Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Pedroia Q&A at FanGraphs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1711 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Worthy of a link IMO:

http://www.fangraphs...oia-on-defense/

#2 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11422 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

DL: You’ve committed 50 errors in nine professional seasons. What does that mean to you?
DP: Is that a lot?
DL: Derek Jeter had over 50 in his second professional season.
DP: Oh, nice, I guess it’s not a lot.

Priceless.

#3 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for posting this (typically) insightful piece. Dusty again shows there's more going on than just the laser-show wise-ass (whom we love).

Still, this did crack me up:

DL: You’ve committed 50 errors in nine professional seasons. What does that mean to you?
DP: Is that a lot?
DL: Derek Jeter had over 50 in his second professional season.
DP: Oh, nice, I guess it’s not a lot.

Edit: You got me, Hillbilly... but I'll have my day. Oh yes, I'll have my day...

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 02 November 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#4 mr_smith02

• 1640 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

It would have been more priceless if he had responded, "Well, Jeter sucks."

#5 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9328 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Great article. Lots of talk about how positioning changes for every batter and even every pitch, and how often it's the player who decides where to position himself, but sometimes it's the bench. And how a teammates positioning will affect a different player's positioning: "his swing path was dead-pull — so I’d pretty much know he’s never going to hit a ground ball to me. I can play way up the middle and help our shortstop by letting him get more in the hole, so hopefully he can take a hit away."

Good to keep this stuff in mind when looking at defensive stats.

#6 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12427 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I don’t remember… you know what, to be honest with you, I was fatter when I was younger.

I really love that he started this sentence off with a vague brush-off and then decided to get real midstream.

#7 someoneanywhere

• 3155 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

David, great stuff.

I am especially interested in how he positions himself. If you watch him pre-pitch, he'll take one or two steps and hop into fielding ready positions. I've seen no other big leaguer take that kind of "creep" -- most do as we were all taught: bend and get into the quads and hips, creep forward with offhand and glove at fielding ready, get in athletic position on the front of the feet. You didn't by chance ask him about this, did you?

#8 adam42381

• 1877 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

I like the article, but I don't think comparing their minor league fielding stats is entirely above board (professional seasons).

#9 Archer1979

• shazowies

• 3090 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I like the article, but I don't think comparing their minor league fielding stats is entirely above board (professional seasons).

I liked the article too. But, more important than the comparison of "professional" stats, I'm curious why was there a comparison between a shortstop's stats and a second baseman's?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users