Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

BC Basketball 2012-13 -- What do we have here?

222 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5186 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Season begins this Sunday afternoon. Obviously, there are a lot of questions about a very young team who showed some flashes of potential last year.

Most significant departure: Matt Humphrey (high volume, low efficiency scorer, good defender)

Most significant additions: Joe Rahon, Oliver Hanlon (early buzz is that these two are much more "ACC Ready" than the kids last year)

Other than the changes on the team, some other key questions are:

1. Does Heckmann figure it out? He has the potential to be a real difference maker but had a freshman season marred by turnovers, injury and illness.

2. Do Anderson and Clifford make the sophomore leap. Both showed tremendous potential. Clifford has gotten stronger and been chosen as lone captain. Anderson is the only returning unanimous freshman All ACC first-teamer.

3. Is there a viable back-up option at the 5? Transfer Van Nest has shown some ability, Caudill seems to be a project at this point and Odio is an excellent athlete but apparently still has some work to do.

Just a few thoughts to get the discussion going. It's been awhile since I've been this excited about the BBall season. This is also likely do to the abomination that is the football team right now.

#2 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14479 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Boston College guard Jordan Daniels has left the Eagles program, per a source. Will likely transfer back to the West Coast.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/266220458939121665 mabrowndog is a dingus mabrowndog is a dingus

#3 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5186 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/266220458939121665 mabrowndog is a dingus

Interesting. Probably means he wasn't going to start. Hopefully also means that the freshmen are indeed ready to make an immediate impact.

I thought Daniels had the potential to be a nice change of pace guy off the bench.

#4 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Interesting. Probably means he wasn't going to start. Hopefully also means that the freshmen are indeed ready to make an immediate impact.

I thought Daniels had the potential to be a nice change of pace guy off the bench.

Have to guess that Daniels was being viewed as a 3rd guard this year with legitimately being the 4th guard in the future (Hanlan, Jackson currently ahead of him with Rahon pushing him hard). Complicating this is Heckmann as a G-F who presumably would also be ahead of him in the line for playing time. What this strongly suggests to me is that Donahue had a talk with him saying that Hanlan was going to start at the point and that he wouldnt get much more than 10-15 minutes a game going forward.

As a side note, this is always why you make sure to take players in every class - even with a large class. Large classes always sort themselves out as some of the lesser players in the class will end up leaving.

#5 murphsox67

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

While he apparently lost playing opportunity to Hanlan and Rahon, it's still a pretty big blow to depth for this year...If the plan is still to play a lot of 3 guard, they're going to need some solid minutes from Rubin....I'll miss watching JD, good luck to him...

#6 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

While he apparently lost playing opportunity to Hanlan and Rahon, it's still a pretty big blow to depth for this year...If the plan is still to play a lot of 3 guard, they're going to need some solid minutes from Rubin....I'll miss watching JD, good luck to him...

Well after the first game, which I saw part of, its clear to me that not only was Hanlon ahead of him, Rahon was also ahead of him and for good reason - they both have loads of talent. Rahon's handle, for one, is considerably better than what was reported by the scouting services. I'm somewhat less concerned now about the depth after seeing how talented the freshman are. That being said, it will still be a problem because they really only go 4 deep at the G/F positions (Rahon, Hanlon, Jackson, and Heckmann).

#7 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, I hope Rahon/Hanlan are in good shape. They're going to get some serious run this year.

#8 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5186 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Nice first game. It was FIU so don't want to read too much but anytime a player can have a line of 29 pts and 17 boards that's impressive. Anderson looks to be even better than last year. In addition to the guard play mentioned above, Heckmann played well (12 pts) as did Clifford (12 pts, 5 rbs). Van Nest, the 6' 10" Harvard transfer looked like he will be a useful part.

Daniels would have been a nice bench player but he was only going to see 10-15 min a game I think. If Rahon finds his shooing touch he will be tremendous.

#9 murphsox67

• 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Agreed you don't want to read too much, but it was encouraging...Rahon and Hanlan appear to be way ahead of where any of the Freshmen were last year...Solid minutes for Van Nest and Odio too...I don't expect they'll shoot like that very often, and to still put up 84 (regardless of the competition) was pretty impressive.

Someone's gonna catch them on a hot night and get themselves upset....

#10 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I really like where this team is going with Donahue.

Anderson is a tremendously versatile scorer, Hanlon looks like he will be our first real penetrating PG in a long time, and Clifford is already picking up the Donahue offense really well. They are not going to contend in the ACC, but they should be fun to watch and should be able to give any team a game on any given night. Keep adding ACC-caliber players, and watch this team get better as they become more nuanced in their ability to run the offense.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

BC is playing ok, but Pierre Jackson is just going off

#12 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Baylor is really good. There is no way that there are 15 better teams in the country.

#13 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4558 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

BC looking pretty good in the first half, and hanging tough. Under 4 minutes left in the half and they trail 32-31.

#14 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

After the 10 min timeout or whatever it looked like they were about to be blown out, what a recovery.

43-41 at half BC. Anderson with a half court 3 at the buzzer.

#15 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, I'll take that half any day.

Ryan Anderson is going to be the best player BC has ever had.

#16 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4558 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, I'll take that half any day.

Ryan Anderson is going to be the best player BC has ever had.

Haha let's not go overboard yet. I sincerely hope that is the case, but it is a little premature for that.

#17 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Well, nice showing overall. Hanlan and Anderson are legit ACC starters. Clifford and Rahon are at least serviceable, maybe more.

They got killed by Heckmann's turnovers and Jackson's lack of production.

#18 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Clifford really has to up his game. He may be hurt but if we're going to be relying on Anderson to give us 25 / night, it's going to be a long season. Van Nest definitely surprised me today. Need the guards/wings to start hitting some shots. All in all, this team is on the right track but certainly needs another piece or two before it can beat a Top 20 team.

#19 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5186 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Clifford really has to up his game. He may be hurt but if we're going to be relying on Anderson to give us 25 / night, it's going to be a long season. Van Nest definitely surprised me today. Need the guards/wings to start hitting some shots. All in all, this team is on the right track but certainly needs another piece or two before it can beat a Top 20 team.

They need pieces to sustain it but this team will definitely beat a ranked opponent this year. No doubt in my mind.

#20 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well, nice showing overall. Hanlan and Anderson are legit ACC starters. Clifford and Rahon are at least serviceable, maybe more.

They got killed by Heckmann's turnovers and Jackson's lack of production.

Clifford is a legit ACC starter - the knee problem is clearly bothering him somewhat and even with that injury he looks better than any true center BC has had in 5 years. Im looking forward to seeing them in another month after Hanlan has had some time to get used to the college game and Clifford has had time to recover.

#21 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

They could have beaten a top 20 team today if Rahon or Jackson could hit wide open threes.

They need more depth, and they need a couple of guys to get Jackson and a couple of the other current players out of the rotation, but they're definitely making progress.

#22 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

They could have beaten a top 20 team today if Rahon or Jackson could hit wide open threes.

They need more depth, and they need a couple of guys to get Jackson and a couple of the other current players out of the rotation, but they're definitely making progress.

More than that, they could have beat a top 20 team if Heckmann doesnt shit himself when hes on the court.

#23 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Heckmann was atrocious with the ball. He was a turnover machine.

#24 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

They need pieces to sustain it but this team will definitely beat a ranked opponent this year. No doubt in my mind.

Sorry, I meant to add "consistently" at the end. I agree that we're good enough to beat a ranked opponent and I'd be shocked if we don't take one or two down before the season ends.

#25 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Heckmann was atrocious with the ball. He was, is, and always will be a turnover machine.

Fixed.

#26 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Fixed.

Hes just bad. He's a one trick pony whose trick is substantially diminished by the fact that he turns the ball over way too much for a guy who isnt even a primary ball handler

#27 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18022 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

So Baylor ends up losing to Colorado showing they are worse than we thought, and now BC completely blown off the court by Dayton. Yikes.

Well at least the next 2 games are likely against an awful Auburn team (or a CoC team who loses to Auburn)

#28 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

From now on, he's Coach Onahue because there is no "d". Pathetic defensive performance so far.

#29 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18022 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Another just plain ugly loss to College of Charleston.

#30 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Another just plain ugly loss to College of Charleston.

Without Anderson and a healthy Clifford, this team really doesnt have much talent - both of the next two most talented guys are freshmen and thus prone to large variances in performance. Have to hope that both of them get better quickly, or else the season could turn ugly quickly

#31 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

A loss at home to Bryant is pretty much the most embarrassing thing ever.

#32 PseuFighter

• Silent scenester

• 7722 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

holy shit. that has to be the biggest win in bryant history.

#33 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

So, Donahue sucks too. Cool.

#34 berniecarbo1

• 1039 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I think I saw the ghost of Henry Hill at Conte Forum today....he snuck in when BB was firing Spaz. Bates has his work cut out for him. A new football coach in December and a new basketball coach in April?? Seems the only program that is not in turmoil is the hockey team. Hmmmmmmm, if memory serves me, GDF never touched that program did he???

#35 kfoss99

• 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

A loss at home to Bryant is pretty much the most embarrassing thing ever.

Not if you're a Bryant alum, like I am! Go Bull Dogs!

#36 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 7973 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Great win!

#37 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Great win!

Bring on the Dukies. The suddenly surging BC Eagles are ready to rumble!

#38 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 6913 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

So I assume Penn State sucks this year as much as they do most other years? Just trying to gauge my expectations as to whether or not they're on Bryant's level.

#39 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18022 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

So I assume Penn State sucks this year as much as they do most other years? Just trying to gauge my expectations as to whether or not they're on Bryant's level.

yeah they are absolutely horrible, and lost their best player to a season ending injury last week

#40 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'll tell you what we have here...our fifth straight loss to Harvard. In basketball.

Great days on The Heights.

#41 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5186 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yeah ... We don't have Clifford but they lost some key cogs. It's concerning to say the least. Defense has been atrocious.

#42 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Steve Donahue is a more-eloquent Spaz. We are screwed. He is in WAY over his head. Ugh.

#43 berniecarbo1

• 1039 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Shouldn't they be better than this at this point? I am not trying to be a wise ass but shouldn't they be winning these games and at this point beating Harvard? Is the Donahue experiemnt a failure? I am beginning to think it may be.

#44 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Shouldn't they be better than this at this point? I am not trying to be a wise ass but shouldn't they be winning these games and at this point beating Harvard? Is the Donahue experiemnt a failure? I am beginning to think it may be.

Donahue is garbage. Brings in a bunch of soft, lily white pansies who can't even shoot from the perimeter. There's a recipe for success.

#45 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

They probably should be - but this program hasnt beaten Harvard now forever. This team seriously lacked depth coming into the season in the frontcourt and with Clifford out, theyre going to be a pretty bad team. That coupled with a freshmen guard tandem is going to lead to some pretty ugly losses.

I would say its fair to say that some of the bloom is off of Donahue's rose - they should be better than they are at this point but I'm not sure I'm ready to chalk him up as failure. This program was in the shitter when he took over.

That being said he needs to show something the second half of this season to realistically stay in the job. He can't continue to go on to a 12ish win season this year.

Edited by mikcou, 04 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#46 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5189 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

12 wins? That would be a miracle at this point.

#47 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Clifford being out makes very little difference. He's probably the softest player I can remember and Van Nest can replace him adequately.

#48 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Clifford being out makes very little difference. He's probably the softest player I can remember and Van Nest can replace him adequately.

Yeah this isnt really the case at all. Maybe on the basis of this season - but hes clearly had some significant injury. A healthy Clifford shits out pieces of Van Nest after his morning coffee. This also doesnt account for the fact that Clifford's injury means Eddie fuckin Odio is playing 25 minutes a game.

#49 mikcou

• 323 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

12 wins? That would be a miracle at this point.

Well, if he cant get to 12 wins, then he should probably just be canned today. Anything under 14-15 wins this is completely unacceptable.

#50 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yeah this isnt really the case at all. Maybe on the basis of this season - but hes clearly had some significant injury. A healthy Clifford shits out pieces of Van Nest after his morning coffee. This also doesnt account for the fact that Clifford's injury means Eddie fuckin Odio is playing 25 minutes a game.

A healthy Clifford still isn't that good of a player. Ryan Anderson is the only consistent difference-maker on this team. The frosh guards join him every now and then.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users