Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Heyman: Juan Nieves to be named pitching coach

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,990 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

#redsox expected to name Juan Nieves their new pitching coach. story up soon on http://cbssports.com

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/266248024869703680
link to tweet

#2 Corsi

• 9,990 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Speier confirms.

Confirmed @JonHeymanCBS report: Nieves is Red Sox pitching coach

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/266251301292236800
link to tweet

#3 Corsi

• 9,990 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

NDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- The Red Sox are expected to name Juan Nieves their new pitching coach, sources said.

Rick Peterson was seen as the favorite, but now indications are that Nieves is the first choice.

Nieves has been bullpen coach for the White Sox. Nieves, a former Brewers pitcher, once threw a no-hitter for Milwaukee.

The White Sox pitching staff has had a lot of success in recent years. Nieves is said to have had a seven-hour interview with the Red Sox.

Peterson, who has known new Red Sox manager John Farrell for 25 years, was seen as the logical pick. Boston may want to expand beyond its Cleveland connection to add new ideas.

http://www.cbssports...ching-coach-job

#4 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,367 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Will be interesting to know why NIeves, a bullpen coach, over Peterson given the latter's experience and success. Nieves more of an up and coming star? Peterson want too much money? Farrell want someone lower profile? Somewhat curious given that Farrell supposedly had a very strong relationship with Peterson. As long as this was a joint decision, or one made by Farrell, probably not a concern.

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 07 November 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#5 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Gammons spent much of the early 80s waxing poetic about Nieves when he pitched for Avon Old Farms.

Some snippets from his soon-to-be-deleted White Sox profile:

COACHING CAREER
Is in his fifth season as the White Sox bullpen coach ... spent the previous nine seasons as a pitching coach in the Sox Minor League system, most recently at Class AAA Charlotte (2005-07) ... was the World Team Pitching coach in the 2006 All-Star Future's Game ... spent the 2002-04 seasons as pitching coach at Class AA Birmingham ... was the pitching coach for the Southern League West Division All-Star team in 2002 ... served as the general manager/manager for Caguas in Puerto Rican Winter League in 1998-99 ... began his coaching career by working four seasons in the Yankees organization (1992-95).

PLAYING CAREER
Was 32-25 with a 4.71 ERA (257 ER/490.2 IP) and 352 strikeouts with Milwaukee from 1986-88 ... became the first pitcher in Brewers history and first native of Puerto Rico to throw a no-hitter on 4/15/87 vs. Baltimore ... ranked third in the American League in 1987 with an average of 7.5 strikeouts per 9.0 IP ... finished third in the AL with three shutouts as a rookie in 1986 when he was the youngest player in the AL ... went 35-12 with a 3.26 ERA in the Minor Leagues ... was named Texas League Pitcher of the Year in 1985 with Class AA El Paso.

MISCELLANEOUS/PERSONAL
Married Marilia ... has four children: Natalia, Andrea, Isabella and Alondra

From the CBS link:

Peterson, who has known new Red Sox manager John Farrell for 25 years, was seen as the logical pick. Boston may want to expand beyond its Cleveland connection to add new ideas.

I love how Heyman throws this line into a news piece without any explanation as if it's backed up by even a smidgen of evidence.

So tragic that Pat Burrell's fists never connected with his jaw.

Edited by mabrowndog, 07 November 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#6 curly2

• 2,724 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'm hoping this is more of a sign that Nieves knocked them out during his seven-hour interview than they couldn't reach a deal with Peterson. It seems like after the Valentine fiasco they are looking to do it right with this coaching staff, so I'm guessing Nieves really impressed them.

#7 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'm hoping this is more of a sign that Nieves knocked them out during his seven-hour interview than they couldn't reach a deal with Peterson. It seems like after the Valentine fiasco they are looking to do it right with this coaching staff, so I'm guessing Nieves really impressed them.

That's my assumption as well. It also could very well be that Peterson decided to stay in his position in Baltimore rather than Nieves was the choice over him.

#8 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,589 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I used to get so pissed when I saw a Brewers card when opening up Topps backs in 86 and instead of Teddy Higuera I'd get him.

Easily my most frequent shit card this side of Jerry Don Gleaton.

Then he pitched a no-hitter and my 12 year old self considered my stack of Nieveses a potential gold mine and spent an afternoon putting them into plastic sleeves.

What a jack ass I was.

#9 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2,150 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

I don't think he decided to stay, according to Jen Royle:

Rick Peterson just heard from John Farrell, surprised by news, as any candidate would be. Nieves, as I reported, had 7 hour int'v with Sox

#10 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 4,171 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I wish it were true that Red Sox brass were creeped out by Cafardo's Peterson support. Given his cheerleading for Bobby V, i can actually almost see it as a legit reason to go in another direction.

#11 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

What a jack ass I was.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you are still a jack ass.

#12 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Here's a SABR profile of Nieves. His coaching career began after shoulder problems ended his days as a pitcher in Spring 1993:

He remained with the Yankees organization through 1996 at various minor-league stops, including the Gulf Coast Rookie League (1992), Oneonta in the New York-Penn League (1993), Greensboro in the South Atlantic League (1994; 1996), and Norwich in the Eastern League (1995). He also served in that capacity with San Juan in the Puerto Rican League for a couple of winters during this time. In December 1994 the New York Times described Nieves as “refreshingly upbeat and positive.”[35] Both the organization and the young farmhands trusted and respected him. Juan said, “My body may be relaxed, but my mind is intense."[36]

Also found some archived audio interviews. Small samples to draw strong conclusions from, but I really like his assertiveness and willingness to stand up for his pitchers. Comes across as a leader and effective communicator.

* August 2010 via WSCR Chicago (White Sox Radio)

* June 2012 via WTMJ Milwaukee (Brewers Radio)

#13 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 5,857 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Agreed. and I find it hard to believe that Farrell didn't have some assurance that he would choose his staff, as we've seen Butterfield and Luvollo come over with him. My completely uniformed opinion is that Peterson was the easy choice from the outside, but probably not that above and beyond the field and Nieves just took the lead after the interview, which I'm sure Farrell was in on.

#14 Deweys New Stance

• 1,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

FWIW, I knew a guy in college who had been a classmate of his at Avon Farms; this goes back thirty years now, but I still recall that, beyond raving about his pitching talent, he considered him to be a really bright guy. So it wouldn't shock me if he blew everybody else away in the interview process.

#15 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5,162 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Kind of glad it's not Peterson. The few times I've heard him interviewed, the guy sounds a lot less smart than he's portrayed in print.

#16 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,367 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Nieves seems pretty well rounded; his experience with multiple levels of multiple organizations; in a variety of roles, is similar to Farrell, and intriguing. Theo talked years ago about developing coaches who were similar to NFL coordinators; that they could develop an edge that way, maybe they're finally doing that. Sounds like Nieves is a cerebral kind of guy and I think you want a big thinker. Getting away from the good old boys network.

#17 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

In addition to his bonafides, I think there are also some secondary benefits to having a Spanish-speaking coach working with Doubront, RDLR, Morales, and Ace, among others (Stolmy, Beato, Rosario, etc.)

#18 DanoooME

• SoSH Member

• 6,614 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Not sure if this has a whole lot of relevance, but looking up some of the minor league teams Nieves worked with shows a lack of talent under his domain that graduated to the majors, going off of the White Sox teams above in Mabrowndog's post. This isn't everyone who has at least had a cup of coffee, but names most people would recognize.

2002 AA (5th/10 in Southern League in RA/G) - Gary Majewski
2003 AA (6th/10 in Southern League in RA/G) - Neal Cotts, Royce Ring
2004 AA (1st/10 in Southern League in RA/G )- Brandon McCarthy
2005 AAA (13th/14 in Int'l League in RA/G) - Jon Adkins, Brandon McCarthy
2006 AAA (7th/14 in Int'l League in RA/G) - Boone Logan, Charlie Haeger
2007 AAA (10th/14 in Int'l League in RA/G) - Boone Logan, Charlie Haeger, David Aardsma, Gavin Floyd, Nick Masset, Andy Sisco

Is this a good track record? A bunch of relievers, a knuckleballer, and two decent starters (one of whom, McCarthy, only blossomed two teams after the White Sox). He may not have had a lot to work with, so it's hard to say. I'd have to try and go more in depth to see, for example, how many first round picks he worked with, etc. That's going to take some time.

#19 Edelpeddle

• 273 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I don't know anything about this guy. But for what it's worth, over the last five seasons the White Sox bullpen has lead the American League in K/9 (8.61), xFIP (3.83), SIERA (3.47) and fWAR (28.5).

Edited by Edelpeddle, 08 November 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#20 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Well this is certainly having some immediate returns.  I think John will get a lot of the credit, and deserves it.  But Juan needs to be seen as an amazing hire so far.  Its clear he is amazingly prepared, which has become the theme of this coaching staff.  God, I'm loving this.

Linked below is a very interesting article posted at Redsox.com about our new pitching coach.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_bos&c_id=bos

#21 pokey_reese

• SoSH Member

• 5,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Well this is certainly having some immediate returns.  I think John will get a lot of the credit, and deserves it.  But Juan needs to be seen as an amazing hire so far.  Its clear he is amazingly prepared, which has become the theme of this coaching staff.  God, I'm loving this.

Linked below is a very interesting article posted at Redsox.com about our new pitching coach.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_bos&c_id=bos

From that article:

"'One of the biggest things I've always said about this team is they've seen death in their own eyes,' Nieves said."

That's not one you hear from a pitching coach every day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users