now. They understand the Sox --within the confines of trying to run an organization -- are doing right by the circumstances.

#459 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5,733 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

What does this even mean? Texas did not make a qualifying offer.

Not meant as an accusation against Texas...just further explanation why no qualifying offer may have been extended - meaning health may have entered into it from 2 sources instead of just the Sox.

As for the other quote - nothing against the Sox at all...they did exactly the right due diligence. Just ironic that the good job they did may have left them with fewer options at 1B.

Sometimes me postings not so clear.

#460 redsoxstiff

• hip-tossed Yogi in a bar fight

• 6,657 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Sometimes my postings are clear by accident...

The Glob has a report(?) that Napoli's hip could let go at any time...

How does Ben cover our asses with this...?

I am too lazy to find a compelling agreement that makes sense...
We should turn to the most palatable ,sensible alternative...
This agreement(?) smacks of Russian roulette...

#461 Jordu

• 2,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Here's the line from Cafardo's column:

A major league source said this about Mike Napoli’s hip condition: “It’s one of those things where it could go anytime or five years from now. Nobody really knows, which is why the Red Sox want strong language after putting $40 million on the table for him.”

What medical condition could that be? And if Napoli could be healthy for five years, why are the Red Sox trying to negotiate him down to a one-year deal?

I get the feeling a lot of people are talking out of their asses on this.

#462 redsoxstiff

• 6,657 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I was focusing on the "where it could go anytime...I don't see a resolution here...

#463 bombdiggz

• 987 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Here's the line from Cafardo's column:

A major league source said this about Mike Napoli’s hip condition: “It’s one of those things where it could go anytime or five years from now. Nobody really knows, which is why the Red Sox want strong language after putting $40 million on the table for him.”

What medical condition could that be? And if Napoli could be healthy for five years, why are the Red Sox trying to negotiate him down to a one-year deal?

I get the feeling a lot of people are talking out of their asses on this.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here, but my guess would be if the hip goes early, they don't want to be on the hook for two more years and 26 M?

#464 EvilEmpire

• 4,639 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

So are the Sox trying to insert language if Napoli's hip goes out similar to what they did with Lacking, or are they just trying to use it as leverage to make it a one year deal?

If option #2, then I agree with mauf that there might be some backlash if Napoli goes out and plays 150 games next season with no problems.

#465 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

So are the Sox trying to insert language if Napoli's hip goes out similar to what they did with Lacking, or are they just trying to use it as leverage to make it a one year deal?

If option #2, then I agree with mauf that there might be some backlash if Napoli goes out and plays 150 games next season with no problems.

I would imagine that ultimately the contract will be the three year deal with language more in line with JD Drew's contract, in which the Sox have the power to void the remainder of his deal should he miss X amount of games due to a specific body part (in Drew's case, his shoulder). I can't see a scenario in which the Sox would want to extend Napoli's deal (as they can with Lackey) should his hip "give out". They rightly don't want to be on the hook for anything if and when Napoli has to shut it down.

Edited by Red(s)HawksFan, 13 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#466 EvilEmpire

• 4,639 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I would imagine that ultimately the contract will be the three year deal with language more in line with JD Drew's contract, in which the Sox have the power to void the remainder of his deal should he miss X amount of games due to a specific body part (in Drew's case, his shoulder). I can't see a scenario in which the Sox would want to extend Napoli's deal (as they can with Lackey) should his hip "give out". They rightly don't want to be on the hook for anything if and when Napoli has to shut it down.

You're right; I was just thinking in general terms of having protection over the length of the deal if the hip went bad, not the exact mechanism of having the deal extended or anything. Drew's deal is a much better comparison. Same basic point though -- the Sox have ways of protecting themselves over the length of a 3 year deal and they've done it a few times. If they aren't going down that path and are instead just trying to use the injury as leverage for a one year deal, I think there is more potential for them to look bad if Napoli is healthy throught the next season.

#467 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5,733 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'm not a doctor, but I once went to one.

Here's a paper from the NIH about Hip Athrosis in Young Adults. (Osteoarthritis)

Hip degeneration is uncommon in younger patients in the absence of prior trauma or systemic illness.Common clinical findings include limitation into hip internal rotation and flexion range of motion (ROM), pain and/or crepitus [popping noises] with hip ROM testing, and weakness of periarticular hip musculature.

The patient was a 28 year-old female (height, 167.6 cm; mass, 77 kg) that worked as a part-time aerobics instructor while completing her graduate studies. She reported a 4-month history of pain in her left buttock, groin, and distal quadriceps. She attributed her buttock pain to a recent “deep hip stretching” routine that she self-initiated and described it as burning or tightness that worsened while performing aerobics, lunges, or squats and can reach 4/10 (0, no pain; 10, worse pain imaginable) in intensity on a numeric pain rating (NPR) scale. The patient believed that the pain in her left groin and distal quadriceps resulted from altered mechanics following a severe ankle sprain that occurred 4 years ago. This pain would reach 9/10 in intensity on a NPR scale, was described as a deep ache, and was aggravated with prolonged weight bearing, particularly on consecutive days. Rest and use of naproxen decreased her pain in each location. At the time of the evaluation, she had discontinued her work as an aerobics instructor secondary to her pain.

Further, while the benefit of physical therapy has been demonstrated in those over 50 years old, evidence supporting the use of this approach in young adults is limited. While similar benefits may be expected, it is uncertain as to whether young adults would achieve sufficient gains to return to the high level of activity common to their age group. However, given the limited surgical options available for this younger population, physical therapy management may play a more critical role...

The patient was initially referred to a different physical therapist by her primary care physician and underwent treatment for the diagnoses of iliotibial band syndrome, hip pain, and subluxing patella. Treatment consisted of activity modification, soft tissue massage using a foam roller, and passive stretching into hip internal and external rotation, resulting in minimal improvement.

The patient sought further evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon who ordered a thorough diagnostic imaging work up for her left hip. Radiographs and contrast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) indicated the presence of cam type lesion on the femoral head-neck junction, severe chondrosis [cartilage formation] with areas of full thickness cartilage loss, and an osteochondral loose body. The surgeon believed that she would not benefit from an arthroscopic osteotomy [cutting the bone] to address the cam lesion because the chondrosis was the likely pain generator.

Once the original physical therapist was made aware of the imaging findings, treatment was discontinued as he believed he had little more to offer. The patient was then seen by 2 additional orthopedic surgeons specializing in joint replacements, as well as a rheumatologist with recommendations to reduce activity and to contact their office when she was ready for a total hip arthroplasty (THA) [hip replacement]. She requested further physical therapy consultation to be instructed on strategies to slow the degenerative process in hopes of prolonging the time before a possible eventual THA.

Now of course we have no idea what Napoli's condition is. This particular study indicated that physical therapy would probably delay the need for a Total Hip Replacement (the patient was an aerobics instructor, in otherwise good condition). Of note is the fact that she could resume all exercises except for impact exercises like running. She had what was called "cam impingement" which seems to result from a mis-shapen femural head. The article mentions labrum tears as well.

This is being cited here because degenerative hip disease seems to be rare in young adults. It looks like the causes can range from injury, to mis-shapen joints, to cartilage build-up, etc. and that PT helps, but is not a "cure". It also seems to be a pain issue and doctors don't like to put someone on Naproxen for a long period of time (I think).

Is there a real doctor in the house?

#468 redsoxstiff

• 6,657 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I see so many doctors regularly that I am very savvy layman...

We the great unwashed stare into a black box and like the Ancient Greeks form many cogent opinions ...

Ben knows more about Napoli's condition then we do...So what ?...He can maybe narrow the odds of a flare up or whatever but it is a more informed opinion...but an opinion nevertheless...
A one year contract cuts the risk...But in the end we haven 't a solid. Solution for 1st base...

My advice(?) would be to bail out and seek a 1st baseman even if it entails dipping into prospects...

Bridge me no bridges...present us with contending team, as was promised...

#469 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Now of course we have no idea what Napoli's condition is.

You probably could have saved yourself some time and stopped here.

You posted random quotes from a random article about a random person who has hip pain. I'm unclear how this is supposed to help us learn anything about Mike Napoli, his condition, his prognosis, or really anything useful.

#470 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 4,825 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

I dont see the issue, if he goes out and plays 150 games healthy and remotely well he will be a free agent again with slightly diminished health concerns.
If Napoli thinks that his hip is no concern then put a clause in in the hip. If he thinks it is an issue then he can't complain about negotiating. I don't see the problem myself, no doubt Napoli would prefer the 3 year deal but it seems this isn't on the table anywhere or it would be done already. The longer this goes on the more in bed both sides are.

Offer him a two year deal, with a vesting option on health for the third year, and a discount on the second year (say half) if the hip specifically goes before half way through season two.
Ie if hip goes in year one he gets a one and half year deal, if it goes at the end of year two then a two year deal. If he stays healthy he has the original deal. I really don't see why something like this isn't already done. If Napoli won't accept that then he knows his hip is hurt but won't compromise then call his bluff. Who else is signing him for more than that?

#471 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I dont see the issue, if he goes out and plays 150 games healthy and remotely well...

Napoli has only started 485 games in his 7-season MLB career and although he primarily was a catcher, 33.33% of his starts came as a first baseman or designated hitter. I'd be amazed if he played in 150 games since the last four seasons have seen him in 114, 140, 113, 108 games (and not just starts).

#472 EvilEmpire

• 4,639 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I dont see the issue, if he goes out and plays 150 games healthy and remotely well he will be a free agent again with slightly diminished health concerns.
If Napoli thinks that his hip is no concern then put a clause in in the hip. If he thinks it is an issue then he can't complain about negotiating. I don't see the problem myself, no doubt Napoli would prefer the 3 year deal but it seems this isn't on the table anywhere or it would be done already. The longer this goes on the more in bed both sides are.

Offer him a two year deal, with a vesting option on health for the third year, and a discount on the second year (say half) if the hip specifically goes before half way through season two.
Ie if hip goes in year one he gets a one and half year deal, if it goes at the end of year two then a two year deal. If he stays healthy he has the original deal. I really don't see why something like this isn't already done. If Napoli won't accept that then he knows his hip is hurt but won't compromise then call his bluff. Who else is signing him for more than that?

If the Sox offered a deal structured like you suggest that can get Napoli his three years if the hip stays sound, Napoli would be a fool not to take it. It's a fair deal that accounts for the risk the Sox will take. I have a feeling that if the Sox had already offered that, the deal would be done already unless Napoli is an idiot.

If the Sox are trying to turn this into a 1 year deal (as rumored), then I don't blame Napoli for not taking it. If he played 150 games next year and the hip is still good the Sox can give him a qualifying offer that pretty much forces him to take another 1 year deal. Lingering health concerns plus draft pick/slot money compensation would make it hard for him to get a good deal someplace else. That's why I agree with mauf that the Sox might look bad if all that comes to pass. Especially since they've worked through injury concerns and clauses in the past.

#473 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 4,825 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Napoli has only started 485 games in his 7-season MLB career and although he primarily was a catcher, 33.33% of his starts came as a first baseman or designated hitter. I'd be amazed if he played in 150 games since the last four seasons have seen him in 114, 140, 113, 108 games (and not just starts).

Well I was quoting someone else's 150 games comment but ok so 120 whatever, nit pick away though, that was after all the key point.

#474 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

You posted random quotes from a random article about a random person who has hip pain. I'm unclear how this is supposed to help us learn anything about Mike Napoli, his condition, his prognosis, or really anything useful.

Well, some were wondering what type of hip injury could lead to the Red Sox having grave concerns about a long-term contract, as was I. There was no publicity about him having had similar problems last year. I emailed a doctor I know at NIH and he directed me to this study which helps explain some things that could be relevant, the main point being it's unusual to find arthritic hip conditions in young adults and that PT can help, but degeneration is a real problem.

There have been no leaks about what Napoli's condition is, but people are speculating and wondering about 1 year versus 3 years. I was hoping one of our SOSH doctors would chime in and state the study is either relevant or not - or that it could be any number of things that cause concern rather than one likely condition.

#475 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 8,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

If the Sox offered a deal structured like you suggest that can get Napoli his three years if the hip stays sound, Napoli would be a fool not to take it. It's a fair deal that accounts for the risk the Sox will take. I have a feeling that if the Sox had already offered that, the deal would be done already unless Napoli is an idiot.

If the Sox are trying to turn this into a 1 year deal (as rumored), then I don't blame Napoli for not taking it. If he played 150 games next year and the hip is still good the Sox can give him a qualifying offer that pretty much forces him to take another 1 year deal. Lingering health concerns plus draft pick/slot money compensation would make it hard for him to get a good deal someplace else. That's why I agree with mauf that the Sox might look bad if all that comes to pass. Especially since they've worked through injury concerns and clauses in the past.

If Napoli's hip holds up and he hangs around for next season at $13 plus 2014 and 2015 with qualifying offers, he'll actually do better than $39 million over the three-year span. Since nobody from Napoli's side is bitching about the Sox's read on his medicals, and no other teams are even trying to jack the price up for the Sox with counteroffers, that might well be his best possible scenario.

#476 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

There have been no leaks about what Napoli's condition is, but people are speculating and wondering about 1 year versus 3 years. I was hoping one of our SOSH doctors would chime in and state the study is either relevant or not - or that it could be any number of things that cause concern rather than one likely condition.

Which is why I chimed in to say that article and your assessment of it is not particularly relevant.

There are many different issues that could be at play. It very well could be a combination of arthritis, femoral/acetabular impingement, labrum issues, avascular necrosis, or something else. Without more knowledge, its kind of impossible to speculate.

Not to mention you posted a case study about a 28 year old female part time aerobics instructor, not a major league baseball player.

#477 EvilEmpire

• 4,639 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Since nobody from Napoli's side is bitching about the Sox's read on his medicals, and no other teams are even trying to jack the price up for the Sox with counteroffers, that might well be his best possible scenario.

You might be right, but I don't think we'll know until everything gets resolved with the Sox. They're still in negotiations and Napoli's agent is trying to salvage the original deal. I can't see him poisoning the well by bitching about anything or reaching out to other teams unless a multi-year deal is completely off the table.

#478 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,520 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

But nobody had posted in the thread in OVER TWELVE HOURS!!

If it doesn't get posted in for much longer than that, people will DIE, angels will lose their WINGS, and puppydogs will go unadopted!!!

This thread is an awesome test of people's ability to follow the great David Byrne's quote regarding willpower: "When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed. Say something once, why say it again?"

#479 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,335 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

We don't know what is going on now. We do know that, for now, Napoli and his agent have decided that playing their cards close to the vest serves their interest. In the future, they may change their mind -- quite possibly, after Napoli has accepted a shorter and/or less rich deal and has managed to stay healthy for some significant period of time.

Should that happen, I don't think other players and agents are going to spend much time pondering the merits of the allegations. They will hear Napoli and his agent cry foul, they will hear the Sox' FO insist that they acted completely appropriately, and most of them will assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It won't keep anyone from signing with the Sox when we're the highest bidder, but it might color a player's decision if he's evaluating two similar offers.

The risk of this is somewhat greater than it would be if we were dealing with someone like Scott Boras (who represented Drew) and Joe Urbon (Lackey). Those guys wouldn't want to poison relations with a big-market club like the Red Sox. An upstart like Brian Grieper might not care, especially if people start whispering that he didn't get the best possible deal for Napoli.

#480 Joshv02

• 1,415 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

We don't know what is going on now.

And all the rest is emoting without any factual basis.

#481 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Free-agent Mike Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the first deal -- three years, $39 million -- hit a snag, though the new deal isn't done yet and Napoli and Boston are keeping their options open.

There is a belief that there will be a resolution to the situation by next week at the latest.

Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus. The Mariners and Rangers originally had interest.

There is said to have been a concern with a hip that came up in the physical, but league sources suggest Napoli expects to be ready for Opening Day. He is said to have been working out. It's been more than seven weeks since the sides made the original agreement.

Heyman: http://www.cbssports...ed-by-next-week

#482 Lefty on the Mound

• SoSH Member

• 1,318 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

They must be getting close on an agreement (j/k).

You can buy a Napoli Red Sox jersey!

http://www.boston.co...i_has_a_re.html

#483 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Peter Abraham writes that "Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports today that the Red Sox are making progress with Mike Napoli and should have him signed by next week."
link: http://www.boston.co...as/extra_bases/

Also in that column: Vincente Padilla has signed a one-year, $3.25 million deal with the SoftBank Hawks [Japan] according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com.

#484 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,565 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Says MBLTR:

3:49pm: The Red Sox and Napoli are making significant progress toward a one-year agreement, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter).

Note the bolded.

#485 SoxJox

• 1,069 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Says MBLTR:

Note the bolded.

At this rate, we'll see a 6-month agreement soon.

#486 HriniakPosterChild

• 3,697 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

We only need him until rosters expand in September, right?

#487 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Well, we're not getting Mike Morse:

Jon MorosiVerified@jonmorosi

#Mariners close to acquiring Mike Morse, sources tell @Ken_Rosenthal and me.

Threeway deal:

Jon Morosi@jonmorosi
The three-team deal involving Mariners, Nats and A's is done, source confirms.

Edited by MartyBarrettMVP, 16 January 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#488 Jordu

• 2,029 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Peter Abraham writes that "Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports today that the Red Sox are making progress with Mike Napoli and should have him signed by next week."
link: http://www.boston.co...as/extra_bases/

Also in that column: Vincente Padilla has signed a one-year, $3.25 million deal with the SoftBank Hawks [Japan] according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com.

Great reporting, Pete. Way to work those sources. I guess being the Globe's beat reporter in the off-season is just a matter of keeping us with your RSS feeds.

#489 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,275 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Give Pete a break, he's probably on vacation.

#490 4-6-3

• 1,675 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well, we're not getting Mike Morse:

Threeway deal:

This gives the M's Morales, Morse and Smoak as firstbase options (although Morse could be in their OF) and Carp could be an option for them as well at 1B. I'm guessing Smoak is heading some where soon although Carp would be a better lefthanded 1B/OF option for the Sox as a Napoli/Gomes backup.

The Mariners gave up Jaso so would they take Salty?

Edited by 4-6-3, 16 January 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#491 HriniakPosterChild

• 3,697 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The inimitable Dave Cameron's view:

Mariners Do Stupid Thing

The Mariners have just completed a three team trade that sends John Jaso to Oakland, with the team getting Mike Morse back in exchange. Yes, you read that correctly, the Mariners traded John Jaso for Mike Morse.

This is Bavasi-esque. This is an awful decision, trading a good player for an older, worse, more expensive, less healthy player with two fewer years of team control. This is what happens you focus intently on acquiring a type of thing — in this case, a “power bat” — and don’t understand the value of the assets you have. This is what happens when you have a manager who doesn’t know how to evaluate talent, and sees John Jaso as nothing more than a backup catcher.

#492 Edelpeddle

• 273 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Give Pete a break, he's probably on vacation.

Poor guy only gets 19 off days a year.

This gives the M's Morales, Morse and Smoak as firstbase options (although Morse could be in their OF) and Carp could be an option for them as well at 1B. I'm guessing Smoak is heading some where soon although Carp would be a better lefthanded 1B/OF option for the Sox as a Napoli/Gomes backup.

Fully understand the Red Sox not pulling the trigger on Morse if the Nationals wanted a top pitching prospect. The alternatives to Napoli are dwindling and he's reportedly talking to other teams. I'm still not crazy about the idea of the Red Sox acquiring him, but it might be even worse if we try to do this half-assed bridge year plan and don't get the piece it centers around.

Edited by Edelpeddle, 16 January 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#493 pjr

• 454 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

FWIW,

Jen Royle@Jen_Royle
Napoli deal should get finalized. There WERE breaks in talks for many reasons and Sox obviously looked elsewhere during that time...

Jen Royle@Jen_Royle
Napoli deal would be one year. If he's healthy and he rakes, an extension should be a no-brainer. After all, this is the guy they wanted

#494 HriniakPosterChild

• 3,697 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Right, Jen.

If the medicals say the man's hip can fall apart at any time, the Sox will be ready to give him multiple years if he survives one season. (And rakes.)

#495 BCsMightyJoeYoung

• 2,680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Right, Jen.

If the medicals say the man's hip can fall apart at any time, the Sox will be ready to give him multiple years if he survives one season. (And rakes.)

There's nothing in that report that says a multiple year deal ..merely an extension ..

If he's healthy and rakes they would probably be inclined to make a Qualifying Offer

#496 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,134 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Right, Jen.

Try following her on twitter. She's an absolute moron. All over the place on everything.

#497 4-6-3

• 1,675 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Looks like Abraham has the same idea:
@@GlobeSox

#498 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,850 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

The sides are now working on a one-year contract, sources with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.com's Jim Bowden, and there were indications that the deal will be for less than the $13 million average annual value of the original agreement.

Napoli's agent, Brian Grieper, who spoke by phone Wednesday night, would not discuss the specifics of the deal other than to state that the sides were still in negotiations.

"I think it's reasonable that Mike will come to a decision at some point next week," Grieper said.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8851039/mike-napoli-boston-red-sox-working-one-year-deal-sources-say

#499 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,565 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Wait, it's going to be for one year and less than the original AAV?

That doesn't even make any sense. If they have that little confidence in his ability to perform up to his established standard even for one year, they should have just walked away.

#500 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,783 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Wait, it's going to be for one year and less than the original AAV?

That doesn't even make any sense. If they have that little confidence in his ability to perform up to his established standard even for one year, they should have just walked away.

And signed who? A pretty solid prospect got traded for Mike Morse, and he has risks of his own. Nick Swisher got 4 years with a 5th year vesting option.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)