Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Dave Magadan hired by the Rangers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,417 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

http://www.weei.com/...n-hired-rangers

He is the new Rangers hitting coach.

Edited by jsinger121, 19 October 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#2 ThatsMyPeskyPole

• 452 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

other teams move faster

#3 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,689 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Man, that's going to make him look like a genius. A good offensive team in a ridiculously good hitter's park. Sure beats trying to coach hitters in San Diego, that's for sure.

#4 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,406 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I wonder if Texas's plate discipline will vanish overnight too.

#5 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,365 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hopefully the Red Sox have something different in mind and weren't looking to retain him anyway. I'd hate to think they lost him because they are playing footsie with the Blue Jays.

#6 ThatsMyPeskyPole

• 452 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

MAdagan did complain some hitters were not getting it. Need the right players to make that work, hope we can find some.

#7 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,494 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hopefully the Red Sox have something different in mind and weren't looking to retain him anyway. I'd hate to think they lost him because they are playing footsie with the Blue Jays.

I think we should assume that everyone will be gone and that the new manager will be allowed to bring in his guys.

#8 Bosoxen

• Bounced back

• 5,993 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

What plate discipline? Don't you have to have it in order to lose it? As a team, the Rangers saw a very average 3.81 pitches per plate appearance (good for 16th in all of baseball).

#9 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,365 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

I think we should assume that everyone will be gone and that the new manager will be allowed to bring in his guys.

Probably true, but if it's Farrell, he may have wanted to retain some of Tito's staff. All in all, I don't really care. I would just like to see them get the people they want now rather than wait around and let other teams pick first.

#10 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,406 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

What plate discipline? Don't you have to have it in order to lose it? As a team, the Rangers saw a very average 3.81 pitches per plate appearance (good for 16th in all of baseball).

Yeah, I looked it up after I said something, and the Rangers haven't had a decent walk rate from 2009 on.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Interesting considering we had an option and "loved him". Hopefully this is the beginning of cleaning up the whole staff, fuck the coaches who went behind Bobby's back.

#12 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,139 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Interesting considering we had an option and "loved him". Hopefully this is the beginning of cleaning up the whole staff, fuck the coaches who went behind Bobby's back.

I never saw Magadan's linked with going behind Valentine's back. Do you have a link to that?

#13 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I never saw Magadan's linked with going behind Valentine's back. Do you have a link to that?

I wasn't specifically pointing to him, because it was Bogar and McClure in the papers, but at this point I would be surprised if it was everyone.

#14 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 8,018 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

You did notice that bit in the article about the Sox leading the league in pitches per at bat during his time here, didn't you?

Edit--longer piece here.

Edited by P'tucket, rhymes with..., 19 October 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#15 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,631 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

You did notice that bit in the article about the Sox leading the league in pitches per at bat during his time here, didn't you?

Blaming Dave Magadan for this team's plate discipline decline over the past 2-3 years is just too silly to merit an answer. Given the Sox' personnel decisions, there was no question their walk rate and OBP were going to go down. You can argue about whether Magadan did enough to stem that tide, but blaming him for the direction the tide was moving in is absurd.

#16 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,402 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Rob Bradford

The Red Sox, who held an option on Magadan, had given him a Friday deadline to make a decision regarding what offer he would be accepting. Besides the Sox, other organizations talking to the 50 year-old about filling their respective hitting coach positions were Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Seattle.

Also, the Rangers opened their wallets further.

"Texas made a really aggressive play for me. [The Red Sox] made an organizational decision not to go to that level regarding how much to compensate their hitting coach. That's fine. I don't have any qualms about that. They were professional enough to give me the opportunity to talk to other teams. A lot of other teams wouldn't have done that and I appreciate that completely. They could have very easily picked up my option, but they had my mine and my family's best interests at heart and allowed me to open up a new chapter in my coaching career."

Despite the superior offer from the Rangers, and what was perceived as a good fit (Texas led the majors in runs scored in 2012), the decision was still difficult for Magadan. His wife is from the Boston area, and there were still a significant amount of players on the Red Sox whom he had developed memorable working relationships with over six years as hitting coach.

Edited by mabrowndog, 20 October 2012 - 09:23 AM.