Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Season Ticket Holders offered chance to Hit at Fenway

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1051 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

We received this today:

As a small token of our appreciation for your loyal support as a Season Ticket Holder, you are cordially invited to a special opportunity to take on-field batting practice at Fenway Park on Friday, October 5 (9 am - 9:30 pm), Sunday, October 7 (4:30 pm - 9:30 pm), or Monday, October 8 (9 am - 9:30 pm).

• You must RSVP to attend. All times will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. To book your preferred date and time for batting practice, please call 877-REDSOX9. We will do our best to accommodate your top choice, but please have alternate date/time ready in the event that your preferred time slot is full.
  • Each account holder will get 5 pitches from the batting practice machine on the field at Fenway Park's home plate.
  • Only one representative from each account will be eligible to take on-field batting practice. Guests are welcome to attend and watch from the seating bowl. All ages are welcome.
  • No cleats of any kind. Wooden and metal bats as well as helmets will be provided.
In addition to taking your swings, you and your guests can experience...
  • Begin with a behind the scenes tour of Fenway Park - starting with your walk to the field via the Visitors Clubhouse.
  • Pose for pictures with the 2004 and 2007 World Series trophies
  • Kids of all ages can enjoy the fun in Wally's World
  • Photo opportunities throughout Fenway Park - including from atop the Green Monster
  • 1/2 price ballpark fare will be available for all
  • Special giveaways throughout each day
RSVP today to book your spot!

I'll be there on Sunday night, now to remember how to hit a baseball.

#2 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10124 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Only reason they are doing this is that the team sucks. In any other year they wouldn't give a shit about the season ticket holders.

#3 teddykgb

• 3610 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Only reason they are doing this is that the team sucks. In any other year they wouldn't give a shit about the season ticket holders.

This is probably true, but is that such a bad thing? The product on the field didn't live up to their expectations or the season ticket holder's expectations this year. This is a cost effective way for them to restore some "value" to what the season ticket holders purchased this year. It's a hell of a gesture and I'm envious of everyone who gets the chance. Sure, the cynic in me says that they could have restored that value with some better moves, but what is done is done, and I think it's pretty lousy if we can't appreciate a good move by the FO from time to time, and this is certainly one of them, who among them won't love this experience?

#4 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10124 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

This is probably true, but is that such a bad thing? The product on the field didn't live up to their expectations or the season ticket holder's expectations this year. This is a cost effective way for them to restore some "value" to what the season ticket holders purchased this year. It's a hell of a gesture and I'm envious of everyone who gets the chance. Sure, the cynic in me says that they could have restored that value with some better moves, but what is done is done, and I think it's pretty lousy if we can't appreciate a good move by the FO from time to time, and this is certainly one of them, who among them won't love this experienc

Slashing ticket prices would be a much better gesture for a horrific season and 3 straight none playoff seasons.

#5 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1712 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Slashing ticket prices would be a much better gesture for a horrific season and 3 straight none playoff seasons.

Once upon a time, Red Sox fans used to talk down on Yankees fans by saying that they had a sense of entitlement.

The Red Sox should be commended for doing this,

#6 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5580 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

This is probably true, but is that such a bad thing? The product on the field didn't live up to their expectations or the season ticket holder's expectations this year.

I dont think its bad, but it demonstrates their arrogance. This special opportunity probably costs them maybe $10K - $20K in terms of additional labor fees they will incur, but they do it this year to try to retain season ticket holders because the demand for their product is going down. But when the demand was through the roof, I dont remember them doing any such thing, the special opportunities were things like buying bricks. Its a nice gesture, but something they really could have been doing for years but just didnt care enough to do so.

#7 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2939 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Wow, how cynical. This is a great opportunity for the Sox to show their appreciation to their loyal customer base. I'm gladly participating Sunday morning.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Red Sox don't give a shit about season ticket holders. They offer pre-sale ticket opportunities for game tickets as well as for every concert held at Fenway.

Remind me of ONE kindness bestowed upon ST holders by previous ownership.

#8 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5580 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

I think those of us that are critical of this move have the opinion because its the first real gesture that involves costing them some money and the timing (bad season). The pre-sale is nice, but it does not cost them any money, and helps them because it limits the supply of tickets to hit the market.

Not being cynical, just curious because I am not a ST holder so I dont know, are there really any perks that they provide that are truly special which dont bring money back to them? For example, if a perk is a 10% discount on apparel, I wouldnt consider that a perk that isnt driven by profit.

#9 BoSoxLady

• 2939 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Are you a ST holder?

#10 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28222 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

The team could use some more offense; with any luck they'll find a diamond in the rough.

In all seriousness, next year's team will have a lower payroll than this year's team- perhaps by a lot. Wouldn't it be a good PR move to cut ticket prices?

#11 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

its a nice gesture, and one that if I were still a season tix holder would take advantage of, but there is a the cynical side that says, between the 50% off of beers, sodas dogs,that have a limited shelf-life, and the photo packages that will get peddled, they'll probably make a few bucks off this event. And besides they may find a cheap DH.

#12 Lefty on the Mound

• SoSH Member

• 1317 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Wow, how cynical. This is a great opportunity for the Sox to show their appreciation to their loyal customer base. I'm gladly participating Sunday morning.

I hope that amh03, sittingstill or another SoSHer with awesome camera skills is there to record this epic moment in Fenway history!

#13 Koufax

• 1892 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

are there really any perks that they provide that are truly special which dont bring money back to them?

As a season ticket holder since the prior to the new millenium, I can think of two perks that don't bring money back to them:

1. Cheesy Christmas tree decorations made out of stamped metal that you can cut yourself on (every year)
2. A paperback book chock full of facts and figures that I never look at.

That's it. Otherwise, it's "Here is another exciting opportunity to send us money!!!!" The Royal Rooters Club being the latest, most egregious example yet.

#14 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3565 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I dont think its bad, but it demonstrates their arrogance. This special opportunity probably costs them maybe $10K - $20K in terms of additional labor fees they will incur, but they do it this year to try to retain season ticket holders because the demand for their product is going down. But when the demand was through the roof, I dont remember them doing any such thing, the special opportunities were things like buying bricks. Its a nice gesture, but something they really could have been doing for years but just didnt care enough to do so.

This is the first year in this ownership's reign that the Sox have been unequivocally terrible with playoff hopes dashed early. I'm assuming they never considered doing this 2 days after the season ended because they were busy planning the potential post-season plans. As things like this take time to plan(ie staffing the event), this probably started being put together after the massive trade.

Is it an attempt for a cheap money-grab? I dunno, maybe? Who cares? Anyone who's not interested in 5 swings at Fenway, I'll gladly take your spot, sign me up for as late as possible so I can plan my bus ride to Boston accordingly.

#15 tonyandpals

• 3386 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

As a season ticket holder since the prior to the new millenium, I can think of two perks that don't bring money back to them:

1. Cheesy Christmas tree decorations made out of stamped metal that you can cut yourself on (every year)

That's it. Otherwise, it's "Here is another exciting opportunity to send us money!!!!" The Royal Rooters Club being the latest, most egregious example yet.

Don't forget the Sellout Streak foam baseballs!

I had plans to be there Sunday morning as well, but I need to call back and switch to Monday.

#16 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 4061 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

The Sea Dogs have done this for years - it's always on a weekend early in the season. I have to admit, it's pretty goddamn fun, but I'd swear they've always got the pitching machine set so there's a ton of top-spin. Those things sink like crazy.

#17 BoSoxLady

• 2939 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Let's put the ST holders benefits into perspective:
http://countingbaseb...round-baseball/

#18 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2248 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I knew this already, but you can get a ST for under 4 bills in Pittsburgh.

Of course you'd have to live in Pittsburgh and watch the Pirates, but I hear the stadium is really nice.

If I had to live there, I'd sure as heck watch a lot of live baseball.

#19 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38287 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm gladly participating Sunday morning.

I hope that amh03, sittingstill or another SoSHer with awesome camera skills is there to record this epic moment in Fenway history!

Shortest batter at Fenway since Freddie Patek? ;)

#20 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22481 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Interesting that Scotty got this invite today, as I know folks who got it middle of last week.

I'm looking forward to seeing the toothpick that BSL takes up to the plate with her.

#21 Koufax

• 1892 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

I never ever got a foam baseball. If I had, I would have listed it.

Did they hand them out at the game? That would explain it ... I haven't been to more than three games a year in recent years. The tickets are too damn expensive. I offlload nearly all of them.

#22 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5580 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

This is the first year in this ownership's reign that the Sox have been unequivocally terrible with playoff hopes dashed early. I'm assuming they never considered doing this 2 days after the season ended because they were busy planning the potential post-season plans. As things like this take time to plan(ie staffing the event), this probably started being put together after the massive trade.

Not to just trash on them, but if they really, really wanted to do this for fans when things were good they could have got it done. They could have done this during the season during a road trip, and while it takes some planning they currently have the capacity to manage 81 home games, private events at the park, concerts and tours of the park, so I am pretty sure they have the resources to plan 3 days each year to facilitate some batting practice if they really wanted to.

Just the timing of this coming off a horrible season, and more importantly when fan interest is waning is just suspect so I just dont think this is really an altruistic gesture thats all.

#23 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1051 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Interesting that Scotty got this invite today, as I know folks who got it middle of last week.

I'm looking forward to seeing the toothpick that BSL takes up to the plate with her.

I didn't even see it. My cousin who was the 20 game pack clued me in. Our season tickets are in my father's name and he got the e-mail. I didn't bother asking him when the e-mail came from, just confirming that he got it.

Look, we all know why they're doing this but at the same time - they didn't have to. This is the type of loss leader type thing that companies should do when something goes wrong.

#24 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22481 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Ahhh, 20 game pack (and 10s?) might be getting them after the old fashioned types. I know Weekend and Sundays got invites last week.

#25 tonyandpals

• 3386 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

I never ever got a foam baseball. If I had, I would have listed it.

Did they hand them out at the game? That would explain it ... I haven't been to more than three games a year in recent years. The tickets are too damn expensive. I offlload nearly all of them.

Nope, they were mailed. I believe after 500 games and after the streak was broken. Something like that... Not really sure as they just ended up in a box somewhere.

#26 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25522 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

People will take them up on it. Small salve, but at least they're offering it.

I hope Cheri dents the Wall.

#27 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5898 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

remember that during the season, they organize softball games etc. on the field for charity.

#28 Koufax

• 1892 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Actually you are right. I have received a couple of baseballs over the years. Add them to the list.

#29 OBPercent1

• 279 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Lose I am going on Friday- I will be lucky to get it out of the infield

#30 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

While I agree with the cynics in general about this, the bottom line is if I was a ST holder I'd think this was pretty fucking awesome. Sure they're trying to buy a little goodwill, but honestly, if there's a guy out there who's decision to renew/not renew will be swayed by this, do you really have any sympathy for them being bought off like this?

#31 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Red Sox don't give a shit about season ticket holders. They offer pre-sale ticket opportunities for game tickets as well as for every concert held at Fenway.

The truth hurts, BSL. It may be cynical, but jsinger and Koufax are 100% correct. It's a nice gesture, and we all wish that you and all other STH's enjoy this opportunity wholeheartedly, but this is a money making/saving opportunity for the club. It's a bad sign, IMHO, that ticket prices will not be reduced. If they don't reduce some seats (namely the SSPC and Loge Boxes 163-5, Field Boxes 81-82), it's going to be interesting seeing how full or not those areas will be.

As a non-STH (and there are more of us, obviously), it is disappointing to see, and that's before any envy setting in (as I probably couldn't hit a ball past the mound) .

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 01 October 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#32 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16580 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yes. As the bolded part shows, the people they really shit on are the individual game ticket buyers.

#33 BoSoxLady

• 2939 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's a bad sign, IMHO, that ticket prices will not be reduced. If they don't reduce some seats (namely the SSPC and Loge Boxes 163-5, Field Boxes 81-82), it's going to be interesting seeing how full or not those areas will be.

There's been no announcement regarding ticket prices for 2013. Obviously, there will be no increase. Whenever ticket prices increase, my Loge seats are always included. I'd appreciate a reduction. :)

#34 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4371 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

What time are you going to be there Cheri? Need some pics?

#35 StatGeekNY

• 222 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

My dad and I fought over which one of us should do it (each wanting the other to have the chance). I know I'd swing and miss five times so I finally won and will be watching him hit at noon on Friday. Now I just have to figure out how to juggle the video camera and the camera!

I'm sure they will make more money on concessions than it costs them in labor but I still think it is a cool opportunity. Don't they charge a ridiculous amount of money to do this through the jimmy fund? I'm sure if they were charging for the at bats, they would still fill up.

(null)

#36 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25522 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

While I agree with the cynics in general about this, the bottom line is if I was a ST holder I'd think this was pretty fucking awesome. Sure they're trying to buy a little goodwill, but honestly, if there's a guy out there who's decision to renew/not renew will be swayed by this, do you really have any sympathy for them being bought off like this?

I was part of a season ticket package this year and had 8 games, so obviously I'm not one of the real die-hards, but after the utter shitshow of a season the team put together this year this is the least they can do for the fans who's committed the most time and money to watch the worst Sox team in more than 40 years embarrass themselves for 6 months straight. I wouldn't label this cynical, I'd label it damage control and common sense.

#37 tonyandpals

• 3386 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

I don't care how shitty the team was this year, bottom line for me is this was a bucket list item and I'm going to get to cross it off. I may even buy a half price hot dog.

#38 Leon Trotsky

• 1566 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

The cynicism about this is crazy. I am going to get to come up from the visitor dugout and take five swings at the plate. At Fenway Park! How freakin' awesome is that! Sure its been a shitshow of a season, but as a STH I know I certainly appreciate this gesture from the team.

#39 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25522 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Meh. I already played a game at Fenway this year. I'll skip it. :globalsox:

#40 thestardawg

• 265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

The good news. I received the invitation

The good news. I am going to Vegas for my bachelor party.

The bad news. My bachelor party is this weekend, and I'm missing this.

However, for anyone else in the same situation, you can assign someone to take your swings.

The better news. I probably don't have to get my brother a Christmas present this year.

#41 jkempa

• 4939 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

The good news. I received the invitation

The good news. I am going to Vegas for my bachelor party.

The bad news. My bachelor party is this weekend, and I'm missing this.

However, for anyone else in the same situation, you can assign someone to take your swings.

The better news. I probably don't have to get my brother a Christmas present this year.

I'm in a similar boat (missing it but have another fun thing I'm doing), but there weren't many spots left. If you're at all looking to go, do not delay in calling.

#42 Guapos Toenails

• 1844 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

As someone who works there I think I can say that they will have concessions (i'm sure only the one stand behind home will be open) open as a convenience to the ST holders that show up. I can't imagine that there will be beer sales... I think that this is a genuine attempt to reach out to the regular customers as a "thank you" for sticking witht he team during a horrible year.

Where they WILL make a ton of money is from the Fanfoto pictures that they will sell. And I actually wouldn't be surprised if they mail you a photo for free, since they will know your name and address when you sign up.

#43 Billy Jo Robidoux

• Shoveltowner/Jerkface

• 2213 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

I just called to make an appointment, and all three days are fully booked. The best they could do was take my phone number in case of a cancellation.

I was really looking forward to laying down a few bunts.

#44 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38287 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

For some STH's, this gesture will be the equivalent of a restaurant owner/manager wiping X% off the dinner check to appease a dissatisfied customer. In other words, the right thing to do. I believe that for the vast majority, it will form the basis of a lifelong memory for them or a family member, regardless of whether or not the crappiest Red Sox season in 47 years was the impetus.

I can't envision a single STH thinking to themselves, "What assholes! How dare they offer me a chance to hit in Fenway Park after this utter shitshow!!"

#45 gars finnvold

• 1093 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

My 10 year old son will be taking 5 swings under the lights on Sunday night. I, along with the lovely Mrs. Finnvold and his two sisters, will be rooting him on. Even if he swings and misses on each pitch, this will undoubtedly be the highlight of the season.

#46 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2789 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Just got back - they did a nice job with it and it was a perfect day.

For the record, I fouled off three and hit two grounders to short. Better than Iglesias, anyway.

#47 StatGeekNY

• 222 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Job very well done by the sox. I got some great photos and my dad was like a little kid. It was so much fun to watch him. He got one solid single - line drive to left.

(null)

#48 mandro ramtinez

• 1149 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

If you called and were told that there were no spots, I recommend calling again. I was put on the waiting list on Wednesday and today I called and there were a bunch of slots open on Sunday and Monday. I grabbed a Monday afternoon slot, hoping I make at least some contact.

#49 EvilEmpire

• 4588 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Just got back - they did a nice job with it and it was a perfect day.

For the record, I fouled off three and hit two grounders to short. Better than Iglesias, anyway.

So, do you know if they've filled up the roster for next year yet?

#50 cmac24

• 1923 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm going Sunday night. For those that went, how did it go for the people in the stands? Did they only have a small section of the stands open? When they asked me how many people were coming I said 4, but if I showed up with more would it be a problem? Thanks in advance.