Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox acquire catcher Guillermo Quiroz from Seattle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37163 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

MLBTR

The Red Sox acquired minor league catcher Guillermo Quiroz from Seattle for cash considerations, the Mariners announced. The 30-year-old has experience in seven MLB seasons, and last appeared in the Major Leagues as a member of the 2010 Mariners.

Quiroz posted a .278/.362/.483 batting line in 347 plate appearances at Triple-A Tacoma in 2012 after signing as a minor league free agent last December. He also hit 15 home runs and represented the Rainiers at this year's Pacific Coast League All-Star Game.

BB Ref page

They've added him to the 40-man, but as of this morning he's not on the active roster. I'd assume he's just providing depth/insurance behind Salty & Lavarnway for the final weeks, since the Pawsox still need both catchers for the playoffs (Dan Butler, Mike Rivera) and neither is an MLB-caliber player anyway (Butler's likely headed for the Arizona Fall League at season's end).

What I'm unclear on is whether the Sox retain organizational rights to Quiroz for 2013, or if he's eligible for major or minor league free agency. I believe it's the latter, in which case the Sox shouldn't have had to give up anything beyond a $25 gift card at Starbucks for a month of his services.

#2 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22159 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Is there space on the 40 man? Or do they move WMB to the 60?

Considering how much the manager likes to DH his catchers, it's a good idea to have another catcher on the bench for these final days

#3 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4819 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

Is there space on the 40 man? Or do they move WMB to the 60?

Considering how much the manager likes to DH his catchers, it's a good idea to have another catcher on the bench for these final days

There have been 39 on the 40-man since the Punto trade (deducted four players, added two, activated Hill from the 60-day).

#4 mabrowndog

• 37163 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

There have been 39 on the 40-man since the Punto trade (deducted four players, added two, activated Hill from the 60-day).

Yup. The addition of Quiroz fills the sole vacancy.

#5 Lose Remerswaal

• 22159 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

Gotcha. I thought Not That Chris Carpenter was an addition to the 40 when he was called up. Shoulda checked the roster myself

#6 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5453 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

MLBTR

BB Ref page

They've added him to the 40-man, but as of this morning he's not on the active roster. I'd assume he's just providing depth/insurance behind Salty & Lavarnway for the final weeks, since the Pawsox still need both catchers for the playoffs (Dan Butler, Mike Rivera) and neither is an MLB-caliber player anyway (Butler's likely headed for the Arizona Fall League at season's end).

What I'm unclear on is whether the Sox retain organizational rights to Quiroz for 2013, or if he's eligible for major or minor league free agency. I believe it's the latter, in which case the Sox shouldn't have had to give up anything beyond a $25 gift card at Starbucks for a month of his services.

Quiroz for Lackey? Lol.

#7 mabrowndog

• 37163 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Quiroz for Lackey? Lol.

Lackey isn't nearly as valuable as a $25 Starbuck's gift card.

#8 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5453 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

Lackey isn't nearly as valuable as a $25 Starbuck's gift card.

He is if they pay the salary. Otherwise I agree and would even drop the gift card to $20 to get it done.

#9 mabrowndog

• 37163 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

No big surprise here, but Boston DFA'd Quiroz today to clear a spot on the 40-man, leaving 38 players. The two vacancies were filled by RHP Rubby De La Rosa and OF Jerry Sands as the Sox and Dodgers officially completed The Punto Trade.

MLB.com

#10 Lose Remerswaal

• 22159 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Which is why they didn't promote one of the minor league catchers instead of acquiring Quiroz, and then end up with a 40 man squeeze earlier.

#11 mabrowndog

• 37163 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Forgot to mention that Will Middlebrooks moving from the 15-day to the 60-day DL created the other roster vacancy.

#12 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3473 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

When does there stop being a 60-day DL? After the WS is over and the non-controlled players fall off the roster?

#13 mabrowndog

• 37163 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

And sadness shall reign over Boston and all of Red Sox Nation for decades to come, for the immortal Guillermo Quiroz has elected free agency after being outrighted to Pawtucket and refusing the assignment. Parting is such sweet sorrow...

FWIW, OF Jason Repko and 3B Nate Spears have already done the same. Adios, muchachos.

When does there stop being a 60-day DL? After the WS is over and the non-controlled players fall off the roster?

Correct, sir.

Edited by mabrowndog, 17 October 2012 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users