Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

ESPN acquires FBS Playoff rights for 12 years

11 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38320 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

No word on money yet

Press Release

ESPN and the group that will administer the new college football playoff have reached an agreement in principle to present the playoff games and selected other games for 12 years on an exclusive basis across ESPN’s platforms. The agreement will begin after the 2014 regular season (including January 2015) and continue through after the 2025 regular season (January 2026).

It includes the national championship game and semifinals, as well as other bowl games that will be part of the rotation to host the semifinals. Combined with previous deals for the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowls, the arrangement would provide ESPN with rights to all games that are involved in the new post-season arrangement to determine a college football national champion.

ESPN would feature the games on ESPN, ESPN Radio, ESPN Mobile TV and via WatchESPN on computers, smartphones, tablets and Xbox LIVE. Additionally, ESPN would have the rights to distribute the matchups on ESPN 3D, ESPN Deportes and around the world via ESPN International.

Specifically, the arrangement would provide ESPN with rights to:

Championship Games: Coverage of each year’s championship game pitting the semifinal winners against each other on the Monday at least seven days after the semifinals at sites to be determined by the commissioners

Semifinals: Coverage of two semifinals each year matching four seeded teams identified by a selection committee to be named by the commissioners. The semifinals will be rotated among six bowl games consisting of three “contract bowls” and three “host bowls” to be determined by the commissioners.

Additional bowls in the playoff format: Coverage of all remaining games from the sites of the three “host bowls” during the years those bowls are not semifinal sites. Note: ESPN had previously secured the rights to the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowl games for the same 12-year period (through January 2026).

Related programming: Exclusive rights to branded content throughout each season, including the official team-selection announcement.

This thread may be better served in the media forum at some point, but with all the machinations and volatility going on with conference realignment and broadcasting arrangements I figured it would be best to keep it bridged with the College Sports discussion.

#2 Dan Murfman

• 2390 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I bet are cable bills are going up

#3 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25618 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

With the noises that FOX was looking for a way to create an ESPN alternative, this is a very important get

#4 berniecarbo1

• 1086 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

For all the good ESPN does in providing game coverage, it is also a major reason college football is so out of control. I am sick of ESPN at this point. I'm tired of Lee Corso and the human interst story of the week and the endless talking heads....it is ruining college football!!

#5 PC Drunken Friar

• 3526 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

I wonder if they have sort of an out clause should there eventually be like 4 super conferences of 16 teams that break away from the NCAA

#6 mabrowndog

• 38320 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel
$467M per year. RT @Bachscore: ESPN Deal for College Football Playoff worth $5.6 billion: online.wsj.com/article

#7 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12428 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

This blows because it means Berman at center stage.

#8 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8132 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Berman would most likely be doing NFL, which goes on at the same time.

CFB is Fowler's arena, and he's about as good and professional as you can get.

#9 mabrowndog

• 38320 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Berman would most likely be doing NFL, which goes on at the same time.

CFB is Fowler's arena, and he's about as good and professional as you can get.

Yes, and yes. Plus Herbstreit's one of the best analysts out there.

The thing many CFB fans can look forward to, especially those who loathe Musberger, is ESPN making a play for Gus Johnson once his FOX contract is up (Anyone know how long he's signed for? My Googling efforts came up snake-eyes on that).

#10 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11327 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

People can shit on ESPN all you want, but IMO getting on them for their CFB coverage is out of bounds. They offer endless coverage and top notch commentary. This is good for CFB IMO because at least they'll pimp the product day and night, which might not be the case if someone else got their mits on this package.

Edited by Rocco Graziosa, 21 November 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#11 mabrowndog

• 38320 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

People can shit on ESPN all you want, but IMO getting on them for their CFB coverage is out of bounds. They offer endless coverage and top notch commentary.

While I agree that college football (and hoops) are the two sports ESPN covers best and most thoroughly, some of their analysis and programming leaves a lot to be desired. The stupid courtroom sessions with Rece Davis presiding over Lou Holtz & Mark May is just one example. The "locker room pep talk" is another. Trevor Matich is the king of worthless cliche regurgitation. Holtz in particular just needs to go away.

But yeah, this package could be in far worse hands.

#12 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12428 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

ESPN generally covers college football very well.

However, Berman manages to push his nose under the tent of every marquee event that ESPN has, whether he knows anything about the sport or not. So I will be very pleasantly surprised if they manage to keep him away from this one.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users