Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

I think Jeff Green may have popped his Badass cherry last night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,918 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

KG's advice may be working

"Jeff's a really, really nice guy," Garnett said. "Some nights, you just gotta be an (expletive)."

Hopefully last night's dunk will be the start of a new, more aggressive Green.

#2 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,102 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

#3 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,918 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIj8VmGbJrQ

Love Rondo's one-legged hopping celebration. Love KG's "That's what I'm talkin' about." pep talk. Love that it was over Al Jeff.

.....And still have no idea why he got a tech.

Weird to say for a guy who's been struggling but he needs more playing time. The more he plays the more comfortable he seems. I guess that's because he has always been a high volume minutes guy in the past.

#4 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I can only hope the peer pressure continues, and he transforms into half the badass KG was/is.

#5 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

.....And still have no idea why he got a tech.

Yeah. Is "staring" a technical offense now? Does Kobe have eleventy-four techs already? They should protest this with a bunch of evidence of previous worse incidents against the Celts that have not resulted in techs.

#6 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

"Some nights you gotta be a (expletive)," said Garnett.

A fuck?

#7 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

"Some nights you gotta be a (expletive)," said Garnett.

A fuck?

You got the quote one letter off. It was "an asshole".

#8 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Green can run the wing, rebound and defend, and he has the skills to do all of these. Some guys can come into a new system and play right away, some guys need a year or two to really adjust and to start reaching their potential. I thought Green didn't get enough sympathy for missing an entire season. Guys were destroying him after 3 games after sitting out for a year.

Still don't understand the tech. Staring? Really? Blake Griffin does that after every slam. It's not like he did this:

#9 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Green can run the wing, rebound and defend, and he has the skills to do all of these. Some guys can come into a new system and play right away, some guys need a year or two to really adjust and to start reaching their potential. I thought Green didn't get enough sympathy for missing an entire season. Guys were destroying him after 3 games after sitting out for a year.

It's not an adjustment issue. Jeff Green was no good in Oklahoma City either. It's not a Lamar Odom situaiton or something, where a previously productive player is struggling.

#10 fairlee76

• 1,603 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Your clip forced me to spend 10 minutes re-living Kemp's reign (heh) on YouTube. Thank you.

My favorite one of all time is where he absolutely posterizes Chris Gatling. And Gatling shakes his hand right after as if to say "holy shit, you got me son."

Apologies for thread highjack.

Edited by fairlee76, 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#11 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

It's not an adjustment issue. Jeff Green was no good in Oklahoma City either. It's not a Lamar Odom situaiton or something, where a previously productive player is struggling.

I agree that he's not worth it, but he does bring some value. I mean, 14-15 PTS/36 isn't really "no good" territory - it's on the high side for a 3 backup, no? He is capable of spreading the offensive floor and isn't bad guarding the 3 or an undersized 4. I think he should rarely (if ever) play at 4, but he can manage against undersized/weak lineups. Again, not worth the money, but not worthless.

#12 fairlee76

• 1,603 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I agree that he's not worth it, but he does bring some value. I mean, 14-15 PTS/36 isn't really "no good" territory - it's on the high side for a 3 backup, no? He is capable of spreading the offensive floor and isn't bad guarding the 3 or an undersized 4. I think he should rarely (if ever) play at 4, but he can manage against undersized/weak lineups. Again, not worth the money, but not worthless.

Yes. I get that the guy is a tweener who does several things so-so and excels at none, but he is a useful player for this team, especially given that it was not a case where it was sign Green or spend $9M per annum elsewhere. Put differently, we would rather see Green spell Pierce on LeBron or would we rather see Pietrus (or another vet minimum guy) spell Pierce on LeBron. Because that was the decision that had to be made given the salary cap.

#13 bowiac

• 9,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

My issue with him primarily stems from his defensive issues. I don't think he's actually good at guarding the 3 or the undersized 4, and he's not an efficient scorer either. He just killed on the glass though, and opposing players score often, and very efficiently against him.

#14 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

My issue with him primarily stems from his defensive issues. I don't think he's actually good at guarding the 3 or the undersized 4, and he's not an efficient scorer either. He just killed on the glass though, and opposing players score often, and very efficiently against him.

That makes sense. I guess I think the offensive positives (spreading the floor) out weight the offensive negatives (inefficiency). Midrange guys are always inefficient scorers, right? As for defense, were there any better options who offered equivalent offensive upside? I mean, I still agree 4/36 is an absurd dollar amount, but am less down on Green.

#15 Statman

• 594 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Weird to say for a guy who's been struggling but he needs more playing time. The more he plays the more comfortable he seems. I guess that's because he has always been a high volume minutes guy in the past.

Green definitely needs more PT. It's hard to maintain consistent play when your minutes in the games this season have been 26:42, 16, 21:34, 17:54, 25:20, 15:14 and 27:17.

Pierce is averaging a shade over 34 minutes per game this season. I thought our deep bench was supposed to allow us to cut down the number of minutes for our older guys?

#16 bowiac

• 9,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yes. I get that the guy is a tweener who does several things so-so and excels at none, but he is a useful player for this team, especially given that it was not a case where it was sign Green or spend $9M per annum elsewhere. Put differently, we would rather see Green spell Pierce on LeBron or would we rather see Pietrus (or another vet minimum guy) spell Pierce on LeBron. Because that was the decision that had to be made given the salary cap.

I think this a good post in that it frames the question correctly. Where I disagree is that Green hasn't shown himself to be much better than Pietrus (yet). I appreciate that that's a minority position for some reason, but it's the right question at least.

#17 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,417 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Actually, I think 14-15 pts per 36 is pretty run of the mill for a backup 3. I don't have a comprehensive list or anything, but guys like Linus Kleiza, Reggie Williams, Wilson Chandler, and Mike Dunleavy are all right in that ball park. And if you expand it to 13-15, pretty much every 3 with a roster spot ends up on the list.

Though, I understand the Celtics cap situation gave Green substantial bargaining leverage. That said, I think they probably could have made a deal for Dorrell Wright, who Philly got for nothing, and really, when you start to look at the production he's brought, you have to wonder if a guy like Matt Barnes at the league minimum might not make more sense.

#18 nighthob

• 2,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I think this a good post in that it frames the question correctly. Where I disagree is that Green hasn't shown himself to be much better than Pietrus (yet). I appreciate that that's a minority position for some reason, but it's the right question at least.

In fairness Green is a much better power forward than the 6'5" Pietrus.

#19 bowiac

• 9,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

In fairness Green is a much better power forward than the 6'5" Pietrus.

Ok, that's a fair point. I just meant that Green provides production about on par with league minimum guys.

#20 nighthob

• 2,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ok, that's a fair point. I just meant that Green provides production about on par with league minimum guys.

Oh, that much I'll grant. But the flipside is that Boston specifically needed a swing forward because Sullinger was a potential nevergonnabe and Brandon Bass the worst starting PF in the NBA. And the pickings at that spot were even worse.

#21 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Green's still only 26, and doesn't have a ton of games on his odometer. I don't think he has reached his ceiling yet.

#22 Brickowski

• 3,684 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hopefully he's learning that to be effective he has to play hard, not glide through the game. I'd rather see making mistakes trying to accomplish something as opposed to being invisible.

Someone needs to teach him to rebound. His technique is poor.

#23 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6,362 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

The more aggressive he plays, the more effective he is. When he settles for jumpers, gets passive as he did at times in OKC, he becomes an inefficient scorer. When he's on the attack, he's a quality player and a really valuable piece for the second unit. His last three games have been great. I'm glad he has KG in his ear to keep him on the attack.

#24 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,325 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Awesome clip. Thank you. If there is a Jeff Green Bandwagon I want on it. I'm hoping for big things.

#25 CreightonGubanich

• 970 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

The Celtics were in a position where they had to take a gamble on Green's upside. I get that he has some negatives, and he might not ever be anything more than a Matt Barnes type. But I think there's hope for more than that - last night's impressive stat line aside, there was a play in the second quarter that I loved. Green cut hard along the baseline, set up shop deep in the paint, sealed off his man with one hand, caught the pass with the other, put a move on his defender, and buried a little lefty hook shot. On that one play, Green was aggressive, physical, and flashed some nice touch. The next time down the floor, they went to Green in the post again, and he got to the free throw line. He can hit the corner three. I just think he needs to figure out how to use his skills. Tommy Heinsohn keeps saying Green should be a one-dribble drive guy - catch the ball at 18-20 feet, one dribble, and attack the rim. I agree. I think he's got the skillset to be Gerald Wallace with three point range.

Of course he's overpaid, but if the Celtics want any hope of extending their window, they're going to need guys like Green to make the Leap. In their position, it's tough to get their hands on anyone who even has the potential to evolve into a key contributor. Worth the gamble in my opinion.

#26 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5,658 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

and Brandon Bass the worst starting PF in the NBA.

I know you really dont like him and his game, but Glenn Davis is starting right now in Orlando so things could be worse.

#27 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,918 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I know you really dont like him and his game, but Glenn Davis is starting right now in Orlando so things could be worse.

Jason Maxiell, Patrick Patterson, Tristan Thompson, Jason Thompson and Trevor Booker would like a word.

Watching Bass rebound gives my chest pains, though. Ball goes up, other players fight for position, Bass remains standing and staring. He's like a child visiting Times Square for the first time on every shot. Infuriating.

#28 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,383 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Green follows up last night with a no-show tonight. Ugh.

#29 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8,667 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

You can always count on Pierce to miss a free throw late in the game.

#30 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8,667 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

And you can always count on getting fucked by the officials sometime during the game. Horrible call against Barbosa may have cost us the game.

#31 sox311

• 1,082 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Green hit a huge 3 in tonights game and had a hard foul on Reggie Evans. It may show up poor on the stat sheet, but I don't think it was as much of a no show in how he played tonight as some are putting it.

#32 The Belly Itcher

• 2,655 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Green hit a huge 3 in tonights game and had a hard foul on Reggie Evans. It may show up poor on the stat sheet, but I don't think it was as much of a no show in how he played tonight as some are putting it.

I thought he played well early in the game, and later in the game (you mentioned the 3, which was huge). I think he was invisible for parts in the middle of the game but the offense wasn't flowing through him, even when he was perched open outside the arc, so I don't blame his play per se. (It was the PP show.) I wouldn't call it a bad game by any means, nor was it dominating. He was solid.