Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Bonfire of the Valentines: post-mortem game thread

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#51 fenwaypaul

• 3148 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Some fuel for the fire:

Posted Image

#52 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10926 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

Some fuel for the fire:

Posted Image

Oops. Maybe next time, use some kindling.

#53 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7093 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

25 Ways to Say Goodbye: An Ode to Bobby

By Sox fans so disliked
Pedroia crashed my bike
Agon now wears Dodger Blue
Albers was just so fat
DMac can't swing the bat
I got called out for blasting Youk

That's cool but if my friends ask me why I'm gone I'm gonna say:

Papi undermined me
Padilla was a psycho
At short I had friggin Punto
Help me help me, I can't take the blame
Sweeney had no pop left
Jacoby hurt his shoulder
Doubront wasn't more mature and older
Help me help me, lost 93 games
Now Ben took the reins

Melancon pitched like ass
Unloaded douche Shoppach
Bowden was just no damn good
Cody was just too nice
Atch threw too many strikes
Franklin didn't start like he should

Who is Justin Thomas?
Lester's 14 losses
Bard turned in to late 90's Tony Fossas
Salty's never on base
Alfredo hates my old face
Help me help me, now I'm out of the game
TV's just not the same

#54 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25618 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

#55 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13444 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

25 Ways to Say Goodbye: An Ode to Bobby

By Sox fans so disliked
Pedroia crashed my bike
Adrian Gonzalez now wears Dodger Blue
Albers was just so fat
DMac can't swing the bat
I got called out for blasting Youk

Papi undermined me
Padilla was a psycho
At short I had friggin Punto
Sweeney had no pop left
Jacoby hurt his shoulder
Doubront wasn't more mature and older
Help me help me, lost 93 games
Now Ben took the reins

Melancon pitched like ass
Unloaded douche Shoppach
Bowden was just no damn good
Cody was just too nice
Atch threw too many strikes
Franklin didn't start like he should

Who is Justin Thomas?
Lester's 14 losses
Bard turned in to late 90's Tony Fossas
Salty's never on base
Alfredo hates my old face
Help me help me, now I'm out of the game
TV's just not the same

THIS was awesome! Literally laughing as I read it. Some truth to it for sure but still funny. Nicely done.

#56 oldmil007

• 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

quote: Samuel Clemens, 1876, (Tom Sawyer)

"Let us draw the curtain of charity over the rest of the scene"

Pretty much sums it up.

Thanks for a bunch of good reads folks.

#57 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10505 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm guessing Lucchino didn't want to face the firing squad and be openly criticized for the Valentine hire on live television, so they brought in media members one by one rather than a hold a press conference. He's so fucking gutless.

#58 Hildy

• 1584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

There once was a blowhard named Bob
who lucked his way into a job.
As he heads for the egress,
Who cleans up the hot mess
That's left from this season macabre?

#59 cherno

• 4307 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Except that the same decision-makers who got us here are the ones expected to get us out

The only thing I believe is that ownership let Larry have too much decision making power, along with a fixed operating budget which hamstrung Ben last off season. The latter has been fixed, and hopefully ownership have learned their lesson with the former.

Let's see what Ben can do when he has flexibility. Yes, his off-season last year was not good, but I was very happy with the deadline trade this year to give us this flexibility.

I am, and will remain, hopeful that the organization has learned some lessons over the past year.

#60 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25618 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

The only thing I believe is that ownership let Larry have too much decision making power, along with a fixed operating budget which hamstrung Ben last off season. The latter has been fixed, and hopefully ownership have learned their lesson with the former.

You must have missed the LL interview today. He's back and bigger than ever

#61 cherno

• 4307 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

You must have missed the LL interview today. He's back and bigger than ever

I did. Busy day.

Anyone have a link?

I know people in business just like this. Projects that they have headed have completely tanked. Underlings have taken the fall, and the project leaders speak as if they has nothing to do with this. The company never gets stronger. It just lists along.

I hope we don't have this happening here.

Larry is great at the business side. Fixing up the park. Advertising revenue. But he's gotta keep his hands off baseball operations, or it'll be like Steinbrenner's teams of the 80's.

Please, God, don't let LL fuck up this team for yet another year.

#62 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

The 2012 season was like one drawn-out colonic cleansing. With Bobby V's removal, I feel like some of the last shreds of turd have left my body.

#63 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13444 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

A long hard lesson learned for ALL. From ownership down to every player on the team. A lot of cleansing is done however, don't be afraid to clean some more! There is still some crap in there.

#64 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20971 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

From Tito's interview today:

There's gonna be the post-mortems, and I know all about that. That's not fun in Boston, because they always want to know the reasons, and if they don't know, they'll make something up.

Yes there are and he does; no it isn't fun in Boston (more of an obsession, combined with work avoidance), because yes we gotsta know, and if we don't, we have enough professional mythmakers to make up some real malarkey.

#65 JBill

• 1932 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Man, that interview makes me miss Tito. His glass half-full spin even made me feel a little better.

#66 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6078 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

Man, that interview makes me miss Tito. His glass half-full spin even made me feel a little better.

Tito. He almost always set the right tone. He could lie to you and if you didn't always believe him 100%, you'd think the lie was for your own good. He could insult you and make you laugh all at once. That's quite a gift.

#67 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9296 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

There once was a blowhard named Bob
who lucked his way into a job.
As he heads for the egress,
Who cleans up the hot mess
That's left from this season macabre?

Posted Image

#68 oldmil007

• 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

#69 LeoCarrillo

• Do his bits at your peril.

• 5333 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

#70 S. H. Frog

• 453 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWO0h_TNeM

Your 1972 Red Sox: 85-70. Time marches on.

#71 Kull

• wannabe merloni

• 1147 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Your 1972 Red Sox: 85-70. Time marches on.

I lived and died with the 1972 Red Sox. No other team in baseball history missed winning it's division by 1/2 a game (think about that for a minute). Everything this team was, they weren't.

#72 LeoCarrillo

• 5333 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

An experiment. Start one. Wait. Start another. I have no idea if this will work.

I tried doing three Sympathy for the Devils but exceeded max.

Edit: This actually works. And it kinda rules. The top one needs to be 13 seconds ahead of the bottom one. Start one, wait, start the other and then sync 'em with some pauses. Again, 13 seconds apart. Get it close, and the drum-and-bass line will fall in together, and then it's just a mash-up with itself. It's kinda awesome, actually. In headphones. Loud.

Enjoy.

Edited by LeoCarrillo, 16 December 2012 - 01:46 AM.

#73 Curll

• 4419 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

We got our man!

Posted Image

#74 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10148 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

RT @nbcsn: BREAKING NEWS: Tuesday's Episode of "Costas Tonight" will feature interview w/ former @RedSox manager Bobby Valentine (10PM et)
didnt he sign one of those contracts to shut up?

#75 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10926 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

With Valentine's input, the Red Sox brain-trust gave us - among other things in the past 13 months - the great Marco Scuatro salary dump. Scutaro was named NLCS MVP Monday, leading the Giants back to the World Series.

The above appeared in an article today in the Globe by "Obnoxious Sox Fan," with no proof offered. I never heard that BV had anything to do with that move? Has anyone else?

#76 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9296 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

According to HardballTalk on NBCSports.com, Valentine says in the Costas interview that David Ortiz quit on the team and wasn't really that injured. Also vents about coaches stabbing him in the back, although they don't say if he names names.

http://hardballtalk....on-the-red-sox/

Good god just shut up already you asshat. The whole team quit on you. Keep reminding us why.

#77 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10926 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'm agog at how bad the Costas interview was. He followed up on nothing. Valentine was allowed to make assertions with no requests for clarification. This was no bonfire, but there was plenty of smoke, and it was all in Costas' eyes.

#78 cherno

• 4307 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

I just watched the Costas/Valentine video here:

http://nbcsports.msn...525916#49525916

My initial reaction was confusion over the Aviles blow-up in Spring Training.

I thought BV blew-up at Aviles because he didn't rotate to cover third on a fly ball to the outfield. Now, BV says it's because on a pop-up, MA didn't yell loud enough to call off the LF (which BV once did on the Dodgers & broke Bill Bucker's jaw).

We also got revised stories on how his coaches underminded him, as well as a "never happened" on the WMB wise crack (confirmed by wombat via twitter), when, in fact, on EEI earlier this year, BV said it DID happen.

Can we really trust anything this guy says?

In fact, why the hell are we STILL talking about him? The sooner we move on, the better it will be for everyone.

#79 pedros hairstylist

• Allison?

• PipPipPip
  • 5577 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

A bonfire of Bobby V. effigies would make an outstanding front lawn display.

#80 AimingForYoko

• SoSH Member

• 14335 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I just watched the Costas/Valentine video here:

http://nbcsports.msn...525916#49525916

My initial reaction was confusion over the Aviles blow-up in Spring Training.

I thought BV blew-up at Aviles because he didn't rotate to cover third on a fly ball to the outfield. Now, BV says it's because on a pop-up, MA didn't yell loud enough to call off the LF (which BV once did on the Dodgers & broke Bill Bucker's jaw).

We also got revised stories on how his coaches underminded him, as well as a "never happened" on the WMB wise crack (confirmed by wombat via twitter), when, in fact, on EEI earlier this year, BV said it DID happen.

Can we really trust anything this guy says?

In fact, why the hell are we STILL talking about him? The sooner we move on, the better it will be for everyone.

Right? I couldn't even watch that garbage; Costas and Valentine--two smug douchebags. I'd like to pretend that this never happened, but all the reporters are hoping that BV will lose his mind and spill.

#81 S. H. Frog

• 453 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

The above appeared in an article today in the Globe by "Obnoxious Sox Fan," with no proof offered. I never heard that BV had anything to do with that move? Has anyone else?

I have no evidence at all, but the moment Scutaro was traded from the Sox, I thought it was because he would not play for Valentine. When Scutaro played for Valentine in New York, BV put him in the outfield to prove a point to the GM. http://www.boston.co...tories/?camp=pm. Scutaro does not indicate he has any grudges, but I just can't help imagining things, like Scutaro flat-out refusing to be a part of a BV-managed team.

#82 Sprowl

• 20971 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Bogar rebuts Valentine

"The coaching staff was prepared to do everything that we were supposed to do to help Bobby succeed," Bogar said, "but not once did he portray what he wanted us to do to help him and eventually he shut some of us out completely."
Bogar said Wednesday that he kept working hard and remained professional throughout the season. "I did my best, along with all the other coaches, to keep everyone on track," Bogar said. "Some things are public, some will stay private, but no one will truly understand what had to be handled behind those clubhouse doors. Being professional in these matters is the only way to go about it."

Bogar said Wednesday he felt he had a great rapport with the Red Sox players. "You don't know how many times these guys would come and talk to me about stuff," Bogar said. "The last couple of times I've read stuff about that there was no communication or the communication was bad -- the only bad communication was between Bobby and everyone. The rest of the communication was great. I talked to the players daily about stuff. We talked about everything. The coaches talked about everything." According to numerous team sources, Valentine resented the fact that the players often spoke with the coaching staff and not directly with him.

#83 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10926 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

It's a fundraiser, so I guess it's a Good Thing, but Most Unfavorite MLB Manager joins Second Most Unfavorite on the rope:
http://bats.blogs.ny...g/?ref=baseball

“It was about getting Stamford’s brightest star out on that building,” Cashman said. “Bobby V is up for any challenge. I knew that all I had to do was put it out there and he’d show up. I know this year’s show will be a better event because Bobby V will be a part of it.”

Valentine said: “It’s my hometown, and Brian did such a good job of getting kids excited about the holidays that I thought I’d join in. I didn’t beat the Yankees much in 2012, so maybe I’ll beat him this time.”

Technically, the event is not a competition.

#84 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5489 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Maybe the ropes will break.

#85 LeoCarrillo

• 5333 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

There are two unequal parts to every offseason: 1. Pete Tambourine; 2. Pete Non-Tambourine

Gomes is tambourine. Winter Meetings at hand.

Edited by LeoCarrillo, 02 December 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#86 Sprowl

• 20971 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I still haven't gotten over watching the best first baseman I have ever seen play fly off to LA, but the internet tells me to...

Posted Image

#87 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10505 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Pedro is about to make the Devil Rays his bitch on NESN.

#88 LeoCarrillo

• 5333 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I love the offseason game thread for nostalgic reason. When I was a lurker, I could post dumb incongrous, hard rocking shit in here. And that seemed okay.

And it still seems okay.

#89 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10148 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Dont know if this should get its own thread..

The NBC Sports Group and Dial Global will formally announce Monday that Valentine has joined the NBC Sports Radio lineup as a Major League Baseball contributor. He will call in weekly to NBC Sports affiliated stations over the next two months before co-hosting a daily sports-talk show on NBC Sports Radio starting in April. (His co-host has been picked but NBC says they will not announce the name until March.) "I think in my years here on earth, I have let people know I have an opinion about pretty much everything," Valentine told SI.com. "I think I will remain true to that."

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2HGcuLN4n

#90 Boston Brawler

• 4711 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

So, I just bumped into Terry Francona in the Cleveland airport.

Edit: His book was for sale right where I bumped into him. He autographed it. Very nice guy.

Edited by Boston Brawler, 21 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users