Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

10/18: ALCS Game 4, Don't Let Us Win Tonight!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#101 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 11,062 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Since this thread title evokes 2004, I thought some might find interesting comments on the Bats Blog of the NYT following the loss of the ALCS this year. The question posed, which was worse: 2004 or 2012?
Most people seem to have suffered much more in '04, but others said that this year was more disheartening in terms of the over-all lack of "heart" on the team.
http://bats.blogs.ny...g-yankees-fans/

#102 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Since this thread title evokes 2004, I thought some might find interesting comments on the Bats Blog of the NYT following the loss of the ALCS this year. The question posed, which was worse: 2004 or 2012?
Most people seem to have suffered much more in '04, but others said that this year was more disheartening in terms of the over-all lack of "heart" on the team.
http://bats.blogs.ny...g-yankees-fans/

The difference for me is the 2004 team's nucleus was still pretty young. 2012 core is not young. Very dangerous time for this franchise.
I don't buy the lack of heart angle. This team stopped hitting in the playoffs, as we suspected it might. Heart had nothing to do with it.
Maybe the Tigers had no heart when they stopped hitting in the WS? Just a stupid response from frustrated fans.

#103 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 11,062 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

The difference for me is the 2004 team's nucleus was still pretty young. 2012 core is not young. Very dangerous time for this franchise.
I don't buy the lack of heart angle. This team stopped hitting in the playoffs, as we suspected it might. Heart had nothing to do with it.
Maybe the Tigers had no heart when they stopped hitting in the WS? Just a stupid response from frustrated fans.

How do you determine the "core?" Swisher, Granderson, Cano, and Teixeira disappointed in the ALCS, while old guys Ibanez and Ichiro performed. Agree that "heart" was not the problem. Being one-dimensional was the problem, and only Ichiro and Jeter were rising above the HR at all costs approach in the post-season.

I was struck by all the hatred expressed towards the Red Sox and their fans. I always assumed that was a one-way street, coming from envy. I thought Yankees fans regarded us and our team as merely laughable.

#104 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

How do you determine the "core?" Swisher, Granderson, Cano, and Teixeira disappointed in the ALCS, while old guys Ibanez and Ichiro performed. Agree that "heart" was not the problem. Being one-dimensional was the problem, and only Ichiro and Jeter were rising above the HR at all costs approach in the post-season.

I was struck by all the hatred expressed towards the Red Sox and their fans. I always assumed that was a one-way street, coming from envy. I thought Yankees fans regarded us and our team as merely laughable.

The 2012 core will change slightly next season. Swisher should be gone. I wouldn't count out Cashman trading Granderson in one of his under-the-radar deals. Even if that isn't the move, Cashman will make one big trade this winter to try and stop the bleeding.

On your second point, speaking just for myself, I miss having the Red Sox in the division race. It's not good for fans here in the Northeast to have one or the other team out of contention. The way things are trending, we both could be on the outside looking in 2013. I do hold out hope, though, that Cashman and Cherington can fix their teams. The question is, can they do it in one offseason? I think Cashman can fix a 95-win team faster than Cherington can fix his mess but Ben has more financial flexibility.

It will be fun to watch the moves these two GMs make.