Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Patriots at Jets--Thanksgiving Night

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1496 replies to this topic

#1451 dynomite

• 4,591 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

I thought he gave one up to make Woman?

+1

Let's see. The Pats just curb-stomped the Jets without Gronk, Mankin and Jones (and with some ass-kicking D). They own the division. And now they get a mini-bye to rest up and heal.

I'm O.K. with this.

+1,000,000

#1452 aksoxfan

• 2,220 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

I like Rex; especially after a beatdown like tonight's.

#1453 scottyno

• 2,905 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Since the pats lost to seattle to fall to 3-3 they've won 5 in a row and are averaging 43.8 points per game

#1454 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,550 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

One prediction: the PFT "quarterbacks' facebook dialogue" will be pretty classic next week.

#1455 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,711 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gXeLi-nAHyw

You win. All the internets. ALL OF THEM

#1456 Grimace-HS

• 621 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Awesome...the perfect ending to a perfect night.

Edit: With special thanks to MJM's youtube link.

Edited by Grimace-HS, 23 November 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#1457 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,364 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

If Tebow has 2 broken ribs, why wasn't McElroy activated then? Idiotic.

The Jets still have a bug up their ass about McElroy trashing management and coaches during a live radio interview a while back.

Still idiotic, of course.

#1458 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Just checking in after Thanksgiving at a friend's house. Awesome game, awesome. And yet I still wasn't comfortable at halftime. Don't know if that is an indictment of the team or of me... but awesome, awesome game.

#1459 LMontro

• 630 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

It sucks that this game had to end. What a great way to unwind after stuffing your face.

#1460 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,424 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Looking at the standings, the Pats could be the first team to clinch a playoff spot this year.

#1461 Joe D Reid

• 2,622 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

That was a fun bonus Thursday episode of The Walking Dead last night. Sure, it started slow-- too much introductory exposition in the first 15 or so minutes. But everything after that was pure zombie-splattering awesomeness.

#1462 vadertime

• 955 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

With the recent offensive output the Pats are now on pace to break their own record for most points scored in a season.

#1463 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6,849 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Looking at the standings, the Pats could be the first team to clinch a playoff spot this year.

A win against Miami next week clinches the division if Buffalo loses one of their next 2.

#1464 doc

• 2,629 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

That was a fun bonus Thursday episode of The Walking Dead last night. Sure, it started slow-- too much introductory exposition in the first 15 or so minutes. But everything after that was pure zombie-splattering awesomeness.

I spent an hour or so last night looking for that and wondering why my DVR didn't pick it up, I seem smarter when I haven't been drinking.

#1465 54thMA

• 1,654 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Without a doubt the most hysterical thing I've ever seen on the internet, as I watched this clip numerous times and was rolling on the floor laughing, my girlfriend came downstairs asking "What's so funny, let me guess; a three stooges episode?", to which I replied, "Close; it's actually a new show called the fifty three stooges."

#1466 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,263 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Just a glorious night at 16W Stadium.

With the one exception of Edelman's injury, it was giddiness all around.

The schadenfreude highlight in the stands? Overhearing a long discussion behind me centering around which team the two "Jets fans" should PERMANENTLY adopt. They settled on the Bears. After all, Chicago is a cool town and you get to call them "Da Bears." I'm not making this up.

True, Fireman Ed leaving early, deleting his twitter account and perhaps also renouncing the Jets is even better.

What a wonderful debacle.

#1467 lostjumper

• 934 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I just reread the entire game thread this morning. Its a wonderful wonderful thread. Can we pin it or something?

#1468 Turrable

• 2,209 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Posted Image

#1469 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,540 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...ball/index.html

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1206779

http://www.nypost.co...mkFP3tsskGw6n3M

... and we can go on and on

Please give us occasion to add the sanctimonious William Rhoden to this list ... and Easterbrook ... and ESPN's Sports Reporters ... and Borgie ... and our own Felger and Mazz, who had so much Jets love, with the franchise so cutting edge clever and Rex so cuddly and cute

#1470 amarshal2

• 2,710 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I spent an hour or so last night looking for that and wondering why my DVR didn't pick it up, I seem smarter when I haven't been drinking.

Thank you for publicly admitting that. Hilarious!

#1471 kartvelo

• 3,788 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...ball/index.html

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1206779

http://www.nypost.co...mkFP3tsskGw6n3M

... and we can go on and on

Please give us occasion to add the sanctimonious William Rhoden to this list ... and Easterbrook ... and ESPN's Sports Reporters ... and Borgie ... and our own Felger and Mazz, who had so much Jets love, with the franchise so cutting edge clever and Rex so cuddly and cute

This line in the Post article is hilarious:

Sanchez drove his Jets inexorably down the field for a 32-yard Nick Folk field goal that cut the deficit to 35-3 with two seconds left before intermission.

#1472 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6,849 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

This line in the Post article is hilarious:

Sanchez drove his Jets inexorably down the field for a 32-yard Nick Folk field goal that cut the deficit to 35-3 with two seconds left before intermission.

That might have actually been my favorite sequence last night - the Jets went for it on 4th down, converted, then spiked it and kicked the field goal without taking a single shot to the end zone. Why even go for the 4th down if you're just going to kick the field goal anyway? It perfectly encapsulated the Jets offensive ineptitude.

#1473 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,593 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

So random rules question that has popped up in my mind:

I was racking my brain trying to remember the last time I'd seen the kicking team on a kickoff return a fumble for a TD. I couldn't come up with one, so I went on to punts. We haven't seen any punts returned for TD's because you can't advance a muffed punt, the play is dead as soon as the kicking team recovers the ball. So, why the difference? Why can you advance a kickoff, not a punt? is it because the receiving team has all 11 guys in the vicinity of where the kick is fielded, as opposed to a punt where you've got 2 or 3 guys back where the kick is received, and the other 8 or 9 guys chasing backwards towards that spot?

#1474 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42,671 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

You can't advance muffs. This was a fumble, and that's the difference. I don't really understand the theory...I guess, in the case muffs, the receiving team never possesses the ball, but the punting team also gives away possession once the ball is kicked. I suppose that makes the ball in a vortex of dispossession and therefore unreturnable. The same is the case with an onsides kick.

Last night, McKnight had possession and fumbled. If a punt returner does the same, it can be also returned.

#1475 54thMA

• 1,654 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

and our own Felger and Mazz, who had so much Jets love, with the franchise so cutting edge clever and Rex so cuddly and cute

1,000 times this.

Fuck Felger and his smarmy fucking comments about how the Jets do things right, the Patriots don't, the Jets are a cutting edge franchise and their coach is the real deal.

He soiled himself in 2010 when they beat the then 14-2 Patriots at home, kept going on and on about three strait playoff game losses.

Can't wait to hear the excuse machine when he returns on Monday.

#1476 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,616 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

And let's not forget this glorious image from last night...

Posted Image

#1477 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

1,000 times this.

Fuck Felger and his smarmy fucking comments about how the Jets do things right, the Patriots don't, the Jets are a cutting edge franchise and their coach is the real deal.

He soiled himself in 2010 when they beat the then 14-2 Patriots at home, kept going on and on about three strait playoff game losses.

Can't wait to hear the excuse machine when he returns on Monday.

As a sports radio host it's his job to peddle that shit. Not saying he doesn't believe some of it, but I generally assume he's just trolling for listeners.

#1478 54thMA

• 1,654 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

As a sports radio host it's his job to peddle that shit. Not saying he doesn't believe some of it, but I generally assume he's just trolling for listeners.

He's actually on today, I guess he doesn't take 200 days off a year like the other blowhard who does the afternoon show on EEI.

He's been talking for two hours about what to name the Sanchez fumble, nothing about being wrong with his views on how the Jets are better than the Patriots.

He did say the rivalry is over for now.

#1479 Briz

• 295 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

http://deadspin.com/...dressed-or-both

More deliciousness

#1480 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,540 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

He's actually on today, I guess he doesn't take 200 days off a year like the other blowhard who does the afternoon show on EEI.

He's been talking for two hours about what to name the Sanchez fumble, nothing about being wrong with his views on how the Jets are better than the Patriots.

He did say the rivalry is over for now.

It was never a rivalry in anything resembling the true sense of that word. It was a media construct -- ESPN and Felgie.

#1481 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,550 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

That was not the first time in recent memory that a Jets lineman's ass caused a fumble by his own team.

#1482 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,550 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

It was never a rivalry in anything resembling the true sense of that word. It was a media construct -- ESPN and Felgie.

...and I agree. Our rivals have been the Colts, since about 2002 or 2003. And to a lesser extent, the Steelers. Both teams have stood in our way, and we in theirs, numerous times over the last decade, and there's been a lot of fan animus and trash talk, not to mention mutual respect. The Jets beat us in a playoff game and deserve credit for that, but they're basically just another team in our division.

#1483 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,676 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Just checking in after Thanksgiving at a friend's house. Awesome game, awesome. And yet I still wasn't comfortable at halftime. Don't know if that is an indictment of the team or of me... but awesome, awesome game.

We report, you decide:

Since the pats lost to seattle to fall to 3-3 they've won 5 in a row and are averaging 43.8 points per game

Without a doubt the most hysterical thing I've ever seen on the internet, as I watched this clip numerous times and was rolling on the floor laughing, my girlfriend came downstairs asking "What's so funny, let me guess; a three stooges episode?", to which I replied, "Close; it's actually a new show called the fifty three stooges."

In the jetsimpossible video, as awesome as the Sanchez butt-slam-fumble is, the TD to Welker where #26 on the Jets actually knows where Welker is and still won't break zone despite there being nobody to pick up might be a greater sign of ineptitude. At least in the case of Sanchez, Wilfork was owning the lineman (Moore?) and shoved him back into him.

You can't advance muffs. This was a fumble, and that's the difference. I don't really understand the theory...I guess, in the case muffs, the receiving team never possesses the ball, but the punting team also gives away possession once the ball is kicked. I suppose that makes the ball in a vortex of dispossession and therefore unreturnable. The same is the case with an onsides kick.

I think the idea is that the opposing team doesn't gain possession until they actually gain possession. That is to say, the punting team is running the play and can kick it and down it, and the ball advances that far and then the other team gains possession; the punt is still a play under the possession of the punting team. Only if the receiving team actually receives it do they gain possession, and a muffed reception does not count as possession. I don't think kickoffs are considered a possession/first down situation, though. For example, you can't run a fake kickoff and then do something different.

#1484 Curtis Pride

• 810 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thinking about the play that ended with a fumble-by-OL-butt, I'm just astonished at Mark Sanchez's poor decision-making. Could he have looked for an open receiver to throw the ball? Could he have scrambled to the left or the right and either found an open receiver and thrown to him, or found enough room to rush for a short gain, or thrown an incomplete pass? It was only the second quarter, and a 14-0 deficit wouldn't be insurmountable at the time, so wouldn't it be better to buy yourself some time to make a play happen? Running it up the middle seemed like he gave up on the play and was going to at least minimize the loss of yardage. And then if he was going to run it in, why didn't he make sure he held onto the football? I could understand fumbling the ball while being tackled, but he wasn't. He was going into a slide when he slammed into Moore's butt and lost the ball. Why slide there?

Well, I'm going to give thanks for the Jets picking Mark Sanchez to be their franchise quarterback, because that sequence was surreal. I think I'll watch the videos again. They still crack me up.

#1485 Turrable

• 2,209 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

I mean, think about that thought process. "Okay. run play. I'll jusOH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT"

Chances are he had no clue which receivers were where and had to make a split-second decision in a situation where he's used to having some idea of what his main options are. The smart play is to get down, but there's something so self-conscious about his game; you feel like he didn't want to look stupid, so he forced the ball forward to not take a loss. He said afterwards that it was bad luck, but that's bullshit. He should know better than to run straight into a lineman.

#1486 SWHB

• 150 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Sanchez is terrible, but you basically can't ever throw on a busted running play because linemen will be downfield. Having said that, his attempted run was pretty pathetic.

#1487 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,658 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Really, when you break it down, the run ahead was almost the only thing Sanchez did right on that play.

Act I - trying to hand off the ball to nobody - Bad
Act II - running up the middle - Good
Act III - slip like Bugs Bunny got you with a banana peel - Bad
Act IV - smash your face into a lineman's ass - Bad
Act V - fumble - Bad
Act VI - bury face in the ground in abject despair - Good

Running it up the middle, or towards the hole where the play is supposed to go, is pretty much QB 101 stuff. After the play is blown they're not looking to do anything more than minimize the damage.

#1488 epraz

• SoSH Member

• 5,312 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I mean, think about that thought process. "Okay. run play. I'll jusOH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT"

Chances are he had no clue which receivers were where and had to make a split-second decision in a situation where he's used to having some idea of what his main options are. The smart play is to get down, but there's something so self-conscious about his game; you feel like he didn't want to look stupid, so he forced the ball forward to not take a loss. He said afterwards that it was bad luck, but that's bullshit. He should know better than to run straight into a lineman.

Give the confusion in the backfield, who knows what play the receivers thought they were running, but if they, like Mark, thought it was a run, they'd be engaged in their blocks.

#1489 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,020 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

As someone who has followed the Pats on a game-by-game basis since 1963, for the first twenty years of the franchise, if you asked any Patriots fan who are rival was, they would have immediately said, "Buffalo."

#1490 Turrable

• 2,209 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

#1491 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,387 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

For my part, I want to minimize Buttfacegate as much as possible because it reduces the odds the Jets stick with Sanchez for a few more years. Rex is doing his usual thing of doing everything he can to deflect attention away, but NYC is not a town that deals well with humiliation.

Edited by Van Everyman, 24 November 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#1492 octoberaroma

• 320 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Sanchez is terrible, but you basically can't ever throw on a busted running play because linemen will be downfield. Having said that, his attempted run was pretty pathetic.

It's gotta be the one of the funniest plays ever. Basically, Sanchez got tackled by somebody's ass.

#1493 Poulsonator

• 311 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I apologize for being late to this party, but lots of traveling got in the way this week. I've had this picture for over 4 years now (taken with my phone during a game back in September of '08), and for some dumb reason, never shared with SoSH. I love you guys, and this seems more appropriate now than ever:

Posted Image

#1494 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 21,508 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

In some alternate universe, Sanchez has on a Pats uniform :barf:, the Pats have the ball, that's called going high/low, and there's a chop block call on the play.

#1495 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,124 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

It's gotta be the one of the funniest plays ever. Basically, Sanchez got tackled by somebody's ass.

He didn't even get tackled by someone's ass, he tackled himself, causing a fumble using someone else's ass.

#1496 G String Quartet

• bignomarfan

• 2,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Still have a bad feeling?

Ah.....no. Oops.

#1497 kartvelo

• 3,788 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

...and I agree. Our rivals have been the Colts, since about 2002 or 2003. And to a lesser extent, the Steelers. Both teams have stood in our way, and we in theirs, numerous times over the last decade, and there's been a lot of fan animus and trash talk, not to mention mutual respect. The Jets beat us in a playoff game and deserve credit for that, but they're basically just another team in our division.

Giants?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users