Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Complain about podcasts here

64 replies to this topic

#1 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16374 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have a feeling most of us listen to the same podcasts - ESPN Baseball/Football Today, Rany & Joe, Marek vs. Wyshynski, etc. etc. - and we don't really have a place to discuss them. I'm also all for finding out about good sports podcasts I'm not already listening to and with radio stations all over the place putting up their interviews as podcasts it would be good to find out whether some station in St. Louis just had an amazing two-hour podcast with a guy who wrote the definitive book on Stan Musial or something.

I'll get it started here - I've been listening to Rany & Joe since the start and while I often don't get around to it until their takes are well out of date I do really enjoy hearing them talk about baseball. It's hardcore.

That said, I've just about had it with his FIGJAM* attitude to stuff. The "Why aren't people listening to ME" tone and the playoffs are just another example of this. I know their latest podcast was released before Game 3, but his bloviating over how the Yankees were horribly screwed by the scheduling is whining at this point. Stop fucking whining all the time, you moany little elf. We get you don't like the format but at this point he's just bitch, bitch, bitch and he's not above distorting the truth to try and make his point.

*Fuck I'm Good, Just Ask Me

#2 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11743 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

The fake drafts on the Poscast are played out.

#3 cwright

• 2313 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

The fake drafts on the Poscast are played out.

I was just about to post that. Sadly, Poscasts have been rare over the last year, with Joe Pos doing the Paterno story.

Baseball Today is decent when Keith Law is on - I actually don't mind his "I'm smarter than everyone" thing, because he's pretty funny about it.

The daily BP podcast (Effectively Wild) has really grown on me, though one of the hosts has a voice that makes you want to fall asleep.

My favorite baseball podcast is the BTR Fantasy Baseball from FantasyPros911, though, because I like the personalities of the people on the show. Not a ton of "inside" information, but no gimmicks either - they just talk baseball for about an hour a week.

#4 teddywingman

• Looks like Zach Galifianakis

• 3391 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Anything with matt berry is hard to tolerate.

#5 nattysez

• 1371 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

Sheehan and Rany have steadily become unlistenable, which is a shame. They talk about Strasburg being shut down for about 20 minutes every podcast - it's ridiculous. They strike me as guys who can't believe Kevin Goldstein got a MLB gig while they are still stuck doing what they do, so they need to go on FIGJAM rants every week. Sheehan, in particular, was chastened after he made fun of everyone who told him that the Sox were in real danger of missing the playoffs in September 2011 and acted like he'd start listening to others at the start of the year. But that's gone out the window. He actually had the audacity tonight to tweet how he couldn't believe that any Boston fan would dare boo one of the Boston teams given their recent run of success. A Yankees fan tweeting demonstrates a stunning lack of self-awareness.

More to the point of this thread, the ESPN poker podcast is now pretty much impossible to listen to. Andrew Feldman is a horrific interviewer and the podcast is just terribly put together week after week.

#6 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16374 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I actually don't think Rany thinks like that, he's usually taking the more moderate position and trying to talk Sheehan from jumping off a cliff because somebody used a LOOGY in the 6th inning. On a more basic level, the man's a successful dermatologist. Unless some team is willing to offer him the GM role MLB isn't going to pay enough for him to enter the industry.

Sheehan, on the other hand, seems to think he should be the Commissioner, not just an MLB GM or a scouting director like Goldstein is.

I was just about to post that. Sadly, Poscasts have been rare over the last year, with Joe Pos doing the Paterno story.

Baseball Today is decent when Keith Law is on - I actually don't mind his "I'm smarter than everyone" thing, because he's pretty funny about it.

The daily BP podcast (Effectively Wild) has really grown on me, though one of the hosts has a voice that makes you want to fall asleep.

My favorite baseball podcast is the BTR Fantasy Baseball from FantasyPros911, though, because I like the personalities of the people on the show. Not a ton of "inside" information, but no gimmicks either - they just talk baseball for about an hour a week.

See, I didn't know about Effectively Wild so this thread's already paid off for me. Boring host is why I don't listen to Fangraphs too much. Carson Cistulli's indie ironic bored NPR host schtick kills hearing Dayn Perry say something crazy or hearing Dave Cameron.

#7 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1709 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

or a scouting director like Goldstein is.

FWIW: Goldstein wasn't hired as scouting director. He was hired as scouting coordinator, which essentially means he is in charge of assigning scouts to specific areas to see players.

#8 nattysez

• 1371 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I actually don't think Rany thinks like that, he's usually taking the more moderate position and trying to talk Sheehan from jumping off a cliff because somebody used a LOOGY in the 6th inning. On a more basic level, the man's a successful dermatologist. Unless some team is willing to offer him the GM role MLB isn't going to pay enough for him to enter the industry.

Rany's level of hysteria has increased quite a bit of late. Maybe it's just a Strasburg thing.

#9 americantrotter

• 273 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

I don't think I'll make many friends stating that I listen to the BS report, but I like the guests and I can cherry pick when he talks NFL or Boston sports.

In general I find sports podcasts lacking.

I wish I knew of a timely or smart NFL podcast for Monday morning download, I'd love a Patriots centered one, but that may be asking too much. I've seen the official Patriots stuff, but I have no interest in the radio post game, I want well thought out dialogue.

Edited by americantrotter, 22 October 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#10 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16374 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

The ESPN Football Today podcast used to be reasonably intelligent, but they inexplicably stopped using Matt Williamson on Monday shows. Since Ross Tucker does radio it means he's basically reading off a box score while Williamson actually watched 5-6 games a week.

#11 Stevie1der

• 416 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

The ESPN Football Today podcast used to be reasonably intelligent, but they inexplicably stopped using Matt Williamson on Monday shows. Since Ross Tucker does radio it means he's basically reading off a box score while Williamson actually watched 5-6 games a week.

Sadly, I think they decided that Williamson's talents were best served behind the paywall. Sad, because the Monday wrap ups really have lost some luster without him.

#12 ForKeeps

• 345 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I agree wrt the Cistulli description above in general, definitely, but I thought the one he did with his grandfather was cute.

#13 touchstone033

• 180 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

I like ESPN's baseball today -- Law is good, Simon is entertaining. But, man, I miss Up and In.

#14 inoffensiv philosophy

• 141 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

I've been listening to Rany & Joe episodes a lot this week whilst doing work. Joe Sheehan has the attitude, sense of humour and voice of a smart-alecky 15 year old, and not in a charming way at all. He was talking in a recent episode (might even be today's) about how David Eckstein is overrated or something -- like jesus, how much of a dullard are you that you think that;s still an interesting talking point? Rany seems like a nice guy and has a pleasingly deep voice. I've been going back and listening to preseason episodes now, and the main thing I'm noticing is how wrong they are about absolutely everything. This stuff is difficult and I'm not suggesting I want them to 'do better' or even really care how 'well' they do, but surely this should generate some self-awareness (and not Sheehan's smug 'well-maybe-that's-just-me' faux-self-interrogation bs)?

#15 Fishercat

• Svelte and sexy!

• 4352 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

What is probably, technically, ESPN's best podcast (in that they cover all their topics pretty well with hosts that have a solid understanding of the game) is ending as Baseball Today is shutting its doors next week. It will be replaced by a "Baseball Tonight" podcast, since we all need to hear more from ESPN's Baseball Tonight talent. Hugely disappointing. 

Anyone have good general baseball podcast suggestions? Anyone else have input on the Fangraphs or Effectively Wild podcasts?

#16 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5995 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

What is probably, technically, ESPN's best podcast (in that they cover all their topics pretty well with hosts that have a solid understanding of the game) is ending as Baseball Today is shutting its doors next week. It will be replaced by a "Baseball Tonight" podcast, since we all need to hear more from ESPN's Baseball Tonight talent. Hugely disappointing. 

Anyone have good general baseball podcast suggestions? Anyone else have input on the Fangraphs or Effectively Wild podcasts?

NOOOOOOOO! I assume they announced it yesterday? I downloaded but have not yet listened to it.

Edited by Pearl Wilson, 01 February 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#17 Paradigm

• juju all over his tits

• 5886 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

ESPN unjustly cancels Baseball Today podcast: http://www.theumpire...l-today-podcast

#18 Dalton Jones

• 1336 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Men in Blazers. Grantland podcast. Love it.

#19 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8695 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Wow. And they cancelled it right before Law's top 100 which is coming soon. Idiots.

#20 scottyno

• 2851 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Wow. And they cancelled it right before Law's top 100 which is coming soon. Idiots.

Technically its not over yet, Karabell said he'd be saying his goodbyes next week I think, yesterday was Mark Simon's last episode, so I assume Keith Law will be on next week, not sure when his top 100 comes out.  Still a horrible decision though, I love that its intelligent baseball discussion and entertaining to listen to, and having the espn name giving them access to guests helps too.

#21 touchstone033

• 180 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

First "Up and In" went, and now "Baseball Today." I listen regularly to the Fangraphs podcast and "Effectively Wild," but neither touches the other two. I'm willing to give Olney the benefit of the doubt, but if the podcast drags in its unbearable Baseball Tonight "talent," I'm done. The idea of an overproduced, shallow format to lure in lowest common denominator fans to the podcast makes me ill just thinking of it.

Fangraphs podcast is decent when Dave Cameron is on, but the other shows are almost painful to listen to. Not the greatest voice personalities. Cistulli's schtick gets old fast, and Cameron can sometimes tend towards bullyish and arrogant, especially when defending his sometimes questionable assertions. Cistulli never challenges him. It's kind of like the Court Jester interviews a Very Serious Man. Still, Cameron's brain is worth picking.

Effectively Wild is much better. Lindbergh and Miller are enjoyable to listen to, the show's on daily, and I like the format, where they pick a topic each day to talk about. Again, good brains to pick.

Still neither is as fun to listen to as Up and In and Baseball Today.

Ugh.

#22 mattymatty2000

• 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I (Matthew Kory) was on Effectively Wild with Sam Miller and Ben Lindbergh twice last week. Which was a joy, both of them are, in my humble opinion, terrific writers and exceptionally knowledgable about baseball. I was on previewing the Blue Jays and Red Sox, two chapters I wrote in the upcoming Baseball Prospectus Annual. There are some other baseball podcasts that people might be interested in listening to.

1. The Score (from Canada) does a baseball podcast weekly (I think) during the off-season. It gets much more frequent during the season. It's called Getting Blanked.
  2. Also from Canada, Runs Batted Out is a site that just started a podcast. I like the site though I'll be honest and say I haven't listened to the podcast yet.
  3. Productive Outs does a podcast about baseball and music. The hosts are funny and knowledgeable about baseball though they don't really delve into hard statistical analysis.
  4. I do a podcast with Jason Wojciechowski (also of Baseball Prospectus) called the Back of the Bullpen Podcast. It comes out on the weekends (roughly).

[edited for formatting]

[also apologies for potentially coming across as a self-promoting jackass]

Edited by mattymatty2000, 03 February 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#23 ForKeeps

• 345 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

You mean to tell me that ESPN cares more about ratings/popularity than producing quality, intelligent content? That said, I'm surprised Baseball Today's "ratings" were bad enough to kill it.

#24 Comeback Kid

• 766 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

There's definitely a void to be filled with the departure of Up and In. Effectively Wild is decent replacement and the short format works well. I also would have to recommend the Fantasy Baseball Roundtable podcast although it obviously has a fantasy bent.

#25 touchstone033

• 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I (Matthew Kory) was on Effectively Wild with Sam Miller and Ben Lindbergh twice last week. Which was a joy, both of them are, in my humble opinion, terrific writers and exceptionally knowledgable about baseball. I was on previewing the Blue Jays and Red Sox, two chapters I wrote in the upcoming Baseball Prospectus Annual. There are some other baseball podcasts that people might be interested in listening to.

1. The Score (from Canada) does a baseball podcast weekly (I think) during the off-season. It gets much more frequent during the season. It's called Getting Blanked.

2. Also from Canada, Runs Batted Out is a site that just started a podcast. I like the site though I'll be honest and say I haven't listened to the podcast yet.

3. Productive Outs does a podcast about baseball and music. The hosts are funny and knowledgeable about baseball though they don't really delve into hard statistical analysis.

4. I do a podcast with Jason Wojciechowski (also of Baseball Prospectus) called the Back of the Bullpen Podcast. It comes out on the weekends (roughly).

[edited for formatting]

[also apologies for potentially coming across as a self-promoting jackass]

Apologies accepted. And thanks for the recommendations. I enjoyed your chat greatly on "Effectively Wild," tho' I'm surprised you didn't have the cojones to pick the Jays to win the AL East!

#26 touchstone033

• 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

There's definitely a void to be filled with the departure of Up and In. Effectively Wild is decent replacement and the short format works well. I also would have to recommend the Fantasy Baseball Roundtable podcast although it obviously has a fantasy bent.

Man, fantasy podcasts drive me nuts. Too much talk about saves and stolen bases. And I play fantasy bball!

Edited by touchstone033, 03 February 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#27 inoffensiv philosophy

• 141 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I listened to a lot of Effectively Wild over the Christmas / New Year period (so I'm about six weeks behind now and will need to catch up), and enjoyed it quite a lot. Lindbergh and Miller are both drama-free, pleasant and have pretty refreshingly self-effacing attitudes to baseball and what they do as analysts/journalists. But, on the other hand, this doesn't prevent them from making decisive, even paradigm-shifting, calls (most notably, at least over the period I heard, about the value of pitch-framing). They are likeable human beings, and although the podcast isn't uproarious, it really has its moments in terms of humour and levity. Sam Miller's diversion about his history of pedal error (whilst driving) was actually quite beautiful, and endeared him to me a great deal. Also Ben Lindbergh sounds a lot like Sandy, the snobby fashion club president from Daria, which is a huge, huge bonus.

Despite my earlier, not-entirely-complimentary, remarks about R&J, I find myself missing it at present -- it was long and thorough in its analysis even if not profound very often. And although Sheehan could really grate and has that like obnoxious/cliche-patchwork sense of humour that I can't stand, I guess I'm ultimately 'on his side' and a lot of his Twitter retorts to BBWAA guys w/r/t Hall of Fame voting were judicious and pointed without being malicious or cringeworthy. So he's capable of being a non-douche.

Spurred by my positive experiences with EW, I looked in on BP's fantasy podcast. I turned off the episode after half an hour (it was like two and a half hours total) -- just way too much honking, and I've never played fantasy anyway.

BA's podcast is good, I think -- I'm not a huge prospect watcher outside of the Sox, so I can't judge their analysis too well. But the guys aren't annoying, even if the one fellow does seem to want to cram a Seinfeld reference into every episode. I love Seinfeld, like everybody else, but it feels like too much of a nineties revivalist thing or something? Dunno.

Anybody any thoughts about Ian Miller and Riley Breckenridge's Productive Outs. I don't find the blog very funny and their appearance (or was it just Miller?) on EW left me totally cold. As would the music stuff probably. So not even sure why I'm asking. What is it with podcasts that take like a ~~lighter look~~ at baseball and that end up just being like not as funny as EW and full of endless jokes about how ho-ho this 70s baseball card has a bloke with an afro/thick glasses/'funny' hair... I imagine that's what POs would be like...

Edited by inoffensiv philosophy, 11 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#28 touchstone033

• 180 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Anybody else listen to Baseball Tonight today? It's as bad as I hoped it wouldn't be...

#29 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11743 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Men in Blazers. Grantland podcast. Love it.

Big fan. Michael Davies is hit-or-miss, but Rog Bennett is a riot.

There's a ton of great soccer podcasts out there.  Football Weekly from the Guardian is a reliable mix of analysis and entertainment, and The Football Ramble is a terrific semi-pro production.  BBC Radio 5 Live's World Football Phone-In gives an outstanding amount of information about the game globally, and the European Football Show just re-launched as a source of straight analysis about continental European leagues and the Champions League.

#30 dirtynine

• 2959 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Gus Johnson is on the next MIB to discuss his future in soccer announcing... looking forward to it. 

#31 BS_SoxFan

• 1895 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Anybody else listen to Baseball Tonight today? It's as bad as I hoped it wouldn't be...

I've avoided the new Baseball Tonight podcast but Keith Law did note in a recent chat that he has a new podcast is in the works. So there's some hope after getting rid of Baseball Today for seemingly no reason.

#32 Fishercat

• Svelte and sexy!

• 4352 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Baseball Tonight wasn't terrible, but it was a bit discouraging for reasons outside the podcast. I like Olney as the host, but it's just kind of lifeless so far. The guests he's getting are high caliber (Crasnick, Kurkjian, Stark) but it really just reads like a watered down version of the Baseball Tonight TV show. The "Today" podcast filled a niche missing in ESPN's baseball coverage (in-depth, sabermetrically-inclined coverage with different viewpoints on big stories), while the Tonight one is augmenting what it does on TV.

I wonder how much better the ratings would have been on Baseball Today if they were able to actually get consistent interviews with guys like Stark, Kurkjian, Olney, and Crasnick. 

I'm still subscribed for now, but I probably only have time for one baseball podcast a day and Effectively Wild is making a good first impression on me.

#33 cwright

• 2313 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I totally agree with the recent comments on Effectively Wild.  It has gotten better and better since its inception, and the hosts seem like genuinely likeable and funny people, as well as knowledgeable and intelligent.  I listen to them every day on the way to work now, which means they've moved to the top of my podcast rotation.

I totally agree with inoffensiv philosophy's take on the BP fantasy podcast (obnoxious personalities, not funny, and with gratuitous swearing that irritated me) and the generally positive review of BA's podcast.  I also like Posnanski's podcast, when it actually comes out (which isn't often).

Not a fan of Productive Outs - the music was not at all enjoyable, and the content wasn't enough to make me endure the musical interludes. 

I really enjoyed Keith Law on Baseball Today (though I found Karabell pretty annoying), so I was sad to hear it was ending.  I do like Buster Olney, but the first episode of Baseball Tonight wasn't encouraging.  (I haven't listened to the second one yet.)  I enjoyed his discussions with Stark and Kurkjian, but not his monologues.  That podcast really needs a co-host or a better format.

Edited by cwright, 13 February 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#34 ShaneTrot

• 4450 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I enjoyed Baseball Today except for Simon, he is horrible. I am not liking Baseball Tonight so far. Olney loves to talk about himself. Law was really good on Baseball Today, he has strong opinions and backs them up with facts.

#35 Phil Plantier

• 1931 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Three more soccer podcasts:

1. Soccer By Ives just started their podcast at the beginning of the year, and it's pretty enjoyable.

2. Jimmy Conrad is attempting to resurrect his American Soccer Spectacular (acronym intended), which I've always enjoyed because he can't help but give an unvarnished player's perspective. 

3. Alexi Lalas does a 1-minute daily podcast called The Shot, which I thought would be annoying but it's actually listenable.

Other than that, and the soccer podcasts listed above, I just pick interesting guests on Dan Patrick and Simmons.

#36 touchstone033

• 180 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I enjoyed Baseball Today except for Simon, he is horrible. I am not liking Baseball Tonight so far. Olney loves to talk about himself. Law was really good on Baseball Today, he has strong opinions and backs them up with facts.

I hear you on Simon -- but I admit he grew on me as the podcast went on. He was so goofy and self-effacing and enthusiastic about the game, he was hard to dislike. Also, his comments on defense were pretty dang insightful. That's an aspect of the game that's cruelly underrepresented in commentary, largely because it's too elusive to measure accurately.

I'm glad folks are tuning into Effectively Wild. Those fellas deserve the love they're getting....

#37 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25928 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

And hasn't gotten better.

#38 Fishercat

• Svelte and sexy!

• 4352 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've just completely stopped listening to Baseball Tonight. I can't honestly say I hate it, but I'd rather listen to other sports podcasts at this point.

Keith Law has a new weekly podcast coming out today (Behind The Dish). Features Joe Sheehan and Jeff Luhnow this week. I'm hoping it's available for download when I get home.

#39 ForKeeps

• 345 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

the new Klaw podcast is up. I only listened to Baseball Today for him anyway so this works fine for me.

#40 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3884 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'm surprised to hear so many don't like the Baseball Tonight podcast, although I'm only about five episodes in. I think Olney does a pretty good job, and the level of discussion has been good. The interview with Ryan Hanigan of the Reds was very good on his preparation for pitchers, as just one example. 

I never heard Baseball Today, though, so maybe it's just bad in comparison. I'm no connoisseur of podcasts, having just increased by commute considerably in the last couple weeks and thus needing more distractions.

#41 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16374 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

It's not really that Baseball Tonight is bad, it's that Baseball Today was really, really good. Karabell and Klaw/Simon had great chemistry, and it was heavily stat-oriented but in an accessible way. Klaw is also the perfect podcasting/radio guy...trenchant and willing to go off on a rant but also really knowledgable.

There's no doubt Olney's podcasts are better than the horrible Seth Everett Baseball Todays or the troglodytic Peter Pascarelli Baseball Todays (the man who wishes it was 1991 every day of the year).

Edited by Spacemans Bong, 12 March 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#42 nattysez

• 1371 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

It's not really that Baseball Tonight is bad, it's that Baseball Today was really, really good. Karabell and Klaw/Simon had great chemistry, and it was heavily stat-oriented but in an accessible way. Klaw is also the perfect podcasting/radio guy...trenchant and willing to go off on a rant but also really knowledgable.

There's no doubt Olney's podcasts are better than the horrible Seth Everett Baseball Todays or the troglodytic Peter Pascarelli Baseball Todays (the man who wishes it was 1991 every day of the year).

I didn't care for Karabell much, so I'm curious to hear what Law sounds like on his own.  The fact that Olney starts every Baseball Tonight podcast with the notable baseball birthdays of the day says a lot about what he's going for - a middle-of-the-road, "here's the news of the day," light-on-serious-analysis approach.  I don't hate it, but I suspect I'll spent more time listening to Law's now that it's up and running.  

Edited by nattysez, 12 March 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#43 mattymatty2000

• 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I listened to Law's podcast and enjoyed it. If you like Law you'll like this because it's pretty much just Law talking, asking questions, and giving analysis. He had on Jeff Luhnow and Joe Sheehan, and despite having a GM on, avoided platitudes and empty phrases.

#44 Stevie1der

• 416 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Sounds like the Football Today podcast is next in line for a makeover.  They've decided not to bring back Ross Tucker and Matt Williamson appears to be going away to other venues at the WWL after this next stretch of episodes leading to the draft.  They weren't without their faults, but I enjoyed chemistry of those two with Soderbergh.  My fear going forward: the new version of the podcast is connected to any part of the Sunday countdown crew.

#45 mattymatty2000

• 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

The latest podcast by Rany and Joe is up and they... well, they don't kill the Red Sox, but they're skeptical. Rany is highly skeptical, picking the Sox to win in the mid 70s this season. They level a few criticisms that I'm not sure are fair against Cherington and the Sox FO but it's at least worth listening to for an outsider's perspective. (That's outsider as in not a Red Sox fan. I'm sure they both have some insider contacts.)

#46 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25928 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

What is this new KLaw podcast, pray tell?

#47 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25928 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

What is this new KLaw podcast, pray tell?

Behind the Dish, is that it?

He's going to talk about food, isn't he?

#48 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2819 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I would imagine that the main focus will be baseball, but we'll get a food or book (or even board game) related guest from time to time.

#49 Dalton Jones

• 1336 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Gus Johnson is on the next MIB to discuss his future in soccer announcing... looking forward to it. 

Not looking forward to the Gus Johnson experience. Listened to the podcast and parts of his debut play by play..... Give me Sir Ian Dark.

#50 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3884 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Behind the Dish, is that it?

He's going to talk about food, isn't he?

There should be a new one today. I listened to the first and he said it would come out every Tuesday. The first one was pretty cool, but nothing special: GM of the Astros (where Law almost got a job) and Joe Sheehan talking about Mariano Rivera's legacy. Maybe the most interesting tidbit is their general agreement that they'd take Andy Pettitte's career over Mo's.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users