Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Yankees re-sign Kuroda

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,606 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Buster Olney:

Sources: The Yankees have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with Hiroki Kuroda.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/271030518890500096
link to tweet
link to tweet

#2 zapo

• 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

1y @ $15 Mil

#3 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 8,948 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Big disappointment for the Sox who, for once, had deeper pockets (we're told) than NY. Kuroda had the perfect attributes to fit the sox' needs: proven AL East starter seeking a short-term deal.

MFYs being the MFYs.

#4 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,670 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Big disappointment for the Sox who, for once, had deeper pockets (we're told) than NY. Kuroda had the perfect attributes to fit the sox' needs: proven AL East starter seeking a short-term deal.

MFYs being the MFYs.

You realize that Kuroda has said it was either NYY or Japan according to reports?

#5 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,373 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

You realize that Kuroda has said it was either NYY or Japan according to reports?

There were mixed reports on that, but doesn't matter now.

This is huge for a few reasons: it gives them slightly more leverage with Pettitte, it allows them to maintain the 2014 $189M goal a bit longer, and I'm hoping it may mean that Russell Martin has a solid chance of coming back, as I know he had/has a lot to do with Kuroda's comfort level in NY given their long history together.

CC/Kuroda/Hughes/Nova/Phelps with Warren as the 6th guy and Pineda hopefully coming back midseason sometime is definitely workable, Pettitte would obviously make that much stronger by bumping Nova or Phelps. Either way, NY's pitching staff is close to set, waiting on Pettitte and Rivera.

#6 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 8,948 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm not laying blame. Just saying it's a big disappointment given that he fit our needs in so many respects.

Sox have a pile of money, but there aren't many attractive targets. Now there is one fewer.

#7 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,130 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

One fewer that had zero chance of signing with the Red Sox. Move on, dude.

#8 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,766 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Good signing for the mfy's but the guy will be 38 next February so the chances of injury and/or decline are not insignificant.

#9 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,668 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Any one-year deal is a good deal.

#10 StuckOnYouk

• 2,062 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

too bad, but a couple of good things about this.

1) The Yankees don't get a compensation pick after the 1st round, always a good thing.
2) He's due to regress
3) this is the last offseason the Yankees can pull this stuff if they aren't lying through their teeth about staying under the "cap". I still think they are incapable of competing for the division for the next 5 years or so if they are going to stay under the cap starting in 2014. too old, too many huge contracts esp once Cano signs (or leaves).

#11 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 5,854 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

too bad, but a couple of good things about this.

1) The Yankees don't get a compensation pick after the 1st round, always a good thing.
2) He's due to regress
3) this is the last offseason the Yankees can pull this stuff if they aren't lying through their teeth about staying under the "cap". I still think they are incapable of competing for the division for the next 5 years or so if they are going to stay under the cap starting in 2014. too old, too many huge contracts esp once Cano signs (or leaves).

Even bigger is that the Sox don't give up their second round pick for a 38 year old guy on a one year deal. Were they one SP away from being a serious contender, sure, you consider it. But given the current situation, they never should have even called him.

#12 EvilEmpire

• 4,684 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Abbey or Wingack will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the plan is to get under the cap for 2014 in order to reset the clock. I don't think they are necessarily looking to stay under for the next handful of years or so. That might be reasonable after the ARod deal is over.

#13 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,373 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Right, exactly, after that they will go back to business as usual if they think it makes sense. If they get under for one year, it resets the tax rate going forward. Also as of now there are a bunch of fantastic FAs scheduled to hit the market after 2014, including Verlander, Kershaw and King Felix.

Not surprisingly, Kuroda did actually leave money on the table to come back to NY:

http://espn.go.com/n...ess-stay-source

#14 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,362 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Of course it's not surprising, every report about a player signing with the Yankees includes the claim that the player left money on the table.

#15 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Of course it's not surprising, every report about a player signing with the Yankees includes the claim that the player left money on the table.

According to MLB Network, Kuroda has left money on the table with each contract he has signed in the U.S. He's an very unusual person, according to all reports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users