Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Patriots at Ravens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3651 replies to this topic

#1 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6804 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

Fuck Bernard Pollard. That is all.

#2 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

That says it all. Far as I'm concerned, we can lock the thread.

#3 Ralphwiggum

• 1301 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

He was on with Toucher & Rich this morning and fuck if the guy didn't come across as very likeable. They even played a bunch of 10 second clips of fans telling him what they though of him and he played along and laughed with them.

Still, F him.

#4 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16060 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Bernard Pollard: 'I'm playing, it's going to be all good."

Aaron Wilson

http://www.baltimore...0,4975262.story

#5 Turrable

• 2168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Anyone going? I thought about it but I'd prefer to not die

#6 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11268 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

In keeping with the forum title, truly a game threaT.

#7 ilol@u

• 1773 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I would be happy with either of two scenarios:
A: Win.
B: Have Bernard Pollard tear his ACL/MCL.

#8 Dollar

• 3154 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

Anyone going? I thought about it but I'd prefer to not die

I'm right with you. I keep looking at the ticket market, then realizing that watching from my couch would allow me to stay alive.

#9 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8178 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Two things really stood out about that Ravens game in Baltimore in 2007. One was how hostile the fans were, from beginning to end. I've never been to a game in Oakland, but the Bal'more crowd made Jets and Iggles fans look like sweeties.

The other thing was how loud it got on third downs and really whenever the Pats had the ball on offense. And the Pats really did seem to be affected by it at times.

That Baltimore team wasn't a serious contender and that game, for them, was more about ruining the perfect season than anything else.

Let's hope that whatever BB is doing to get them ready will help.

The Patriots are expecting the environment inside M&T Bank Stadium to be hostile, so they have pumped in loud music during practice this week. When things get loud Sunday night, having everyone on the same page and in the right place — things that might get taken for granted — should be put to the test.

“Communication is going to be huge for us, especially with the change of tempo and things like that,” linebacker Jerod Mayo said. “So it’s my job trying to help everybody get lined up.”

http://www.bostonglo...YcJJ/story.html

Edited by TheoShmeo, 21 September 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#10 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22680 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Start strong. I'd take the ball if possible and try and score first. If they can get up two scores (10-0 or 14-0) early, that will help take the crowd out.

#11 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

The crowd noise will be something, to be sure. But what really takes this game up a notch or three - other than being an AFC title game rematch with likely playoff seeding implications for this year - is that both teams are coming off tough losses and will be in an appropriately foul humor coming into Sunday night's tilt. Game of the week, no question.

The sad thing is (and apologies if this is in the wrong thread), I'm just hoping the replacement zebras are able to keep things under control in a nationally-broadcast game of such intensity, and I'm honestly worried that they aren't up to the task.

Oh yeah, and fuck Bernard Pollard. Sure, there are are plenty of guys who are hated by one fanbase or another for a variety of reasons who are actually decent dudes off the field. But this motherfucker almost certainly cost us another title last year. Not to mention a year of Brady's prime where they went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassell at QB. He can die in a fire.

WIN.

#12 TheoShmeo

• 8178 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Start strong. I'd take the ball if possible and try and score first. If they can get up two scores (10-0 or 14-0) early, that will help take the crowd out.

True, though BB is a big believer in getting the ball after the half on the road when the 12 minute half time leaves a lot of patrons in the can or beer lines and the stadium -- even in Queen City -- is much quieter than at any other point during the game.

Edited by TheoShmeo, 21 September 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#13 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14172 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Reports of a less-than-100% Mankins make this an even tougher hill to climb for the Pats Sunday night.

#14 loshjott

• 3739 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

True, though BB is a big believer in getting the ball after the half on the road when the 12 minute half time leaves a lot of patrons in the can or beer lines and the stadium -- even in Queen City -- is much quieter than at any other point during the game.

Charm City, unless the game is being played in Cincinnati.

Oh, and win.

#15 TheoShmeo

• 8178 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Charm City, unless the game is being played in Cincinnati.

Oh, and win.

Oops. Brain fart. It didn't seem so charming in week 13 of the 2007 season. Though Rexy's blunder was indeed that....

#16 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Actually any city that is the largest in a state while not being the capitol is generally referred to as the queen city of that state. So it applies to Baltimore as well.

#17 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12010 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Will be in attendance. The place will be very noisy, the crowd pretty well behaved.

Hoping for a Pats win. Will be satisfied if they play well and emerge w/o serious injury.

The most fascinating matchup will be when Pats are on defense. This will be a good test, especially with Flacco running no huddle much of the time.

#18 Turrable

• 2168 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Two things really stood out about that Ravens game in Baltimore in 2007. One was how hostile the fans were, from beginning to end. I've never been to a game in Oakland, but the Bal'more crowd made Jets and Iggles fans look like sweeties.

The other thing was how loud it got on third downs and really whenever the Pats had the ball on offense. And the Pats really did seem to be affected by it at times.

That Baltimore team wasn't a serious contender and that game, for them, was more about ruining the perfect season than anything else.

Let's hope that whatever BB is doing to get them ready will help.

http://www.bostonglo...YcJJ/story.html

I'm not nearly as worried about the noise affecting our offense as I am about it affecting the scab refs. If ever there were a game to be the tipping point that pushed their clown show over the edge to full-on disgrace, I fear this is it.

Edited by Turrable, 21 September 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#19 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9911 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Pollard better not cripple another Patriot player...

Edited by soxhop411, 21 September 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#20 MetSox1

• 316 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Actually any city that is the largest in a state while not being the capitol is generally referred to as the queen city of that state. So it applies to Baltimore as well.

Will be in attendance. The place will be very noisy, the crowd pretty well behaved.

Hoping for a Pats win. Will be satisfied if they play well and emerge w/o serious injury.

The most fascinating matchup will be when Pats are on defense. This will be a good test, especially with Flacco running no huddle much of the time.

I'll be there as well. With a friend wearing her purple. Hoping that that will help me dodge the crap that will be flung my way as I proudly wear the red white and blue.

Win AND destroy Pollard's knees.

#21 Norm Siebern

• 2745 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Was offered two tickets but had to turn them down. Too expensive, times are tough. I went to the Ravens preseason game against the Lions on a freebie and was struck by how loud the game was for even an exhibition. I screamed at Pollard at the top of my lungs and received the requisite glares and stares, but unfortunately he stayed healthy. I do hope he has a career threatening run in with a large carnivore at some point soon in his future. Fuck him. Absolutely cost the Patriots a Super Bowl title last year. If he injures another Patriot player I'm not sure what would happen after.

A friend who is a die hard Ravens fan is convinced the game will be a bloodbath and the refs will be powerless to stop it. She counts it as already done that Brady's season will end due to a cheap shot and is worried what will happen in retribution to a Ravens player.

Edited by Norm Siebern, 21 September 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#22 54thMA

• 1592 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Was at the Ravens game in 2007, was also at the playoff game in LA back in 1986, Raiders fans were choir boys compared to some of the loons at the Ravens game.

And yes, fuck Pollard, he's also the guy Welker was trying to avoid as he blew out his knee in Houston, that's three players he's crippled and two titles he's cost the franchise as far as I'm concerned, the prick.

#23 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7176 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Guessing the inactives:
RB Vereen
TE Hernandez
TE Fells
DL Deaderick
DE Bequette
CB Dennard
DE Francis

#24 redsox102704

• 214 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

The Arizona loss was tough - more so because it wasn't televised where I am. I had to watch the scores scroll by on other games. I caught the last plays on ESPN Gamecast. However, looking back now, I'm not as pessimistic as I was earlier this week. My reasoning is as follows:

Blocked punt leads to an AZ TD. A play like that happens maybe once a season.
Missed 2 point conversion. Considering how rarely the Pats go for two, that happens about once per season.
Missed FG - happens about once per season (from that distance).

I'll gladly chalk up that loss as a fluke. Everything that rarely happens just happened to occur in the same game. Really, what are the odds that three rare plays will ever ALL go against the Pats (in the same game) again?

At least the loss was a non-conference loss, so they will still have the chance to win the "best conference record" tie-breaker if it comes to that. Even if they lose to Baltimore, they will have just two really tough games left this season, and they are both at home (SF and HOU). Hopefully, those teams will come back down to Earth when it's time to play the Pats. Schedule wise, the football Gods are on the Pats side. They get BAL after a loss, and they don't have to play HOU or SF now when those teams are red hot.

By the way, has anyone heard a report on Aaron Hernandez? I've been watching ESPN every day, but I haven't seen any new news. I thought the Pats were going to release a report on Wednesday. Hopefully he won't miss much more than a month. Other than the tough game this week, they should be able to survive without him for the rest of the first half. If he's back to 100% in the second half, especially when HOU and SF come to town, I'll feel much more comfortable about their chances of going deep into the playoffs.

Edited by redsox102704, 21 September 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#25 Stu Nahan

• 3809 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Win. Just win. It's time to rebound just like this group has so many times over the years. My only worry is that defense and these refs. It won't take much for a cheap shot to happen. I love a multi-billion dollar industry fighting over pennies.

#26 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15308 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I find it weird that Pollard is so hated.

#27 Turrable

• 2168 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yeah he came off well on Toucher and Rich. None of those injuries were really his fault.

#28 Blue Monkey

• 648 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Are you kidding me? He blew up brady's knee with his helmet making a headfirst lunge. Probably wasn't trying to tear it apart. But still he accomplished what he set out to do.

#29 Reverend

• through the velvety hallway

• 23278 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

True: I believe he was credited with a sack on the play.

Win.

#30 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7176 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

True: I believe he was credited with a sack on the play.

False. It was a completed pass to Moss, who then fumbled.

#31 Turrable

• 2168 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

The Brady play was more shitty blocking than anything.

The others are just stupid to blame Pollard for. He never even touched Welker.

#32 Norm Siebern

• 2745 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Pollard was working on Gronkowski's lower legs the whole game. I just watched the replay of that game on NFL network, and he consistently was twisting the ankles and lower legs at the end of tackles.

Cheap shot bastard. I hope he gets eaten while on a safari. Or mauled by a bear.

#33 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15308 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Pollard was working on Gronkowski's lower legs the whole game. I just watched the replay of that game on NFL network, and he consistently was twisting the ankles and lower legs at the end of tackles.

Cheap shot bastard. I hope he gets eaten while on a safari. Or mauled by a bear.

Do you think that is unusual among NFL defenders?

#34 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7176 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Guessing the inactives:
RB Vereen
TE Hernandez
TE Fells
DL Deaderick
DE Bequette
CB Dennard
DE Francis

Deaderick, Dennard, Francis, and Hernandez are all definitely out.

http://espn.go.com/b...nard-downgraded

I'm kind of surprised Dennard hasn't hit IR; he's like sixth on the depth chart now, right (McCourty / Arrington / Moore / Dowling / Cole)? And they usually play a 3rd safety (Wilson) in the dime anyway.

#35 TheoShmeo

• 8178 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Bill has an easy, "us against the world" motivational tool available to him as nearly everyone is picking the Ravens.

For example:

http://espn.go.com/b...ction-roundup-2

#36 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5030 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

I think this is your typical bounceback game for the staff. Players admitted a bad week of practice last week. The win over Tenn now looks like beating the JV after their week 2 game. The Globe even ran a "can the Pats go 16-0" story last week.

So Belichick gets to spend all week with the "Do I have your attention now" attitude. I think he's got it. 31-16.

#37 Adrian's Dome

• 2491 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Gimme game. 3 points either way. 24-21 good guys.

#38 Soxy Brown

• 2453 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'm not nearly as worried about the noise affecting our offense as I am about it affecting the scab refs. If ever there were a game to be the tipping point that pushed their clown show over the edge to full-on disgrace, I fear this is it.

There's already been a few mentions about the penalty discrepancy between home teams and away teams this year, and how that could be related to the replacements refs:

So far this season, there have been 231 penalties against visiting teams and only 188 penalties against the hosts. That ratio — road teams having to deal with 23% more penalties — is far out of line with historical data, which informs us that road teams had 7% more penalties enforced against them than home teams from 2000 to 2011.

According to SportsInsights.com, home teams in the N.F.L. have beaten the point spread in 61.3 percent of their games this season; that is more than 10 percentage points higher than the rate from 2004 to 2011.

“It’s a given fact in Las Vegas that, generally, the less experienced an official is in any sport the more likely he is to be influenced by the home crowd,” said R. J. Bell, a gambling analyst who is the chief executive of Pregame.com. “It’s not unreasonable to think that’s what we’re seeing.”

link

It's way too early to say if this is because of the refs, and not merely SSS noise, but probably worth noting.

Also, Torrey Smith's younger brother died in a motorcycle accident early this morning (link). Apparently he says he's still going to play.

#39 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41788 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Dennard is out again.

#40 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16060 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Need the defense to really step up today and prove they are a great unit. Could be a defining game for such a young team. How will they respond to a hostile environment? Play fast and physical. O-line has to protect 12. I'd even have se designed rollouts to protect the line. Establish Ridley early and run right at them. Use their aggressiveness against them and run counters and draws.

Punch these fuckers in the mouth and they'll fold. Baltimore has always been a bunch of front runners so if they are behind they can't talk their shit.

Win.

#41 amarshal2

• 2611 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I suspect if the Pats win this game we'll be talking about the defense. Could be their coming out game. Hard to see the offense really lighting it up considering history and current circumstances.

#42 bigsid05

• 850 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Brady has historically been terrible against the Ravens. I don't see that changing. Defense will need to step up big time.

#43 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

As the game approaches, I find myself feeling better about this one. Yes, I think that Vegas has the line right at Ravens giving a field goal. But to paraphrase the way Simmons has joked about it - they're something like 943-2 following a loss with Brady at QB. Those first couple of practices and film sessions following last Sunday's gag job (at least on the offensive side of the ball anyway) couldn't have been too pleasant for the Pats. However the inflated oblong bounces, I think they're going to be ready.

Also, I'm of the not-entirely-objective opinion that our linebacking corps may already be one of the best in the league, especially with flexibility that Hightower now gives them. It even seems that Wilfork, who has been absolutely beasting, has been feeding off their energy. I think they make a play or two, or get Flacco to make a bad throw or two, tonight.

I hate having to wait all day for this.

#44 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21397 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

This is gonna be a street fight.

#45 Rico Guapo

• 409 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Fucking win.

#46 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

The offensive line has to play a lot better for us to win. I don't think we have to dominate the interior, but if Dockett and Pollard were killing us last week, Ngata and Lewis will eat us alive.

#47 Ferm Sheller

• 4461 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

ESPN reporting that Winslow will be active tonight.

#48 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11029 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

This is gonna be a street fight.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Very physical game upcoming.

#49 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41788 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Holmes not talking shit after that play.

#50 notfar

• 951 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Nice preview of the matchup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users