Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

NY postseason roster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

With NY having clinched a playoff spot, it's not jinxing anything to start talking about this now, even if it's not clear yet whether NY will be the #1, #2, or #4 seed (they can't be #5). Managers can take extra players for the wild card game this year, because they can leave off some SPs and then reset the roster for the ALDS if they win, but this is an attempt at a ALDS roster:

Sabathia
Pettitte
Kuroda
Hughes

Phelps
Joba
Rapada
Logan
Robertson
Soriano

Jeter
Ichiro
Cano
Tex
Granderson
Swisher
A-Rod
Ibanez
Martin

Stewart
Nunez (Nix is hurt for at least another week)
Chavez
Gardner

That is 23, leaving 2 spots for some combo of Lowe, Garcia, Nova, Eppley, Andruw Jones, or Dickerson. Maybe Lowe and Dickerson?

#2 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Lowe probably solidified his spot last night, so that would leave one spot open for the rest of that group I listed.

#3 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, Girardi has been very complimentary of Lowe this past week. Final spot is a tough one but we all know Jones killed himself over the past two months. I'm a big fan of Dickerson and would vote for him as No. 25.

Is Gardner there for his ability to get picked off? Just kidding. His defense is important.

#4 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I don't think his defense is so important with the current roster, Ichiro seems to be the everyday LF now (UZR loves him this year, I'm not as sure), Ibanez/Nunez may be the current platoon DHs. I think he makes it primarily as a pinch-running option, especially since Nunez may be the only backup for Cano/Jeter.

#5 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

RAB on the position player part of the roster, they agree with my 13 guys above but prefer McGehee or Jones over Dickerson for the last spot. Jones I can see based on his resume, McGehee not so much.

http://riveraveblues...s-roster-77005/

#6 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

And here's the pitching half, I think they might go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players which RAB doesn't seem to consider as a possibility:

http://riveraveblues...s-roster-77010/

#7 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

RAB on the position player part of the roster, they agree with my 13 guys above but prefer McGehee or Jones over Dickerson for the last spot. Jones I can see based on his resume, McGehee not so much.

http://riveraveblues...s-roster-77005/

Are they worried about either A-Rod or Tex getting hurt? McGehee comes in handy then. Can't see Jones for any reason.

#8 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Throw Jayson Nix back into the mix for the 25th guy, he was thought to be hurt for another week or so, but was taking practice ABs today observed by the coaching staff. He would be the best fit if he was healthy, that would let them use Nunez as a pinch-runner if necessary.

#9 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

McGehee has been told he's not on the ALDS roster.

#10 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Dickerson and Aardsma both tweeted they're not on the roster. I think the last guy has to be Nix, or I guess maybe the remnants of Andruw Jones.

#11 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

NY will announce this around 10 AM tomorrow, even though it's clear to everyone who cares who is on the team already. Jones told reporters today he's not on the roster, so the last guy is clearly Nix.

#12 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

As expected, Nix and Lowe make the team, Nova, Eppley, Jones, Dickerson don't.

#13 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I know this isn't specifically a postseason roster thing but I was just over at baseballreference.com and out of idle curiosity went to check out ARod's numbers for this year. Yikes. I knew roughly how much time he'd missed but I somehow had the impression that he'd had much better rate stats than he actually had this year. His slugging %'s since his terrific 2007 season are one continuous ski slope.

And we'll get to see 5 more numbers in this progression.

Considering his ongoing erosion of abilities, Teixeira and others, is this a do it now or that window closes almost too tight post season for the yankees?

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 07 October 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#14 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Full roster:

Pitchers (11): RHPs Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Rafael Soriano, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, David Phelps, and Derek Lowe. LHPs CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte, Boone Logan, and Clay Rapada.
Catchers (2): Russell Martin and Chris Stewart.
Infielders (7): 1B Mark Teixeira, 2B Robinson Cano, SS Derek Jeter, 3B Alex Rodriguez, IF Eduardo Nunez, IF Eric Chavez, and UTIL Jayson Nix.
Outfielders (5): Ichiro Suzuki, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Brett Gardner, and Raul Ibanez.

#15 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,378 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Considering his ongoing erosion of abilities, Teixeira and others, is this a do it now or that window closes almost too tight post season for the yankees?

I think the answer to this depends a lot on whether NY really sticks to this "get under $189M for 2014" plan. If they do, then quite possibly, but hopefully their decision makers understand this too. It also of course depends a lot on Pettitte and Kuroda and whether both or one or neither come back.