Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Morosi: Sox interested in acquiring Choo and Masterson from Indians

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

The Boston Red Sox have expressed interest in acquiring right-handed starter Justin Masterson and outfielder Shin-Soo Choo from the Cleveland Indians, major-league sources said.
It’s not clear how advanced the talks are, but the fit is obvious: The Red Sox have the ability to take on payroll after unloading roughly $250 million in contracts three months ago, and the Indians are willing to listen to offers for virtually every player on their roster.

http://mlbbuzz.yardb...n_choo/12160756

#2 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

By most accounts Tito and Masterson had a great relationship, so I'm betting they're not nearly as eager to trade Justin.

FWIW, Masterson is 2nd-year arb eligible and made $3.825M last year. Choo is 3rd-year eligible and earned $5M. Choo also enjoyed a nice bounce-back year (.283/.373/.441/.815 w. 16 HR in 155 G after hitting .259/.344/.390/.733 w. 8 HR in just 85 G), so he's due for a substantial raise.

Edited by mabrowndog, 08 November 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#3 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

What's with Choo's defensive numbers last year? Both DRS and UZR say he was an awful right fielder. Is that

A. a one-year anomaly,
B. a temporary injury-recovery artifact, or
C. a potentially disturbing long-term trend?

#4 LesterFan

• 3,662 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Choo career vs RHP: .307/.400/.514
Choo career vs LHP: .249/.338/.358

His numbers vs lefties were even worse in 2012. .199/.318/.286

#5 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,373 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

The Indians currently have $13M in payroll commitments; why would they be looking to move Choo and Masterson? The fact that they hired Tito (and that he went there) makes me think they are trying to compete.

I'm sure they'll listen to offers, but it's going to take some real talent to make it worth their while.

#6 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

What's with Choo's defensive numbers last year? Both DRS and UZR say he was an awful right fielder. Is that

A. a one-year anomaly,

Tango's fan scouting report has him in the 3rd tier of RF along with Upton, Markakis, Revere, ect. Has him rated in the elite arms with Reddick and Cruz.

I like Choo and would take him in a heartbeat. If Masterson or Cabrera gets involved this would probably get too big for my liking. Not a big Masterson fan.

Edited by SoxScout, 08 November 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#7 IpswichSox

• 1,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Choo is represented by Boras and he's a free agent after 2013, so maybe that means his acquisition cost would be low -- why would teams give up a ton to get him for only one year? I'm fine with short-term contracts or inexpensive acquisitions to bridge us to the next great Red Sox team, as Ben has called it, but I wouldn't want to give up much for a guy like Choo who may only play here next year and then be gone before the next great Red Sox team arrives beginning (hopefully) in 2014.

#8 Edelpeddle

• 273 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Pass. Both Masterson and Choo have some pretty ugly lefty/righty splits. If we want players with warts, we should just stick to the free agent market and save the prospects.

#9 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,086 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

A. a one-year anomaly,

D. A very small sample size and subjective defensive stats

#10 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

D. A very small sample size and subjective defensive stats

Well, that's pretty much what I meant by "A. a one-year anomaly". I didn't mean that maybe he mysteriously went from a pretty good RF to a really shitty one for just one year, I meant that maybe he had a year where the shortcomings of those defensive metrics happened to bite him randomly in the ass.

#11 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,651 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

CHOO CHOO CHOO :fap: :fap: :fap:

Seriously, Korean press has been reporting a series of minor injuries, lack of conditioning in the off-season, and so on. However, everyone's excited about the prospect of joining a "historical" team like the Sox.

I'll report back any notable news from back home.