Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Bobby V says Ortiz quit on Sox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
140 replies to this topic

#1 pjr

• 437 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

"David Ortiz came back after spending about six weeks on the disabled list and we thought it was only going to be a week. He got two hits the first two times up, drove in a couple runs; we were off to the races. Then he realized that this trade meant that we’re not going to run this race and we’re not even going to finish the race properly and he decided not to play anymore. I think at that time it was all downhill from there."

http://hardballtalk...._medium=twitter

#2 Yazdog8

• 3903 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yes Bobby, blame David for not sacrificing the rest of his career on a blown Achilles just so you could get another year to manage.

#3 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22725 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Ortiz is going to tear him to pieces in the media.

#4 Toe Nash

• 2949 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

F you Bobby. We're over it, we're moving on, and your extended 15 minutes of fame is over. (Boo Costas for trolling for ratings here).

Ortiz was pretty clearly hurt as the link mentioned. If it was a playoff race he might have contributed but there's no sense risking it for him considering he was a potential FA and he didn't really know if the team would want to re-sign him. This makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Toe Nash, 23 October 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#5 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16472 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Seems like it will be a pretty long line of "it's my fault for not understanding that this other guy whose fault it really is was going to let me down."

I'm just glad the worst season of baseball of my lifetime (I realize that I am spoiled) is over and that we will get these little reminders of how glad we are that it is over.

edit: just to say that 1994 was actually worse, so, second worst.

#6 BoSox Rule

• 1419 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Good, hopefully....no forget hopefully...he's definitely going to say something at some point that costs him his 2013 salary.

#7 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11232 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well, it's not like anybody thought he was going to go gentle into that good night, is it?

#8 SoxLegacy

• 539 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

Undoubtedly so. Also agreed that it seems pretty low for Costas to interview this assclown.

#9 BoSox Rule

• 1419 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Undoubtedly so. Also agreed that it seems pretty low for Costas to interview this assclown.

Not really. His job is to get people to watch, which I'm sure most here will.

#10 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1609 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

You're probably right, but it won't be me. I already caught that show 162 times this year. That's more than enough for me.

#11 SoxLegacy

• 539 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Very true. As noted above, I won't be tuning in either.

#12 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12251 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

I want Lucchino to watch. I want him to watch HIS guy, who HE got back into the Show, trash everything and everyone on the way out. Sweet Jesus, I want him to see Valentine say that ownership didn't have his back. And then, I want him to unleash the hounds in a way that makes Tito's exit look like a heartfelt goodbye party.

#13 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25360 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

That's the biggest load of shit ever.

I was at the game where Ortiz re-injured himself, his last game of the year. It was blindingly apparent from the pavilion seats that Ortiz was having a very difficult time running the bases, that something was obviously wrong with him physically.

I suppose that sociopath narcissist manager would have just loved to have Ortiz ruin his career by trying to play through a significant injury, just to make Valentine feel better. Fuck that noise.

#14 fineyoungarm

• ask me how to be redundant!

• 3662 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

I want Lucchino to watch. I want him to watch HIS guy, who HE got back into the Show, trash everything and everyone on the way out. Sweet Jesus, I want him to see Valentine say that ownership didn't have his back. And then, I want him to unleash the hounds in a way that makes Tito's exit look like a heartfelt goodbye party.

JBS - if there is such a thing, you have accurate passion. But, my bet is that he has just enough discipline not to gig the guys that are writing checks payable to one BV,

#15 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27921 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Bobby wants people to talk about him. He's gone. He's not coming back, his career is over. I hope Papi and everyone else ignores this stupidity and leaves it in the past. Nothing to be gained by even acknowledging this asshole.

#16 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10766 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Bobby wants people to talk about him. He's gone. He's not coming back, his career is over. I hope Papi and everyone else ignores this stupidity and leaves it in the past. Nothing to be gained by even acknowledging this asshole.

Does that include everyone on here?

#17 Delicious Sponge

• 1016 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Is there anyone on this ballclub that Bobby liked, or even respected?

Stay classy, Bobby.

#18 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10970 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Is there anyone on this ballclub that Bobby liked, or even respected?

Stay classy, Bobby.

Yeah, himself. I'm so glad he is gone.

#19 Dick Pole Upside

• 3326 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Just a ridiculously stupid and pointless thing to say. He has absolutely zero credibility... It's really even more bizarre than his in-season comments.

#20 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8030 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

No surprise. Nothing new.

There's no filter between brain and mouth.

Not before he got to Boston, not during his time in Boston and apparently not now.

#21 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27921 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Does that include everyone on here?

Well, I don't think that really matters. But for any members of the team or front office to get involved in a war or words with the disgraced loser ex-manager of the team seems pointless, and it's what Bobby wants. Of course, it's pointless for us too but that's kind of beside the point.

#22 pedros hairstylist

• Allison?

• PipPipPip
  • 5577 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

To paraphrase the great philosopher Dennis Green: "He is the fetid, syphilitic douche factory we thought he was."

#23 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9218 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

#24 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16515 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Bobby's like the scorpion in the tale of the scorpion and the frog. He can't resist stinging the frog even though it'll mean his drowning. The stakes aren't that high for Bobby but he just can't resist being a prick even though it will only be like a huge bellows blowing air across the embers of dislike for him, rousing them into roaring flame.

#25 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37249 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image

#26 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16515 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Can you imagine the fighting going on amongst the Glob and Heraldo writers over getting the juiciest anecdote about what a fvckup Bobby V was?

#27 mabrowndog

• 37249 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Can you imagine the fighting going on amongst the Glob and Heraldo writers over getting the juiciest anecdote about what a fvckup Bobby V was?

Cafardo will just stick his fingers in his ears while repeating his "na-na-na-na-na-na-can't-hear-you" incantation.

#28 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12251 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Bobby's first answer, translated: "Owners, Larry.....nothing I'm about to say applies to you at all, promise."

#29 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15788 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Make sure your coaches speak your language.

#30 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7186 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

This interview will be useless unless Costas busts out the pic of Pedey and BV sleeping on the table.

#31 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 7646 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Pretty obvious Ben didn't have anything to do with Valentine and vis versa. He never got data reports, stat reports, etc from him, apparently.

#32 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 9240 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

(Boo Costas for trolling for ratings here).

Yeah, how dare he!

#33 Laser Show

• 3208 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

He did the same thing Tito did with the 3 envelopes....

#34 Corsi

• 9240 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Bobby V hopes Farrell will call him for advice. #RedSox

https://twitter.com/MikeSilvermanBB/status/260927875933425665
link to tweet

LOL

#35 pjr

• 437 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Pete Abraham@PeteAbe
RT @middlebrooks: He's right.. Never happened. Just to set things straight.

#36 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15788 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well that sucked.

#37 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10766 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Pretty obvious Ben didn't have anything to do with Valentine and vis versa. He never got data reports, stat reports, etc from him, apparently.

He said the exact opposite at the Saber Seminar, unless my memory is faulty.

#38 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7731 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Pete Abraham@PeteAbe

What was this in reference to?

#39 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 12654 posts

Ah move on already. I think it's pretty apparent that most of the guys packed it in after "The Punto Trade", Pedey excluded who played his ass off. Have not seen the Costas interview. However, wasn't this Papi's decision alone? If he shut it down, so what? Nothing to be gained by playing. No big deal. Much ado about nothing.

#40 mabrowndog

• 37249 posts

Make sure your coaches speak your language.

Not sure there as many baseball tutors fluent in Ancient Douche as Bobby seems to believe.

#41 koufax32

• He'll cry if he wants to...

• 3359 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

Pete Abraham‏@PeteAbe

What is WMB referencing here?

#42 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12251 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

What is WMB referencing here?

The "nice inning" comment after WMB booted a couple.

#43 Corsi

• 9240 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

The "nice inning" comment after WMB booted a couple.

Bizarre, because Valentine basically confirms he did say it back in August:

Then he volunteered a story about his exchange with Middlebrooks, which had gone unreported at the time and had not surfaced publicly until he brought it up.

“Matter of fact, ownership did come and said they heard that when Will Middlebrooks made two errors in a game and he came off the field and into the dugout, I said, ‘Nice inning, Will,’ and maybe that upset him.’’’

Valentine said what ownership didn’t know is that after the game he’d gone to Middlebrooks and offered him reassurance.

In his pregame media session Thursday, Valentine laughed when asked about the fallout from the story.

“It happened 2 1/2 months ago,’’ he said. “Most stupid thing I ever said … on a radio program. But it also was ridiculous for someone to repeat. I think that’s the point I was trying to make.’’

http://espn.go.com/b...r-said-on-radio

#44 stormmon

• 344 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Did Costas actually think that 3 envelope story was real? That's gotta be 100 years old. Of course delusional Mr.I invented the wrap sandwich probably thinks he really did that too.

#45 Toe Nash

• 2949 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, how dare he!

1. He's allowed to, and I'm allowed to call him on it.
2. Costas is a guy who pretends to be intellectual and appreciate the beautiful side of the game and all kinds of bullshit. This should be below his persona that he's cultivated but in reality he's no better than CHB or anyone else.

#46 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7380 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Perhaps Bobby is doing a favor for the Sox. The one guy you can't really insult is Papi (and likely Pedroia). He shits on Papi, RSN goes predictably ballistic, the team rallies around new manager, interest in the team rises for a spell, and ownership kinda shrugs its shoulders, pats themselves on the back for getting rid of the guy, and hope no one remembers their 7 week search less than a year ago yielded that choice.

Or, Bobby V is just an idiot.

#47 triniSox

• 1113 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Perhaps Bobby is doing a favor for the Sox. The one guy you can't really insult is Papi (and likely Pedroia). He shits on Papi, RSN goes predictably ballistic, the team rallies around new manager, interest in the team rises for a spell, and ownership kinda shrugs its shoulders, pats themselves on the back for getting rid of the guy, and hope no one remembers their 7 week search less than a year ago yielded that choice.

Or, Bobby V is just an idiot.

Considerable evidence would point to the latter

#48 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 24702 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

"I wouldn't be trying to re-sign him if I had any concern about David's commitment to baseball or to the Red Sox," Cherington said. "During a trying year, David was a leader for us on and off the field. Unfortunately, an Achilles injury cut his season short. It was a tough break in a season full of tough breaks for us."

#49 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7731 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

1. He's allowed to, and I'm allowed to call him on it.
2. Costas is a guy who pretends to be intellectual and appreciate the beautiful side of the game and all kinds of bullshit. This should be below his persona that he's cultivated but in reality he's no better than CHB or anyone else.

You can't be serious--the guy was just a manager in Boston and got fired. It was a story all season. He's interviewing him. What on earth are you talking about? Of course you'd try to get Bobby Valentine on your sports/ baseball interview show right now.

What are you calling him on, exactly?

#50 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14164 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Say goodnight Bobby....we've moved on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users