Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 - 2013 Michigan Wolverines Basketball

210 replies to this topic

#1 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5,349 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Ranked #5 in the pre-season Coaches poll.

Edited by WayBackVazquez, 17 October 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#2 repole

• 174 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I am beyond excited for this team. The way Beilein has turned this program into a legitimate national contender is remarkable.

This doesn't look like a flash in the pan either, Michigan's pretty consistently appeared to be in the discussion for 5 star prospects of late, something that seemed impossible just a few seasons ago.

#3 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

A lot of interesting storylines at play this season. How will Beilein adjust his offense include the number of quality big men he finally has, having played mostly a 4 guard set the past few years. How wiil the team deal with the leadership loss of Douglas and Novak, who will step up to fill their void? Hardaway never struck me as a the sort of team leader.

#4 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Burke will be relied on heavily for leadership.

Having seen him play, I also think by year's end people will be very impressed by GRIII's game and approach. Low key, but charismatic. Has the upside of a leaner Glen Rice, IMO.

#5 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,417 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Out of curiosity, what did Michigan add/lose from last year's team?

I didn't watch them a ton last year, but this seems like a surprisingly high ranking to me. Not saying it's unwarranted, just surprising. Then again, I'm probably just bitter that the Ohio University team that beat Michigan in the tournament, went to the Sweet 16 and returns their entire team didn't manage a single vote.

#6 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Out:
PF Evan Smotrycz
SG Carlton Brundidge
BW Colton Christian

All three transferred and of the three, only Smotrycz played significant minutes.

In:
SG Caris Levart
SF Glen Robinson III
PF/C Mitch McGary
SG Nick Stauskas
PG Spike Albrecht

McGary and Robinson are the two that should be expected to make significant contributions. Stauskas is a lights out shooter, so I could see him being in there a lot too. Levart and Albrecht are late additions to the class (following the transfers), so I know less about them. I don't know if we're a top 5 team, but we added a ton of talent that I hope stays at MIchigan and is good for a couple deep tournament runs.

#7 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Out of curiosity, what did Michigan add/lose from last year's team?

Out:
PF Evan Smotrycz
SG Carlton Brundidge
BW Colton Christian

All three transferred and of the three, only Smotrycz played significant minutes.

And seniors Novak and Douglas, who were rather large contributors in the lockerroom and on the court. Novak especially.

#8 repole

• 174 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Novak will be tough to replace. McGary seems to be the guy who's expected to come in as a high motor guy and provide some leadership as well, along with Burke+THJ picking up some of the leadership load. Obviously very different play styles/body types between Novak and McGary, but Novak played a lot of 4 last year and you can expect McGary to get most of those minutes. Despite their differences in style, I think McGary will provide similar quality high efficiency production.

Douglas was solid, but frankly his production screams replaceable His value, outside of spacing the floor a bit, was mainly as a guy who could bring the ball up when Trey was out of the game, and even that he struggled with at times. I think Stauskas should be able to step in and replace anything we got from him, despite the experience gap.

There are a lot of people who will rate Smotrycz impact on the team last year as incredibly important, but he put up HUGE numbers in games against cupcakes and then proceeded to shit the metaphorical bed during the BigTen season. Fans started to groan when he'd touch the ball, and frankly I think his confidence was really shook. It'd be nice if he was still around, but I don't think he was really capable of handling the spotlight at Michigan. Ultimately he didn't really contribute when it mattered last season.

I think another year of development for Burke will be huge. An awesome freshmen class makes Michigan one of the more talented rosters in the nation, so their ranking really shouldn't be that surprising. I'd probably have them more around 7 or 8, but to each their own. The talent on the roster seems to fit together really well too, with a smooth all around PG in Burke who can create for others, a solid SG with a bit of Rip Hamilton in him with Tim Hardaway JR, a slashing, athletic SF in Glenn Robinson III, a high energy athletic big in McGary, and then a number of other bigs and wings who are capable of seeing the floor with those 4 depending on whether the team wants to go big or small. Beilein hates having more than 1 guy who can't space the floor on the court, so it sort of goes against his schemes to have both Jordan Morgan and McGary on the court together, but I think Beilein will adjust to take advantage of finally having some legitimate big men to work with.

#9 mgoblue2

• 579 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

The key going forward is keeping them together for more than one season. If Robinson is as good as expected, he could be playing in the NBA next year. Burke will likely be gone after this season as well, if Hardaway resurges to his freshmen form, he could be gone too.

#10 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

From what I've seen from the preseason/Slippery Rock, I am most impressed with the improvement in Hardaway's game. It looks like he worked very hard to improve his ball handling, and I think that's going to pay huge dividends in terms of the versatility it gives on the offensive end and the looks we can throw at defenses. If Hardaway is bringing the ball up, it can allow Burke to play more of an off-guard at times. They seem to have taken their chemistry up a notch too as they just looked awesome together. I think that's just one of the many things you have to keep an eye out for this season.

As far as the freshman, I'd say Stauskas has been the most impressive. I'd heard he was a terrific shooter, and I've seen videos that back up this "theory." He's a pleasure to watch shoot. I am also enjoying the Hardaway to GR3 oop that seems to be a staple of every game. Our guys might not be as hyped as Nerlens or Shabazz, but they can play.

We host IUPUI tonight, so hopefully we get some good time watching the freshmen. It's on ESPN U.

#11 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

They are rolling out the entire roster so far, which I like because it at least helps to set the bar for players 5-10 on the team. I'm not a giant fan of all the chucking they do, but other than that (!), they look very good and getting better. If Burke stays healthy, he'll have a monster year.

Edited by Dick Pole Upside, 14 November 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#12 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

They just move the ball so well. I think that it's tough to call what they do chucking. They're not forcing shots. They're moving the ball to the open guy, and there are so many good shooters and they have so much confidence in each other. They spread the perimeter well too, so they create a lot of easy layups/dunks as well. Stauskas might be the best shooter in the country when it's all said and done. He might miss once, but he won't miss again.

Burke is still Burke, but Hardaway has improved immensely and seems to have become more assertive. It's not like last year, where he'd force being the man. This year, he is the man. The other highly improved player is Jordan Morgan, who has lost a lot of weight, and just looks infinitely more athletic. This team is talented and deep. We'll see how the defense and free throw shooting comes together, but they look very good.

SSS and lower quality opponents so far aside.

#13 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,675 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I drink the Koolaide. Even the normally sanguine Kenpom system puts them 5th.

#14 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

To Echo Sachmoney's comments, Hardaway has really impressed me this year. Last year he seems hesitate to take the ball to the basket, leaving Burke as their only option as a slasher. The freshman who's really blow me away is GRob3, he gives them a legitmate 3rd scoring option they havent had in a really long time. It wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the season he was challenging Hardaway for the 2nd best player on this team.

#15 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Impressive performance winning the NIT tip off , it's really amazing to see how much Hardaway's game had improved. Also I really like the inside presence they have now with Morgan and McGary. Next up NC St on Tuesday.

Edited by Dgilpin, 23 November 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#16 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

It's Mitch McGary, Dgilpin.

The thing that's obviously going to be of concern heading into the NC State game is the status of Hardaway. He was wobbly as all hell when he walked off the court after taking a knee to the back of the head. I wouldn't be surprising if he had a concussion, and I wouldn't expect him to be cleared to play so soon. We'll see though.

#17 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yeah I know, I meant Morgan and McGary. I thought concussion as well when Hardaway left the court

#18 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

The initial report is that Hardaway passed all concussion tests and will travel with the team back to Ann Arbor. So that's good news.

#19 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Watching vs. NC State right now. Haven't seen a ton of McGary or Stauskas to date.

Dan Dakich on McGary: "He's got a good basketball IQ. He knows who he is... he's a big, giant brute that plays like a big, giant brute." I love it... And he's right!

And Stauskas... Holy Moly can he stroke it.

#20 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5,788 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Really good win tonight, though it got dicey at the end. I am not a basketball fan, and Michigan is the only team I will really watch play, so it is nice to be able to be excited about the team again.

#21 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Another impressive win today , I've been blown away with their depth so far this season and Stauskas is one of the best shooters in the country . Their tendency to allow teams back into games is slightly concerning , but they did manage to finish strong today.

#22 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

With Indiana's loss, we should rise to #2 in the rankings. Another impressive win from the team in Brooklyn. Trey Burke and Hardaway really led the team through this one, but I didn't really feel like the game was in doubt. The quality just carried through. Sometimes, certain guys are going to have to step up when other guys can't. It was nice to see the veterans prove that they can tonight.

#23 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Horford out with a separated knee cap (ouch) tough break for him. Hope he's able to make it back , he was a solid contributor off the bench so far this season

#24 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Horford has seemed a little snakebit injury-wise during his career. I love a Morgan/McGary/Horford rotation on the blocks... He will be missed. This team is very deep, however, so he should be back in time to get ready for March. They still have decent length to utilize in his absence... I've been a little surprised and impressed with Tre Robinson's rebounding. Hardaway is a bit underrated here as well.

In short: bummer for Horford, but I think the Wolverines will hold up without him.

#25 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

They just move the ball so well. I think that it's tough to call what they do chucking. They're not forcing shots. They're moving the ball to the open guy, and there are so many good shooters and they have so much confidence in each other. They spread the perimeter well too, so they create a lot of easy layups/dunks as well. Stauskas might be the best shooter in the country when it's all said and done. He might miss once, but he won't miss again.

Burke is still Burke, but Hardaway has improved immensely and seems to have become more assertive. It's not like last year, where he'd force being the man. This year, he is the man. The other highly improved player is Jordan Morgan, who has lost a lot of weight, and just looks infinitely more athletic. This team is talented and deep. We'll see how the defense and free throw shooting comes together, but they look very good.

SSS and lower quality opponents so far aside.

After some more low quality opponents, some higher quality opponents, I'll say most if not all of what I've said has been reinforced. This is probably the best ball movement from a Michigan team since the Fab Five, right (I'm asking because I don't remember/know)? Mitch McGary is earning more minutes and getting adjusted to the college game. He notched his first double double tonight and was impressive overall. Bielfeldt looked alright, taking Horford's minutes. Three offensive rebounds. Yes, please. Burke and Junior had 8 and 7 assists respectively and I'm not even sure if they deserve the credit or if it's the shooters on this team. Air Canada had a 5/8 performance...all from 3 pointers!

They are so fun to watch.

#26 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

We fly high, no lie, you know this

It seemed like everything in last night's game went our way. It began before the game where it was known that Northwestern would be without their leading scorer. Additionally, we saw that Hardaway Jr. would be back in the line up. If you consider the former, you've got to believe that Northwestern will battle harder at Crisler at the end of the month. If you consider that Hardaway was rumored to be hurt more than it seemed (last night), then you just have to be just damn impressed.

At one point in the game, Hardaway lost his shoe, continued to dribble, then drained a three like it ain't no thang.

Hardaway and Burke were insanely on and the whole team just clicked. They were the catalysts, but Morgan played well too, finishing with a double double. Tre, who has been somewhat quiet relative to his other peers, had a solid game. If anybody struggled, you'd have to say it was Nik Stauskas with his 2/7 performance from downtown. The important thing is that it didn't even matter. Michigan cruised to its largest Big Ten road victory since 1964.

Next up for the Wolverines are the Hawkeyes on Sunday at noon. That'll be followed up by Nebraska next Wednesday before a big game against Ohio State on the 13th (yes, if you're a Patriots/Michigan fan, you can tune into CBS all day).

#27 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

They put the pedal down and curb-stomped Iowa today. Burke is manufacturing quite a season. *understatement*

#28 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

This could very well be the best team in the country. Burke's 18.2 points, 7.5 assists numbers are the best for a Big Ten player since...Magic in 78-79. He has to be leading the PotY race right now.

#29 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

This could very well be the best team in the country. Burke's 18.2 points, 7.5 assists numbers are the best for a Big Ten player since...Magic in 78-79. He has to be leading the PotY race right now.

There's no could be , they are the best. Without a doubt the best offense in the country , so many different ways for them to beat you. Four different guys who can carry the scoring load on any given night. Bring on the Hoosiers and the Buckeyes

#30 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5,788 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Apparently they can win ugly, too. 16-0, but Nebraska played them pretty well tonight. I think I mentioned earlier that I don't watch much basketball other than Michigan, but it felt to me like there were a few times when they had a chance to take control of the game, but started moving maybe a little too fast, especially on breaks. I thought this caused them to get a little out of control at times, and allowed Nebraska to stay in it. Did anyone else feel this way, or am I crazy?

In any case, maybe they were looking ahead to this weekend, maybe not, but to struggle as bad as they did tonight and come out with a win is pretty awesome.

#31 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

A win over #15 Ohio State in Columbus should propel the Wolverines to #1 for the first time since the Fab Five (they never existed, right?). Ohio State is a 1.5 point favorite. The game will air at 1:30 on CBS, so you all will be able to watch it, and there's no overlap with the Patriots game. Go Blue!

#32 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 8,950 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Think we're going to learn that Ohio St isn't that special. Michigan played AWFUL today and should have won.

Hardaway is so frustrating. Just not a smart player.

#33 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Eh, Hardway and Burke were terrible. Ohio State played a really smart game, took advantage of the turnovers, and made plays in transition. Their defense was sensational. Michigan took too many forced threes. After that horrid start, it was nice to see the team fight back. There was opportunities to win this game, but I think you have to take the positives. So what if you're not taking the #1 seed now, as long as you have it at the end of the season, that's all that matters.

I fear that Michigan has shown the formula to beat them. They're going to have to find ways to overcome that (McGary or Morgan inside?).

#34 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

First, words can not describe by hate for Aaron Kraft. I hope he gets run over by a bus on the way to practice today.

After getting over the fact it sucks to lose to Ohio St., I'm not that upset with the loss. I was pleased to see them fight back and tie the game late in the second half. This team has not faced many deficits this season, so it was nice to see them respond well, instead of pack it in and lose by 15. Also considering the Big Ten this year is an absolute meat grinder, I think its going to be very difficult for anyone to win at Michigan, Ohio St., Indiana or Minnesota. All four of those are top 10 ten quality teams, and they all are extremely tough at home. That doesn't even take into account teams like Michigan St. and Wisconsin who historically are very good at home as well. For me the biggest thing yesterday was the turnovers, for a team that has really taken care of the ball well it was very uncharacteristic to turn the ball over 13 times. Looking forward Thursday at Minnesota should be an equally tough match up, a win there would go a long way to helping me forget about about Sundays loss.

Edited by Dgilpin, 14 January 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#35 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Wow... What a huge win . That was great , just goes to show how good they can be when they don't turn the ball over.

#36 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Wow... What a huge win . That was great , just goes to show how good they can be when they don't turn the ball over.

But they fouled! (I really have nothing to add to this, but sharing the following gif)
Posted Image

#37 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

#38 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

New rankings come out Monday, and we have a game before then, so I'm going to have to give you:

lee-corso1.jpg

But also, this:

8412317025_b8e3cc2daa_o.gif

Glenn RobinsOWN3D!

#39 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

New rankings come out Monday, and we have a game before then, so I'm going to have to give you:

Yes I know, I just feel like this is definitely the best team in the country right now. Illinois should be tough, especially at their place. I know they have some crappy losses this year, but they seem to play to their level of competition. A win there and then a win home against Northwestern would be great, since their next 4 games will be absolutely brutal:  @Indiana, Ohio St. @Wisconsin, and @ Michigan St. That has to be one of the toughest 4 games stretches anyone will play this season.

Edited by Dgilpin, 25 January 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#40 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yes I know, I just feel like this is definitely the best team in the country right now. Illinois should be tough, especially at their place. I know they have some crappy losses this year, but they seem to play to their level of competition. A win there and then a win home against Northwestern would be great, since their next 4 games will be absolutely brutal:  @Indiana, Ohio St. @Wisconsin, and @ Michigan St. That has to be one of the toughest 4 games stretches anyone will play this season.

I no doubt feel the same way. This is the best team in the country, but we're still fighting against a national perception that Michigan hasn't been good and is still unproven. Part of that is trying to build the program back to what it was a couple decades ago, part of that is that a lot of our players are freshmen and hence unknown. It's hard to give credit to players you don't know, and I'm strictly talking about that from a national media perspective. There aren't any easy games in the Big Ten especially on the road. Assembly Hall should be rocking on Sunday, but I think that the boys will respond. It'll probably be another one of these close at halftime, up by 15 points at the end type of games.

That four game stretch is absolute brutal. If they can come out with a 3-1 record from that, I'd be ecstatic. 4-0 and I'll be peachy.

On the game last night, it was nice to see the balanced attack and Stauskas to start hitting shots again. Hopefully, he can continue that away from Crisler.

#41 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Agreed, I feel Stauskas is the difference in the offense from being really good to National Championship good.  Right now they are already the most efficient offense in the country according to KenPom, averaging 1.23 points per possession. But when he's hitting his three's the offense is almost impossible to defend, I also appreciate his willingness/ability to take the ball to the basket and no just sit on the outside. McGary evolution this year has also been impressive, I really like what I see out of him and I love his intensity. By tournament time and going into next year I can see him being a huge part of the offense.

Looking forward I'm really beginning to get the sinking feeling that Burke, Hardaway and Robinson will be gone next season. The good news is Michigan right now has the 12th ranked recruiting class, with all 3 recruits being ranked in the ESPN 100. Two, Zak Irvin(SF) and Derrick Walton(PG) could be potential Burke and Robinson fill in's.

#42 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

So that should make it official , northwestern at home Wednesday and then at Assembly Hall Saturday for Indiana. Lets good this number 1 ranking lasts longer than 1 week

#43 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

So that should make it official , northwestern at home Wednesday and then at Assembly Hall Saturday for Indiana. Lets good this number 1 ranking lasts longer than 1 week

Well, we're going to have to wait at least a week (highly dependent on whether we defeat Indiana on Saturday or not) to get #1 in the coaches poll as Kansas takes the #1 spot...by 3 votes. As I've said all along, it doesn't matter being #1 during the season if you can't win all the things you set out to win before the season (Big Ten regular season, Big Ten tournament, National Championship). It's about what you do, not necessarily how you're regarded (if you do those things, you're going to be highly regarded). Northwestern should be a good game. Indiana should be a great game.

#44 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Well, we're number 1 in the AP Poll:

For the first time since the Fab Five wore maize and blue uniforms, Michigan is the No. 1 team in the country.

After occupying spots two through five this season, the Wolverines finally moved to No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25 released this afternoon after a school-record 19-1 start. The Wolverines earned 51 first place votes ahead of Kansas with 13 and Florida with one.

So there's that.

#45 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,633 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

A co-worker of mine is a Michigan alum, but got his masters from Kansas.  Quite the day for him.

#46 Wings

• 262 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Indiana and Michigan Saturday night in Bloomington should be a heck of a game.  Both teams looked great tonight and didn't overlook opponents, especially IU considering that Purdue plays them hard.  Should be an incredible atmosphere in Bloomington Saturday.

Edited by Wings, 30 January 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#47 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4,236 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

great IU win tonight.  Btown will be rocking on Saturday.  Exciting.

#48 Dgilpin

• 3,641 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

From ESPN stats, Michigan was only the 4th D1 team to have 2 turnovers in a game this season and the only one to beat another D1 team in the process. As stated earlier, it was nice not to see Michigan look ahead at all. I can't wait for Saturday night.

Edited by Dgilpin, 31 January 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#49 Wings

• 262 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

From the site: kenpom.com  Who uses advanced metrics and what not for games.  IU by 6 points, 68% chance of winning.  But of course you have to play the game.

Sat Feb 2

3 Michigan W, 76-70 66 68% Home

#50 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,394 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Great to see the solid foundation Tommy Amaker built is paying off.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users