Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Patriots vs. Broncos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1864 replies to this topic

#1 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Brady vs. Manning

I expect Wilfork and Love to abuse Dan Koppen on Sunday.

#2 lostjumper

• 913 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Historically Koppen struggled mightily against the large nose-tackle type players so he should do fine against Wil...oh.

As always, the matchup I'm worried about is Peyton vs our defensive backs. Hopefully the Pats can generate some pass rush to not allow much time for Peyton to throw.

#3 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Historically Koppen struggled mightily against the large nose-tackle type players so he should do fine against Wil...oh.

As always, the matchup I'm worried about is Peyton vs our defensive backs. Hopefully the Pats can generate some pass rush to not allow much time for Peyton to throw.

We all know that Peyton, like Brady, is vulnerable when you force him to roll out. Hopefully Wilfork wins a lot of one-on-one (or one-on-two) battles.

#4 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13934 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Forecast is for cold (40s) and rainy (70%).

Looks good for the ground game.

#5 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Establish the running game early to get Dumervil and Miller off of Brady, then kill them on the Play Action.

Get pressure on Manning and hope McCourty can repeat his performance from last week.

5 most important players (excluding Brady)

1. Ridley
2. McCourty
3. Jones
4. Vollmer
5. Gronk (especially for blocking)

#6 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21365 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hightower present at practice; Mankins back as well.

Not spotted: Hoomanawhatever, Edelman, Hernandez, Gregory, and Gronk (fielded questions from the media, which has tended to be a sign the injury isn't serious).

#7 JohnnyTheBone

• 3857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

I've watched a few of Peyton's games this year, and he's not the same guy. Denver's defense is a bit overrated, as well. The Pats have been on the road for three of their four games, and I have to believe they're hungry for some home cooking and will come out with a strong effort. People are expecting a close game, but I love the Pats this week and I think they will win comfortably. We won't be sweating it out in the 4th quarter.

#8 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13934 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

We won't be sweating it out in the 4th quarter.

I've been sweating it out in the 4th Quarter since about 2007, and will until this defense shows consistent improvement.

EDIT: OH! And a hearty FUCK YOU to the league schedulers, who have yet again placed the Vikings on CBS at the same time the Pats play. What the FUCK?! This NEVER HAPPENED in the past two seasons, as far as I can remember, and this is at least the second time already this year.

Edited by drleather2001, 03 October 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

News says it's going to be a washout and played in downpours.

#10 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41528 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Manning's passes may go end over end in this weather.

Also, I am jerking it to news of Gregory possibly being out.

#11 Turrable

• 2164 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've been sweating it out in the 4th Quarter since about 2007, and will until this defense shows consistent improvement.

EDIT: OH! And a hearty FUCK YOU to the league schedulers, who have yet again placed the Vikings on CBS at the same time the Pats play. What the FUCK?! This NEVER HAPPENED in the past two seasons, as far as I can remember, and this is at least the second time already this year.

CBS broadcasts all games where the road team is an AFC team, so...at least it won't happen again this year?

#12 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11068 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Has that ever been that case?

Seems to me like every time the weather sucks Brady is slinging it.

#13 Soxy Brown

• 2442 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm in much the same boat down here with the Panthers. Of course they're playing a home game at 4pm on a Sunday when I'm off, and when the Pats will be the national game. Why wouldn't that happen?

Looks like I'll be going the streaming route.

Has that ever been that case?

Seems to me like every time the weather sucks Brady is slinging it.

Snow, yes. Rain? Not so much. Big difference between the two. Generally it's much harder to throw in the rain than in the snow. Although it depends on how rainy we're talking here.

#14 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Weather for Foxboro on Sunday calls for a high of 55 and 50% chance of rain.

#15 j44thor

• 4026 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm in much the same boat down here with the Panthers. Of course they're playing a home game at 4pm on a Sunday when I'm off, and when the Pats will be the national game. Why wouldn't that happen?

Looks like I'll be going the streaming route.

Snow, yes. Rain? Not so much. Big difference between the two. Generally it's much harder to throw in the rain than in the snow. Although it depends on how rainy we're talking here.

Wind is what Brady doesn't like throwing in, rain or snow he loves. Reason being it slows down the pass rush and makes cutting very difficult for DBs. WR know where they are going so they can anticipate the cuts, DB's not so much. Snow/Rain don't really effect the throws but wind does. Conversely the running game may struggle in rain because again the RB's can't make the sharp cuts needed to hit the hole.

#16 Soxy Brown

• 2442 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

We all can rattle off the games he's played great in the snow, but I can't think of any game with heavy rains that Brady played exceptionally well in. I remember some rainy, sloppy home games where the Pats won, but not any where Brady slung it all over the place. Maybe there's some I'm forgetting.

I thought the conventional wisdom was that snow was easier to throw in than rain because visibility is better and it's easier to grip the football (than in rainy conditions, that is). I tried googling and all I could find is this quote from Easterbrook: "In rain usually it's best to run; in snow, it's best to throw." Of course, he gives no evidence or reasons why that is the case, but I've always heard the same thing.

Edited by Soxy Brown, 04 October 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#17 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21365 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Bad example. Wasn't rain.

I actually can't remember many games they even played in legitimate downpours. The only one that comes to mind is like 2006 vs the Jets - he was 24/36, 253 1 TD/1 INT, and sacked 4 times.

I would say that I instinctively don't buy a simple argument like that, especially when someone creates a rhyme out of it. And the proliferation of top-end gloves really dampens (pun intended) the point re. slipperiness.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 04 October 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#18 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

2004 against the Ravens was a downpour.

Brady 15-30 172 yards 0 TD 0 INT

#19 loshjott

• 3732 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

2004 against the Ravens was a downpour.

Brady 15-30 172 yards 0 TD 0 INT

Top 5 career game for Sanchez.

#20 Soxy Brown

• 2442 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

That was one of the games I was thinking of. I also recall this 2003 game against the Giants where it was rainy and sloppy.

Brady went 8-21 for 112 yards. The immortal Kerry Collins went 35-59 (!?!) for 314 yards and 4 INTs. Pats got outgained by 162 yards and still won 17-6.

#21 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21365 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I can't even remember the Giants game - good catch. The Ravens game I do remember now that jsinger mentioned it.

#22 loshjott

• 3732 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

All of those games were before the field turf was installed.

#23 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6596 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I remember that Giants game... Matt Chatham returned a fumble for a TD on like the first play or drive. And didn't Rodney have a couple picks? Or was it Law?

Edit: yeah Rodney had 2 picks

Edited by tims4wins, 04 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#24 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hernandez is back at practice

#25 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hernandez was limping a bit after running his first route during positional drills and was testing his ankle when he was off to the side. He looked fine after a drill a few minutes later when he had to really stutter-step and plant his feet before turning for the ball.

http://www.bostonher...rn-to-practice/

#26 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

http://www.bostonher...rn-to-practice/

He's not going to play on Sunday.

#27 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

He's not going to play on Sunday.

Most likely not but next Sunday at Seattle looks like it might be in play, which is huge because it's impossible to run on that team.

#28 j44thor

• 4026 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Bad example. Wasn't rain.

I actually can't remember many games they even played in legitimate downpours. The only one that comes to mind is like 2006 vs the Jets - he was 24/36, 253 1 TD/1 INT, and sacked 4 times.

I would say that I instinctively don't buy a simple argument like that, especially when someone creates a rhyme out of it. And the proliferation of top-end gloves really dampens (pun intended) the point re. slipperiness.

Sunday isn't expected to be downpours, less than .5 inch of rain predicted all day and tapering off into the night.
I don't think the conditions are going to play much of a factor. Certainly not to the extent people are making them out to be. 53 with light rain/breeze IS football weather in the North East.

#29 Boston Brawler

• 4487 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Coverage map: http://www.the506.com/temp11.html

I hate living in central NY.

#30 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8030 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Coverage map: http://www.the506.com/temp11.html

I hate living in central NY.

I think I would too. Especially if they don't have sports bars where I could catch the Pats on satellite.

FWIW, which is very little, all of the ESPN "experts" but Mortensen (who has by far the best record thus far) and Schlereth are picking the Pats this week.

#31 shoosh77

• 629 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Funny little read: http://imgur.com/a/9H0Hv

#32 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Jeff Howe: Gregory and Edelman still out of practice today. Dowling returned and Hernandez practiced again.

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/254251415118172160
link to tweet

#33 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Guess we'll be seeing a lot of Tavon this week. Hope it's not seeing him getting toasted down the middle a bunch or biting on Manning's play fakes. Good early test for the rookie.

#34 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7021 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Guess we'll be seeing a lot of Tavon this week. Hope it's not seeing him getting toasted down the middle a bunch or biting on Manning's play fakes. Good early test for the rookie.

This is where the lack of safety depth is a little scary. Are we going to see Chung and Wilson play every down? Is Nate Ebner going to get some snaps, either at safety or in the LB-like "money" role Wilson's been playing? Are we going to see McCourty or Moore back there some? Is Matt Slater taking reps in practice right now?

#35 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

This is where the lack of safety depth is a little scary. Are we going to see Chung and Wilson play every down? Is Nate Ebner going to get some snaps, either at safety or in the LB-like "money" role Wilson's been playing? Are we going to see McCourty or Moore back there some? Is Matt Slater taking reps in practice right now?

If I had to guess...

Base D will be McCourty, Arrington, Wilson, Chung
Nickel D will be McCourty, Moore, Arrington (slot/star), Wilson, Chung
Dime D will be McCourty, Moore, Arrington, Wilson, Chung, and either Ebner or Dowling... which, as you point, is kind of scary, especially if someone goes down. Please god do not let us see Slater on D on Sunday.

#36 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7021 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

If I had to guess...

Base D will be McCourty, Arrington, Wilson, Chung
Nickel D will be McCourty, Moore, Arrington (slot/star), Wilson, Chung
Dime D will be McCourty, Moore, Arrington, Wilson, Chung, and either Ebner or Dowling... which, as you point, is kind of scary, especially if someone goes down. Please god do not let us see Slater on D on Sunday.

I think this is right, but is Wilson ready to play 70 snaps on D? What if he or Chung gets gets banged up and has to sit out a series? Yikes ...

#37 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

His snaps have gone 42, 18, 12, and 34, so it's definitely up in the air - and I'm very concerned if they suffer an injury. If one of the safeties go down, I think we could see some McCourty at safety would Moore-Arrington-Dowling at CB, as well as some McCourty-Arrington-Moore CB with Chung and Ebner at S.

#38 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

OUT
Steve Gregory(hip)
Julian Edelman(hand)

Questionable
Rob Gronkowski(hip)
Aaron Hernandez(ankle)
Michael Hoomanawanuai
Brandon Bolden(knee)
Brandon Deadrick(ankle)
Justin Francis(ankle)
Dont'a Hightower(hamstring)
Logan Mankins(calf/hip)
Nick McDonald(right shoulder)
Sterling Moore(knee)
Shane Vereen(left foot)
Sebastian Vollmer(back)

PROBABLE
Kyle Love(knee)

Denver has 5 guys listed as Probable and that's it.

http://blog.patriots...ker-room-notes/

#39 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7021 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Guessing the inactives:
WR Edelman
TE Hernandez
TE Hoomanawanui
G/C Tennant
DE Francis
DE Bequette
S Gregory

#40 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41528 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Is Vollmer a new addition, or has he been on all year?

#41 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7021 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Is Vollmer a new addition, or has he been on all year?

He's been on all year.

#42 PedrosRedGlove

• 488 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Alfonzo Dennard was taken off the injury report for the first time in almost a month this week. I'm wondering if he or Dowling might be candidates to take some reps at safety. It would be a risk sending out such inexperience against Manning, but you do have the silver lining that there isn't much tape of either that he could've studied. There is also the potential to move McCourty and/or Moore to different spots in the backfield in sub packages if necessary.

Hopefully Chandler Jones has a huge day....
Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Looking like a chance the rain doesn't get here in time for the game.

#44 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10678 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Pats better tackle like they did on vs. Titals come Sunday.

Manning & the Denver offense lives on YAC this year - 6th in the league with 576 yards/total. Your NE Patriots are 8th with 561.

#45 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Christopher Price@cpriceNFL
Gene Steratore set to work as referee for #Patriots & #Broncos on Sunday, per @footballzebras.

#46 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Sal Pal was on SportsCenter this morning and reported that Gronkowski was a big concern with his back as well. He talked to Mike Reiss and he said the team is concerned. Great.

#47 Eck'sSneakyCheese

• SoSH Member

• 8343 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Sal Pal was on SportsCenter this morning and reported that Gronkowski was a big concern with his back as well. He talked to Mike Reiss and he said the team is concerned. Great.

OK, so no Hernandez, no H-uh oh-manamana, and possibly no Gronk? No 2 TE sets then? And here I thought they had enough TEs on the roster...

#48 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

OK, so no Hernandez, no H-uh oh-manamana, and possibly no Gronk? No 2 TE sets then? And here I thought they had enough TEs on the roster...

Doesn't mean Gronk will be out. But with his injury history it's a big concern.

#49 Turrable

• 2164 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Just saw Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski arriving here at Gillette, walking without a hitch. I'm told he's played thru pain, but it's manageable.

Breer

#50 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2755 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Doesn't mean Gronk will be out. But with his injury history it's a big concern.

While I absolutely am concerned about Gronk's hip (I'd be concerned about ANY injury to him, he's arguably our second-most important offensive player) I don't really feel as though his injury history comes into play here- his previous injuries were to his back and his ankle, so this would seem to be unrelated. Unless it's a back problem manifesting as hip pain, then all bets are off, but I doubt that.

As for what his diagnosis is, who the hell knows - "hip pain" could be so many different things - hip flexor, hip pointer, labrum - we'll obviously never know unless and until he has surgery - let's hope it doesn't come to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users