Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sabathia visiting Dr. James Andrews...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,062 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...r-james-andrews

New York Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia will visit with Dr. James Andrews soon to have his left elbow examined.

"We are going to have his elbow checked out," general manager Brian Cashman confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.
A source told ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand that Sabathia has had a bone spur since he was in Cleveland pitching for the Indians.
The expectation is that he just needs a minor procedure. Sabathia had his elbow checked in August after he experienced stiffness and was placed on the disabled list. All of his ligaments were fine then, so the expectation is this is not a serious issue.
However, Sabathia told reporters outside Yankee Stadium on Saturday that he's "a little bit" concerned.

"Yeah, you have to be concerned, because like I've said, I've never had any problems with the elbow before," Sabathia said, according to the New York Daily News. "We have to wait and see. ... It's something that I've not felt before, never had, so it's best to go get it checked out and go from there."
Sabathia, 32, went 15-6 with a 3.38 ERA for the Yankees this season. In three postseason starts, he was 2-1 with a 3.38 ERA.
Sabathia was tagged for six runs on 11 hits in just 3 2/3 innings in New York's elimination loss to the Detroit Tigers in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series. During that game, his velocity was down and he struggled with location.
Sabathia signed a seven-year, $161 million contract with the Yankees prior to the 2009 season.

#2 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

So when does he have Tommy John surgery?

#3 santadevil

• 895 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

So when does he have Tommy John surgery?

He's holding out for the annual SOSH Tommy John predication contest.
So hopefully opening day.

#4 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,767 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm not sure of this, but do players generally go to Dr. James Andrews as a "precaution"? I'm not sure I remember the last time I heard about a player going to see him and coming back with good news. I'd figure if there was nothing to see, one of the Yankees team doctors would have been able to determine it from an MRI. Then again, I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV.

#5 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,197 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'm not sure of this, but do players generally go to Dr. James Andrews as a "precaution"? I'm not sure I remember the last time I heard about a player going to see him and coming back with good news.

Josh Beckett comes to mind

#6 zapo

• 151 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'm not sure of this, but do players generally go to Dr. James Andrews as a "precaution"? I'm not sure I remember the last time I heard about a player going to see him and coming back with good news. I'd figure if there was nothing to see, one of the Yankees team doctors would have been able to determine it from an MRI. Then again, I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV.

Atchison came back midseason, was told just to rest it

Edited by zapo, 20 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#7 Max Power

• thai good. you like shirt?

• 2,192 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Josh Beckett comes to mind

Is that supposed to make Yankees fans feel better or worse?

#8 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,817 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

James Andrews does lipo?!

#9 carver

• 1,689 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

Paging Mr. John, Mr. Tommy John.

Sir, I've never seen an elbow ligament that has cellulite...

#10 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10,551 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

If reports are to be believed, this is about bone spurs that he's had for years.

I mean, it's possible that this has all been a ruse, but I'll be shocked (pleasantly, mind you) if this anything other than routine maintenance for a condition that Sabathia has been known to have for a long time.

#11 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,386 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

As expected, not a big deal:

"New York Yankees LHP CC Sabathia was seen by Dr. James Andrews today in Birmingham, Ala. Dr. Andrews performed arthroscopic surgery on Sabathia’s left elbow to remove a small bone spur. Sabathia is expected to fully recover prior to the start of the of the 2013 regular season."

#12 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

As expected, not a big deal:

"New York Yankees LHP CC Sabathia was seen by Dr. James Andrews today in Birmingham, Ala. Dr. Andrews performed arthroscopic surgery on Sabathia’s left elbow to remove a small bone spur. Sabathia is expected to fully recover prior to the start of the of the 2013 regular season."

Good news. When he woke up in August and couldn't put his arm above his head, and his wife wanted him to talk to the team doctor, that caught my attention. It's a tribute to CC's durability that he could bounce back from that and pitch well down the stretch and in the Baltimore series, where he saved the Yankees' from an embarrassing defeat.

#13 abty

• PipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

He is super human. If he ever is on the dl for a long time... For now, though, that is thankfully not a concern. You guys are lucky to have him because he refuses to give in and lives for the pressure in the bright lights. No many aces can pull that off regardless of their stuff.

#14 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,575 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

He'll be fine