Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

NY re-signs Pettitte

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Buster OlneyVerified@Buster_ESPN

The Yankees have finished the Andy Pettitte deal, for a salary of $12 million, plus award bonuses.

#2 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,823 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Why does his salary keep going up?

#3 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

It was a lot higher from 2006-2008, but right now all agents and players know that NY will pay more to get guys on one year deals. He turned down $10M last year (before changing his mind and taking $2.5M a couple of months later, after NY had already spent that money elsewhere) and that was after a year off, he was great last year when he was healthy.

#4 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,920 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Pettitte and Rivera are never going to go away, are they?

#5 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,823 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

His 2006 salary was under his 3 year deal with Houston. Yeah he made more in 2007 and 2008, but that was 5 and 6 years ago. Now he's going to be 41 and they keep paying him more. Not that it matters much to them but I just find it curious.

#6 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I think this will be the last year for both, Jeter is going to be the interesting one after this year.

#7 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,823 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I love the Jon Abbey crystal ball. Can you give me the Powerball numbers?

#8 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Check my track record for Yankee predictions, I think I've been pretty accurate. The reason I'm pretty sure about Rivera/Pettitte calling it quits after this year is the self-imposed $189M cap, those guys can't fit under that and I doubt either will play for a different team. Rivera might have a few years ago, but I doubt he would at 44+,

And I did say "I think". :)

#9 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,372 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Don't ask. You're more likely to be born with 11 fingers, or become President, than you are of winning tonight's jackpot:

http://usnews.nbcnew...ll-jackpot?lite

#10 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well, that's why he asked for the numbers in advance.

#11 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,603 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Another year of Yankees fans online forgetting how many Ts are in Pettitte. Rejoice.

#12 abty

• PipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

#13 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,823 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Don't ask. You're more likely to be born with 11 fingers, or become President, than you are of winning tonight's jackpot:

http://usnews.nbcnew...ll-jackpot?lite

Some of these odds don't pass the smell test.

The next time you rush across the street as the light is about to change, keep in mind it's much likelier you'll die as a pedestrian than win the jackpot: 1 in 701

Really? That seems a tad high.

Your odds of becoming a U.S. president are 1 in 10 million, according to this article. Mitt Romney obviously found those odds attractive enough.

My personal odds are zero, but in general wouldn't the math suggest this is way too high?

I'll still take JA's crystal ball any day.

Edited by glennhoffmania, 30 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#14 In my lifetime

• 414 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Check my track record for Yankee predictions, I think I've been pretty accurate. The reason I'm pretty sure about Rivera/Pettitte calling it quits after this year is the self-imposed $189M cap, those guys can't fit under that and I doubt either will play for a different team. Rivera might have a few years ago, but I doubt he would at 44+,

And I did say "I think". :)

Despite their proclamations, unless they pull off a Punto type trade it seems unlikely the Yankees are going to stay under 189M in 2014. That's ~ 178M for salary, the rest being medical, benefits, etc. Assuming they resign Jeter, they are starting off with 4 (ARod, CC, Tex, Jeter) of the 40 man roster and have already used 90 Million. Add arb 3 eligible, Gardner at 5M, Robertson at 3 + Arb 1 Nova and Pineda at an average of 1.0 and the Yankees will stand at 100M for 8 players. Of course, it is not impossible, just not likely IMO.

#15 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

It looks right now like staying under for 2014 is their primary goal over fielding a competitive team that year (probably a defensible position in the big picture), so in that case, it will be no problem to do so.

#16 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 5,228 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Do any yanks fans think that seems steep? I mean he hasn't pitched a full season in years and he's 41 now? I mean that's old for normal players let alone pitchers. Although I have no idea what hgh does for longevity of course.

I men it's the yanks and it's one year so you can't argue too much but it seems not low to me.
Man the team looks just old from here, jeter, mo, PettiTTe, kuroda, arod. No catcher teix ageing. No swisher. What's the plan here?

Edit: I guess everything so far seems to be kicking the can down the road is what I mean

Edited by LondonSox, 02 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#17 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,765 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think this will be the last year for both, Jeter is going to be the interesting one after this year.

Dude picked the absolute worst possible time to have a down year. He'd be in year 3 of a 72-year, $127B deal had he just put up an average season in 2010.

#18 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,372 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Do any yanks fans think that seems steep? I mean he hasn't pitched a full season in years and he's 41 now? I mean that's old for normal players let alone pitchers. Although I have no idea what hgh does for longevity of course.

I men it's the yanks and it's one year so you can't argue too much but it seems not low to me.
Man the team looks just old from here, jeter, mo, PettiTTe, kuroda, arod. No catcher teix ageing. No swisher. What's the plan here?

Edit: I guess everything so far seems to be kicking the can down the road is what I mean

I have no problem with Pettitte getting this money. He has meant an awful lot to the franchise and this is obviously the last year of largesse before they drop down to $178M and probably punt the 2014 season.

In the big picture, the Yanks are going for it one last time in 2013 with the old guys, then they start to integrate a few elite farm players in 2014 and 2015. A-Rod will continue choking them through 2017 although his salary does drop to $21M annually in 2015 and $20M the final two years (not counting his milestone bonuses).

I don't think A-Rod is done yet but he needs to shorten his swing. Jeter's decline should be speeded up by the ankle injury. Teix (signed thru 2016) and Granderson might benefit from not trying to pull everything. Seems the new YS with its short porch has a negative impact on batting average because lefty sluggers try to go deep on just about every pitch.

It's an interesting few years coming up for the Yankees and their fan base. They print money with YES yet daily attendance in the new park is declining. And it doesn't even matter because the most important revenue source comes from TV contracts. The Yankees are becoming a studio team of aging stars. It's certainly not as fun as 1996.

Edited by terrynever, 02 December 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#19 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Dude picked the absolute worst possible time to have a down year. He'd be in year 3 of a 72-year, $127B deal had he just put up an average season in 2010.

No kidding, I talked about that a bunch at the time. Also that was still the previous CBA, that might look uglier than A-Rod's deal right now.

#20 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,621 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

What's the plan here?

To not commit any more money to 2014, mission accomplished so far.

Yes, and they're quite lucky it's that, as Kuroda easily could have gotten multiple years elsewhere. But the pitching staff has possible internal upgrades in Pineda (mid-year), Aardsma and my boy Montgomery. This is a very good pitching staff top to bottom on paper as of now.

The lineup is ugly though, and it doesn't seem like there's much out there to improve on last year's holes (Ichiro, Ibanez, maybe even Chavez again). Olney is excited today that they can maybe get Nate Schierholz, and I kind of think even he might be out of their current price range (!!!). C and RF will almost certainly be decidedly worse offensively in the end, the real question will be how many ticket sales will they lose over the next two years while they're saving nine figures (eventually, I believe) in luxury tax payments.