Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Tim Bogar not returning to Red Sox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14501 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

On most baseball teams, the manager and the bench coach work closely together and are often close friends. But Bobby Valentine and Tim Bogar went long stretches without speaking this past season.
Valentine was fired as Red Sox manager Oct. 4, and on Thursday came word from team sources that Bogar will not be returning.
Bogar, 45, spent four seasons with the Sox. He was the first base coach in 2009, the third base coach from 2010-11, and then the bench coach.

Peter Abraham
http://www.boston.co...x&dlvrit=199675

#2 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9650 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Not a shock.

#3 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3136 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

I wonder how 'long stretch' is defined. It would seem odd to me if they had no interaction at all during the length of an entire baseball game and he makes it seem as if they went days.

#4 Stuart Scott's Lazy Eye

• Sad Sack

• 1655 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Bog got a raw deal in my opinion. I think for one, his amount of interaction (or lack thereof) got exaggerated by BV. Secondly, he had to actually deal with BV in the first place. By the sounds of it when he was responding to Bobby's comments about Ortiz it seemed like all the players really trusted him and they found him to be easy to talk to. I understand the "clear house" mentality after last season but it's kind of a shame and now Bogar has to answer questions about his "undermining" his old manager in Boston whenever he goes in for an interview with another team.

#5 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11087 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I understand the "clear house" mentality after last season but it's kind of a shame and now Bogar has to answer questions about his "undermining" his old manager in Boston whenever he goes in for an interview with another team.

On the other hand he can respond pretty simply: "It was Bobby Valentine. Which one of us do you think was more likely to be acting like a 13-YO girl?"

#6 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2581 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Bog got a raw deal in my opinion. I think for one, his amount of interaction (or lack thereof) got exaggerated by BV. Secondly, he had to actually deal with BV in the first place. By the sounds of it when he was responding to Bobby's comments about Ortiz it seemed like all the players really trusted him and they found him to be easy to talk to. I understand the "clear house" mentality after last season but it's kind of a shame and now Bogar has to answer questions about his "undermining" his old manager in Boston whenever he goes in for an interview with another team.

I think and hope this has nothing to do with what Bobby said about him and more to do with letting Farrell choose the coaches that he's going to lead and trust to implement his philosophies.

#7 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4259 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Not really surprising that Bogar is out. I think the writing was on the wall the minute the Lovullo as bench coach stories surfaced. Even with a new manager/regime, I don't think appearing to take a step backward and resuming a base coach position is in his best interest career-wise. Go somewhere else and doing that is one thing (Demarlo Hale did it this year) but not within the same org.

And I'm in agreement with the notion that he's getting a bit of a raw deal. Bobby V's allegations that some of his coaches undermined him is going to stain Bogar in future job opportunities a lot like the pill popping allegations did to Tito last winter. Maybe Bogar latches on to Tito's staff in Cleveland...I doubt Tito would concern himself with anything Valentine had to say about Bogar.

#8 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Francona is still shopping, probably very good chance he goes to Cleveland to serve as base coach, with Alomar and Mills also likely on staff, one of them as bench coach.

EDIT: beaten by RHF

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 25 October 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#9 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 11650 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Francona is still shopping, probably very good chance he goes to Cleveland to serve as base coach, with Alomar and Mills also likely on staff, one of them as bench coach.

EDIT: beaten by RHF

Francona, Alomar, Mills, Bogar? That's an outstanding staff I'd go to war with any day. If the Indians have any success at all it's easy to see some of those guys get poached.

#10 Paul M

• SoSH Member

• 10376 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

The bench coach needs to be a consigliere and confidant that Farrell trusts 100% and it has to be his call and I'm not surprised he wants a guy he's battled with and known well over the last 2 years. I hope it's Lovullo.

#11 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21766 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

This is great news. Let Farrell build his staff exactly as he wants to.

#12 JimD

• 4414 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I have to think that Francona would be willing to give Bogar glowing references if he interviews with another team. He'll be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users