Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

BA's Sox Top 10

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OnWisc

• 968 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

BA website doesn't release updated scouting reports until 10/31, but as E5 Yaz pointed out in other thread, BA's list is on espn now.

http://espn.go.com/b...roster-for-2016

1. X (BA #2 in Carolina League)
2. JBJ (BA #4 in Carolina League, #5 in EL)
3. Barnes (BA #3 in Carolina League)
4. Webster (BA #9 in Southern League)
5. Owens (not ranked in Sally list, but per chat just missed making list, and actually bounced on and off as reports were reviewed)
6. Swihart (BA #17 in Sally)
7. Cecchini (BA #15 in Sally)
8. Brentz
9. Iglesias (BA #11 in IL)
10. Marrero (BA #7 in NYP)

Edited by OnWisc, 31 October 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Brianish

• 4274 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was about to ask how they put JBJ below Barnes in his league, but above Barnes on the Sox list, but I assume it's because JBJ moved to AA and kept performing.

Edit - Although I guess I could ask the same question about Owens, Swihart and Cecchini. It probably comes down to "There are different people involved."

Edited by Brianish, 30 October 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#3 OnWisc

• 968 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I was about to ask how they put JBJ below Barnes in his league, but above Barnes on the Sox list, but I assume it's because JBJ moved to AA and kept performing.

Edit - Although I guess I could ask the same question about Owens, Swihart and Cecchini. It probably comes down to "There are different people involved."

Yeah, JBJ also 5th in EL. Edited original post to reflect.

#4 someoneanywhere

• 3131 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Owens is certainly a prospect, and I realize that BA considers ceiling as a pivotal factor, but 5th in a deep organization, above an advanced prospect with legitimate power potential, is a little too much helium. Still, I'd guess those 10 in whatever order are the consensus 10.

#5 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Owens is ranked higher than I expected. Curious about his scouting report.

#6 Detts

• 801 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Owens is ranked higher than I expected. Curious about his scouting report.

Posted Image

From what I saw the 5 times I saw him this year...

HS kid in the Sally. Tall lefty built like a drinking straw. Mid 90's fastball with declining velocity as the game progressed. Change-up made hitters look silly when it was on. 2 speeds (low 70's and low 80's) on his curve. Struggled with command of fastball. Showed growth in mound presence as the year went on. Off-speed was too much for low A batters. Numerous mentions of his work ethic, attitude, and charting of pitches in the media down here.

When you watch him, you can't help but think 'dear god, what this kid can be', but I agree 100% with someoneanywhere...he's still a lottery ticket. No way I'd rank him over Brentz. I'd put Brentz over the 3 Sally guys...and you couldn't go wrong putting any of them in any order after Brentz.

#7 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

Thanks Detts. His velo is higher than I thought. Bulking up off season could help him to command better and to hold his velo deep into the game.

#8 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Speier podcast with Callis: http://audio.weei.co...-jim-callis.htm

#9 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 721 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Owens is certainly a prospect, and I realize that BA considers ceiling as a pivotal factor, but 5th in a deep organization, above an advanced prospect with legitimate power potential, is a little too much helium. Still, I'd guess those 10 in whatever order are the consensus 10.

Dude led the SAL in K/PA straight out of HS, with glowing scouting reports to match. He's right where he should be.

Edited by The Best Catch in 100 Years, 31 October 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#10 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Some stuff from that podcast:

-- Bogaerts is a shortstop, has a good chance to stay there even if he maxes out at 6'3 220, .300 30 guy
-- Pure drool-worthy stuff on Bradley's D
-- At different point in the process Barnes and Webster were #2 on the list, and next year Owens can be the top prospect in the system.
-- Barnes better command and peak stuff, but Webster has a better package of pitches. Speier's hears Webster's stuff is better than Barnes.
-- No one in baseball could believe the trade, "Shaking their heads, how did Boston get Webster and DLR?"
-- Cecchini solid D, high BA, high OBP, average power and speed... a lot of Pedroia comps.
-- Britton, Workman, Jacobs, Ranaudo, Johnson are the next group.
-- Who we might see make a huge jump up into the Top 5 next year: Ranaudo (stuff before injury in spring was great), Lin (might be best all around SS in system), Margot (So far away, BUT... talked about in system along lines of Hanley and Bogaerts)
-- Vitek was injured again, but might be time to let him play outfield and concentrate on hitting.
-- Callis says there are not a lot of teams that have farm systems he likes, but the Red Sox are one.
-- Touches on Mercedes, Montas, Buttrey; the Sox just have a ton of high ceiling. "When they hit on guys, they are gonna hit big."

Edited by SoxScout, 31 October 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#11 OnWisc

• 968 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Dude led the SAL in K/PA straight out of HS, with glowing scouting reports to match. He's right where he should be.

Updated scouting reports on just popped up on BA. Pretty glowing commentary on Owens, really pretty similar to Detts observations above. Has the frame to add strength but power is really already sufficient. Plus change, slow curve for strikes, speedier slurve as out pitch. Maybe more upside than Barnes, Webster.

#12 someoneanywhere

• 3131 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'm pretty confident in my own eyes.

I didn't say he's not a prospect. He's a damn good one. But to succeed you've got to be able to adjust and advance, adjust and advance. If he can't get that BB rate down -- a compelling part of his stat line that you didn't note at all, but which also hovers around the top (or bottom) of the Sally League -- and can't strengthen up to get around the order a couple of times, he's not going to fare nearly as well against advanced hitters. Anyone who has seen him a lot can tell you that the struggles begin after one time through. That is a function of strength and stamina, but it is also a function of command and control. I can't tell you how many guys he punched out chasing stuff that advanced hitters will leave alone. And lest anyone think that strengthening up is no big deal for a young kid, remember that he's 6'7", maybe still growing, and left-handed. He's got to get stronger while maintaining his mechanics and while adjusting to hitters who won't offer at the stuff that he's used to getting high-school hitters and rookie-level pros to chase. No easy thing.

If you can develop a lefty #1 or #2, sure, that's high value. But developing power-hitting outfielders who might also profile as right-fielders in Fenway, with all the challenges that poses, is also no mean feat. Brentz has shown the ability to adjust and advance with his tools in tact. Owens has not. He might -- the ceiling is high -- but he might not: because the challenges are also high.

Edited by someoneanywhere, 31 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#13 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 721 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm pretty confident in my own eyes.

I didn't say he's not a prospect. He's a damn good one. But to succeed you've got to be able to adjust and advance, adjust and advance. If he can't get that BB rate down -- a compelling part of his stat line that you didn't note at all, but which also hovers around the top (or bottom) of the Sally League -- and can't strengthen up to get around the order a couple of times, he's not going to fare nearly as well against advanced hitters. Anyone who has seen him a lot can tell you that the struggles begin after one time through. That is a function of strength and stamina, but it is also a function of command and control. I can't tell you how many guys he punched out chasing stuff that advanced hitters will leave alone. And lest anyone think that strengthening up is no big deal for a young kid, remember that he's 6'7", maybe still growing, and left-handed. He's got to get stronger while maintaining his mechanics and while adjusting to hitters who won't offer at the stuff that he's used to getting high-school hitters and rookie-level pros to chase. No easy thing.

If you can develop a lefty #1 or #2, sure, that's high value. But developing power-hitting outfielders who might also profile as right-fielders in Fenway, with all the challenges that poses, is also no mean feat. Brentz has shown the ability to adjust and advance with his tools in tact. Owens has not. He might -- the ceiling is high -- but he might not: because the challenges are also high.

If going from high school to leading the SAL in K/PA isn't "adjusting and advancing with [one's] tools intact" I don't know what is. The walk rate is kind of a concern but 10-11% doesn't seem like a big deal to me, especially for a guy's first season.

As a side note, not really to prop up my argument or anything because this is purely anecdotal/speculative: just from my experience with looking at minor league pitching stats, it seems like a K-rate as high as Owens's was this year is much stronger as a positive indicator than a middling walk rate is as a negative indicator, particularly at the lower levels of the minors. Zach Wheeler has not done anything in the majors yet, obviously, but his BB% was in the 14's in A ball, and he's turned that around; James McDonald and Jon Niese had similar BB figures to what Owens had in the SAL, and both posted much better figures in the upper levels.

Also, I'd welcome being proven otherwise, but I haven't seen anyone project Brentz as a star-level OF, while Owens does seem to have that kind of ceiling as a starting pitcher according to multiple reputable sources (people Speier and Callis have been in touch with). Still, I could understand placing Brentz ahead of Owens if Brentz was, like, ready to step in as a starting MLB RF next year, but he comes with warts of his own--substandard K/BB's in A+ and AA, for one thing. His really eye-popping stats came in single-A, where he wasn't exactly young for the league and playing in a very favorable park for RHH.

#14 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9439 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Jim Callis
is having his BA Red Sox chat in 5 min. Would someone who is a subscriber be able to give us highlights?

Edited by soxhop411, 31 October 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#15 OnWisc

• 968 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Jim Callis
is having his BA Red Sox chat in 5 min. Would someone who is a subscriber be able to give us highlights?

One quick note from the chat, Owen's ranking relative to Brentz is more due to Owen's ceiling than to any limitations on Brentz. Owens could sit atop list next year.

#16 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1934 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Do note: the Sox philosophy for first year guys (according to Drive manager Carlos Febles) is just to get them through the grind of playing every day for five months. Big picture, Owens was a huge success.

Edited by TheGoldenGreek33, 31 October 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#17 someoneanywhere

• 3131 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

If going from high school to leading the SAL in K/PA isn't "adjusting and advancing with [one's] tools intact" I don't know what is. The walk rate is kind of a concern but 10-11% doesn't seem like a big deal to me, especially for a guy's first season.

As a side note, not really to prop up my argument or anything because this is purely anecdotal/speculative: just from my experience with looking at minor league pitching stats, it seems like a K-rate as high as Owens's was this year is much stronger as a positive indicator than a middling walk rate is as a negative indicator, particularly at the lower levels of the minors. Zach Wheeler has not done anything in the majors yet, obviously, but his BB% was in the 14's in A ball, and he's turned that around; James McDonald and Jon Niese had similar BB figures to what Owens had in the SAL, and both posted much better figures in the upper levels.

Also, I'd welcome being proven otherwise, but I haven't seen anyone project Brentz as a star-level OF, while Owens does seem to have that kind of ceiling as a starting pitcher according to multiple reputable sources (people Speier and Callis have been in touch with). Still, I could understand placing Brentz ahead of Owens if Brentz was, like, ready to step in as a starting MLB RF next year, but he comes with warts of his own--substandard K/BB's in A+ and AA, for one thing. His really eye-popping stats came in single-A, where he wasn't exactly young for the league and playing in a very favorable park for RHH.

All very well taken. I am not, again, arguing that Owens is not a Top 10, or that he doesn't have a lot of promise: only that he's too high on this list. And given what anyone would notice upon seeing him once, let alone multiple times -- a huge, lanky frame with a quirky hitch coming through on the backside -- there are concerns that don't translate through stat lines: while the BB rate might be unexceptional in a comparative light, guys who are 6'7" are, indeed, exceptional.

I do disagree with you that moving to A ball is an example of adjusting and advancing on the scale I am using. How much A ball have you watched? He is facing talented but essentially amateur hitters, most of whom will never make it out of High A, and many of whom will never even make it out of Low A. He knows how to get those hitters out. Always has. It will be different for him when he faces guys at higher levels. Nor has he had to deal -- yet -- with the one question all legitimate prospects have to face sooner (usually) or later: how will he deal with failure? What will he do when the things he used to do to get guys out now get hit 360 feet? Ask Drake Britton or even Daniel Bard how easy that is.

I am not saying he won't have the answer. I am saying he hasn't faced the question yet. Until then, a 5-ranking in a deep system is too much helium for me.

#18 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1934 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

You do realize the jump from high school hitters to low A is ridiculous, right?

#19 nighthob

• 2821 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

He is facing talented but essentially amateur hitters, most of whom will never make it out of High A, and many of whom will never even make it out of Low A. He knows how to get those hitters out. Always has.

If you're claiming that the hitters in the SAL are the equivalent of high school players you may need to lay off the LSD. I'd say that the fact that he went straight to low A, skipping over the short season leagues, is an indicator that they landed a real gem.

#20 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20332 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

BA website doesn't release updated scouting reports until 10/31, but as E5 Yaz pointed out in other thread, BA's list is on espn now.

http://espn.go.com/b...roster-for-2016

1. X (BA #2 in Carolina League)
2. JBJ (BA #4 in Carolina League, #5 in EL)
3. Barnes (BA #3 in Carolina League)
4. Webster (BA #9 in Southern League)
5. Owens (not ranked in Sally list, but per chat just missed making list, and actually bounced on and off as reports were reviewed)
6. Swihart (BA #17 in Sally)
7. Cecchini (BA #15 in Sally)
8. Brentz
9. Iglesias (BA #11 in IL)
10. Marrero (BA #7 in NYP)

Having not paid attention to a lot of players below high-A this year, I'm caught a bit off guard by Owens' placement, but it's a pleasant surprise. Sounds like there is good reason to be high on him and I'll be watching him more closely 2013. I'm also surprised to see Marrero in the top 10 so fast, but it's nice to see that BA agrees with a lot of the draft day talk. I'm also really glad to see Swihart up there as he's been a bit of a binky for me since he was drafted.

This top 10 and the podcast discussion paraphrasing above makes me feel really good about this team's ability to bounce back from a major league roster collapse that has them currently fielding one of the worst teams in the majors. There are a lot of exciting names that could help this team get back into contention in the next two or three years, and apparently a really nice crop of high ceiling players right behind them.

I wonder where they'll rank the system this year? Considering they are high on tools (more so than any other publication, it seems), this might be the place where the Sox get their highest organization ranking.

#21 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1609 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

-- Bogaerts is a shortstop, has a good chance to stay there even if he maxes out at 6'3 220, .300 30 guy
-- Pure drool-worthy stuff on Bradley's D
-- At different point in the process Barnes and Webster were #2 on the list, and next year Owens can be the top prospect in the system.
-- Barnes better command and peak stuff, but Webster has a better package of pitches. Speier's hears Webster's stuff is better than Barnes.
-- No one in baseball could believe the trade, "Shaking their heads, how did Boston get Webster and DLR?"
-- Cecchini solid D, high BA, high OBP, average power and speed... a lot of Pedroia comps.
-- Britton, Workman, Jacobs, Ranaudo, Johnson are the next group.
-- Who we might see make a huge jump up into the Top 5 next year: Ranaudo (stuff before injury in spring was great), Lin (might be best all around SS in system), Margot (So far away, BUT... talked about in system along lines of Hanley and Bogaerts)
-- Vitek was injured again, but might be time to let him play outfield and concentrate on hitting.
-- Callis says there are not a lot of teams that have farm systems he likes, but the Red Sox are one.
-- Touches on Mercedes, Montas, Buttrey; the Sox just have a ton of high ceiling. "When they hit on guys, they are gonna hit big."

I couldn't listen to the podcast here at work, so this is huge benefit and greatly appreciated. Feeling good about the future.

#22 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1934 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

I wonder where they'll rank the system this year? Considering they are high on tools (more so than any other publication, it seems), this might be the place where the Sox get their highest organization ranking.

Top 10 preseason system ranking combined with a top 10 performance ranking by BA = top five, imo.

#23 bill

• 685 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I keep hearing TX and Toronto are 1 and 2. I would think Boston has to be top 5 and wouldn't be surprised if they came in at 3. I also wouldn't be surprised if we check this group again in 10 years and find out, like the 2004 group, it was actually the best.

Edited by bill, 31 October 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#24 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 721 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Trying to extract anything meaningful whatsoever from a Bard/Owens comparison is insane. Bard was a disaster in Greenville and came out of an elite college program.

#25 someoneanywhere

• 3131 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Trying to extract anything meaningful whatsoever from a Bard/Owens comparison is insane. Bard was a disaster in Greenville and came out of an elite college program.

Sanity would begin with reading the post for the comparison it made, and not for the comparison you want to make for the sake of snark. The point was prospects and failure -- a point you accidentally reinforced in your second sentence -- not Bard and Owens.

#26 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 721 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, wow, really mind-expanding point there. Prospects sometimes falter when they move up. Cool. Ranking prospects is always a balancing act between ceiling and floor. I think Owens's ceiling/floor combo merits a higher ranking than that of Brentz, who, it should be said, is by no means a slam dunk to be any kind of MLB contributor at all (there's a long list of corner outfielders with ugly K/BB rates and solid power in the upper levels of the minors who didn't stick). Clearly you have a different opinion, and I don't think this conversation is going anywhere useful.

#27 Koufax

• 1883 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Then why do you continue it?

#28 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 721 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Quality post, Koufax, would read again. Anyway, about Boston's system ranking: top 5 wouldn't shock me, but I think at the very least San Diego (Keith Law's reigning #1 remains super deep), St. Louis (elite trio at the top end in Miller, Taveras and Martinez; quality depth with Wong, Adams, Rosenthal--think he's still eligible--Wacha, etc.), Arizona (stellar crop of pitchers, some solid-looking position players in the upper levels) and Minnesota (great top 7-8, though overall depth may be a bit lacking) will be serious challengers for the three slot.

#29 Detts

• 801 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Quality post, Koufax, would read again. Anyway, about Boston's system ranking: top 5 wouldn't shock me, but I think at the very least San Diego (Keith Law's reigning #1 remains super deep), St. Louis (elite trio at the top end in Miller, Taveras and Martinez; quality depth with Wong, Adams, Rosenthal--think he's still eligible--Wacha, etc.), Arizona (stellar crop of pitchers, some solid-looking position players in the upper levels) and Minnesota (great top 7-8, though overall depth may be a bit lacking) will be serious challengers for the three slot.

Congratulations! You win the thread!

Good Job! Good Effort!

#30 Detts

• 801 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Updated scouting reports on just popped up on BA. Pretty glowing commentary on Owens, really pretty similar to Detts observations above. Has the frame to add strength but power is really already sufficient. Plus change, slow curve for strikes, speedier slurve as out pitch. Maybe more upside than Barnes, Webster.

On a different note, I failed to mention my 'happy pants' to finally read (if I missed it from somewhere else, I apologize) his change being listed as 'plus'. I didn't have the stones to say it in my assessment as everything I have read has described it as 'below average' or 'average' (so I said 'when on', and assumed I was just uninformed about a 'plus' change). His change that I watched was just unfair. He made hitters almost spin around and swing twice when he threw it.

#31 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20332 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Out of all the awesome things from that discussion, this is by far the thing that has me the most excited. I realize it's not a consensus view and I realize that it very well may not even be true, but to have someone make that statement is a far cry better than what was being said this time last year. If he can actually stick at short, he's going to be a monster.

#32 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

On a different note, I failed to mention my 'happy pants' to finally read (if I missed it from somewhere else, I apologize) his change being listed as 'plus'. I didn't have the stones to say it in my assessment as everything I have read has described it as 'below average' or 'average' (so I said 'when on', and assumed I was just uninformed about a 'plus' change). His change that I watched was just unfair. He made hitters almost spin around and swing twice when he threw it.

Changeup is usually too harsh for low A lg hitters.

Edited by Again2004, 01 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#33 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1934 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Expedite discussion...

1) Having Bogaerts stick at short would obviously be ideal, but I'd hate to have any value in his bat be subtracted at any rate by his 'passable' defense there. I get leaving him be. To me, I'm more excited about a potential plus bat with above-average defense at a corner. /shameless plug for Iglesias.
2) Still skeptical Barnes remains a starter with a fringe-average changeup. That velo is so easy. You want to make a Bard comp? Barnes' it, imo.
3) I'm an advocate of having a strong bullpen, so I love all the flamethrowers the org is compiling. Barnes, Webster, Light, de la Rosa.
4) Swihart's ranking I thought would make some more skeptical than the Owens ranking.
5) Cecchini is some nice fucking trade bait.
6) Not sold on Brentz. There's a lot of holes in that swing that are already being exposed.

Edited by TheGoldenGreek33, 02 November 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#34 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

4) Swihart's ranking I thought would make some more skeptical than the Owens ranking.
5) Cecchini is some nice fucking trade bait.

I'd rank them 3 Cecchini and 4 Swihart and would move any of the pitchers over them.

#35 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 721 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

I am curious about why Christian Vazquez never gets any love in these kinds of rankings. I don't think I heard his name in the podcast and he doesn't even make the top 30 on soxprospects.com. By all accounts he's a fantastic defensive catcher, and had a great offensive season in Greenville a year ago. He had some struggles in A+ this past year, and his tiny amount of PA's in AA were uninspiring, but the K/BB numbers remained promising. He's only 21, and right now (I know this only means so much) is doing quite well for himself at the plate in the AFL. Is his low ranking just a reflection of the depth of the Red Sox system, or do scouts just not like his potential at the plate?

#36 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

I never heard that Brentz has lots of holes in his swing. His problem is poor approach. He is a free swinger. But he refined a lot this season.

#37 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7221 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Brentz has this to say:

Every aspect of his game needs work, Brentz said. He is learning how to make adjustments at the plate but hastened to add, "First, I need to take more pride in my defense."

And

"But I think it's like when you mess up, when you get the 3-1 pitch or the 2-0 pitch you've been looking for, and you miss it and then you take that out there with you. I think that's what happens. That's the biggest thing, but it's all about learning and growing as a player."

link: Brentz working in AFL at shaking off bad at-bats

#38 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2692 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Brentz has this to say:

Every aspect of his game needs work, Brentz said. He is learning how to make adjustments at the plate but hastened to add, "First, I need to take more pride in my defense."

And

"But I think it's like when you mess up, when you get the 3-1 pitch or the 2-0 pitch you've been looking for, and you miss it and then you take that out there with you. I think that's what happens. That's the biggest thing, but it's all about learning and growing as a player."

link: Brentz working in AFL at shaking off bad at-bats

Brentz's age has always concerned me. Generally players are making this adjustment at a younger age, and if they haven't improved their approach enough by his age to strike out less at the AA level it's a red flag. But maybe Brentz is an exception because he had so much success in college with a poor approach, and now that he has experienced some failure it is forcing him to adjust.

Also, on another topic discussed upthread, BA isn't the only ones high on Owens. Sickels had him at the back end of his top 50 pitching prospects at the end of the season.

#39 bill

• 685 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I am curious about why Christian Vazquez never gets any love in these kinds of rankings. I don't think I heard his name in the podcast and he doesn't even make the top 30 on soxprospects.com. By all accounts he's a fantastic defensive catcher, and had a great offensive season in Greenville a year ago. He had some struggles in A+ this past year, and his tiny amount of PA's in AA were uninspiring, but the K/BB numbers remained promising. He's only 21, and right now (I know this only means so much) is doing quite well for himself at the plate in the AFL. Is his low ranking just a reflection of the depth of the Red Sox system, or do scouts just not like his potential at the plate?

I think part of it may be that he repeated low class A in 2011. When players get "held back a grade" I think it casts them in a dimmer light, especially when that happens at the lowest level. I think Almanzar is suffering from similar skepticism, fair or not, for spending parts of 3 seasons in Greenville. If both players can perform in Portland this year, provided they are not lost in the Rule 5, I think there will be more enthusiasm for them both.

#40 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Christian Vazquez might be a bit underrated in the deep system but he isn't valued high because he has contact issues with average bat speed and limited hitting zone.

#41 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 9210 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

according to @jimcallisBA, here are best minors systems: 1 stl 2 sea 3 mia 4 tex 5 bos 6 tb 7 minn 8 pitt 9 az 10 hou

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/288768185711337472
link to tweet

#42 Joshv02

• 1397 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Here is the Ask BA where Jim gave some reasoning:

http://www.baseballa...12/2614530.html

#43 pokey_reese

• 4832 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Here is Callis' write up on the system from the end of October that the original list came from:

http://www.baseballa...13/2614265.html

Not a lot of extra content, but it has the "best tools" categories, etc. Didn't see the link.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users