Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Dammit, Mauro Gomez needs a thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37123 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Tonight's 2-run single was just his second pinch-hit in 9 attempts, but in 67 non-pinch PA's he's put up a .313/.365/.493/.858 line. With runners on, he's now 14-for-32 with a .438/.457/.625/1.082 line. With RISP he's now 10-for-21 with 15 RBI and a .476/.500/.762/1.262 line. He's mashing breaking balls, rather than just sitting on fastballs, and he's been capitalizing on pitchers' mistakes.

What's his role beyond this season? Hard to say, though if I had to bet he'll again be riding the Pawtucket shuttle in 2013. He just turned 28 so he's no spring chicken. While he can play 1B and 3B he's slow afoot and not really good at either position. Truth be told, he sucks at the hot corner. Not sure he's a guy you can keep on the bench in a full-time corner utility role.

Despite his success at the plate, I'm not convinced he'd be an effective DH in the unlikely event the club parts ways with Ortiz. With enough exposure, I think opposing pitchers are eventually going to find the holes in his swing. But I'm also not sure I'm ready to see him traded to another AL team so he can prove me wrong.

#2 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 24567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hanshin was reportedly interested in bringing him to Japan

https://twitter.com/npbtracker/status/245420981689135104
link to tweet

What would a Gomez/Loney platoon do at 1B? It would be inexpensive certainly, and Loney could always come in late for defense.

#3 Alcohol&Overcalls

• 1199 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

What would a Gomez/Loney platoon do at 1B? It would be inexpensive certainly, and Loney could always come in late for defense.

Loney's career line v. RHP is .295/.352/.441 - obviously he could pick up something in translation from Chavez Ravine to Fenway, but there are probably options that are just as cheap that can carry the long half of the platoon a little bit better.

#4 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6817 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

People keep saying that a mashing 1B should be one of the easiest positions for the Sox to fill on the cheap, but the only way I see that as true is if you accept some warts. There is a reason that truly elite hitters (some with good defense like Pujols, Votto, and even Adrian Gonzalez) and others who are just DH's playing the field (ala Fielder) got massive contracts. Truly elite hitters are going to get paid in the post-steroid era.

If you really believe that finding a mashing 1Bman is easy, Gomez looks like the litmus test for me; the Sox don't have to scour the waiver wire or AAA to find that guy, he's on the roster now and they can pay him the minimum next year. I don't think they'll find anyone significantly better than Gomez for nothing, so it's really a matter of if you think the Sox can live with poor defense at 1B or if they need to expend significantly more resources to fill the position.

I happen to think 1B defense is more important in Fenway, as balls that that are shot down the line are one weird carom away from a triple or more, but I don't see any options worth paying for next year.

#5 catomatic

• thinks gen turgidson is super mean!!!

• 723 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hanshin was reportedly interested in bringing him to Japan

https://twitter.com/npbtracker/status/245420981689135104
link to tweet
link to tweet

I would like to go on record as saying I love this idea. I think Loney is due for a bounce back year. You won't have to invest heavily to find out, and I would really like to see what Gomez can do with more regular PT. WMB comes back healthy, Pedey has hired a night nurse, Iggy and Kalish will be coming off a season of winter ball. Ellsbury in a contract year, they will find some complementary pieces and pitching, cash in on some injury karmic correction and presto chango, they are a team on the rise.

#6 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25845 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

I would like to go on record as saying I love this idea. I think Loney is due for a bounce back year. You won't have to invest heavily to find out, and I would really like to see what Gomez can do with more regular PT. WMB comes back healthy, Pedey has hired a night nurse, Iggy and Kalish will be coming off a season of winter ball. Ellsbury in a contract year, they will find some complementary pieces and pitching, cash in on some injury karmic correction and presto chango, they are a team on the rise.

There are basically three problems with a Loney/Mauro platoon.

1) Assuming Ortiz is returned, this would mean that you have three players covering 1B and DH which is terrible roster management.

2) At best you have a situation where Mauro Gomez and Loney are both hitting well against righties and terribly against lefties.

3) Loney can't hit anyone at all anymore.

I think the better option is to bring Morneau in, find some scrub OFer who can hit lefties a little, and platoon Morneau and Ortiz at first and Ortiz and Scrub at DH with scrub, of course, also being your fifth OF.

Also, find a regular OFer who doesn't suck against lefties.

#7 Drek717

• 1923 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

1) Assuming Ortiz is returned, this would mean that you have three players covering 1B and DH which is terrible roster management.

2) At best you have a situation where Mauro Gomez and Loney are both hitting well against righties and terribly against lefties.

I think the better option is to bring Morneau in, find some scrub OFer who can hit lefties a little, and platoon Morneau and Ortiz at first and Ortiz and Scrub at DH with scrub, of course, also being your fifth OF.

So Jerry Sands right?

RH with a nice line v. lefties in his limited MLB experience, plays 1B and corner OF. Great AAA numbers but has yet to convert them to MLB production. Sounds like the exact guy we should put into that role, let him see a few hundred ABs, and see if he proves something.

#8 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5277 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

First off, I can only assume you are drawing your conclusion about Mauro Gomez' split based on his 96 PA sample thus far this season. That makes absolutely no sense. I don't know where to find accurate career minor league splits anymore, but current season information is still available at MILB.com. Mauro Gomez had a .317/.362/.717 line against LHP and a .307/.375/.532 line against RHP at AAA this season. That's still a small sample size, but it's substantially larger than the MLB sample. The default assumption should be that he has a normal platoon split and will perform better against LHP and there is really no reason to disbelieve that default.

Secondly, I have never understood the line of reasoning presented in your first bullet point. There are four bench spots available. One needs to go to a catcher. Another needs to go to a utility infielder. A third needs to go to a 4th OF. (The bench infielder and outfielder need to effectively back up all positions. This can be accomplished through their versatility or versatility amongst starters. The important thing is that every position has 2 players who can play it.) That leaves one flex roster slot. Frequently, this roster slot goes to a 5th outfielder or extra utility infielder. However, the fact that neither of these positions is constantly filled indicates that neither is necessary. It seems like using the last roster slot to provide the bench with an offensive player good enough to back up 1B and DH as well as be deployed as a PH is a better use of limited roster space than to use it on a 5th outfielder or 6th infielder who will rarely, if ever, be needed. Now, it would be ideal if this player, since they won't be starting, had a bit more defensive versatility such that they can at least provide a bit of extra depth at other corners. I'm not saying that Gomez should definitely fill this slot. Sands is an equally appealing option and both have options so that isn't a factor in the decision. But, one of them is very likely to end up in this position and, in my opinion, it is a much better use of resources than opening the season with a Jason Repko or Darnell McDonald type as a 5th outfielder.

#9 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11179 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

First off, I can only assume you are drawing your conclusion about Mauro Gomez' split based on his 96 PA sample thus far this season. That makes absolutely no sense. I don't know where to find accurate career minor league splits anymore, but current season information is still available at MILB.com. Mauro Gomez had a .317/.362/.717 line against LHP and a .307/.375/.532 line against RHP at AAA this season. That's still a small sample size, but it's substantially larger than the MLB sample. The default assumption should be that he has a normal platoon split and will perform better against LHP and there is really no reason to disbelieve that default.

Don't know if they're accurate, but you can find ml platoon splits here:

http://mlsplits.drivelinebaseball.com/

It's not current past 2010, but the picture that emerges from it is that Gomez did show a reverse split at times in the low minors, which evened out to a non-split in A+ in 2009 and a slight normal split in AA in 2010. Based on all the information available, it appears that he does not have a consistent platoon split tendency in either direction.

#10 Plympton91

• loves a good bowl haircut

• 5900 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

It seems like using the last roster slot to provide the bench with an offensive player good enough to back up 1B and DH as well as be deployed as a PH is a better use of limited roster space than to use it on a 5th outfielder or 6th infielder who will rarely, if ever, be needed. Now, it would be ideal if this player, since they won't be starting, had a bit more defensive versatility such that they can at least provide a bit of extra depth at other corners. I'm not saying that Gomez should definitely fill this slot. Sands is an equally appealing option and both have options so that isn't a factor in the decision. But, one of them is very likely to end up in this position and, in my opinion, it is a much better use of resources than opening the season with a Jason Repko or Darnell McDonald type as a 5th outfielder.

I agree with this. And, I am thrilled to discover that Gomez has options. That means you can rotate Gomez, Sands, and a 5th outfielder on the Pawtucket-Boston shuttle depending on the current needs of the team. Need a corner outfielder, Sands is up. Need the better hitter against righties, Gomez is up. Need a 5th outfielder because someone is dinged up, call up Repko or similar.

The flexibility depends a lot on who the 4th outfielder is as well. If the starting outfield is Ross, Ellsbury, and really good FA, with Kalish as the 4th outfielder, then they have a lot of flexibility for the last bench spot. If they decide they like finishing last and go cheap with the last starting outfield slot by giving it to Kalish (who hasn't been healthy or productive since 2010) then they'll probably need more permanent outfield depth and have to keep a 5th outfielder around.

#11 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27856 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Gomez supposedly has teams interested in him in Japan; won't the Sox have to guarantee him a major league contract or risk losing him? I can't imagine that would be an issue given the dearth of talent, but I guess you never know, depends on what they think of him.

#12 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4814 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Gomez supposedly has teams interested in him in Japan; won't the Sox have to guarantee him a major league contract or risk losing him? I can't imagine that would be an issue given the dearth of talent, but I guess you never know, depends on what they think of him.

Gomez has a big league contract and he's under the Sox control until they give him his release. So I don't think he has a ton of leverage. If the Sox want to keep him, he's theirs.

#13 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25845 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Fair enough.

Secondly, I have never understood the line of reasoning presented in your first bullet point. There are four bench spots available. One needs to go to a catcher. Another needs to go to a utility infielder. A third needs to go to a 4th OF. (The bench infielder and outfielder need to effectively back up all positions. This can be accomplished through their versatility or versatility amongst starters. The important thing is that every position has 2 players who can play it.) That leaves one flex roster slot. Frequently, this roster slot goes to a 5th outfielder or extra utility infielder. However, the fact that neither of these positions is constantly filled indicates that neither is necessary. It seems like using the last roster slot to provide the bench with an offensive player good enough to back up 1B and DH as well as be deployed as a PH is a better use of limited roster space than to use it on a 5th outfielder or 6th infielder who will rarely, if ever, be needed. Now, it would be ideal if this player, since they won't be starting, had a bit more defensive versatility such that they can at least provide a bit of extra depth at other corners. I'm not saying that Gomez should definitely fill this slot. Sands is an equally appealing option and both have options so that isn't a factor in the decision. But, one of them is very likely to end up in this position and, in my opinion, it is a much better use of resources than opening the season with a Jason Repko or Darnell McDonald type as a 5th outfielder.

Yeah, I still don't like it.

In specific regard to Gomez, he's terrible at fielding any position at all.

In a more general sense, you're talking about someone whose sole role is to platoon at first base. I would much rather have a guy who can play both infield and outfield positions and pinch run and steal a base. That allows for much more flexibility in your 4th OF and UTIF pinch hitting. And, frankly, as long as we're going to have slow guys on the team, I want to replace them with a fast guy when a single stolen base can make a gigantic difference in winning the game but it's not something that happens so often I want to make it a make or break criteria for either the UTIF or 4th OF.

#14 mabrowndog

• 37123 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Not to hit the panic button or anything, but Mauro has struggled in the Dominican Winter League so far, hitting just .176/.300/.397/.697 with 3 HR, 9 BB and 21 K in 68 AB for Escogido. Yeah, it's a microscopic sample size, but the level of competition isn't exactly the majors -- or even AAA.

Not sure if there are any underlying explanations (dealing with an injury, playing with mechanical swing adjustments, etc.), but we might not want to pencil him into the RHH 1B/DH platoon slot for 2013 just yet.

#15 mabrowndog

• 37123 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Well, I guess we know Mauro reads SoSH. In his last 5 games he's 7-for-20 with 2 doubles, a HR, 3 BB, and an HBP (.350/.458/.600/1.058) to raise his off-season line to .216/.337/.443/.780

#16 mabrowndog

• 37123 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Despite the slow start noted two posts above, Mauro has been named the MVP of the Dominican Winter League. This on the heels of his MVP award for the IL.

Gomez played in 49 games for Leones del Escogido (Escogido Lions), hitting .242/.369/.455 with 10 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 33 runs scored, and 37 RBI in 178 at-bats. He led the league in runs scored and runs batted in, and had two game-winning grand slams.

So in his final 110 AB, he put up a .291/.405/.491/.895 line with 21 walks and just 23 Ks. Not too shabby.

#17 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13757 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Gonzo needs a pep talk/reality check from someone like Wade Boggs to convince him to do whatever it takes (30 bazillion grounders in infield drills, mixed martial arts, fencing, who knows what) to develop enough agility and fielding prowess to stick in the Bigs and make a lot of money.

#18 Plympton91

• loves a good bowl haircut

• 5900 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Can't help but wonder if the Red Sox feel like they have a little more leverage in holding up the Napoli deal unless he agrees to provide some downside protection as a result of Gomez's strong winter season. Is the any evidence that the Dominican Winter League performances are at all predictive for a player like him? How does Gomez's MLE compare with Napoli's projections?

#19 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4127 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Can't help but wonder if the Red Sox feel like they have a little more leverage in holding up the Napoli deal unless he agrees to provide some downside protection as a result of Gomez's strong winter season. Is the any evidence that the Dominican Winter League performances are at all predictive for a player like him? How does Gomez's MLE compare with Napoli's projections?

DWL performance doesn't translate to MLB. It's great that he did well and better than the alternative, but Anderson Hernandez used to hit .380 every winter and then was overmatched in AAA. The talent level is so inconsistent from team to team that there's little predictive value in any DWL performance.

Edited by Seabass177, 25 December 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#20 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9475 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

DWL has always seemed more like an opportunity to get reps in than some sort of talent match. Every year there is some guy who is a superstar in the DWL that we never hear from again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users