Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Billy Connors fired or demoted or something

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17148 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Not so clear as of yet, but I thought worth noting:

http://www.nypost.co...TNHPwkXGjdqt4ZM

#2 derekson

• 3551 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Way to bury the lede: http://www.nypost.co...&obref=obinsite linked at the bottom of the article. What the hell?

It seems like Connors has been around forever. I guess another round of young arms falling apart due to injuries was the final straw?

Edited by derekson, 19 September 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#3 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9589 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Way to bury the lede

This brought a tear of joy to my eye.

#4 someoneanywhere

• 3162 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

This brought a tear of joy to my eye.

Aye. Seems like old times.

#5 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6189 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

I would think Billy is taking the fall for Pineda getting drunk in Tampa, where Connors works. The problems encountered by Banuelos and Betances would be pinned on the AAA pitching coach if a scapegoat were needed.

Billy was a guy who rarely missed a free meal at local restaurants. He was The Boss's buddy, his liaison to what was going on elsewhere. This is a final victory for Cashman over the old regime run by The Boss.

#6 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14869 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Aye. Seems like old times.

Or new times; "lede" is a comparatively new (mis?)spelling in this context; it's a few decades old, but basically only found in the US. "Bury the lead" is the old/traditional spelling.

Webster's online finally has "lede" as of recent years, but AFAIK it's not in their print edition yet.

#7 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6189 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Or new times; "lede" is a comparatively new (mis?)spelling in this context; it's a few decades old, but basically only found in the US. "Bury the lead" is the old/traditional spelling.

Webster's online finally has "lede" as of recent years, but AFAIK it's not in their print edition yet.

Newspaper people been spelling it "lede" in office memos for a long, long time. It goes back to the 1960s for me.