Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012-13 Sox Scouting Department Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,364 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Figured we could use this to report, assess and discuss the various comings and goings this winter.

Edes

[The Red Sox] are about to hire Eddie Bane, the man who drafted spectacular rookie Mike Trout while he was scouting director of the Los Angeles Angels, as a major league special assignment scout with additional responsibilities in both amateur and professional scouting.

Bane, who was hired by the Tigers as a pro scout after he was fired by the Angels in 2010 -- Tony Reagins, the GM who fired him, subsequently lost his job a year later -- was granted permission by the Tigers to interview with the Red Sox, who met with him earlier this month.

Bane, 60, is a former pitcher with the Minnesota Twins who became a scout with the Indians and has been tracking players for the better part of three decades. He was with the Dodgers for years -- he drafted a Rhode Island kid named Paul Konerko in the first round in 1994 -- and served five years as a special assistant to Tampa Bay GM Chuck LaMar (1999-2003). He became the Angels' scouting director in 2004, and his first ever pick was Jered Weaver, the ace of the Angels' staff.

He also has drafted such current Angels as outfielder Peter Bourjos and Mark Trumbo, and on the international side signed first baseman Kendrys Morales.

The Red Sox are not done restructuring their front office. They are expected to add at least one more talent evaluator. Among names that could be available are Gordon Blakeley, the longtime Yankees special assistant; former Dodgers GM Danny Evans; and Jays assistant GM Tony La Cava. The priority, it appears, may be someone with considerable amateur experience, although the job may depend on the hire.

#2 BosRedSox5

• Stuart Smalley devotee

• 1,258 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Is their plan to overhaul the scouting department? "Of course!" When this team is ashes, then you have my permission to rebuild.

Okay, so, Bane jokes aside... I'm not really qualified to evaluate the level of scouts they're bringing in, but I do appreciate that it's a priority. The fact that they're making an effort to improve scouting gives me hope for the future.

#3 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,588 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Okay, so, Bane jokes aside... I'm not really qualified to evaluate the level of scouts they're bringing in, but I do appreciate that it's a priority. The fact that they're making an effort to improve scouting gives me hope for the future.

I like the fact that they're talking about giving Bill James a bigger role, and at the same time giving the scouting department a facelift--the message is "we need better information of all kinds, from all sources." Which, obviously, they do.

#4 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,364 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

A couple more tidbits from MLBTR:

The Red Sox are bolstering their scouting department in anticipation of having, for the first time since 1993 and just the second time since 1967, a top ten pick in the amateur draft, reports WEEI.com's Alex Speier. The team rehired John Booher, the person most directly involved in the scouting process of Jacoby Ellsbury in 2005 and Nick Hagadone in 2007, and hired former MLB pitcher Brian Moehler as an area scout for Georgia.

Tom Kotchman, who resigned last week as a manager and scout in the Angels organization, interviewed with the Red Sox on Thursday, tweets Conor Glassey of Baseball America. Glassey points to former Angels scouting director Eddie Bane's position with Boston as the club's new Special Assistant to Player Personnel for the mutual interest.

Edited by mabrowndog, 04 November 2012 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users