Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Coaching Staff

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#101 curly2

• 2689 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I hope Colbrunn will preach to the hitters to be more disciplined than he was. His walk rate was OK in 2000, but every other year it was horrible.

#102 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4998 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I hope Colbrunn will preach to the hitters to be more disciplined than he was. His walk rate was OK in 2000, but every other year it was horrible.

Magadan was extremely patient in his playing career (14.5% career BB%). That didn't seem to rub off on many of his charges, particularly in the latter part of his tenure. Lesson being, I don't think we can infer much about coaching philosophy, style, and effectiveness based on one's playing career.

#103 someoneanywhere

• 3158 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

A player's stats have very little to do -- nothing to do, in my opinion -- with coaching effectiveness or philosophy. Some of the best hitters in the game have turned into awful coaches, or ineffective ones, while marginal guys have been known to do very well for themselves. Teaching and doing are very different things. One can know what to do, and not be able to do it, just as one can do it without being able to explain or convey why.

Colbrunn's career would be particularly misleading to anyone at a bird's eye view. My recollection is that after 1998 or so, he was not an everyday player. I also remember him as being that one bat everyone wanted to have on their bench for both the occasional start and the guy in a pinch.

His major league stats are important for one reason: they show a long career in the bigs. That, more than anything, will carry weight with both the veterans and the younger bats -- the latter of whom will also appreciate that he did his time in the bushes.

Edited by someoneanywhere, 29 November 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#104 redsoxstiff

• hip-tossed Yogi in a bar fight

• 6657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

What he said...

Think of Ted as a batting coach...How does a super batter aid a slumping 275. hitter when he had little to no experience himself...Ted was a lousy manager too...He is still my hero after 66 years...

#105 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9675 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Victor Rodriguez is assistant hitting coach

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/274641560728121344
link to tweet

#106 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38078 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Great news. Two internal promotions on the coaching staff under a new manager.

#107 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10934 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I moved the Tuck posts to the Tuck thread to keep it all in one place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users