Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Rumors that Cano tested positive for PEDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 BellhornIsGod

• 173 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Peter Gammons just said on Felger & Mazz that he heard a rumor 3 weeks ago that Cano tested positive for a banned substance. Sounds eerily similar to the Melky Cabrera situation. If true this would obviously kill the Yankees.

P.S. If this is better served in Radomski's lounge, then feel free to move it.

#2 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 6,101 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

The obvious question is, if he tested positive, why is he still playing?

Gammons may have lost his fastball a few years ago, but he's not in the business of rumor mongering. This could get interesting.

#3 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,324 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Fingers crossed. Didn't it take about 3 weeks from 'rumor' to 'officially released statement' for Melky?

#4 BellhornIsGod

• 173 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

The obvious question is, if he tested positive, why is he still playing?

Gammons may have lost his fastball a few years ago, but he's not in the business of rumor mongering. This could get interesting.

I believe the results of a positive test are not SUPPOSED to be released until after the player goes through the appeal process (the process that exonerated Braun). But in Braun's case it went public very quickly. In Melky's case it was just hushed rumors that he denied. This seems to be closer to Melky than Braun if true.

#5 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I believe the results of a positive test are not SUPPOSED to be released until after the player goes through the appeal process (the process that exonerated Braun). But in Braun's case it went public very quickly. In Melky's case it was just hushed rumors that he denied. This seems to be closer to Melky than Braun if true.

Mark Feinsand@BloggingBombers

There is nothing to this Cano/PED rumor. I just spoke with Cano and he said he has not tested positive and there's no suspension coming.

#6 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,744 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

STOP IT! Everyone, media especially. Stop leaking this shit, stop reporting it. This screwed up the whole Braun thing, and it'll screw this up too. If it's a positive after both samples are done and the right protocol has been met - let it get announced. If that hasn't happened, it's non-news.

#7 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,407 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

So you're saying if it wasn't leaked, Braun would haven't gotten away with it?

#8 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

So you're saying if it wasn't leaked, Braun would haven't gotten away with it?

No. I think that if it was not leaked, we would not have known that he even took a test

#9 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,152 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Mark Feinsand@BloggingBombers
There is nothing to this Cano/PED rumor. I just spoke with Cano and he said he has not tested positive and there's no suspension coming.

Oh, well that settles it.

Btw, here was Melky's response to his rumored failed test.

SAN FRANCISCO -- A surprised Melky Cabrera categorically denied an Internet rumor that he had tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, saying neither he nor the Players' Association has received any such information from Major League Baseball.

Cabrera learned of the rumor from a team trainer, who asked if it was true. He immediately called his agent, who said the rumor was unfounded.

http://www.csnbayare...?blockID=747501

Edited by BannedbyNYYFans.com, 20 September 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#10 JohnnyK

• 1,015 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Oh, well that settles it.

There's also this though:
https://twitter.com/BloggingBombers/status/248881099198050304
link to tweet
link to tweet

Multiple team and league sources have also confirmed that there is no Cano positive test or suspension.

No idea how reliable these sources are, and if they'd be allowed to talk about it, of course.

#11 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,522 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

It would explain why he keeps getting fucking huge every season.

#12 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

It would explain why he keeps getting fucking huge every season.

Cano over the past three weeks (Since Aug 28):

.243 / .341 / .446

#13 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,903 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I didn't hear the whole interview, but the clips Felger replayed basically went like this:
-Felger: PG, there are rumors in the twittersphere that Cano tested positive. Not from journalists.
-PG: I've heard that rumor, but have no confirmation. There are lots of rumors that never get confirmed. Heard about Melky 6 weeks before, never able to confirm.
-PG: Also, Boras' guys are very careful, (or something to that effect).

#14 BellhornIsGod

• 173 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Seems like a string of rumors as they explain the interview now, talking about how Bertand basically had heard the rumors and told Felger to ask about it.

May just be baseless twitter rumors, mea culpa if true. But who the hell knows because this is legitimately exactly how the Melky situation went down.

#15 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,379 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

I feel like I should lock this, but will keep it open for now.

Edit: Moved to Radomski's Lounge.

#16 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

On his Twiitter account, Gammons calls Cano rumor a fabrication, unfounded, asks social media to "get it right."
This doesn't reflect well on the old coot.

Edited by terrynever, 20 September 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#17 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,288 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I don't expect the Yankees to cough up first place. And I don't expect Cano to get busted for PEDs.

But both are wickedly exciting possibilities, especially in the context of the unrelenting suck that is the Boston Red Sox of 2012.

#18 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,379 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hence the all caps title. :)

#19 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,170 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

On his Twiitter account, Gammons calls Cano rumor a fabrication, unfounded, asks social media to "get it right."

Sure it does. He basically said the same thing in the radio interview

#20 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,655 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Dan Tordjman, a newscaster in North Carolina, started this whole thing.

@DanTordjman Can't confirm this but I'm hearing that Robinson #Cano tested positive for PEDs. Announcement from #MLB coming shortly.

#21 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

You mean he's the the only one that went without sources on a rumor. The story has been out there for weeks.

Edited by SoxScout, 20 September 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#22 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5,787 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

How do you figure? He got directly asked about the rumor and said there was no proof. The only thing he admitted was that the rumor was out there. He didn't start it, nor did he say anything to monger it.

#23 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,379 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, I'm changing the title.

#24 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,775 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

How do you figure? He got directly asked about the rumor and said there was no proof. The only thing he admitted was that the rumor was out there. He didn't start it, nor did he say anything to monger it.

Gammo was a little coy. In a response to a question about the rumors, which he said he had heard about 3 weeks ago, he noted that Cano was a Boras client and those guys were "pretty careful".

#25 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,170 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Newsday:

A tweet from a television reporter in Charlotte, N.C., asserted that the second baseman would be suspended soon.

"Can’t confirm this but I’m hearing that Robinson Cano tested positive for PEDs," the tweet read. "Announcement from MLB coming shortly."

There was no such announcement and by all accounts there isn’t expected to be one. About an hour after his initial tweet, the reporter, apparently facing a backlash online, tweeted: "Good God. Everyone calm down. Don’t know how clearly I can state it - I HAVE NO CONFIRMATION THAT CANO PED RUMOR IS TRUE."

That guy's an idiot

#26 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,379 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

The last item in Olney's Insider column today, FWIW:

"Robinson Cano's denial of information that was never true was published all over the place. In a better world, the bad information would never be published, nor the denials."

#27 steveluck7

• 1,148 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

My hunch is that he probably did get a positive test, appealed, and his B sample was clean. I feel like whenever a specific player is linked to a positive test, it's usually true.

#28 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,493 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

News to Buster: in a better world, cheaters wouldn't cheat and liars wouldn't lie.

#29 Sausage in Section 17

• Poker Champ

• 691 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Gammo was a little coy. In a response to a question about the rumors, which he said he had heard about 3 weeks ago, he noted that Cano was a Boras client and those guys were "pretty careful".

Couldn't this just mean that they review anything they put in their bodies with a close eye? Haven't there been many cases (not so much in baseball) where people failed tests based on OTC medicine or other basically harmless items? I don't think testing clean is as easy as not injecting steroids or HGH. You do actually have to be careful.

Gammons may not be what he once was, but the only mistake he made here, if any, was appearing on a show that deals in rumor-mongering.

#30 Punchado

• Nippy McRaisins

• 2,636 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I hate the Yankees as much as I hate Nazis but I don't understand how anyone would be excited about an awesome player testing positive for PED. It would seriously bum me out if he was a cheater. He sucks because of the team he plays for but he's awesome besides that.

#31 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,288 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

I hate the Yankees as much as I hate Nazis but I don't understand how anyone would be excited about an awesome player testing positive for PED. It would seriously bum me out if he was a cheater. He sucks because of the team he plays for but he's awesome besides that.

Oh, that's an easy one.

Here's an immediate, non-exclusive list of why Cano's suspension would bring me tremendous and unmitigated joy:

1. It would make it more difficult for the Yankees to win a World Series in 2012.

2. It would cause many Yankees fans -- particularly some awesomely jerky, entitled and arrogant ones in my immediate orbit -- great frustration, angst and sadness.

3. A 50 game suspension would hurt the Yankees in the beginning of the 2013 season.

4. For now, I don't give one shit about Robinson Cano, the man. He's a tool of the Bronx Stormtroopers in my book, and nothing more. If and when he moves on from MFY Land, I will expand my comic book level analysis of him.

#32 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,775 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Couldn't this just mean that they review anything they put in their bodies with a close eye? Haven't there been many cases (not so much in baseball) where people failed tests based on OTC medicine or other basically harmless items? I don't think testing clean is as easy as not injecting steroids or HGH. You do actually have to be careful.

Gammons may not be what he once was, but the only mistake he made here, if any, was appearing on a show that deals in rumor-mongering.

It could mean several things, either totally innocent or suggestive. IMO it was just an curious way for Gammons to discuss the rumor. and answer the question. He gave no color or meaning to the word "careful", but thought it worth mentioning.